White Rajah - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

White RajahWhite Rajah

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works visit their website
Ohio, United States

A West Coast style IPA full of citrus-like and tropical fruit like hop flavor and aroma with an assertive yet smooth bitter finish....malt, take a back seat please

(Beer added by: jampics2 on 10-18-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
aasher

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

I received this bottle in an in person trade with eyeenjoybeer this past Friday. Thanks Michael!

This beer pours a very clear and vibrant bright copper in color with a two finger, creamy white head. The aromas are a nice mix of pineapple, grapefruit, with a light sweetness and no bitterness to speak of. The nose is a mix of Double Trouble and Dreadnaught. How in the hell did they pull that off? It smells amazing! It tastes of sweet malt with a light mix of pineapple, piny hops, and a little more malt. It's solid but doesn't come close to matching the nose. I don't really like my IPAs this sweet. For tasting as sweet as it does, it isn't very sticky and drinks pretty clean. It's pretty refreshing as well. Overall it's a very nice IPA and something that the Brew Kettle should be proud of. It's on the verge of being on the level or premiere IPAs.

09-19-2011 02:10:46 | More by aasher
MasterSki

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to Sean for sharing this at Zwanze Day 2011. Served in a Cantillon glass, before it was unexpectedly poured out by an over-zealous employee. Thankfully I was able to get a refill.

A - A finger-plus of white foam settles to a thin cap and thicker collar, leaving behind minimal lacework. Transparent golden body. Nice-looking brew.

S - Orange creamsicle, tropical fruits, a bit of tangerine zest, and sugar cookie malts. Very enjoyable and potent aroma.

T - Taste is a little more understated, with the sugary malt obscuring the various fruity hop flavors a bit - instead of a rich cornucopia of flavors it's more smoothed out. There's still some citrus rind as well as mild bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium body, lower carbonation, juicy texture, and a dry finish. Alcohol is well-hidden. This is pretty much how I like my IPAs.

D - A solid, enjoyable IPA. The taste doesn't quite live up to the promise of the aroma, but I'd gladly have this one again - hopefully a six-packs finds it way to me in the near future.

09-19-2011 01:53:50 | More by MasterSki
iadler

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Bottle courtesy of exitmusic00. You're the man Matt.

A- Pours a dark orange with a fluffy two finger head that sticks around for quite some time. No lacing is left behind.

S- Fresh tropical fruits with peach, passion fruit, mango, clementines and pineapple. Orange zest and pink grapefruit follow with a bit of caramel malt. The smell is fantastic.

T- Tropical notes are not as prominent, but there is still some peach, passion fruit, mango, clementines, pineapple and a bit of honeydew. Some bitterness provided by orange zest and pink grapefruit with a bit of sweetness from the caramel malt.

M- Low to medium carbonation and medium body. Fairly creamy mouthfeel and quite drinkable.

O- Really enjoyed this IPA. One of the best smelling IPA's I've had for quite some time. There seems to be some citra hops but can't tell what other ones are present. I would love to have this more available to me as it would be a staple in my fridge.

09-15-2011 17:06:23 | More by iadler
rembrant

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Pours a clear golden with a nice frothy head that's a plus, a full 2 fingers and durable leaving a lot of lace and hop oils on the glass.

Aroma is a winner, you think in terms of the biggest bestest hop bombs you've had, many of those DIPA not IPA. Potent scent from this very fresh bottle. Last week, this was nowhere to be seen and Brewkettl had only sold bottles. Rajah features Citra, and I don't know if it includes others. The Scent is pungent with citrus, evergreen and herb in the mix and the brighness you'd crave in a fresh hop bomb.

The taste? If you like hops this is a GEM. Cold,I get more Grapefruit+tangerine, with a shift to Pineapple + a hint of honey as it warms, as if It starts as Kern Citra or Hop Stoopid, then as it warms changes to Nugget Nectar and then Hopslam.

Last week in Columbus I scored 3 exceptional IPA's including Columbus IPA and Widmer IPA's featuring Nelson Sauvin and Citra hops. This is an IPA in that class and beyond. As the aroma hinted, this is an IPA that really slams you with hops...in the kindest way. The malt sings backup and does it well. The hops don't go TOO grapefruit,instead have a fine complexity, nice traditions.

I went to a tasting in town, we shared a Kern Citra, later did a side by side of Columbus IPA and Rajah for Ohio IPA champion...Rajah won, and Rajah held up well vs Kern's Citr DIPA too. It ought to stand up even vs legends like Nugget Nectar and Hopslam.

