Throwback Spicy Bohemian - Throwback Brewery

New Hampshire, United States

Chile Beer |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Gosox8787 on 08-26-2011

We took our pilsener and “dry-hopped” it with roasted jalapenos. The result is a well-balanced beer with a very intoxicating peppery-type aroma, great jalapeno flavor, and just a bit of lingering heat.

3.71/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So this beer grows on me, at first it's a bit much. Over spiced with Jalapeños but on the second sip I really start to appreciate the "heat" and spice from the peppers. Very well infused into the beer. Possibly my very favorite Pilsener ever. Right down my alley - possibly because I love spicy food and live in New Mexico.

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The beer pours and oranging gold with a little head of medium sized, white bubbles. The head leaves little to no lacing. In body the beer is slightly hazy, though clean and free of particles, and is full of lazy bubbles working their way to the head. On the nose, the beer smells clean and peppery, like the flesh of a jalapeno fresh out of the garden. Light bready malts also appear lightly in the nose. On the tongue, the beer tastes spicy and softly sweet with light touches of acidity on the sides of the cheeks. In flavor the beer tastes of fresh jalapeno, spicy and fleshy with light vegetal skin notes that are beautiful on the tongue. Light, cracker malt can also be felt as a cream on the sides of the taste, balancing and cooling the spicy flavors. The finish brings the largest touch of bready malt, but the jalapeno flavors return in the aftertaste and give a nice lingering spice to the mouth alongside a slight plastic flavor. In the mouth, the beer feels on the light side of medium in body with a light jelling on the tongue. Carbonation is softer, but bites at the beginning of the sip. After the beer leaves the mouth is left wet with spice and acid canceling saliva. Overall this beer is refreshingly unique, with some awesome pepper flavors that would do amazingly with food. The spicy flavor actually dies off as you drink more of it, which is too bad, but overall this is one of, if not my favorite pepper beer with some great, fleshy, pepper flavors. A beer to try for sure.

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner style glass.

A real brassy yellow, but quite a bit cloudy too, with lots of very good rising pinhead bubbles, reaching towards a big soapy white rocky head. Head manages good solid retention.

Ask and ye shall receive my friends. It's ripping jalapenos! Wonderful pepper notes, toasty seeds, i can smell the garden green flesh just coming off this. The beer doesn't showcase much else, but I am really not complaining, I am just drooling and salivating smelling this. I hope this delivers on taste.

Well, palate is a bit one dimensional. However, it's a good dimension to be in. The beer is full of jalapeno pepper, with a mild acidity that finishes nicely without any burn. Playful classic lager carbonation but not much sense of malt presence here. Lingering peppers finish. Not really much else to say, it buries any sense of hop or malt taste.

Overall though, you can't deny how fun this beer is, and it sells itself as Spicy and with Jalapeno and it delivers in spades. Good times!

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%

Enjoyed on tap at the Thirsty Moose. A good drinkable pilsner for me, with turned up heat. A base of malt and wheat mostly, I got very little hops. A nice one and well needed to break through a taste lull.Little colour or head. Average plus mouthfeel.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

This was a extremely interesting beer. I had never tried anything like it before! When I first heard about a jalapeno beer, I didn't expect it to be too tasty, but this was truly mind blowing!

I love spicy food, and I guess I love spicy beer as well. There were a significantly present jalapeno taste but at the same time was balanced with the refreshing cold taste of the beer.

Quite a creative and tasty beer. I highly recommend it if you can get your hands on it!

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

On tap at the NH Brewers fest. 4 oz served in a small glass poured a deep golden yellow color with a thinnish off white head.The aroma is obviously jalapeno as soon as I set my nose over the glass. There's some sweet bready pilsner malt backing up the pepper, but it has a hard time finding a voice. The flavor is quite mild from what I expected from the aroma. The pepper is there up front but it is all flavor with very little heat. Mild bready and caramel malt sweetness provide a nice backdrop before the pepper flavor throws a mild lingering heat. Medium body with a light to moderate level of carbonation and a sweet slick mouthfeel. This is a great beer, I went back for seconds, its a really nice pilsner and the jalapenos add an odd, but very flavorful component to the beer.

Presentation; 2L swingtop growler, fresh from the brewery and split with a friend. Poured into a Sam Adams pint glass and servfed chilled.

Appearance: Cloudy pale yellow in color. Pours a bit of a fizzy white head.

Aroma: The jalapenos are really strong here. Really peppery and with a bit of spice. The peppers here feel fresh, and not roasted. It comes across as a very dry heat.

Taste: Jalapeno peppers upfront. Not really spicy as all considering the burst of pepper flavor here. I really enjoy that this does not shy away from strong pepper falvors here. There is some slight hop bitterness and pale malt sweetness in there as well.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and crisp. Works really well to keep this from getting too dry.

Overall, a really unique and bold jalapeno beer. I really enjoyed this take. Despite all the pepper flavors throughout, this manages to stay away from being overly spicy. I definitely enjoyed this.

Throwback Spicy Bohemian from Throwback Brewery
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.