Hubris Anniversary Ale - Brewery Vivant

good

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: SupaCelt on 01-29-2012

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 57 | Reviews: 11

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%

16 ounce can into chalice, no canning date. Pours crystal clear reddish copper color with a small foamy off white head with decent retention, that reduces to a thin lace cap that lingers. Slight lacing on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of raisin, prune, apple, cherry, fig, pear, molasses, brown sugar, toast, floral, clove, pepper, candi sugar, and yeast earthiness. Nice aromas with good balance and complexity of malt and fruity/spicy yeast ester notes; with good strength. Taste of raisin, prune, apple, cherry, pear, molasses, brown sugar, clove, pepper, toast, floral, candi sugar, and yeast earthiness. Light fruity tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of light and dark fruits, brown sugar, molasses, toast, floral, clove, pepper, candi sugar, and earthiness on the finish for a while. Good balance and complexity of malt and fruity/spicy yeast ester flavors; with a light earthy/tart astringency on the finish, and no cloying sweetness. Light-medium carbonation and fairly full bodied; with a slick and lightly syrupy mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with only a small warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a good Quadrupel style. Good complexity and balance of fruity/spicy esters and malt flavors; and quite smooth to sip on slowly. An enjoyable offering.

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

4.21/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a can of Brewery Vivant's Hubris Anniversary Ale last week for $4.89 at The Lager Mill. I like quads, but they aren't a style that many American Brewers make, so when I heard that Brewery Vivant was putting out a quad for their Anniversary, I knew I had to make sure to give it a try, so lets see how it goes. The can states it's 11.5%. No visible canning date, early 2013 Vintage. Poured from a tall 16oz can into my Belgium Chalice.

A- The can is their typical special release can with the label being pretty plain and it isn't that eye catching, it looks ok. It poured a real nice burnt orange color that was almost brown and was very hazy and it took on a nice ruby like hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I really liked the color.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had some Belgian candied sugar aromas to it followed by that medium funky Belgian yeast that Brewery Vivant likes to use, it's similar to the aroma from their Escofier and it reminds me of it. Up next I get some sweet malts and caramel aromas that are followed by a big strawberry preserve like aroma that I really liked and was much different than the dark fruit aromas that I was expecting. Towards the end I get some medium tart aromas followed by a real slight alcohol aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I've never picked up these aromas in a quad before, it's very nice and unique, but it's a ways away from being true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma. It starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a Belgian candied sugar flavor to it followed by a good amount of yeast that imparted that typical slightly funking and nicely tart flavors that I get in most of their specialty releases. Next comes some light sweet malts and caramel aromas followed by a good amount of some nice strawberry preserve flavors with just a slight bit of dark fruits. On the finish there is pretty much no bitterness just some sweetness and tart flavors and the alcohol was hidden very nicely, there's no way I would have guessed that this is 11.5%. It had a sweet, tart, and slightly fruity aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, much like the aroma it wasn't true to style, but it was still very nice and I enjoyed it regardless of what style it is and I couldn't believe how well the alcohol is hidden.

M- Pretty smooth, tart, clean, medium bodied, and it had a nice amount of slightly higher medium carbonation that worked well with this beer. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with this beer, but I wouldn't say the mouthfeel is true to style, all the quads I have had haven't been tart and have this much carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer, but it wasn't really true to style and it's not the best example of the quad, but that didn't take away from how much I enjoyed this beer, all the aspects of this beer worked well with each other and I found myself enjoying this beer much more than I thought I would especially for how different from the style it is. This beer had great drinkability, I can't remember a time when a beer above 10% was so easy drinking, it was smooth and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention and they kept me coming back for more and the alcohol was hidden really really well, i usually don't drink multiples of beers this strong but I could see drinking two maybe even three pints of this if I was in the mood, I would like to try this in the summer, it seems like the tartness and drinkability would be great for the warmer weather. What I liked the most about this beer was the flavor and aroma, they were both pretty good, unique and very memorable, I really liked the Strawberry preserve aspect. What I liked the least about this beer was the price, I know these kind of beers are a little more expensive to make, but if this beer was in the $3 range I would be happy and buy a shit ton of it, other than that there wasn't anything that I really disliked about this beer. I would buy this beer again in a heartbeat, in fact I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and see if I can get some more for the cellar, I sure hope it isn't all gone by now. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind a little tartness in their beer. All in all I was very happy with this beer, it wasn't anything like I expected and It for sure wasn't true to style, but it was all around very and enjoyable and good for what It is. Brewer Vivant is really putting out some quality beers, tartness was an aspect I never appreciated in beers till Brewery Vivant came along and they are quickly becoming the number one up in coming Brewery in Michigan in my opinion. great job with this beer Brewery Vivant, it wasn't the quad I expected, but it was still a hell of a beer nonetheless.

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

3.52/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz can into a Half Acre tulip.

A- pours a dark copper with a 3" tan head. Glass is coated in thick lacing.

S- toffee, caramel, cherries, plums, booze

T- sweet molasses, plums, prunes, red wine, almost a anise note.

M- medium body and carbonation. Slick, syrupy and no dryness common to style.

O- pretty bad representation of the style. It has the dark fruit notes but other than tha is sweet and syrupy and that's about it. I would be pissed if I bought a 4 pack of this at $20+ !

3.97/5  rDev +14.7%

2.92/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

Had on tap at Brewery Vivant. Served in a tulip.

A: Pours a clear rose red color with a thin, off-white head forming on the pour. It recedes to a thin ring with minimal lacing.

S: Tart fruit skins with some stone fruit sweetness. Mild fruity yeast with a little chalky dryness. Light pale malts.

T: Tart cherries with some light wet oak. Pale malts with a mild red apple sweetness. Alcohol is noticeable but not hot.

M: Medium bodied with a drinkable nature to it. Boozy hotness is hidden. Medium carbonation.

O: This wasn't really a quad at all. It was ok, but a far reach from a quad and it was more of a delicate sour that spent little to no time in the barrel and was barely inoculated. Not a well put together beer.

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

4.5/5  rDev +30.1%

1.5/5  rDev -56.6%

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hubris Anniversary Ale from Brewery Vivant