This summer I got my intro to Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious and Columbus IPA...2 super IPA's. I also had Super Juice and Smells Like Weed, Dark Horse's tap only hop monsters and a couple of DIPA classics,Hop Stoopid and Kern Citra. That I'm buying White Rajah 2 sixers at a time if I see it...says a lot.

Mouth....An IPA needs body but has to be snappy,brisk,bittered,ultra refreshing with the right carbo and finish. White Rajah nailed it.

Drinkable/overall...Drinkable is what an IPA has to do. Here's a star of drinkable. I want more.

09-15-2011 14:47:32 | More by rembrant
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

deep orange amber, and absolutely crystal clear. There was a radiance about it that was outstanding. Tons of carbonation rippling up toward the surface, three-inch head of white foam formed on the top settled down into a nice one finger high pillow

t pungent, ripping citrus hops you could imagine. Just absolutely the freshest grapefruit smell. slightest bit of sugar on the back end sweetening it up, but otherwise this was just a hop driven monster of an IPA. dripping fresh hop taste. Really extremely sharp, crisp, and just unbelievably fresh, As it warmed some slight bready characters came out, but nothing was toppling the huge hop taste. In fact, it made a nice transformation over to a pine resin like flavor as it warmed, and got even stickier. The finish was huge, dry, and bitter, perfect.

09-15-2011 01:44:27 | More by mikesgroove
Urbancaver

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a crystal clear golden orange. perfect frothy white head. This beer looks incredible!
Smells hoppy and citrus heavy. Grapefruit, a touch of pine. Smells wonderful.
Tastes like it smells. The bitterness is just a hair more than I'd like. piney but also citrus heavy on the tongue. The malts are barely present but fill out the body nicely.
Nice solid mouthfeel. Rich, full, well carbonated.
Overall, top notch. I'm quite impressed!

09-13-2011 02:51:08 | More by Urbancaver
schwaeh

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

A: Pours a nice honey color with good clarity. I managed a 1.5 finger pillowy white head. Nice lacing.

S: Wow, seriously? This is as tropical an IPA as I've smelled. Tons of citrus, namely orange, mango, and grapefruit. A good amount of pine encompasses the aroma providing much of the body with the pale malts. A true 5.0, this doesn't need any work at all.

T: A little less fruity than the nose. I get a solid dose of orange, pineapple and grapefruit up front riding the wave of pale malt. Good citrus flavor. The finish fades from the tropical fruits into a lingering pine bitterness.

M: Slick, medium mouthfeel. Really resinous on the finish with a very long linger.

O: I didn't want this to live up to the rage it's getting right now but it is definitely upper echelon. Fairly complex flavor profile for an IPA.
I can see this as Green Flash WCIPA meets Columbus IPA, certainly a winning combination. Hopheads need to seek this out.

09-13-2011 00:48:13 | More by schwaeh
brew3crew

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at flipdaddy's burgers and beers

A-transparent golden

S-awesome. (Great grapefruit smell with a little bit of citrus)

T-drink it and find out. Bitches (drinks more like a dipa. Lots of grapefruit. Smooth)

M-wet. (Medium body and smooth. Lingering hop bitterness)

O-too expensive to get plastered on.(very good. But deserving of the hype that is startting to generate? Prolly not)

(What is in the () is mine)

09-11-2011 23:46:34 | More by brew3crew
CaptCleveland

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Big news to have this stellar brew now in bottles.
I have tried WR on tap at the Brew Kettle taproom and via growler from Whole Foods, but this is the first bottle.

Called Lizardville on Miles and they graciously held 4 12 0z bottles one of which has been poured into a DFH glass for this tasting.

Pale-yellow, clear elixir, 3mm white ring of foam with plenty of heavy lace.

The Citra hops are abundant, grapefruit, honey, pine backbone with a touch of grass; everything you want in a nice hoppy brew.

The taste does not disappoint: Grapefruit, citrus at the front, smooth hop bitterness, light caramel. Reminds me of Columbus's awesome IPA, but with an extra smoothness that lets the hops come to the forefront, but not spoil the complexity. Well done. One to seek out if the hops are your thing.

09-11-2011 22:08:16 | More by CaptCleveland
ColdPoncho

4.9/5  rDev +14%

A - beautiful copper/straw/golden body with a big offwhite head. Very pretty color, good head...doesn't get better than this.

S - This is the smell I've been missing...big pungent grassy piney citrusy hops. It's got some fruity notes...It's nearly perfect.

