Tart Side Of The Moon - Brewery Vivant

American Wild Ale |  9.80% ABV

Beer added by: jmunsters on 03-06-2013

Reviews by tbdkev:
4.33/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark, motor oil brown with some light lacing. It pours like a stout, but is probably more appropriately compared to a black IPA. Dark fruit notes hit the nose. Taste is nice blend of dark fruit, primarily grape, with some notes of black licorice. I'm normally not a fan of black licorice, but this brew pulls it off pretty well, with a sweet, pleasant finish.. The hint of grape, along with the heat of alcohol (9.8%), lends some wine-like qualities as well.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1 Pint can
Served in a goblet per directions on the can

L - It is black. No light is getting through this beer. It is topped with a modest mocha head that quickly disappears. There are minute traces of lacing.

S - I notice a tart smell. It is fruity. Cherry comes to mind.

T - The taste is somewhat unique. Dark, tart fruit intermingle with roasted malt. The Belgian yeast comes through with some spice as well. Alcohol is noticeable at times.

F - Full

O - It starts out great with the cherry and roasted malt flavors. The finish is a bit lacking for me. The spiciness of the yeast comes in and changes the flavor, cleansing my palate of what I crave. It is almost like a saison finish to a dark, tart beer. It is an interesting experience, but at $17 a four pack, I will probably not purchase again, unless it is on tap somewhere (I have seen it at Slow's).

4.61/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Can poured into snifter

A - Pours a deep black with a slight reddish hue when held to the light. Minimal carbonation, which is surprising for a "sour stout". Looks like a basic RIS.

S - The smell is very interesting. Versus other sour stouts I've had, the stout is very apparent in the nose. Smells more like a fruited stout, with hints of roast, coffee, cherries and raspberries. Smells very good.

T - Excellent. Well integrated stout roast with what tastes more like raspberries and blackberries then sour funk. A little sweet, a little sour, and a little bitter. On the back, some coffee bitterness washes away what sour there was and leaves a sweet aftertaste.

M - Can't find the 9.8% anywhere in this. Extremely drinkable. Almost refreshing for a stout. Not too thick and not too thin for the taste. It's quite juicy.

O - I am completely wowed by this one. Similarities to Lindley Park (although a bit more tart) and Raspberry truffle abduction (each flavor is much more integrated in this). This is definitely not a "sour stout" in flavor. It's more like a mimicked fruited stout. I hope this doesn't stay a one-off.

4.17/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Kevin for sharing one of these. Saves me having to gamble on a four-pack myself... Never know how sour-dark beers are gonna turn out, but I was excited for this one. Pours a dark and deep black color with some shimmering ruby-red peeking through and outlining the glass, only when held directly to the light. The cap is fine-bubbled, tan, and creamy, showing decent retention.

Aroma starts off with a bit roasty malts first and foremost. A mellow combination of tart and sweet outlines the edges of the roast; grapes, cherries, raspberries, apple skins. Despite the undeniable tart fruit notes, the roast never looses its mojo, though it's a softer and mellow type of roast rather than being over-the-top heavy; no real char or smoke here. Some subtle coffee notes, not getting much chocolate - maybe just a very, very small hint of cocoa powder, but I think I'm just stretching for that one. Surprisingly not as complex as I thought it would be. More so just an overlay of some fruity tartness on a body of conservatively roasted malt.

I've got a generic, medium-roast stout in one hand and a generic, tart-but-not-puckering wild ale in my other hand. I can't decide which one to drink first, so I shove both bottlenecks into my mouth and down the gullet they both go, side-by-side, flavors of two completely different monsters just attacking my palate at once. Welcome to Tart Side of the Moon. It's like a half sour / half stout, that isn't really that sour and isn't really that stout-y. Mildly tart cherry and apple skins hit first as the tartness quickly fades into more of a sweetness than anything.

It mellows out with a substantial dryness as the malts catch back up; roasted malts, coffee beans, faint cocoa. The whole thing kind of dies down into a creamy, roasted coffee coating that covers your mouth with an abbreviated cherry sweetness to it. Like using Amaretto flavored cream in your coffee. I also pick up some mild oak flavors in the finish that weren't found anywhere else. Medium bodied, thinner than expected with ample carbonation and a slick, oily mouth feel.

I'm still not too sure how I feel about sour stouts. This one wasn't bad, but it didn't blow my socks off or anything like that. It was good, but I don't know if I'd ever buy a four-pack myself. It's hard to get roasted and sour flavors to play nicely together. This beer was a solid attempt, and has kept my hope alive for advancement in the style, but it's not gonna be the one that swoons me for life. Definitely worth a try, though.

EDIT: 4/1/2013

After having had this a few more times from the can and once more on tap at Vivant, I feel compelled to bump the score up. The beer is still very enigmatic to me, completely explainable at times. Sometimes it's more sour than stout. Sometimes it's more stout than sour. But maybe that's part of the appeal. Whatever it is, something keeps bringing me back, and that's gotta count for something, right? I wonder how these will age.

EDIT: 4/29/2013

Again, every time I have this, I like it more and more. This time on tap at the Twisted Rooster. The roast was a little more subtle, allowing the tart flavors to stand out a bit more. Still never became overwhelming with tartness, though - very well balanced. Is the variation on this beer strong, or is age beginning to work its magic? I guess only some more time will tell. But I have to bump up the score a bit more. I enjoyed this last pint very much. Smell was a bit more damp and musty but the flavor was great.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very stoutish black with a dark walnut head. Flattens out like Lake Erie on a calm summer day with minimal to no carbonation.

Prominent aromas of a cross tween sauerkraut and tart cherry. Malty. Floral and earthy. Staying with it, I also get a smokiness and dark cocoa.

Can't say I'm not apprehensive. First I get the sourness, then get more of a dark roasted coffee and malt, back to sour. I'm not getting any fruit, wish I were.

Mouthfeel is thin with some stickiness from the malt. Sour roast lingers.

I like this better as it warms up. In simple terms, for me, a smoky sour. I thinks its worth a try to expand your horizons and have fun with different styles. Should be called 'Sour Side of the Moon'.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%