Old 21 Imperial IPA - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

Ohio, United States

Beer added by: aracauna on 06-06-2004

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a slightly hazy amber with about two inches of thick eggshell colored head. As the head dissapates the head leaves thick lacing around the side of the glass. The aroma is hoppy, but not as hop forward as I would have expected for a IIPA. The hops are definitely present in the taste with a very floral presence. The aftertaste is sticking with me for a long time which I'm not totally sure whether I like or not. After a few gulps there is a slightly gritty feeling on my teeth. After a little while, the flavor is starting to grow on me. I like it ok, but its not my favorite IIPA. (588 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color. The head is around two fingers high, with a bubbly texture and a vaguely off-white shade. Retention isn't fantastic, but because the head is so creamy, it leaves behind a decent amount of webbed lacing on the glass. (4)

Smell: This shows off Simcoe pretty well. The hops are producing notes of tangerine, pine, melon, and dankness. It has a bit of that juiciness I enjoy - though it should be said that the hoppiness seems to fade as it warms up. It's replaced with some caramel malt sweetness. On the other hand, the alcohol is concealed nicely. (3.5)

Taste: Malts hit the palate first with notes of caramel, toffee, and even a touch of table sugar. It stays rather sweet up to the finish, albeit with a nice upsurge of dank, piny Simcoe goodness. Let it warm up, a slight spicy prickle will also appear on the back end - this helps to temper the sweetness slightly. All in all, this is a bit too sweet for me. (3)

Mouthfeel: Big and heavy, it does have a crisp finishing bite...but also a lot of sweetness throughout. This is up there with DFH's 90 Minute as far as 'chewy' DIPAs go. Natch, carbonation is somewhat concealed by the heft. Also concealed by the heft is the alcohol presence. (3.5)

Overall: This one is definitely on the malty side for a DIPA. While that makes it too sweet for my personal tastes, I can see this one catching on with those who don't like IPAs. I think my problem here is that I expected a bigger White Rajah, and instead got something balanced and approachable. Damn me and my scorched earth tastebuds! (3.5)

3.3/5: Don't expect Double Rajah here...DO expect a beginner-friendly DIPA, though (1,702 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not a huge fan of this one. This beer makes no attempt to hide its high alcohol content and within the first sip it screams Imperial. The mouthfeel is a little too thick for my liking and the overpowering sweetness of this beer just kills its for me. White Rajah is one of my favorite beers and in my opinion a top IPA. But this one, not so much. Pass. (352 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

Bottle thanks to jampics2. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderate golden coper color with a white head. Some carbonation is visible. A bit of lacing. The nose brings citrus, tropical, and grassy hop notes as well as a bit of light grain. The taste isn't nearly as hoppy as the nose would suggest, and is quite boozy underneath the hops and accompanying bitterness. Mouthfeel is boozy, for sure. Drinkability is okay. Nice nose with a good flavor profile, but overall just way too boozy. (486 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

Bomber from Ryan011235, poured into a Duvel tulip.

Hazy light amber with gentle bubbles of carbonation continuously feeding what’s initially a finger or so of off-white head. Decent retention and lacing. A little heavy-handed with the caramel for my taste, but they’ve got the hop end of the equation figured out pretty well. Citrus seems to start out slowly but build in intensity and juiciness. Midswallow, things turn more aggressive, with a fair amount of pine bitterness and a vague sort of dankness. Moderately boozy. On the thickish side of medium-bodied, but there’s ample carbonation and a nice stickiness in the finish. Worth a try. (650 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Clear and attractive gold with two fingers of soapy off white head.

S - Slight citrus flavor, some burning hop, some steely hop, and some alcohol

T - Hops have faded in this bottle, leaving a very harsh and biting steely hop that punishes the tongue. This is far better fresh from the tap.

M/D - Mouthfeel is harsh and biting. This is a good beer fresh from the tap, but I won't be buying any more bottles. (414 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

This beer , I guess I'm not a big fan of IPAs. It was a very hoppy beer and explained that way. "Big Bold and Hoppy". A dark amber color and a good aroma. The flavor was very very strong, alcohol was way present but buried in the flavor of the beer. There was a distinct raisin flavor while going down and left a black licorace flavor.

Mouthfeel and taste just seemed average, but it's average for microbrews. I had a sample of Dogfish Head 90 Min. IPA, and that was much more rounded and better finished than this beer. I had to finish this one slowly, so it's not very drinkable, maybe as the last beer of the night and slow so you can really appreciate the taste. (670 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

Thanks to jampics2 for the extra!

A - Pours a bright clean gold with a thick white top. Tight bubbles. Some cling to the glass

S - Nose is unimpressive. Mostly malt...not sure the bottle date on this. Perhaps a hint of pine, but not much

T - Much of the same as the nose. Nice malt backbone, finishes dry. a touch of mint ans some grass. A bit of a alcohol bite at the end.

M - Dry. Nice high carbonation.

O - Not sure on the freshness here but still a nice beer with muted hops.

