Ringneck Dry Irish Stout - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

Ringneck Dry Irish StoutRingneck Dry Irish Stout

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works visit their website
Ohio, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 03-24-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
AltBock

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

On nitro-tap @ the Brew Kettle on April 18th, 2007. The Brew Kettle said it has a 4.5% ABV and 25 IBUs. It was served to me in a nondescript standard American pint glass. Since it was the Brew Kettle, it was more than likely served at the correct temperature.

The beer was black as black can be. I held it up to the light and not even a glimmer of light could penetrate the color of the beer. It was that black! It a wonderful off white colored 1 finger of the smoothest silkiest head of foam that I've seen on a beer yet. It looked so good that I could just eat the foam itself. If that wasn't enough, it had excellent retention. After a couple of minutes have passed, the same initial head of foam was still alive and well on top of the beer. After every sip of the beer, the head of foam left tons of white sticky in it's tracks. The appearance was just eye candy. It only had light aroma of roasted malts and chocolate. When I swirled it around, I swear it had some juicy fruits in the background. I don't know where those came from. At first I thought the head of foam was blocking the aroma from seeping out, but it smelled like that all the way down. Since they labeled this an Irish Stout, I thought it was going to be really dry, but it really wasn't that dry. The taste was dry, but not dry dry with roasted malts, a small piece of chocolate, a small drop of coffee, and then finished off with some dry roasted bitter hops. Not one taste was dominate, they were all at the same strength. The mouthfeel was light, smooth, creamy, and with a slightly dry aftertaste of bitter hops. I thought the Brew Kettle did a nice job on the Irish Dry Stout style. It was light, flavorful, and not too dry. I would get again just to look at it. That is if they have it again on nitro-tap. I don't think it would look that good coming from a bottle.

Serving type: nitro-tap

04-19-2007 03:29:32 | More by AltBock
cheers2beers

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

A special thanks to Babyhobbes for shipping this fine brew to me in a BIF.

Appearance: Solid black liquid with vague red tints when held to the light. Has a really nice looking creamed coffee head that stacked up two fingers high, only to settle at a typical quarter inch layer floating on top of my brew. Produceing a minimal amount of laceing. When you look at this beer real hard you can find a slight trace of beading inside floating to the top.

Smell: The aromas are strong roasted malts, nice hop character, ground coffee beans, and some great smelling dark chocolates. I can smell this one with my nose 3-4 inches from the glass. I wish I knew what variety of barley they roast to get such a potent aroma. Its intriguing and inviting to say the least.

Taste: The flavors are high levels of roasted and sweetened malts combined with a dry and bitter hops. Has the dark chocolates and a most profound coffee aftertaste that seems to make this beer very quaffable. I can even get some licorce flavors out of this one. Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and oh so smooth. Leaves a small smokey film behind. Minimal carbonation

Drinkability: Good drinkability for sure and I must say that this is one of the more if not the most expressive Irish stout I have tried. Although this was easy and enjoyable to drink, some might find the level of roastedness a tad over the top.

Cheers2Beers

04-27-2006 23:35:22 | More by cheers2beers
klewis

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pours black with a layer of bubbly foam.

S: Very little smell coming out of this one. Aromas of roasted malt and chocolate as far as I can tell.

T: Earthy with coffee flavors and a strong chocolatey finish.

M: The carbonation is very smooth and subtle, giving it a nitroesque texture - despite the fact that it came from a bomber. Not as dry as most.

D: With great mouthfeel and taste and a low ABV, I could drink tons of this stuff.

03-24-2006 05:09:52 | More by klewis
Ringneck Dry Irish Stout from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.