Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)

good

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: granger10 on 01-15-2004

Formerly called "Ringneck Winter Warmer".
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 127 | Reviews: 38

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Amber in color with a thin layer of foam that nearly fades completely. Aroma is honey, cinnamon, and alcohol soaked oranges. Fruity (mostly citrus), which is definitely different than other winter warmers. Taste has less citrus and more spice. Cinnamon and ginger come through big in the flavor. Malty with a boozy finish. I would say the "boatload of honey" may be responsible for that. It has a moderate body, which makes it a fairly easy drink. Not my favorite winter warmer, but definitely worth trying if you're into spiced beers.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Live Review. Poured from the 12 oz. single that was given to me by the fine folks at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio simply for being a good customer (believe me, the pleasure is mine!) into a clean, clear pint glass. Price tag still stuck on the cap indicates $1.85. No observed “best by” date. I was told by the staff at Save-On that this is a recent release.

From the label: “Tis the Seasonal! A spiced Holiday ale brewed with cinnamon, ginger, orange & lemon peel and a sleigh load of honey.”

A Very light brown creamy head over a translucent brown/mahogany body. 3.5

S Malt goodness abounds. I certainly smell the honey but it is not overwhelming, more of a subtle sweetness. I rather like the smell which reminds me of many malt bombs that I have had in the past. Repeated sniffs reveal the cinnamon and ginger notes mentioned in the description but I do not as of yet pick up the citrus peels. 4.0

T Ah yes, a nice, sweet tribute to Christmas (despite the mention of a “Holiday ale” on the side of the label the front bottom of the label features the following: “Spiced Christmas Ale” quite prominently). The cinnamon and the ginger play supporting roles to the smooth subtle sweetness of the honey and it all works nicely. 4.0

M Big, syrupy smooth beer that lingers on my tongue for a while like you might expect honey or even syrup to do. Appropriate to the style and mentioned on the label. I appreciate the information provided before sampling any beer. 4.0

D/O Not particularly drinkable to me. Overall this is a solidly prepared Christmas Ale. 4.0

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this on-tap at the Brew Kettle in Strongsville, and I was genuinely impressed. I'm not the biggest fan of this style, but I thought this example was true-to-style yet very approachable and drinkable.

The beer poured a dark amber which was clear and sparkling and had a loose but plentiful head atop it. Aroma was of holiday spice...nutmeg, all-spice, and maybe a touch of cinammon. Flavor was also spicy, but also offered a hefty dose of maltiness that was neither overly sweet nor cereal-y. Mouthfeel was a bit thick and appropriate. I thought this beer to be quite good.

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz bottle, 8% abv. Clear reddish-amber color, with ruby edges. Off-white head fades pretty quickly, without leaving any spots of lace.

Robust malty aroma. Cinnamon, honey and ginger shine through in the nose.

Nice, hearty malt character with just a bit of sweetness. Cinnamon and ginger are noticed, and some orange zest spices things up a bit.

Medium body, with a a good amount of carbonation. All the flavors go well together. Slight warmth from alcohol. Nice beer.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Copper tan/brown, 1/2 inch creamy head and thick lacing.

Smell - Dark fruits like rasin, plum, dates, malts, spices, caramel, some cinnamon, a little honey and mild hops.

Taste - Starts of with dark fruits and a solid malt backbone. Lots of spices espically lemon peel and cinnamon. I also get some all spice and nutmeg. Alcohol is masked well, its balanced nicely, not to sweet or bitter.

MOuthfeel - Medium thickness, smooth and enjoyable. Tounge gets the fruits, some malts and alot of spices. Tougne gets remaining hops, malts and added sugars. Aftertaste is smooth, sweet and spicey.

Overall - This reminds me alot of samuel smiths winter warmer with the feel and flavor. This is not my favorite style of beer but this is drinkable. Every bit as good as sammy smith and great lakes xmas ale. Smooth, tastly, and priced right, worth a drink.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

We didn't have much of a winter, but here we have a good local warmer. It has much of what I seek in this style. Spice, but not too much. A malty taste, but well balanced with a little hoppy taste.

The aroma is a faint, yeasty/malty smell. Over all it is a satisfying warmer that I would buy again. I can wait for the season, though.

I had this on tap at Melt last night (11/27/2013) and it was better than I remembered. A little sweet but nicely balanced and as I said before, not too much spice. Very drinkable, and did not seem as strong as it is.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works