Tart Side Of The Moon - Brewery Vivant

to view more.
Ratings: 332 | Reviews: 55
Reviews by Pillowburn:
3.78/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1 Pint can
Served in a goblet per directions on the can

L - It is black. No light is getting through this beer. It is topped with a modest mocha head that quickly disappears. There are minute traces of lacing.

S - I notice a tart smell. It is fruity. Cherry comes to mind.

T - The taste is somewhat unique. Dark, tart fruit intermingle with roasted malt. The Belgian yeast comes through with some spice as well. Alcohol is noticeable at times.

F - Full

O - It starts out great with the cherry and roasted malt flavors. The finish is a bit lacking for me. The spiciness of the yeast comes in and changes the flavor, cleansing my palate of what I crave. It is almost like a saison finish to a dark, tart beer. It is an interesting experience, but at $17 a four pack, I will probably not purchase again, unless it is on tap somewhere (I have seen it at Slow's).

4.61/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Can poured into snifter

A - Pours a deep black with a slight reddish hue when held to the light. Minimal carbonation, which is surprising for a "sour stout". Looks like a basic RIS.

S - The smell is very interesting. Versus other sour stouts I've had, the stout is very apparent in the nose. Smells more like a fruited stout, with hints of roast, coffee, cherries and raspberries. Smells very good.

T - Excellent. Well integrated stout roast with what tastes more like raspberries and blackberries then sour funk. A little sweet, a little sour, and a little bitter. On the back, some coffee bitterness washes away what sour there was and leaves a sweet aftertaste.

M - Can't find the 9.8% anywhere in this. Extremely drinkable. Almost refreshing for a stout. Not too thick and not too thin for the taste. It's quite juicy.

O - I am completely wowed by this one. Similarities to Lindley Park (although a bit more tart) and Raspberry truffle abduction (each flavor is much more integrated in this). This is definitely not a "sour stout" in flavor. It's more like a mimicked fruited stout. I hope this doesn't stay a one-off.

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Kevin for sharing one of these. Saves me having to gamble on a four-pack myself... Never know how sour-dark beers are gonna turn out, but I was excited for this one. Pours a dark and deep black color with some shimmering ruby-red peeking through and outlining the glass, only when held directly to the light. The cap is fine-bubbled, tan, and creamy, showing decent retention.

Aroma starts off with a bit roasty malts first and foremost. A mellow combination of tart and sweet outlines the edges of the roast; grapes, cherries, raspberries, apple skins. Despite the undeniable tart fruit notes, the roast never looses its mojo, though it's a softer and mellow type of roast rather than being over-the-top heavy; no real char or smoke here. Some subtle coffee notes, not getting much chocolate - maybe just a very, very small hint of cocoa powder, but I think I'm just stretching for that one. Surprisingly not as complex as I thought it would be. More so just an overlay of some fruity tartness on a body of conservatively roasted malt.

I've got a generic, medium-roast stout in one hand and a generic, tart-but-not-puckering wild ale in my other hand. I can't decide which one to drink first, so I shove both bottlenecks into my mouth and down the gullet they both go, side-by-side, flavors of two completely different monsters just attacking my palate at once. Welcome to Tart Side of the Moon. It's like a half sour / half stout, that isn't really that sour and isn't really that stout-y. Mildly tart cherry and apple skins hit first as the tartness quickly fades into more of a sweetness than anything.

It mellows out with a substantial dryness as the malts catch back up; roasted malts, coffee beans, faint cocoa. The whole thing kind of dies down into a creamy, roasted coffee coating that covers your mouth with an abbreviated cherry sweetness to it. Like using Amaretto flavored cream in your coffee. I also pick up some mild oak flavors in the finish that weren't found anywhere else. Medium bodied, thinner than expected with ample carbonation and a slick, oily mouth feel.

I'm still not too sure how I feel about sour stouts. This one wasn't bad, but it didn't blow my socks off or anything like that. It was good, but I don't know if I'd ever buy a four-pack myself. It's hard to get roasted and sour flavors to play nicely together. This beer was a solid attempt, and has kept my hope alive for advancement in the style, but it's not gonna be the one that swoons me for life. Definitely worth a try, though.

