1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Hubris Anniversary Ale - Brewery Vivant

Hubris Anniversary Ale
No picture uploaded.

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  13.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SupaCelt on 01-29-2012)
Reviews by SupaCelt:
3.88/5  rDev +12.5%

This celebratory ale marks the one year anniversary of the brewery. The pour is deep amber. Minimal head off the pour which is expected with a monster of alcohol like this.

The nose has crusty brown sugar and caramel tones. Definitely some alcohol onboard, although it is not overpowering. Has the smell of a barley wine. The Belgian character is not evident in the nose likely due to the alcohol content.

The taste is sweet and caramel and toasty flavors are dominant. Brown sugar definitely lends some character. Some alcohol zip comes across the palate late making evident the strength of this one while contributing a bit of astringency.

The mouthfeel is appropriate. This brew is greatly fermented out and relies on some crystal for body and flavor.

Overall, this is a decent offering and an appropriate one for an anniversary. It is definitely a bell ringer and one glass is capable of causing satisfaction. The Belgian character does not seem appreciable as nuances are somewhat lost in the alcohol, but this brew is nonrtheless enjoyable.

SupaCelt, Jan 29, 2012
3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Sits in my chalice with light ruby hues and a wispy cap.

Aroma is very faint. What I do get is a hard candy sweetness, light brown sugar and preserves.

First taste I get a tart young cherry but having a difficult time of deciding tween tart or sour hmmm? Following is burnt sugar, raisin and slight bitterness. Somewhat of a Boones Farm acidic finish.

Medium carbonation with a jammy aftertaste.

If I did a blind taste test I would categorize this as a sour--flat out. This comes very close to Vivant's Tart Side of the Moon, IMO. For me this is okay, not being blown away. This is a meh....

joeseppy, Mar 31, 2013

enelson, May 08, 2013

CEDAMA, Jul 04, 2013
4.21/5  rDev +22%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a can of Brewery Vivant's Hubris Anniversary Ale last week for $4.89 at The Lager Mill. I like quads, but they aren't a style that many American Brewers make, so when I heard that Brewery Vivant was putting out a quad for their Anniversary, I knew I had to make sure to give it a try, so lets see how it goes. The can states it's 11.5%. No visible canning date, early 2013 Vintage. Poured from a tall 16oz can into my Belgium Chalice.

A- The can is their typical special release can with the label being pretty plain and it isn't that eye catching, it looks ok. It poured a real nice burnt orange color that was almost brown and was very hazy and it took on a nice ruby like hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I really liked the color.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had some Belgian candied sugar aromas to it followed by that medium funky Belgian yeast that Brewery Vivant likes to use, it's similar to the aroma from their Escofier and it reminds me of it. Up next I get some sweet malts and caramel aromas that are followed by a big strawberry preserve like aroma that I really liked and was much different than the dark fruit aromas that I was expecting. Towards the end I get some medium tart aromas followed by a real slight alcohol aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I've never picked up these aromas in a quad before, it's very nice and unique, but it's a ways away from being true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma. It starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a Belgian candied sugar flavor to it followed by a good amount of yeast that imparted that typical slightly funking and nicely tart flavors that I get in most of their specialty releases. Next comes some light sweet malts and caramel aromas followed by a good amount of some nice strawberry preserve flavors with just a slight bit of dark fruits. On the finish there is pretty much no bitterness just some sweetness and tart flavors and the alcohol was hidden very nicely, there's no way I would have guessed that this is 11.5%. It had a sweet, tart, and slightly fruity aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, much like the aroma it wasn't true to style, but it was still very nice and I enjoyed it regardless of what style it is and I couldn't believe how well the alcohol is hidden.

M- Pretty smooth, tart, clean, medium bodied, and it had a nice amount of slightly higher medium carbonation that worked well with this beer. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with this beer, but I wouldn't say the mouthfeel is true to style, all the quads I have had haven't been tart and have this much carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer, but it wasn't really true to style and it's not the best example of the quad, but that didn't take away from how much I enjoyed this beer, all the aspects of this beer worked well with each other and I found myself enjoying this beer much more than I thought I would especially for how different from the style it is. This beer had great drinkability, I can't remember a time when a beer above 10% was so easy drinking, it was smooth and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention and they kept me coming back for more and the alcohol was hidden really really well, i usually don't drink multiples of beers this strong but I could see drinking two maybe even three pints of this if I was in the mood, I would like to try this in the summer, it seems like the tartness and drinkability would be great for the warmer weather. What I liked the most about this beer was the flavor and aroma, they were both pretty good, unique and very memorable, I really liked the Strawberry preserve aspect. What I liked the least about this beer was the price, I know these kind of beers are a little more expensive to make, but if this beer was in the $3 range I would be happy and buy a shit ton of it, other than that there wasn't anything that I really disliked about this beer. I would buy this beer again in a heartbeat, in fact I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and see if I can get some more for the cellar, I sure hope it isn't all gone by now. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind a little tartness in their beer. All in all I was very happy with this beer, it wasn't anything like I expected and It for sure wasn't true to style, but it was all around very and enjoyable and good for what It is. Brewer Vivant is really putting out some quality beers, tartness was an aspect I never appreciated in beers till Brewery Vivant came along and they are quickly becoming the number one up in coming Brewery in Michigan in my opinion. great job with this beer Brewery Vivant, it wasn't the quad I expected, but it was still a hell of a beer nonetheless.

StoutHunter, Mar 13, 2013

weeare138, Apr 21, 2014
2.19/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.25

I've never had a quad like this....and I don't mean that as a compliment. There is Belgian yeast and malt hiding in there somewhere, but they are trampled by the sour and vinegar notes that dominate this beer. This was more like fermented fruit cocktail. I think my score would have been higher had this been labeled as a wild ale, but even as a wild, this was not a terribly tasty drink. As a quad, this was an epic miss and since everything I"ve had from BV has run to the tart, I question whether it is intentional and I don't have much plan to try anything from them in the future. Too bad, because the only thing the Michigan beer scene is missing is a first-rate Belgian-style outfit.

lurpy1, May 03, 2013