Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck)

good

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: granger10 on 01-15-2004

Formerly called "Ringneck Winter Warmer".
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 129 | Reviews: 38
3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

A- Pours a crystal clear ruby color with a very thin white head. Head is also gone in a flash and leaves very little lacing if any at all.

S- Pretty typical for the style just a little tame. Quite a bit of spice, hint of darker fruits and caramel malts.

T- Follows the nose really well. Spices all over, malty, and sweet.

M- Medium in body and carbonation.

O- Pretty impressive and what I expected.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Copper tan/brown, 1/2 inch creamy head and thick lacing.

Smell - Dark fruits like rasin, plum, dates, malts, spices, caramel, some cinnamon, a little honey and mild hops.

Taste - Starts of with dark fruits and a solid malt backbone. Lots of spices espically lemon peel and cinnamon. I also get some all spice and nutmeg. Alcohol is masked well, its balanced nicely, not to sweet or bitter.

MOuthfeel - Medium thickness, smooth and enjoyable. Tounge gets the fruits, some malts and alot of spices. Tougne gets remaining hops, malts and added sugars. Aftertaste is smooth, sweet and spicey.

Overall - This reminds me alot of samuel smiths winter warmer with the feel and flavor. This is not my favorite style of beer but this is drinkable. Every bit as good as sammy smith and great lakes xmas ale. Smooth, tastly, and priced right, worth a drink.

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz bottle, 8% abv. Clear reddish-amber color, with ruby edges. Off-white head fades pretty quickly, without leaving any spots of lace.

Robust malty aroma. Cinnamon, honey and ginger shine through in the nose.

Nice, hearty malt character with just a bit of sweetness. Cinnamon and ginger are noticed, and some orange zest spices things up a bit.

Medium body, with a a good amount of carbonation. All the flavors go well together. Slight warmth from alcohol. Nice beer.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this on-tap at the Brew Kettle in Strongsville, and I was genuinely impressed. I'm not the biggest fan of this style, but I thought this example was true-to-style yet very approachable and drinkable.

The beer poured a dark amber which was clear and sparkling and had a loose but plentiful head atop it. Aroma was of holiday spice...nutmeg, all-spice, and maybe a touch of cinammon. Flavor was also spicy, but also offered a hefty dose of maltiness that was neither overly sweet nor cereal-y. Mouthfeel was a bit thick and appropriate. I thought this beer to be quite good.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Amber in color with a thin layer of foam that nearly fades completely. Aroma is honey, cinnamon, and alcohol soaked oranges. Fruity (mostly citrus), which is definitely different than other winter warmers. Taste has less citrus and more spice. Cinnamon and ginger come through big in the flavor. Malty with a boozy finish. I would say the "boatload of honey" may be responsible for that. It has a moderate body, which makes it a fairly easy drink. Not my favorite winter warmer, but definitely worth trying if you're into spiced beers.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Live Review. Poured from the 12 oz. single that was given to me by the fine folks at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio simply for being a good customer (believe me, the pleasure is mine!) into a clean, clear pint glass. Price tag still stuck on the cap indicates $1.85. No observed “best by” date. I was told by the staff at Save-On that this is a recent release.

From the label: “Tis the Seasonal! A spiced Holiday ale brewed with cinnamon, ginger, orange & lemon peel and a sleigh load of honey.”

A Very light brown creamy head over a translucent brown/mahogany body. 3.5

S Malt goodness abounds. I certainly smell the honey but it is not overwhelming, more of a subtle sweetness. I rather like the smell which reminds me of many malt bombs that I have had in the past. Repeated sniffs reveal the cinnamon and ginger notes mentioned in the description but I do not as of yet pick up the citrus peels. 4.0

T Ah yes, a nice, sweet tribute to Christmas (despite the mention of a “Holiday ale” on the side of the label the front bottom of the label features the following: “Spiced Christmas Ale” quite prominently). The cinnamon and the ginger play supporting roles to the smooth subtle sweetness of the honey and it all works nicely. 4.0

M Big, syrupy smooth beer that lingers on my tongue for a while like you might expect honey or even syrup to do. Appropriate to the style and mentioned on the label. I appreciate the information provided before sampling any beer. 4.0

D/O Not particularly drinkable to me. Overall this is a solidly prepared Christmas Ale. 4.0

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

The Brew Kettle : Winter Warmer

LOOK: Clear amber colored brew that pours with a short livid head.