EDIT: 4/1/2013

After having had this a few more times from the can and once more on tap at Vivant, I feel compelled to bump the score up. The beer is still very enigmatic to me, completely explainable at times. Sometimes it's more sour than stout. Sometimes it's more stout than sour. But maybe that's part of the appeal. Whatever it is, something keeps bringing me back, and that's gotta count for something, right? I wonder how these will age.

EDIT: 4/29/2013

Again, every time I have this, I like it more and more. This time on tap at the Twisted Rooster. The roast was a little more subtle, allowing the tart flavors to stand out a bit more. Still never became overwhelming with tartness, though - very well balanced. Is the variation on this beer strong, or is age beginning to work its magic? I guess only some more time will tell. But I have to bump up the score a bit more. I enjoyed this last pint very much. Smell was a bit more damp and musty but the flavor was great.

3.72/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very stoutish black with a dark walnut head. Flattens out like Lake Erie on a calm summer day with minimal to no carbonation.

Prominent aromas of a cross tween sauerkraut and tart cherry. Malty. Floral and earthy. Staying with it, I also get a smokiness and dark cocoa.

Can't say I'm not apprehensive. First I get the sourness, then get more of a dark roasted coffee and malt, back to sour. I'm not getting any fruit, wish I were.

Mouthfeel is thin with some stickiness from the malt. Sour roast lingers.

I like this better as it warms up. In simple terms, for me, a smoky sour. I thinks its worth a try to expand your horizons and have fun with different styles. Should be called 'Sour Side of the Moon'.

3.02/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This beer looked fine, but the smell and flavor weren't appealing to me at all.

3.88/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Can: Poured a deep pitch-black color ale with a medium size dark brown foamy head with good retention. Aroma of roasted malt with tart cherry notes, some tart notes and some black chocolate. Taste is a complex and rich mix of cherry, roasted malt deep black chocolate notes with light lingering residuals sugar notes with plenty of fruits notes. Body is full with an oily texture and medium carbonation with no apparent alcohol. This is a very complex mix which is not as tart as I was expecting. I could see myself drinking this once in awhile but just too powerful for regular consumption.

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours from the 16oz can black with a thin head that removes itself quickly with little lacing. Smells of tart cherry, roasted coffee and unripe berries. Carbonation is moderate and the brew is a bit thick with a hint of alcohol.

Taste is tart cherry, roasted dark chocolate, coffee and green berries. Leaves the mouth a bit dry after, but the higher ABV is hidden well behind it all. A hint of brett gives a little funky farmhouse to the nose. The dryness almost feels like very fine cocoa dust left on your tongue which could be good or bad to a person. I down rated mouthfeel because of this personally.

Overall I was pretty hesitant paying $4.50 a pint for what was a mishap, but this was an awesome accident. This is going to stick as a favorite and I hope they choose to try for this again.

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

Can purchased at the brewery in late March. Poured in to snifter.

A - Pitch black with a thin layer of medium to dark brown head that immediately disappeared.

S - Tartness up front with a huge dark cherry aroma along with chocolate, roast and hints of toffee.

T - Tart dark cherry is the dominant flavour with chocolate, roast and some coffee notes present.

M - Medium body. Somewhat dry. Light carbonation.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A 9.8% dark sour farmhouse ale in a can? My interest is peaking so hard right now. Thanks hugonaut!

It is indeed dark - as dark as the darkest stout with a thin beige cap of carb.

Oooo... das nice. Powdery cocoa, mushy red berries show some tart characteristics... faint coffee, fermented chocolate, I like where this is going.

Quite the accurate description. Bright, tart farmhouse flavors layered with mocha, cherry, vanilla. One of the more interesting beers I've had lately. The natural cherry fruitiness fits nicely with both the roasted malt and the semi-sour saison flavors.

This tickles me precisely where I like to be tickled.

3.56/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle received as an extra in a recent trade.

Pours a dark, creamy looking brown, almost black, with a one inch head, and a lot of lacing.

This one has a slightly off-putting metallic aroma to it. This metallic aroma kind of overshadows the other aromas, which are admittedly good- including tart cherry and chocolate. Unfortunately these aromas seem slightly muted.

The taste has the same problem. I'm not sure if there were any canning issues, but this definitely has a sort of metallic issue to it. It makes everything else seem kind of muted- the "tart" side of the moon here is pretty weak, not much tart cherry or acidity at all. There's a little bit of funk behind some lightly roasted malt, and a good amount of chocolate.