T - Biting citrus on the front, sweet tropical fruit in the middle, and bitter earthy notes on the back. The finish and aftertaste leave a tingle of pungent bitterness. God Damn this is good!

M - Light, but not thin. It's good, but not spectacular.

O - this is without a doubt one of the best single IPA's I've ever had. This has renewed and redoubled my love for hops. Cheers!

Edit: I'm always wary of giving 5s. But the longer I drink this, the more I realize its probably the best IPA I've ever had. It's seriously super good.

09-11-2011 18:38:13 | More by ColdPoncho
Aristotle1

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Bought multiple 6-packs of this stuff from Jungle Jim's and plan on savoring the stuff over the next few weeks.

A - Poured a light, golden yellow into a standard pint glass, sustaining a 1/4-inch head that left moderate lacing along the sides of the glass.

S - Smells like heaven. And if you're not sure what heaven smells like.. buy or trade for some of this, pour it into a glass & smell it. A nice floral scent accentuated by grapefuit and a good wiff of the well-balanced citra hops.

T - Outstanding. Hops definitely hit you but are not overpowering, balanced perfectly with the malt and the refreshing, tropical flavor that comes across with the hint of lemon and grapefruit.

M - Goes down easily with no bitterness left in the mouth.

Overall - My first TBK beer and the finest American IPA I've ever tasted. Bell's Two-Hearted has been dethroned as the best readily available American IPA in SW Ohio. Here's to hoping that production of White Rajah continues year round, unabated!

09-10-2011 04:52:42 | More by Aristotle1
BeerBuckeye

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Pours a very light orange/amber, very clear and transparent, great 1.5 finger. Bubbly and leaves a lot of good lacing.

S - Wow, this is just a regular IPA? It's got a TON of sweet grapefruit, a bit of pine, a dash of honey, some orange citrus. Fantastic smelling beer. Reminds me of Hopslam, honestly.

T - Superb. It's a wallop of hops, I mean right in your face. The sweetness is still there, but not as prominent as in the nose. The grapefruit comes out right away before fading into a mouthful of bitter, piney hops. A good malt backbone. It's a hop wallop, but balance.

M - Very good. Alcohol stays hidden, the taste is smooth and the bitterness doesn't dry the mouth. The taste that lingers is very pleasant.

Overall - Outstanding. One of the best IPAs out there. I can't believe how well this beer turned out. A pleasure to drink.

09-10-2011 01:46:15 | More by BeerBuckeye
projectflam86

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle lists this as 6.8% ABV and 70 IBUs.

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden/orange color with a thick white foam head that leaves good lacing.

S- This nose is exceptional. Tropical hop aromas dominate with ruby red grapefruit and passion fruit being the easiest to pick out. Also a fair amount of pine and some light floral aromas. West coast all the way.

T- Nice bitterness initially that gives way to a very light but very welcome caramel sweetness in the finish. Grapefruit and pine still make up most of the flavor profile with mango, pineapple, passion fruit and a good dose of alcohol throughout. Far from balanced, but the malt backbone is noticeable.

M- Medium bodied with good carbonation. Quite dry and assertive.

O- I have to admit, this one impressed me. I'm a sucker for west coast hop bombs so its truly nice to find something a bit more accessible in my neck of the woods.

09-08-2011 23:25:02 | More by projectflam86
LiquidCucumber

4.43/5  rDev +3%

A - Lightly hazed and the color of straw. One of the lighter brews of this style. Pours with a fluffy white head which leaves lacing all over the glass.

S - Sweet, succulent and juicy hops make your mouth water on command. All of the requisite smells are there; citrus fruits, pine and resin.

T - I said it when I got a growler but I'll say it again: this is one of the most intensely bitter single IPA's I have ever had. And it is super tasty. So much guava, mango and citrus and also a big hit of hoppy resin.

M - This is a dry beer and the astringent properties of the hops only add more to this effect. Makes one hell of a hoppy burp.

O - So very glad this one has come out in 6-packs. I enjoy Columbus IPA a little more than this, but man oh man, this is one excellent brew.

09-08-2011 22:52:38 | More by LiquidCucumber
Bonis

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes: 9/4/11
This was a beer that has had some mini hype here in Ohio. Some of my friends have tried it and liked it, so I figured I would rush out and get some when it was released in bottles. This is from their first bottled batch, very fresh (~7 days old), so we'll see how long it stays tasting that way. This was my third bottle. Figured I'd have it a couple times before reviewing.

A - Lighter golden in color, looks filtered. Nice 1.5 inch white head with some lengthy retention. Leaves solid lace. Looks decent, but I can already tell there won't be much malt flavor. Least impressive aspect of the beer, by far.

