1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)

good

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  8.00% ABV

Formerly called "Ringneck Winter Warmer".

(Beer added by: granger10 on 01-15-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 87 | Reviews: 32 | Show All Ratings:
DavoleBomb

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Lightly hazed dark orange amber color. One finger of creamy beige head. Retention is average and just a touch of lacing is left.

3.5 S: Cinnamon is strongest of the spices, followed by nutmeg and ginger with orange and lemon peel behind. Like caramel, moderate toastiness, and a pleasant neutral malt sweetness. Smell is good, but the spice could be a bit stronger.

3.5 T: Much like the nose, but the lemon peel is much easier to find giving a vibe of meringue pie. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange peel are all moderately intense. Malts are toasty, somewhat sweet, and with a mild caramel character.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. This could use a touch more carbonation. Otherwise, average here and not particularly creamy.

3.5 D: I liked this beer. Solid enough example of a wintry treat.

12-14-2011 00:21:42 | More by DavoleBomb
nrbw23

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

A- Pours a crystal clear ruby color with a very thin white head. Head is also gone in a flash and leaves very little lacing if any at all.

S- Pretty typical for the style just a little tame. Quite a bit of spice, hint of darker fruits and caramel malts.

T- Follows the nose really well. Spices all over, malty, and sweet.

M- Medium in body and carbonation.

O- Pretty impressive and what I expected.

12-05-2011 20:43:29 | More by nrbw23
adamette

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Live Review. Poured from the 12 oz. single that was given to me by the fine folks at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio simply for being a good customer (believe me, the pleasure is mine!) into a clean, clear pint glass. Price tag still stuck on the cap indicates $1.85. No observed “best by” date. I was told by the staff at Save-On that this is a recent release.

From the label: “Tis the Seasonal! A spiced Holiday ale brewed with cinnamon, ginger, orange & lemon peel and a sleigh load of honey.”

A Very light brown creamy head over a translucent brown/mahogany body. 3.5

S Malt goodness abounds. I certainly smell the honey but it is not overwhelming, more of a subtle sweetness. I rather like the smell which reminds me of many malt bombs that I have had in the past. Repeated sniffs reveal the cinnamon and ginger notes mentioned in the description but I do not as of yet pick up the citrus peels. 4.0

T Ah yes, a nice, sweet tribute to Christmas (despite the mention of a “Holiday ale” on the side of the label the front bottom of the label features the following: “Spiced Christmas Ale” quite prominently). The cinnamon and the ginger play supporting roles to the smooth subtle sweetness of the honey and it all works nicely. 4.0

M Big, syrupy smooth beer that lingers on my tongue for a while like you might expect honey or even syrup to do. Appropriate to the style and mentioned on the label. I appreciate the information provided before sampling any beer. 4.0

D/O Not particularly drinkable to me. Overall this is a solidly prepared Christmas Ale. 4.0

12-05-2011 04:35:55 | More by adamette
BB1313

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a hazy copper with red hues, head is slightly off white and doesn't really stick around, still nice looking. The aromas are nice, but somewhat faint. I pick up cinnamon and lemon zest. More cinnamon in the flavors, along with ginger and some nutmeg. Also some cocoa powder lingering. There's a nice fruity aspect to it, but the flavors still remain spicy/bitter in a subtle way. There's a nice sweetness from the honey. Mouthfeel is syrupy, but on the thinner side; nicely carbonated. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Easy to drink, but not something I can drink a ton of in one sitting. It's somewhat one note, I'd recommend letting this one warm up, the aromas and flavors will really start to develop. Good stuff.

This beer will most likely be compared to Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs, which is fair. This beer is the same concept. It's good, and I love TBK, but this doesn't quite live up to those, IMHO. Either way, there's nothing offensive going on here at all and this still makes a great beer to enjoy during the holidays. If you like holiday beers brewed with cinnamon, you should try this. Not bad at all.

11-22-2011 01:44:09 | More by BB1313
ColdPoncho

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A very pretty deep amber body with a nice tan head on top.

S - Sweet caramel and tangy dark fruits, touch of vanilla, some light seasonal spices. Borderline artificial, but quite good

T - Smooth and malty. Where is all that complexity from the nose? Very limited fruit and spice profile, mostly just medium roasted malts. It's good, but not as good as the nose. Hint of diacetyl

M - relatively smooth, medium body with a hint of coating

O - I got this beer because I love White Rajah, and wanted to check out more offerings from this brewery. I like it, but am a bit disappointed by this. It's hard to live up to such a great beer, so I shouldn't be too upset. It's a fine beer, but a bit lacking.

