Tart Side Of The Moon - Brewery Vivant

American Wild Ale |  9.80% ABV

Beer added by: jmunsters on 03-06-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.2/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a couple cans of Brewery Vivant's Tart Side Of The Moon a couple weeks ago for $4.09 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer on tap, I thought it was a good tart stout, I'm interested to see how the can version compares, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage First canned batch, fairly fresh. Poured from a a tall 16oz can into a Belgian Tulip.

A- I really like this can, it's a for sure upgrade from the stickerz they used in the past and the Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon theme is always a plus, I really like it and it's eye catching. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half worth of dark tan head that quickly died down to a very thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any lacing behind. This beer looks nice, but I wish there was a little more head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness to it that was followed by a nice tart cherry aroma with a lighter amount of funky Belgian yeast, the two aromas come together for a slightly funky tart cherry aroma with some black cherry in the background. Up next comes a nice medium vanilla aroma along with some lighter woody aromas along with a black licorice like aroma. Towards the end the dark roasted malts seems to show up with some roasted, chocolate, and light coffee aromas that seems to show up nicely in the background with the tart cherry aromas taking the lead. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I thought it was very complex and it wasn't overly funky, it sure is different, especially for a stout, but it's good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by sour and tart cherry that impart a medium tart to flavor which to me is right under the point where it can become almost mouth puckering and there's some nice black cherry flavors in the background along with some slight apple cider vinegar taste, Up next comes some vanilla and woody flavors along with a slight bit of barnyard funk and some dark bread and black licorice. On the finish is where the roasted malts seems to really show up imparting a roasted, chocolate and coffee like flavors that carries on to the aftertaste along with just a little more tartness and a lighter amount of bitterness. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the flavors were nice and true to it's name and I thought it was very complex with a lot of different flavors going on that somehow seem to go well together.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, a little dry, on the lighter side of being full bodied and it had a lower amount of medium carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a good beer, and it was a good example of what Brewery Vivant calls a Dark Farmhouse Ale, the flavors were pretty intense but not overwhelming and the flavors seem to work well with each other and it made for one complex beer. This beer had good drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not filling, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention and keeping me coming back for more, I think I would be happy with a pint can of this, but if I was really in the mood I think I could drink two and I think this would be a great Stout to enjoy in the summer. What I liked the most about this beer was the complexity of the aroma and the flavor it was really nice, and it kept me coming back for more. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad. but the head and lacing could have been a little more appealing. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for something tart, I bought an extra can to throw in the cellar but I know I need to go back and get some more for the warmer weather and some more to throw in the cellar to see how it develops over time, it's slightly pricey at just over $4 dollars a can, but I think it's worth every penny and I would recommend this to anyone who likes tart and slightly funky beers. All in all i was very happy with this beer and a little impressed it was just as good as it was on tap and I think it's just and overall enjoyable beer and it's very unique, it's the first Sour Stout I have actually liked. Till Brewery Vivant came around I wasn't fan of these types of beers, but since then I have developed a big interest for ales that are on the wilder side and I thankthem for helping to plant that seed. Brewery Vivant is really bringing the heat and I can't get enough of the new wilder beers they have been putting out, they are easily becomes my favorite up in coming brewery in Michigan, good job guys, you steady blow my mind with these tart and funky beer's that on paper I shouldn't like, but once I try them I really like them, Brewery Vivant is the only brewery that has had that affect on me. This beer was on accident, but it's a great example of an accident gone right, (4,944 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours from the 16oz can black with a thin head that removes itself quickly with little lacing. Smells of tart cherry, roasted coffee and unripe berries. Carbonation is moderate and the brew is a bit thick with a hint of alcohol.

Taste is tart cherry, roasted dark chocolate, coffee and green berries. Leaves the mouth a bit dry after, but the higher ABV is hidden well behind it all. A hint of brett gives a little funky farmhouse to the nose. The dryness almost feels like very fine cocoa dust left on your tongue which could be good or bad to a person. I down rated mouthfeel because of this personally.

Overall I was pretty hesitant paying $4.50 a pint for what was a mishap, but this was an awesome accident. This is going to stick as a favorite and I hope they choose to try for this again. (801 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last