Tart Side Of The Moon - Brewery Vivant

Tart Side Of The MoonTart Side Of The Moon

Brewery Vivant visit their website

American Wild Ale |  9.80% ABV

(Beer added by: jmunsters on 03-06-2013)
Reviews by GRPunk:
GRPunk

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Can poured into a Chimay goblet.

A- Oh so dark. I don't know why I didn't figure on near pitch body based on the name. Somehow I'm reminded of soy sauce, brown head forms at 1/2 finger and quickly drops to the lightest film. Good stick.

S- Really unassuming at first. Dark bread, some licorice, maybe a hint of light smoke? Very light, tart fruit in beginning. Maybe a little chocolate. Warmth brings things forward. A little wine-like with some vinegar qualities. A little more chocolate. Actually, downright robust by the end.

T- Rich star is bready with a little chocolate. Very tart finish, mix of tart cherries and under-ripe berries. Hint of vinegar. A little woody.

M- Lots of carbonation at first. Sticky sweetness in a lingering finish. Quite full bodied.

O- It's good. It's pricy. Maybe a little more pricy than great. Nearly 10% ABV (9.8 I believe) doesn't present itself in a negative flavor or feel, but it sure catches up with a guy on an empty stomach.

04-21-2013 21:37:18 | More by GRPunk
tectactoe

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to Kevin for sharing one of these. Saves me having to gamble on a four-pack myself... Never know how sour-dark beers are gonna turn out, but I was excited for this one. Pours a dark and deep black color with some shimmering ruby-red peeking through and outlining the glass, only when held directly to the light. The cap is fine-bubbled, tan, and creamy, showing decent retention.

Aroma starts off with a bit roasty malts first and foremost. A mellow combination of tart and sweet outlines the edges of the roast; grapes, cherries, raspberries, apple skins. Despite the undeniable tart fruit notes, the roast never looses its mojo, though it's a softer and mellow type of roast rather than being over-the-top heavy; no real char or smoke here. Some subtle coffee notes, not getting much chocolate - maybe just a very, very small hint of cocoa powder, but I think I'm just stretching for that one. Surprisingly not as complex as I thought it would be. More so just an overlay of some fruity tartness on a body of conservatively roasted malt.

I've got a generic, medium-roast stout in one hand and a generic, tart-but-not-puckering wild ale in my other hand. I can't decide which one to drink first, so I shove both bottlenecks into my mouth and down the gullet they both go, side-by-side, flavors of two completely different monsters just attacking my palate at once. Welcome to Tart Side of the Moon. It's like a half sour / half stout, that isn't really that sour and isn't really that stout-y. Mildly tart cherry and apple skins hit first as the tartness quickly fades into more of a sweetness than anything.

It mellows out with a substantial dryness as the malts catch back up; roasted malts, coffee beans, faint cocoa. The whole thing kind of dies down into a creamy, roasted coffee coating that covers your mouth with an abbreviated cherry sweetness to it. Like using Amaretto flavored cream in your coffee. I also pick up some mild oak flavors in the finish that weren't found anywhere else. Medium bodied, thinner than expected with ample carbonation and a slick, oily mouth feel.

I'm still not too sure how I feel about sour stouts. This one wasn't bad, but it didn't blow my socks off or anything like that. It was good, but I don't know if I'd ever buy a four-pack myself. It's hard to get roasted and sour flavors to play nicely together. This beer was a solid attempt, and has kept my hope alive for advancement in the style, but it's not gonna be the one that swoons me for life. Definitely worth a try, though.

EDIT: 4/1/2013

After having had this a few more times from the can and once more on tap at Vivant, I feel compelled to bump the score up. The beer is still very enigmatic to me, completely explainable at times. Sometimes it's more sour than stout. Sometimes it's more stout than sour. But maybe that's part of the appeal. Whatever it is, something keeps bringing me back, and that's gotta count for something, right? I wonder how these will age.

EDIT: 4/29/2013

Again, every time I have this, I like it more and more. This time on tap at the Twisted Rooster. The roast was a little more subtle, allowing the tart flavors to stand out a bit more. Still never became overwhelming with tartness, though - very well balanced. Is the variation on this beer strong, or is age beginning to work its magic? I guess only some more time will tell. But I have to bump up the score a bit more. I enjoyed this last pint very much. Smell was a bit more damp and musty but the flavor was great.

03-21-2013 11:40:12 | More by tectactoe

Yukon (Canada)

06-25-2013 05:13:58 | More by jaminjohnson
joeseppy

3.71/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a very stoutish black with a dark walnut head. Flattens out like Lake Erie on a calm summer day with minimal to no carbonation.

Prominent aromas of a cross tween sauerkraut and tart cherry. Malty. Floral and earthy. Staying with it, I also get a smokiness and dark cocoa.

Can't say I'm not apprehensive. First I get the sourness, then get more of a dark roasted coffee and malt, back to sour. I'm not getting any fruit, wish I were.

Mouthfeel is thin with some stickiness from the malt. Sour roast lingers.

I like this better as it warms up. In simple terms, for me, a smoky sour. I thinks its worth a try to expand your horizons and have fun with different styles. Should be called 'Sour Side of the Moon'.

03-13-2013 01:30:09 | More by joeseppy

03-29-2013 02:04:59 | More by WolfKeeper
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.86/5  rDev -1.5%

Can: Poured a deep pitch-black color ale with a medium size dark brown foamy head with good retention. Aroma of roasted malt with tart cherry notes, some tart notes and some black chocolate. Taste is a complex and rich mix of cherry, roasted malt deep black chocolate notes with light lingering residuals sugar notes with plenty of fruits notes. Body is full with an oily texture and medium carbonation with no apparent alcohol. This is a very complex mix which is not as tart as I was expecting. I could see myself drinking this once in awhile but just too powerful for regular consumption.

05-24-2013 17:08:35 | More by Phyl21ca