White Rajah - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

White RajahWhite Rajah

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: jampics2 on 10-18-2010

A West Coast style IPA full of citrus-like and tropical fruit like hop flavor and aroma with an assertive yet smooth bitter finish....malt, take a back seat please
Ratings: 1,939 | Reviews: 368

I've been drinking this for the better part of the day, okay I've only had like three or four but they're incredible. I loved the beer on tap but the bottles as fresh as these must be amazing. Please let my local store get a steady supply of these why would I want other beers when this is coming in to the area.

First off when you crack a bottle the aroma comes out and sprays you with hop love. Poured into a glass it appears as deep orange nearly copper color with a bright white head forming thick head. I bought two of the four sixpacks without hesitating, I should have grabbed a whole case at $10.99 a sixer. Anyways I've got my cousin going in tomorrow to get the rest of the beers left.

Aroma is full of grapefruit citrus peel and pineapple tropical fruit notes maybe a hint of pine cones and floral notes but it's simply hoppy as hell with the new Citra hops that have been used in most of this years hoppy must have beers. Fresh cut hops greener than most of the the ads and tax benefits of this year. Reminds me of year of the Simcoe, and year of the Amarillo hops in the past ten years. I welcome each new craze that adds to a hophead palate, I must be spoiled to be 29 yrs old and have experienced at least three to four hop crazy years.

Year of the Citra is no different and much welcomed this beer warmed up tastes great, like a clean sugar coated hop train diving down into an abyss of semi sweet coated sugars, that leave a balanced tropical/grapefruit sugar balance from the bittering aspects of the malts, wthat a great beer that is recognized as good no matter who the audience is. The damn popular kid in the class, either way there's different strokes for different folks, and most people enjoy this type of beer. White Rajah is dangerous for me and like I said since I've been drinking this the better part of the day somebody better tell me when, I'm starting to misstype, other than that quality an awesome all around hoppy offering.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a mellow carbonation ample but not overdone or in your face carrying along with it a nice resinous hop oil texture that carries each sip. Overall impression is indefinitely a good one, I can't compare this to anything I dislike, so in short this is the best part of every hoppy beer I currently enjoy.

Perfect Golden in colour. Nice fruity Taste. One of the best beer I have ever had.

THIS HAS TO BE MY FAVORITE IPA OF ALL TIME

How can it get any better than this?

Don't really know how you can beat this. I don't find anything wrong with it.

Flavor, smell, mouthfeel, appearance are all top notch.

I've had a lot of the best: Heady, Pliny, Abner, Enjoy By. This beer is right there with them. I'd probably say Heady beats it but that's only if I HAVE to pick.

I travel from MD to OH for family and holidays and each time I do I seek this fresh IPA out.

I give you my first ever 100% 5.0 review...

There is no question about it, this is the best IPA I've ever tried! Pliny, Hopslam, Dreadnaught, not a single one of them hold a candle to the flavor and nose of this beer!

The nose give you nothing but the freshest citrus hop tones, the taste and mouth feel back that up with a supportive malt accent and a crisp carb.

I cannot say anymore because furtherwords wouldn't do justice to this beer, find it, FIND IT NOW!

5's across the board for me. This beer is PERFECT for my taste buds. Assertive bitterness gives way to mild fruity sweetness at the finish, which is exactly what I want from an IPA.

Just awesome.

Hands down my favorite IPA. I am also lucky enough to live 10 minutes away from the brewery so I have access to it 24/7.
The smell of this beer is redunk, its smooth and slightly hoppy with a taste that WOWs just like the smell. Its pretty consistent from batch to batch, although I have purchased a sixer or two that were a little hoppier than normal but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If given the opportunity to try this beer i strongly advise doing so, you wont regret it!

I finally found this on the shelves of one of my local shops. A 12oz. bottle poured into my DFH sniffer. Smells like 5-Alive fruit punch. Wow, this might be the best IPA I have ever tasted. This is a dry, bitter, citrus bomb. Loads of grapefruit and mango. No trace of the 7% ABV, very well hidden. This is a world class IPA.

To me, this is a perfect IPA. The citrusy aroma and flavor are incredible. It's not what I would call a "balanced beer" and that's exactly what I want in an IPA! If I want a malty beer, I'll drink a stout or scotch ale. Don't get me wrong, the malt is there, but it's juuuust there enough. The hops are the star here.
If I have to dock it on one thing, it's the label. Silly I know, but the label sucks. If I didn't know this beer was great already, I'd be thrown off by the UK and US flag combo, thinking that it meant a blend of US and UK hops, which thankfully isn't the case! All west coast style IPA, all the way! Love the CITRA!

A - Opened the bottle and it poured a deep orange with a white head...about a finger worth. some visible carbonation.

S - Citra hop blast with grapefruit, mango, tropical fruit and just dank fresh hops, It smells so good. The malts clearly take a backseat on this.

T - SCORE! exactly the nose, but a little more bitterness and bite. really nice citric blast in your mouth, a great ipa.

M - Tingly and medium bodied. nice carbonation..

