Throwback Fat Alberta Imperial Stout - Throwback Brewery

good

Throwback Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Fat Alberta is a flavorful, chocolate peanut butter imperial stout that will make your taste buds sing! Even if you think you don’t like stouts or dark beers, we bet that Fat Alberta will win you over with her rich, chocolate roasty flavors and her intoxicating peanut butter aroma & finish. It’s a dessert in itself!

For the foodies out there, there are a lot of creative ways to use this beer. Make an ice cream float. Add Alberta to your brownies. Make your own ice cream flavored with Alberta! Let us know what you come up with!

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-10-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Throwback Fat Alberta Imperial Stout Alström Bros

Rochefort10nh, Dec 06, 2011

Poured into a tulip. This one pours a cola colored dark brown with a thin fizzy light tan head that fizzes away quicker than it can form. Basically, this looks like Pepsi.

So I'm really torn here. This smells like straight up peanut butter. Here's my issue, I like peanut butter. A lot. I eat it like ten times a week in some form but I'm not sure if I'm digging it in my beer. So, we'll hit the middle of the road here. Not bad but not great. Also, this has an artificial sweetener aroma that I just don't dig. I guess diet peanut butter cup is a good way to put it. I'm not even going to get into much detail here. This kind of taste like peanuts and cucumbers (somehow). I guess I can kind of taste some cocoa but this is just meh. Meh I say.

Lighter body here than I would like with ample carbonation. Overall just skip this one guys. This doesn't taste good. The best thing is the smell and it's simply because I like peanut butter. But honestly, if I want to sniff some peanut butter I just go to my kitchen and crack open the JIff.

Bendurgin, Dec 04, 2011
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Thanks, Bendurgin, for sharing! Poured into a tulip. During the pour this fizzes like cola; the head disappears immediately.

The first whiff is all peanut butter. There is some malt sweetness detected the more time my nose spends in here, but this is mostly peanut butter.

The taste is a muddled delivery of sweet malt and peanut. This is for the most part alright, but the aftertaste is where the real horror begins. There is a vegetal flavor throughout and there isn't much bitterness to offset the sweetness.

This is kind of light for a stout with sharp instead of smooth carbonation.

Not good.

andrewinski1, Dec 04, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Fills the glass with an absolute pitch black stout body and a foamy but short-lived tan head.

Initial aroma provided strong chocolate and roasty notes but as those dispersed the peanut butter notes really started to come through. From this point forward it's almost all peanut with just a little room left for the cocoa.

I was a bit skeptical at first when buying this beer but am pleasantly to surprised to see it delivers on all accounts. Fearing that the peanut butter would be too strong, it's nice to have a strong roasted note to remind you this is a stout at heart. Cocoa nibs add their touch but aren't quite as sweet as expected and naturally pair well with the peanutty goodness.

Mouthfeel is thick but smooth and well rounded. Overall, this beer makes for a nice treat for dessert but it's boldness makes it a one and done kinda beer.

Kinsman, Nov 30, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +32.5%

Was lucky enough to get the last bottle at Berts. Poured into a tulip.

A- Rich dark brown, almost black. Beautiful brown head that dissipates quickly. Lacing is minimal.

S- Smells a bit more esthery than I expected, but when you get behind that initial booze smell it opens up to roasted peanuts, sweet cocoa nib, and malty goodness. The smell makes me think of the texture of of the peanut butter in a Recces Cup for some reason.

T- The roasted peanuts dominate, but not in an overpowering way. The toasted notes on the peanuts carry all the way from the front to back of the taste. They are mellowed, and complimented with the bitter sweetness of the nibs. This leaves the aftertaste of peanut butter...without being overtly peanut buttery. Its awesome!

M- The mouth feel is my favorite part of this beer. Its full, and complex, and as you drink it you can taste all the complexities of the beer as it moves from the front of your mouth all the way through the after taste. The after taste makes me feel as if I should have peanut skin stuck in my teeth.

I love this beer. I had been anticipating its release for sometime, and was not disappointed in the least. When I asked Bert what he thought he replied "have you ever had a Funny Bone?" That sums this beer up to me for some reason. However, I'd take Alberta over a Funny Bone every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

drouss48, Nov 29, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

22oz bottle poured into a Smuttynose tulip.

A - Pours dark, dark brown when held to the light. Thin fizzy cap of dark tan foam blends to a collar around the edge of the glass. No real lacing to speak of.

S - Smells heavily of raosted peanuts, mild milk chocolate, a hit of licorice and just a touch of boozy alcohol. Was expecting a bit more complexity to show up here.

T - Peanuts are heavy on the first impression. Chocolate, licorice, mild booze as in the aroma follow. Also get some mild bitter hops.

M - Medium bodied...definitely not as thick as I'd expected to get out of this beer. Lightly sweet and chocolatey. Very nutty! Carbonation is on the light side and gives a creamy impression.

O - Overall - pretty good. Interesting nutty flavor - never had a beer with so much "peanuttyness"...Chocolate is there too, but doesn't really approach Reeses status. A bit thinner in body than I'd prefer and just a bit of booze.

portia99, Nov 27, 2011

hiphopipa, Nov 26, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

I cracked this bottle tonight with a couple of friends.
Pours a pretty solid dark brown/Black color with a decent tan head that shows moderate retention and minimal lace. Smells like lots of peanuts and peanut butter right after the cap is popped. Some chocolate, hints of caramel and roast round out the aroma. Taste is again peanut butter and chocolate right up front. Burnt coffee, caramel, with hints of alcohol and dark sugar round out the flavor profile. This one claims 70+ Ibu's but I can't find much of that under all these layers. Medium to thick body, light to moderate level of carbonation with a thick sweet almost acridic mouthfeel. This is an interesting beer and it certainly gets points for being different. It is also quite tasty. I would have liked it a bit thicker in body and a bit less harsh with the roasted bitterness. I would drink it again if given the opportunity.

johnnnniee, Nov 22, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +12%

Presentation: Bomber bottle, one of two bottles I got at the release, poured into my Bruery tulip after being chilled.

Appearance: Pitch black in color with a nice, creamy two finger head. Recedes into a nice lacing.

Aroma: Peanut dust and shell are definitely dominant in the nose. A touch of alcohol presence that really wanes as it warms. The peanut notes really assert far more than the chocolate.

Taste: Peanut butter and peanut shells are definitely there. A touch of bitter cocoa nibs and chocolate malt and caramel. I really am starting to enjoy this more as it warms. Really smooth.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and full bodied, pretty spot on.

Overall, an interesting take on an imperial stout. Not sure if it comes together completely as I hoped, but I like it certainly. I definitely am looking forward to more new Throwback beers.

Gosox8787, Nov 21, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a one-finger brown head that vanishes leaving no lace. Black color, no highlights. Light-medium carbonation and heavy bodied. Chocolate nose and flavor is chocolate and peanut, almost a Reese's peanut butter cup. Smooth, higher ABV is hidden, label has it at 10%. Expensive at $15.00 for a 22oz bottle from Throwback Brewery North Hampton, NH.

jdhilt, Nov 20, 2011