S - Who needs malts? This is straight up tropical fruit, grapefruit and tangerine, and skunky resinous dank. Mangoes, pineapple, mandarin orange. I can't say I've ever smelled a beer like this, hopwise.

T - A nice balance of pure hop flavor and complementary bittering hops all in one. A true hop bomb. Tropical flavors come in from the nose, grapefruit and orange rind mingle in, skunky resinous hops reside as well. Malts take a huge back seat, as indicated on the bottle. No alcohol until it starts to seriously warm. I'd say this is how the American IPA was meant to taste.

M - Hops oils bombard and coat my mouth with each huge gulp. Bitterness lingers a bit, but just the way it should. Carbonation is where I want it. It's there, but not too awfully much.

O - Hate to be on the hype train, but this beer was awesome. Truly an excellent IPA. Rivals Columbus IPA for the best tasting IPA in Ohio (IMO). Hope BK makes this one a regular in their lineup. It's damn near the best IPA I've ever tasted. Like I said, we'll see how it holds up over the next couple months. Oh nevermind, I won't have it that long.

9/27/2011 Notes:
After reevaluating this beer a couple times since my first review, I have to lower the scores just a tad. The hop aromas and flavors that I remembered have faded quite a lot. I know this is common for IPAs, but I have had some IPAs that held up much better than this one, and it hasn't even been 3 weeks. Again, when this beer was a week old, it was hard for me to say I tasted a better IPA, but at this point in the life of this beer, it isn't doing quite as good. Don't get me wrong, it's still in the top 3 IPAs I've had, but it just isn't holding up like I wanted.

09-06-2011 04:44:12 | More by Bonis
bb8189

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

A- Pours a light golden color - a bit lighter than I was expecting based on the style. No haze at all. Light on the lacing as well

S- Very strong smell on this one - tons of grapefruit. This is a very impressive smell. Makes up for the appearance in my mind. Can't wait to taste

T- Sweet to start with plenty of that grapefruit coming through followed by a nice lingering bitterness. Very nice in this regard

M- Medium bodied - this is how an IPA should feel in my opinion.

O- I think this one is square in the "pretty good" range. Not quite great. Pretty good is nothing to be ashamed of though. I certainly enjoyed every drop and will seek it out again for sure.

09-06-2011 02:10:22 | More by bb8189
seeswo

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a apple-juice golden with a nice white head. Looks really good. As soon as the bottle open, an aroma of piney and tropical hops make their way out. A bit of biscuit malts as well. Very nice! The taste is very similar to blind pig. Strong grapefruit and piney hop flavor up front with a middle of biscuit malt and bitterness and a finish of more of a grapefruit, tropical hop flavor. Really interesting and quite good. This is really a tasty brew with some serious hop flavor. The mouthfeel is medium, with medium carbonation. I really like this beer a lot, especially if I could get it regularly around here. One of the best flyover IPAs I've had which can compete with, though probably not beat, the best of the west coast. I had this quite fresh and it is unknown how well it holds up. Enjoy!

09-04-2011 20:26:30 | More by seeswo
brewdan

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a clear dark golden with a white head.

Smell is dominated by the hops; a huge grapefruit hop blast with a touch of tropical fruit (papaya, mango).

Taste is dominated by the hops. One sip and all you can taste for minutes is dry bitter piney grapefruit zest.

Mouthfeel is good; good creamy carbonation.

Overall this reminded me of the first time I opened a Pliny and smelled those glorious hops. One of the longest most drying finishes of any IPA I've had.

09-03-2011 02:52:46 | More by brewdan
bluejacket74

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've been waiting to try this for a while now, hope it's as good as everyone tells me it is! 12 ounce bottle, 6.8% ABV. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear golden/orange color with an inch and a half frothy off-white head. Head retention is excellent, and there's a decent amount of lacing left on the glass. The grapefruit aroma is strong in this brew. There's also some tropical fruit, lemon peel, pine hops and a bit of bready malt. Taste is pretty much just like the aroma. The citrusy hop flavors dominate, and there's also some pine hops and a bit of bready malt flavors noticable too. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy and has good carbonation. This is a pretty good brew, I wasn't disappointed at all. At $10.99 a 6-pack, I think it's worth every penny.

09-02-2011 22:09:51 | More by bluejacket74
agomega

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Served on-tap into a tulip glass at Senate in Cincinnati.

Appearance: Light golden yellow in color with a small white head.