O - Overall, a great ipa! really nice balance of everything i love about the style...a really great beer and worth seeking out.

4.99/5  rDev +15.8%

A hop spectacle for the taste buds. Had this at the Brew Kettle fresh... as good as it gets baby! P.S. Check out Ogrefest!

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

American IPAs are the beers that got me started loving craft brewing. This is a notable example of what happens with a commitment to a style of beer from a great brewery. Thanks Matt for picking this up for me.

Pours a golden orange color with white bubbles that come to the surface right away. The color held up to the light is nearly perfect to me.

Aroma blew my socks off. Such a profound grapefruit/lemon zest aroma. I am not sure how they pack that much aroma into a beer but if I could have that smell around for a bad day you damn well better believe I would!

Taste was also superb. I was amazed how the lemon and orange zest carrier through the entire sitting. We had this with strawberries and blue cheese. If you have never tried this combo with a rockstar IPA, give it a shot. Flavor had hints of alcohol at best.

In my top 5 IPAs ever. What a wonderful brew.

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Wow. Just wow. Bravo TBK Bravo.

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Had it on tap and bottle. Pours a beautiful semi-
transparent yellow with some nice lacing around the glass. Aroma is more like a DIPA with citrus and pine jumping out at you. It tastes just like it smells. A rich mouthfeel that seems to make me want to almost chug it. An outstnding Midwest IPa. This is my new go to beer.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Great citrus hop flavor. Drinks smooth. No long-lingering aftertaste. A great IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Bought multiple 6-packs of this stuff from Jungle Jim's and plan on savoring the stuff over the next few weeks.

A - Poured a light, golden yellow into a standard pint glass, sustaining a 1/4-inch head that left moderate lacing along the sides of the glass.

S - Smells like heaven. And if you're not sure what heaven smells like.. buy or trade for some of this, pour it into a glass & smell it. A nice floral scent accentuated by grapefuit and a good wiff of the well-balanced citra hops.

T - Outstanding. Hops definitely hit you but are not overpowering, balanced perfectly with the malt and the refreshing, tropical flavor that comes across with the hint of lemon and grapefruit.

M - Goes down easily with no bitterness left in the mouth.

Overall - My first TBK beer and the finest American IPA I've ever tasted. Bell's Two-Hearted has been dethroned as the best readily available American IPA in SW Ohio. Here's to hoping that production of White Rajah continues year round, unabated!

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Tough to find in NW Ohio, but I did it! From a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Nice hoppy, citrusy smell and orange/honey color -- gonna be a good one. Yes it is! Pleasantly bitter with a taste of pine, grapefruit, orange, and just enough funk. Deserves to be in the top 100. And it is! How'd I know?!

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Golden orange with a centimeter of white head.

Whoa! Loads of tropical fruits in the nose. Pineapple and clementine come to mind.

My mouth is watering...and I am not let down. This is a massive hop bomb! Medium body with plenty of carbonation. Great background bitterness with a delicious citrus punch and pineapple sweetness but yet tart. I am amazed. How did I miss this beer for so long?

The label is not misleading. White Rajah really comes through as a west coast style IPA. There is tons and tons of fruit coming from the hops. Light malty characters come through but this is all hop forward.

Stunning!

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - golden haze with an orange / copper color.
S - As good as it gets.
T - Excellent hop bitterness, orange zest, citrus
M - Mild carbonation, medium mouthfeel

Overall - One of the most underrated IPAs out there. Delicious, incredible aroma and just an all around excellent beer. If you haven't had one yet, find one. Can go head to head with any of the West Coast top guns.

4.91/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favorite IPA (even beating the likes of Fathead's Headhunter, for crying in a bucket) and in my top 5 beers of all time. Simply fantastic and unique aroma, taste, and mouthfeel--the blend of Hops used is magical. I'm smitten...problem is that while I'm from where this nectar is brewed, I now live in South Florida--where I can't get it.

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Definitely one of the best IPAs I've had. Pours on the deeper golden color side of the ipa range with a half inch of white head. The smell is fantastic, dominated by citrus and hops. Taste is similar and on the sweeter side. Hops are not dominating but a good presence. Overall a must try.

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

A - beautiful copper/straw/golden body with a big offwhite head. Very pretty color, good head...doesn't get better than this.

S - This is the smell I've been missing...big pungent grassy piney citrusy hops. It's got some fruity notes...It's nearly perfect.

T - Biting citrus on the front, sweet tropical fruit in the middle, and bitter earthy notes on the back. The finish and aftertaste leave a tingle of pungent bitterness. God Damn this is good!

M - Light, but not thin. It's good, but not spectacular.

O - this is without a doubt one of the best single IPA's I've ever had. This has renewed and redoubled my love for hops. Cheers!

Edit: I'm always wary of giving 5s. But the longer I drink this, the more I realize its probably the best IPA I've ever had. It's seriously super good.

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Candied fruits and slight bitterness that dissipates quickly. Bomb diggity.

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

Had never heard of this beer or brewery before. Completely caught off guard by how amazing this beer was. One of the best IPA's I've had.

White Rajah from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works