11-17-2011 00:14:26 | More by ColdPoncho
Radome

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber bottle into a snifter.

A - Beer is a medium amber with red tints and perfectly clear. The head is exceptionally smooth and fluffy and piles inches high when first poured. It fades to a thin layer and lots of lacing.

S - Aroma is of dry grains and holiday spices. Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger? I can't identify all of them, but it smells like pumpkin pie and reminds me of spiced Christmas ales I've had.

T - There is moderate hop bitterness in the backgroun along with some grainy malt, but the spices dominate. I can't taste any yeast or alcohol notes.

M - Moderate body some creaminess from the carbonation. There is just a tiny bit of astringency at the end of the sip that I believe is coming from the spices.

D - This is a nice Christmas beer, but I feel the spices are just a bit heavy-handed. I don't taste any complexity from the malt or other elements because the spices are so up-front.

01-23-2011 06:00:05 | More by Radome
ffejherb

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at the Brew Kettle, Strongsville, OH on 12/1/08.

A - Crystal clear medium copper body with light ruby hues and a slim off-white head that receded and left nice lacing.

S - Subtle spicy and fruity notes featuring cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and clove. Malt is primarily caramel, toffee and cookie-esque.

T - Spicy and malty, almost like a ginger snap cookie, with some caramel and honey sweetness. Subtle hints of cinnamon also emerge. Slight earthy bitterness in the backend, but very faint.

M - Medium body with a syrupy texture and mild carbonation. Spicy on the palate with very little hop bitterness in the finish.

D - Textbook example of the winter warmer style with requisite spices and cookie sweetness.

12-04-2008 02:07:38 | More by ffejherb
UA8

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

Normally I write a big detailed review.
Its just not needed here. This is a near dead ringer Great Lakes Xmas Ale Clone.

The two differences are the winter warmer is a touch understated in the boldness of its spices and sweetness which I think actually improves the drink ability of the beer. I could drink 4+ of these where I'm done at 2 of the Great Lakes.

This is an exceptional clone. I think so highly of it that I actually may brew this one. If/when I do I'll post an update to the my review.

12-02-2008 01:51:12 | More by UA8
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark amber body with a thin ring of white, lazy bubbles.

Smell: Honey and simple syrup coating a layer of spices and ginger.

Taste: Honey and spiced sweet syrup with a punchy ginger spiciness that lingers and lingers and then I drink some water.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A decent Winter Warmer. But this is the LAST one I'm having for the season, ya hear me?!

03-18-2008 22:16:27 | More by ChainGangGuy
BeerBelcher

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

I had this on-tap at the Brew Kettle in Strongsville, and I was genuinely impressed. I'm not the biggest fan of this style, but I thought this example was true-to-style yet very approachable and drinkable.

The beer poured a dark amber which was clear and sparkling and had a loose but plentiful head atop it. Aroma was of holiday spice...nutmeg, all-spice, and maybe a touch of cinammon. Flavor was also spicy, but also offered a hefty dose of maltiness that was neither overly sweet nor cereal-y. Mouthfeel was a bit thick and appropriate. I thought this beer to be quite good.

11-24-2007 17:08:47 | More by BeerBelcher
aracauna

Georgia

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Bought this bottle at the brewery. Pours a clear, dark ruby brown with a good-size too dark for off-white, too light for khaki head. The aroma is heavily spiced with cinnamon, maybe nutmeg and some clove. Luckily, this is backed up by enough malt to not quite be overpowering. The spice is equally strong in the flavor, but again the malt (brown sugar and spice cake, honey) helps keep the spices in check, almost. Could benefit from some aging to mellow the spices, but still great for style.

01-02-2005 23:09:21 | More by aracauna
granger10

Wisconsin

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

This was the second beer I had from Ringneck. It poured copperish in color with a light, rather weak head. The smell was similar to cinnamon bread but a little weak. The flavor, however, was quite strong in cinnamon as the spice overwhelmed my palate. There was also a citric quality to it which provided some tartness. A faint honey sweetness came into play towards the end. Low on hops and a bit too strong in alcohol flavor. This was also a bit thin. This was a decent brew which I would probably try again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it.

01-15-2004 20:47:23 | More by granger10
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works