This is medium bodied, with a crisp, slightly creamy mouthfeel, and a lower level of carbonation.

I had much higher expectations for this one, unfortunately it didn't live up to them.

3.57/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

16oz can from IAmJacksHopTongue that I have kept for almost 2 years now. Served in a goblet.

Pours black with a half finger of thin mocha foam that quickly disappears. Looks like a cola with a few bubbles at the edge but no lace whatsoever.

Smells of tart dark fruit, vinegar and mild roast with hints of cocoa in the background.

Full, robust flavors. Dark fruit, balsamic, roasted grains, cocoa, oxidation, vague tartness and a hint of alcohol. It rounds out almost like any aged imperial stout with those soft dark fruits, smooth roasted grains and mild oxidation. I've even had some aged stouts that have taken on a similar (but not quite as strong) tart and vinegar quality.

There is a pleasant creamy feel to its medium body but the carbonation has fallen flat. That tart fruit continues playing on the tongue in the aftertaste along with roastiness and faint cocoa.

Tart Side of the Moon (at least this aged can) is pretty good stuff. I enjoyed the well aged stout with the addition of a nice tart kick.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Seems more like a Belgian Stout than a wild ale to me, and it's a very good Belgian Stout at that. Has nice body for the style. A pretty strong, desirable cherry taste comes through, but I'm not getting much tartness. Hides the ABV very well. Strong effort, well worth the purchase.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a couple cans of Brewery Vivant's Tart Side Of The Moon a couple weeks ago for $4.09 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer on tap, I thought it was a good tart stout, I'm interested to see how the can version compares, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage First canned batch, fairly fresh. Poured from a a tall 16oz can into a Belgian Tulip.

A- I really like this can, it's a for sure upgrade from the stickerz they used in the past and the Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon theme is always a plus, I really like it and it's eye catching. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half worth of dark tan head that quickly died down to a very thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any lacing behind. This beer looks nice, but I wish there was a little more head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness to it that was followed by a nice tart cherry aroma with a lighter amount of funky Belgian yeast, the two aromas come together for a slightly funky tart cherry aroma with some black cherry in the background. Up next comes a nice medium vanilla aroma along with some lighter woody aromas along with a black licorice like aroma. Towards the end the dark roasted malts seems to show up with some roasted, chocolate, and light coffee aromas that seems to show up nicely in the background with the tart cherry aromas taking the lead. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I thought it was very complex and it wasn't overly funky, it sure is different, especially for a stout, but it's good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by sour and tart cherry that impart a medium tart to flavor which to me is right under the point where it can become almost mouth puckering and there's some nice black cherry flavors in the background along with some slight apple cider vinegar taste, Up next comes some vanilla and woody flavors along with a slight bit of barnyard funk and some dark bread and black licorice. On the finish is where the roasted malts seems to really show up imparting a roasted, chocolate and coffee like flavors that carries on to the aftertaste along with just a little more tartness and a lighter amount of bitterness. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the flavors were nice and true to it's name and I thought it was very complex with a lot of different flavors going on that somehow seem to go well together.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, a little dry, on the lighter side of being full bodied and it had a lower amount of medium carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a good beer, and it was a good example of what Brewery Vivant calls a Dark Farmhouse Ale, the flavors were pretty intense but not overwhelming and the flavors seem to work well with each other and it made for one complex beer. This beer had good drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention and keeping me coming back for more, I think I would be happy with a pint can of this, but if I was really in the mood I think I could drink two and I think this would be a great Stout to enjoy in the summer. What I liked the most about this beer was the complexity of the aroma and the flavor it was really nice, and it kept me coming back for more. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad. but the head and lacing could have been a little more appealing. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for something tart, I bought an extra can to throw in the cellar but I know I need to go back and get some more for the warmer weather and some more to throw in the cellar to see how it develops over time, it's slightly pricey at just over $4 dollars a can, but I think it's worth every penny and I would recommend this to anyone who likes tart and slightly funky beers. All in all i was very happy with this beer and a little impressed it was just as good as it was on tap and I think it's just and overall enjoyable beer and it's very unique, it's the first Sour Stout I have actually liked. Till Brewery Vivant came around I wasn't fan of these types of beers, but since then I have developed a big interest for ales that are on the wilder side and I thankthem for helping to plant that seed. Brewery Vivant is really bringing the heat and I can't get enough of the new wilder beers they have been putting out, they are easily becomes my favorite up in coming brewery in Michigan, good job guys, you steady blow my mind with these tart and funky beer's that on paper I shouldn't like, but once I try them I really like them, Brewery Vivant is the only brewery that has had that affect on me. This beer was on accident, but it's a great example of an accident gone right,

3.92/5  rDev +1%

Another wild ale in a can from Vivant - this time it's an imperial stout that they soured. Pint can into a stout glass.