SMELL: Spicecake aroma of sweet malt, spicy cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Cinnamon roll like smell.

TASTE: Mellow fruit notes, cinnamon spice, pepper and brown sugar. Hint of dark fruits and dusty cocoa. Soft bitterness to cover the sweet caramel like maltyness. A bit of ginger and juicy citrus. Cinnamon, sugar and toasted malt are the big notes, and everything works well together. For its boasting strength (8% abv) the alcohol is well disguised in the taste.

FEEL: Full bodied, smooth and medium level of carbonation. Clean finish with a touch of cinnamon and cocoa riding out the flavors.

OVERALL: A rather impressive winter offering from the Brew Kettle. Mellow, yet complex and all the flavors are well integrated. Easy drinking, and a perfect way to stay warm during the cold winter months.

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

Served from the bottle into a snifter. The fifth beer of my 2014 twelve beers of Christmas.

A- Poured a very dark raspberry color with a very small off-white soapy head that left no lace.

S- Big cinnamon, ginger, and clove notes with sweet fruity notes of juicy apple and cherry.

T- Huge juicy red apple notes, tart pie cherries, raspberry, tons of fresh cinnamon and clove, some light chocolate notes.

M- Medium body, some warming, and soft carbonation.

O- Wow, I was really impressed with this Christmas ale. It was bursting with surprising juicy fruit flavors that melded very well with the holiday spices.

4.28/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) brewed by ,The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works. This brew has an ABV of 8.0% Now for the pour, this brew pours out a nice brown color with a small white head. The smell is rich with sweetness, grains and malts. This is a vary inviting brew. Winter Warmer has a nice rich taste, you pick up on spices and malts in this brew. This brew has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering in this brew. The mouthfeel is nice, smooth and clean. You can not pick up on the 8.0% of this brew. The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works did a nice job with this one. I would get this brew again.

4.29/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's got a 1 finger thick eggshell brown head with spottier lacing, and a medium-dark brown and amber body.

Smells like spiced molasses, indeed. Not much of a hop presence, nor alcohol astringency. I like this , as it 8% abv.

I taste caramelized malts, along with said holiday spices of the usual cinnamon, nutmeg,clove, etc. Again, quite smooth considering the alcohol content of this beer. This also doen't have much hop presence, which I totally fine with. I feel like it would clash elements of smooth roastyness and sharp bitterness. Very nicely done!

This beer's mouthfeel I'm picking up is very clean. Yet again, I'm mainly referring to the 8% abv. I don't know about you, fellow BA's, but I've had winter warmers that could easily have passed as a Scotch ale.

Overall, a 4.25 for Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works. A very smooth-drinking beer, but don't let it get to you, or you'll get hit with a ton of metaphoric bricks when it creeps up on you. I was very impressed and will buy this again.

4.29/5  rDev +15.3%

12 oz bottle. No freshness info from TBK, which is sad, but if you follow them on facebook, you will get solid updates on when things get released, which is awesome. Poured into snifter - the result looks just like the label photo.

Pours very clear, with no head. This is OK though, and as I'm not going to break down the spice regimen, I can say overall there is a highly suggested "Dr. Pepper" taste. As that particular beverage makes no state of their 23 ingredients, I feel I must treat this brew the same. Very refreshing, thick, wintry mouthfeel, and easy to drink.

I conclude with this: There is another, better-known, more-abundant, more-hyped Christmas beer that comes out in the greater Cleveland area each year. I do not get that beer anymore, but I will *always* purchase TBK Winter Warmer and spread the gospel to those who wish to taste for themselves. This is my favorite.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

Normally I write a big detailed review.
Its just not needed here. This is a near dead ringer Great Lakes Xmas Ale Clone.

The two differences are the winter warmer is a touch understated in the boldness of its spices and sweetness which I think actually improves the drink ability of the beer. I could drink 4+ of these where I'm done at 2 of the Great Lakes.

This is an exceptional clone. I think so highly of it that I actually may brew this one. If/when I do I'll post an update to the my review.

4.53/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It has a nice rich taste with spices. I tasted cinnamon and some of the orange peel. Really enjoyed this beer.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Winter Warmer (formerly Ringneck) from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works