Smell: Citrus aroma - especially grapefruit

Taste: Citrus flavors dominate, especially the grapefruit flavor. The taste is slightly sweet with only a slightly bitter finish. The hoppy taste is smooth and are not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and average carbonation.

Overall: This is an extremely tasty and satisfying IPA. It goes down easily and is very refreshing. I had two with dinner and I probably would have had a third if I was staying any longer. An excellent beer.

08-28-2011 21:21:39 | More by agomega
TheHoppiest

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Had this on tap at TBK in a pint glass. Pours a clear golden copper color with a minimal white head.

Has a spicy aroma, with plenty of white grapefruit and caramel malt. Quite citrusy, I can already tell I'm going to like this one!

Hop forward, like stabbing a straw into a grapefruit and drinking deep, this is a citrusy, hoppy brew. Mango and pineapple notes are present, but are really dominated by the white grapefruit. Smooths out mid-sip with the caramel malt starting to come through, before a dry bitter finish.

Medium bodied, this is a very refreshing bitter beer.

This is a very well rounded West-coast style American IPA. Well hopped, quite citrusy, and with a decent malt backbone, it's no wonder this won a gold medal and Best in Show at the 2011 IX Center International Beer Fest. I absolutely recommend grabbing this if you can!

08-20-2011 16:30:18 | More by TheHoppiest
Daehpoh

4.6/5  rDev +7%

Sampled on draft at Paxton's in Loveland, OH.

Appearance is a clear golden orange with some sticky lacing left on the glass.

Smell is bursting with dank piney hops and tropical fruits. Grapefruit and mango. Fresh hop aroma with a bit of pale malt buried underneath.

Taste is strong on the pine and citrus hop flavors. Some mild sweet caramel followed by a bitter clean finish. Hop heavy but a good balance for an IPA. I think this could be the definition of what an American IPA should taste like.

Medium body and dry. This is very easy drinking with a clean finish that leaves plenty of hoppiness on the palate.

Overall an excellent IPA. This is my second time trying this brew and it is just as good as the first. Definitely recommend this for hopheads for its great flavor and aroma.

08-19-2011 20:18:04 | More by Daehpoh
Stinkypuss

Brew Kettle : White Rajah

Poured ontap into a pint glass. A clear golden colored brew with a small white cap and plenty of lacing. Aroma is not unlike a bag of fresh hops or pellets. Concentrated hop aroma and very inviting. In the flavor, over the top pine, bitter lemon rind, and grapefruit hop profile. Really quenching and hitting all the right notes. I love how hop forward this brew is, with a great fresh pine taste. In the finish, citrus and a light earthy bitterness. Medium to light bodied feel with a good hop bite. Overall, an exceptional IPA. Would like to get this regularly.

08-11-2011 16:45:54 | More by Stinkypuss
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

From 64oz growler to Bruges hybrid glass on 7/12/11
*From notes

I owe a massive thanks to Señor siege06nd for bringing a couple of growlers back from Cleveland, and generously sharing one with me.

A: Filtered, rich amber. It's certainly a good bit darker then I'd expected. A generous pour yields a 2.25 finger head. The lacing here is top notch - gobs of the white sticky stuff rims the entire glass.

S: How's it go? "Juicy Fruit, it's gonna move ya!" Damn right. This is jam-packed with an epic amount of juicy, tropical fruit and freshly sliced pineapple. This bad mamajama is a certified hop bomb.

T: There's no playing around with this one. It's all hops all the way. Malt and yeast be damned! The exotic and utterly knee quivering tropical and juicy hop oil kills it on the fore, and easily surfs onto the mid. The late-mid to finish is slightly bitter. And wouldn't you know - a touch of golden malt arrives just as it all ties together on the back end.

M: Rock solid. It's creamy and perfectly carbed. Insanely drinkable.

O: The Brew Kettle's White Rajah is one of the absolute best American IPA's I've encountered. If you're looking for your next hop fix, make sure to get your hands on what The Kettle's pushin'. This is superb stuff. Seek it out at almost any cost.

Mucho, mucho thanks, John - you're the tits!

Serving type: growler

08-04-2011 00:10:35 | More by Rhettroactive
b3shine

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft to pint. Looks great; not too dark, not too light. Smells great too; fresh hops and citrus. Tastes good; light and hoppy . Mouthfeel is excellent; the easiest drinking 7.1% beer I've ever had. I'd probably have given it a 5, but it's just so different from a normal IPA. Overall, a great beer that I'll be having again - in about 5 minutes when I get up to order another :)

07-06-2011 21:34:03 | More by b3shine