A: Pours out black and thick, with a nice tan head. Looks like an imperial stout.

S: Smells of roasted malt, coffee, light acetic acid, dark chocolate.

T: Heavy roasted grain, moderate vinegar and cherry tartness, cocoa, slight metallic note, charred bread.

M: Thick-bodied with light carbonation.

O: Pretty good. The roasted malt could be toned down a bit.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into tulip glass from 16 oz can.

A: Pours a dark brownish black with 2 finger caramel colored head which fades quickly.

S: Rasberries, cherries, sours fruits.

T: Dark chocolate, cherries, sourness at the end with roasted malts.

M: Medium to heavy bodied. Leaves the mouth wet.

O: This is a completely different beer than what I'm expecting. I think Vivant may have said the same thing too. Its sweet, bitter and sour at the same time. Interesting beer.

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Acquired in a trade w/ Skrip, thanks again man!

A- The pour is far more stout-like than expected, black as night, large light-brown head with medium-large bubbles that recedes quickly with no lacing.

S- The aroma really piques my interest! Tons of dark roast and sweet malt give way to sweet dark fruits, sour fruit, apricot, cherries, and tart granny smith apples. Also some coffee and chocolate come through. One of the most complex and compelling aromas I've found in a beer!

T- The flavor mostly matches the nose, just less pronounced, with coffee and dark roasted malts at the forefront, sweet/caramel malts and dark fruits secondary, and the sour/tart flavors come through just enough to make their presence known. Very tasty, but some flavors could be a bit more pronounced.

M- The mouthfeel is medium to thick, somewhere between a porter and a stout, with light carbonation and a slight stickiness. A welcome touch of booze is present, but not much for a ~10% beer.

O- This absolutely exceeded my expectations! Probably the best dark wild/sour ale I've tried!

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My frame of reference here is Jolly Pumpkin's dark dawn stout , plus a lot of stout drinking in my years. Tart side is in a class of its own. Intense dark chocolate and cherry flavors, toasty malt with burnt candy sugar and an odd hop presence that reminded me of black olives. This was a pleasant surprise, it pours relatively flat and has a cherry red hue at the edge of the glass. The mouthfeel is not too syrupy, with a little bit of life to it that is absent from most heavier stouts. Hats off to vivant for releasing this unique brew.

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into Chimay chalice

Appearance-
Dark oil, definitely can't see through it. A thin tan head. Very pretty.

Smell-
Sour fruit up front, but quickly over powered by roasted coffee.

Taste-
I wish the taste followed the nose. The coffee taste still follows, but the sour fruit the dominating flavor. Interestingly, it reminds me a little bit of Stone's Vertical Epic 11-11-11 with a slight peppery taste at the end.

Mouthfeel-
Good thick coating, small bubbles.

Overall-
Very interesting beer, certainly unique, but I never need to try it again.

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark, but too thin looking to be described as motor oil-like. Dark tan fizzy head fizzles to nothing very quickly. No lacing.

S: Definitely tarty funk. Chocolate - loads of dark chocolate. Roasty chocolate. Sweetness coming across as dark fruits. The smell is really awesome.

T: Strong roast and java, backed with dark chocolate. Definitely tart, which becomes more evident with the strong sweetness of dark cherries.

M: Medium body. A bit boozy. Thinner than I think it should/could be. High carbonation.

O: I'm kinda all over the board on this one. The appearance wasn't bad, but not great. The smell was awesome and the taste was very good. The mouthfeel left a lot to be desired. Overall a nice beer, but definitely overpriced.

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Type: 16 oz can
Glass: Goblet
From: Plum Market in Ann Arbor
Price: $15

Appearance: pours a little motor oilish. dark brown almost black but with a hint of red. a small tan head that fades quickly and leaves nothing behind. good looking big beer

Smell: smoky malts, a touch of fruit.