As an Imperial IPA not very good. As an aged American Barleywine, pretty solid. Nice malt backbone and finishes dry. (603 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a clean golden copper with a nice cap of head on it. Looks really good. Smells is an extremely generic combination of hops and malts. Nothing really distinguishing comes from the simcoe - maybe just a shade of pine or something, but not really. There is nothing about the nose that makes you want to pick it up and give it a big drink, though it doesn't smell bad. The front of this beer is like a big Maibock - sweet and malty. As it carries through, it dries out a bit with a somewhat bitter finish. The hoppiness in the end is again a pretty generic bitterness mostly devoid of actual hop flavor. The front and the back don't come together to balance each other out - it is just over malt/sweet in the front and flavorless, drying bitterness in the back. I am not a big fan of this one at all. The mouthfeel is pretty sugary, with good carbonation. Overall, this just doesn't seem like a good go at the style. (918 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -24.3%

Fairly bright medium amber color with a small head and light lacing.

A bit of fruit - maybe sour cherries and some spicy bread (rye bread) on the nose. Taste is of stewed fruit with perhaps a bit of pine in the middle. Bitterness gives way to a long sweet finish.

Heavy body with a cloying sweetness. Difficult to drink except in small sips, in a small quantity. Might be nice as a dessert if splitting a 12 oz bottle between a few people. But a bomber is a lot of this beer. (477 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -25.1%

Deep mahogany with a small head again a culprit of the bad pour. And again very crisp and clean look. No lace. What head is there is very whispy.

Whiff of caramel malt and a slight hop aroma. Otherwise hard to even generate a smell.

What I would consider a weak effort at an IPA. They should have took this on the longhaul and tried to make it a barley wine. But even if it were that would be very weak. Bit malty caramel and slight pine hop. No length or depth.

Malty and thin and not that drinkable. (511 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -26.3%

No freshness dating. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a fluted pint glass with the designation that this glass was from, or should be filled only with Harpoon IPA. Pours very clear with a mostly white head of about one finger in size. A good dose of lacing clings to the glass.

Aroma is fairly weak for a Double IPA. Super earthy. This seems like an English IPA if you ask me. I know the bottle says "Simcoe through and through", but unless this is an older bottle, I get nothing but wet soil, slightly sweaty socks, and a touch of biscuit. Caramel malts play a pivotal role as the beer warms, giving me a not-so-warm feeling about this one.

Flavor is similarly English. Fairly sweet up front with minimal hop kick in the back. Sticky and nearly cloying with loads of caramel malts. Slightly fruity.

Although Brew Kettle says they hop this with Simcoe, I have the strictest confidence that this bottle is either out of date or the beer suffers from underhopping and "English masking". I didnt particularly like this one either; rather sweet. If one wants real Simcoe flavor, try Double Simcoe from Weyerbacher. The bottle asserts this beer has 90IBU. I object, your honor! If only the brewery would date their goddamn beers. A real shame. (1,240 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 fl oz bottle with typical label art and yellow branded pressure/pry-off cap received today from michaellcoates as part of a trade; thanks again, man! Served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I've never had anything from this brewery before, but my trade partner implied it was good stuff by including it in his box. Self-identifies as an Imperial IPA, so that's what I'm reviewing it as. 9.0% ABV according to the label. 90 IBUs. Brewed with Simcoe hops. No obvious bottled on/best before date or julian code.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 3 finger wide head of beige colour. Slight cream. Nice thickness. Good (5-6 minute) retention for the high ABV. No bubble show.

Body colour is a somewhat vibrant clear copper. No yeast particles are visible.

Standard fare for the style, but overall appealing. No overt or obvious flaws. Looking forward to trying it. The head retention is a highlight.

Sm: Floral hops. Tropical fruit hops - I hate that in an IPA (mango, dirty pineapple, melon). Substantial caramalt. Maybe biscuit malt. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Limited hop bitterness. A moderately strong aroma. Not great for the style, but within conventions. I'm not real excited to try it now; the aroma isn't suited to my particular preferences.

T: Floral hops. Substantial malt in the body; caramalt, pale malts. The hop profile is quite simple overall; I don't get oily hops, citrusy notes, juicy notes, nectary character, etc. Just floral hops. Simple and timid. Balance is decent; the malts suit the hops, but both are underwhelming. No complexity or subtlety here. Likable and pleasant to drink, but of clearly limited quality.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Adequate carbonation. Okay thickness; maybe a bit overbearing for the lack of flavour. Decent presence on the palate. Suits the flavour profile in a general sense. Okay execution, but not unique or special.

Dr: A passable Imperial IPA that I wouldn't recommend to friends. I'll finish the glass with ease, but I wouldn't want another one. Drinkable but underwhelming. Not worth trading for by any means. Decent, but nothing to write home about. Hides its ABV decently.

(2,361 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -56.5%

I've visited Brew Kettle numerous time (my mother-in-law lives nearby) and always enjoyed their beers and my visits. And I bought this one in Columbus at Blacklick Liquors, with high expectations. It was a new item to Blacklick (I visit there regularly), and given this and the proximity of Columbus to Strongsville, I assumed this was a guarantee of freshness (although with no date code I have no way of knowing). And I believe I was mistaken - my experience with this beer stands in stark contrast to the other reviews on this site. This beer was not what I was expecting, and i would describe it as rancid. A dark gold/amber color with nice head and a clear body (so far so good). However, aroma was cereal-y, grainy, diacetyl, and a touch spicy, but not at all hoppy. Flavor was far worse. I got no hop presence off this beer in the taste at all. It tasted awful, and for me it was a drain-pour. I will happily revisit Brew Kettle, but I'd be hesitant to pick-up other bottled products of theirs based on this experience. (1,026 characters)

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Old 21 Imperial IPA from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works