Zaison Imperial Saison Ale - Brewery Vivant

Brewery Vivant visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: MichPaul on 05-12-2012

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zaison Imperial Saison Ale Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

4.68/5  rDev +28.9%

4.44/5  rDev +22.3%

4.39/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a tall boy of Brewery Vivant's Zaison Super Saison last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. This is the second beer in Brewery Vivant's Brewery Reserve series, I thought that the first one, Kludde was pretty unusual so hope this one turns out good, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but its a fresh spring release, pretty fitting for the season. Poured from a 16oz can into a tulip.

A- The can is pretty much the same as the other beer in the series. except it had a nicely drawn castle scene on the sticker, it looks pretty good. It poured a nice pale golden color that was kind of hazy and took on a nice bright orange tint when held to the light and it had two and half fingers worth of velvety smooth white head that left hardly any lacing and died down to a thin ring that eventually faded to nothing. This was a proper looking Saison but I wish it had some lacing and better retention.

S- The aroma starts off with lots of sweet malts that have a slightly wheaty and bready aroma. Next comes a pretty earthy hay and straw aroma followed by a slight tart aroma. Next comes those typical spice aromas that you get from the Belgian yeast followed by some citrus rinds and some peppery aromas. Towards that end I get some grassy and earthiness that could be from some hops. The aroma was pretty damn nice, and just how I would expect a well done Saison to smell and the extra alcohol didn't show up in the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, at the start I get some some pretty sweet malty and wheaty flavors followed by some nice lemon and orange rind flavors and a lighter amount of peppercorns. Next comes a little bit more sweetness with some grassy hay and a very slight funky slightly barnyard flavor followed by a little bit of tartness. Towards the end I get a really slight amount of alcohol followed by some more and sweet and tart flavors and a sweet, bready, and citrusy aftertaste. I really like the flavor of this beer, it had all those normal Saison flavors they just stuck out more and were much bolder I really liked that.

M- Pretty smooth, slightly creamy, crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied, and it had a lower amount of medium carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel is nice, it's much bigger then your normal Saison, but so is this beer, so it's needs a bigger body, it works out well.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a good example of a Saison, specifically the higher alcohol or Imperial Saisons, I haven't had many but this beer had all the nice flavors and aromas that I want from the style just way more intense. This beer had great drinkability, it's a bigger beer but the alcohol hardly shows, it goes down smooth, and has more then enough flavor to hold my attention, I wouldn't mind drinking on a four pack on hot day. What I liked most about this beer was pretty much every thing, but I thought the aroma and taste stuck as being especially good. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, I couldn't find one flaw with this beer and that doesn't happen very often, but I do wish it was a little cheaper and that this was a year round beer and not a limited release. I would buy this beer again, it's a little expensive but worth the price, in fact I will be picking up a four pack before this great beer disappears. If you like Saison's, but want something a little stronger with bigger flavors this beer is for you. I thought the first beer in the series was just ok, but Brewery Vivant really took it to the next level with this beer and it is pretty much everything I would want in a Super Saison, I might even try holding on to a can for a while to see if any of those light funky flavors get any stronger. Brewery Vivant did a great job with this beer and I can't wait to see what else they have in store for this series, I hope a Quad and Tripel show up in the near future, great job guys this is one awesome Super Saison. 2014 Update, so I did end up aging a few of these for a year and it got a little funkier and the spices really dropped off, I like it, but it's a different beer from when it was fresh. I might try aging one even longer to see what happens.

4.38/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I haven't had many Belgian beers, and hadn't been a fan of the style too much, but this beer is impressive!
This beer, as with all BV offerings, comes in a nice tall 1Pint can. It pours a nice golden color, with a nice medium head.
The smell isn't that impressive, but I can look past that when this taste hits me.
As for this taste, it's a perfect blend of citrus, hops and a bit of sour! The scary thing about this beer is how easy it is to drink with such a high ABV. And it's delicious too!
It's too bad this is a limited release in cans. I will be buying more of this, as well as looking for it at the brewery someday.

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

I stop by Vivant on my way back from a wedding and had to pick up some samples
This pours a slightly haze deep gold. The rocky white head fizzles away quickly like half an alka selyzelter.

The aroma is like orange, apricot and with some spice which is mostly pepper and something else. There is some low spicy hop aromas and some alcohol in the nose.

Wow it's like a hug hit to the palate with big thick layers of fruit and spicy the dominate flavors being orange, apricot and pepper. There is a moderately high bitterness and a fairly firm tartness like there tasting like they had used some orange peel. There is that belgian yeast quality in there with a hint of sourness. The hop type bitterness really hang in there after the fairly dry finish.

It a little thick for a Saison style with a medium-heavy body and high carbonation.

I didn't know what to think of with an Imperial Saison other than that sounds like a great idea. This really fits that description, it an assertive bold beer with the Saison characteristics amped up a few notches. It's a great concept and it's well executed.

4.32/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden-orange with thin head, but excellent lacing.

The aroma is fruity with subtle spice. Ever so slightly peppery. Very refreshing.

The taste is incredibly smooth considering the 9.0% ABV. This is perhaps one of the easiest beers to drink in that regard. Lemon and orange come through accompanied by a bit of hoppy citrus. After that fades away a bit of pine seeps through. The spices are very minimal while complimenting the drink quite well. Usually I find spices to be overdone, but this beer works incredibly well. Some mild funk is inside of this, and it has a bit of vinegar acidity at times.

The mouthfeel is quite smooth while having ample carbonation. The nature of the carbonation isn't one bit aggressive though. The finish is moderately dry and slightly sticky.

Overall, this was a very interesting brew. The "imperial" aspect of this saison is mostly noticeable in the slightly reinforced flavor, but the drinkability takes no hit whatsoever. I'll definitely stock up the next time that I see it.

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Can opened on 5.8.14

A - Pours a cloudy medium orange with a large light tan head that fades slowly.

S - Saison yeast, citrus orange, peppery.

T - Very orange and bright, a hint of pepper in the finish.

D - Light body with good carbonation.

O - Light and very orange heavy. Good stuff.

Zaison Imperial Saison Ale from Brewery Vivant