Taste: Sour, cherries, slight coffee/roasted malts, bitter chocolate. very complex, very well balanced.

Mouthfeel: slightly bitter, slightly creamy, not as heavy as expected

Overall: This is an interesting beer. but i really like it. I like the bitterness being balanced by the sour, its an interesting take and turns out well. really glad i stumbled on this one. Loving Vivant and hope they keep up their interesting and unique Belgian beers. Definitely try some if you can find it

1.66/5  rDev -57.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a can into an Else Wear stem glass.

Dark brown-black pour, looked almost like a stout. Ample head, good retention. Funky, syrupy fruit in the nose, acetic. Blehh...taste was pretty bad, an oxidized mess, dark coffee roastiness, stale fruits, vinegar, used tea bags, medicine, wet cardboard. Massively off, and no tartness whatsoever. Tasted like a bad fruit beer mixed with a bad porter. No real comment to make on the mouthfeel, other than "undrinkable." I'm just glad this was a small sample.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

thanks to egrace84 for giving me a can of this beer to try out!

tallboy can poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: black bodied beer with 2 fingers of medium brown head. Drops quickly to a ring around the glass with no cap.

Smell: roast malts, milk chocolates, black cherries. hint of lactic sour note.

Taste: This beer starts off with roasty malts and mild bitterness. The cherries are not too far away from the start of the beer and offer a mild tartness with some tannic wood and earthy qualities into the beer. Its a little bit vinegary on the back end, might even come across as a briney flavor. Finishes with an ashy bitterness that lingers for a while.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Does feel like its almost 10% with well hidden abv. semi to moderately dry finish.

Overall: It tastes just like a soured imperial stout. Didnt get much of a farmhouse influence that was advertised to be a component of this beer and always a manstay of brewery vivants beers. But I guess that when I hear farmhouse I am thinking about brett flavors and yeasty beers most of the time. My 2nd sour beer in can! I think thats a cool little "novelity" in the craft beer world!

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a Duvel tulip

A: Very dark, almost black with a finger of tan head.

S: Tart cherries, berries, cocoa, and a little bit of funkiness.

T: Tart cherries, cocoa, and a little bit of woodiness. The cocoa flavor is what lingers after every sip.

M: Medium carbonation, medium body.

O: A great beer... I'm glad I was able to pick up some cans while on a trip to Grand Rapids. Vivant needs to put this beer in their regular line-up, and then send a steady supply of it to me in Ohio.

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

16oz can poured into a tulip. Thanks for the can Matt!

(A)- Pours quite pitch black in color. Produced a nice cap of effervescent brown froth that dissipated fairly quickly. Some good lacing left behind even.

(S)- A deep roasted raisin, coffee, and cocoa profile overall. An ever so slight hint of a light acidic tartness on the backend.

(T)- With the acidity comes a very nice chocolate covered tart cherry combo. Bits of raisin on the tail-end with a slight dry, almost oaky finish.

(M)- A good carbonation level. It feels a touch think and syrupy, but that does go really well with the dessert-like chocolate covered cherry this has. Definitely a sipper.

(O)- If this beer was a mistake, it sure was a successful one! A good tartness meets a very rich and chocolatey deep stout/dark ale. Very intriguing and I enjoyed every sip.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Thanks to my man Ryan for hookin' me up with this can!

I know there's an expectation for a Pink Floyd reference here, but y'all know I lean toward a Chinese Donny Osmond here... Anyway, this stuff pours a surprisingly deep black-brown topped by a finger of tan foam. The nose comprises rich molasses, cocoa, light roasted malts, and a sharp spine of vinegar-coated cherry. The taste brings in more of the same, with the gulf between the thick, sweet, and roasty molasses and the sour, vinegary fruit (approaching a strong red wine at times and ripe tomatoes at others) somehow widening despite them being closer. Perhaps it's like those ideas concerning quantum-style space travel, where a huge stretch of space is simply folded under, bringing the origin and destination physically closer together while still maintaining that distance in an absolute sense. Something like that... The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a somewhat sticky feel. Overall, the Manichean nature of this beer leaves me confused, conflicted: Sometimes the disparate flavors meld in a sort of complimentary manner, but at others they simply bicker and argue over who killed which tastebuds. I'm not sure what to think, really, but I am left with a some sort of positivity when the dust settles, so I'd say it's more than worth a shot.

to view more.