White Rajah - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

White RajahWhite Rajah

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: jampics2 on 10-18-2010

A West Coast style IPA full of citrus-like and tropical fruit like hop flavor and aroma with an assertive yet smooth bitter finish....malt, take a back seat please
4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Bought multiple 6-packs of this stuff from Jungle Jim's and plan on savoring the stuff over the next few weeks.

A - Poured a light, golden yellow into a standard pint glass, sustaining a 1/4-inch head that left moderate lacing along the sides of the glass.

S - Smells like heaven. And if you're not sure what heaven smells like.. buy or trade for some of this, pour it into a glass & smell it. A nice floral scent accentuated by grapefuit and a good wiff of the well-balanced citra hops.

T - Outstanding. Hops definitely hit you but are not overpowering, balanced perfectly with the malt and the refreshing, tropical flavor that comes across with the hint of lemon and grapefruit.

M - Goes down easily with no bitterness left in the mouth.

Overall - My first TBK beer and the finest American IPA I've ever tasted. Bell's Two-Hearted has been dethroned as the best readily available American IPA in SW Ohio. Here's to hoping that production of White Rajah continues year round, unabated!

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Tough to find in NW Ohio, but I did it! From a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Nice hoppy, citrusy smell and orange/honey color -- gonna be a good one. Yes it is! Pleasantly bitter with a taste of pine, grapefruit, orange, and just enough funk. Deserves to be in the top 100. And it is! How'd I know?!

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Golden orange with a centimeter of white head.

Whoa! Loads of tropical fruits in the nose. Pineapple and clementine come to mind.

My mouth is watering...and I am not let down. This is a massive hop bomb! Medium body with plenty of carbonation. Great background bitterness with a delicious citrus punch and pineapple sweetness but yet tart. I am amazed. How did I miss this beer for so long?

The label is not misleading. White Rajah really comes through as a west coast style IPA. There is tons and tons of fruit coming from the hops. Light malty characters come through but this is all hop forward.

Stunning!

4.91/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - golden haze with an orange / copper color.
S - As good as it gets.
T - Excellent hop bitterness, orange zest, citrus
M - Mild carbonation, medium mouthfeel

Overall - One of the most underrated IPAs out there. Delicious, incredible aroma and just an all around excellent beer. If you haven't had one yet, find one. Can go head to head with any of the West Coast top guns.

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Definitely one of the best IPAs I've had. Pours on the deeper golden color side of the ipa range with a half inch of white head. The smell is fantastic, dominated by citrus and hops. Taste is similar and on the sweeter side. Hops are not dominating but a good presence. Overall a must try.

4.9/5  rDev +14%

A - beautiful copper/straw/golden body with a big offwhite head. Very pretty color, good head...doesn't get better than this.

S - This is the smell I've been missing...big pungent grassy piney citrusy hops. It's got some fruity notes...It's nearly perfect.

T - Biting citrus on the front, sweet tropical fruit in the middle, and bitter earthy notes on the back. The finish and aftertaste leave a tingle of pungent bitterness. God Damn this is good!

M - Light, but not thin. It's good, but not spectacular.

O - this is without a doubt one of the best single IPA's I've ever had. This has renewed and redoubled my love for hops. Cheers!

Edit: I'm always wary of giving 5s. But the longer I drink this, the more I realize its probably the best IPA I've ever had. It's seriously super good.

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

White rajah pours a light, golden hue with no haze. A two finger head forms with no effort and leaves thin lacing as it recedes. The label reads: "taming the savage hop".

The smell is intense and spills over the glass filling the air with grapefruit rind, ripe mango, and other tropical aromas. A slight pine scent pricks at the nose as well.

James Brooke must have loved tropical fruits because this brew is dominated by their flavors. I'm picking up a host of them including mango, lemon, grapefruit, and pineapple. After the initial fruit blast some sweet malts come in pairing up with them and presenting ripened pineapple juice. Some bitter hops quickly follow and round it out creating a very complete and outstanding ipa profile. The finish is slightly piney and dry leaving a thirst for more.

I originally tried this on tap at Jackie o's and came away unimpressed. Admittedly I probably destroyed my palate with hogwash and therefore didn't represent the beer well. A local shop had this in bottles so thankfully I decided to give it another shot as this is arguably the best American ipa I have ever had. The fact that its available to me year round gives it the edge over the likes of hopslam, oak jai alai, and double jack-all world class brews.

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a clear golden with a nice frothy head that's a plus, a full 2 fingers and durable leaving a lot of lace and hop oils on the glass.

Aroma is a winner, you think in terms of the biggest bestest hop bombs you've had, many of those DIPA not IPA. Potent scent from this very fresh bottle. Last week, this was nowhere to be seen and Brewkettl had only sold bottles. Rajah features Citra, and I don't know if it includes others. The Scent is pungent with citrus, evergreen and herb in the mix and the brighness you'd crave in a fresh hop bomb.

The taste? If you like hops this is a GEM. Cold,I get more Grapefruit+tangerine, with a shift to Pineapple + a hint of honey as it warms, as if It starts as Kern Citra or Hop Stoopid, then as it warms changes to Nugget Nectar and then Hopslam.

Last week in Columbus I scored 3 exceptional IPA's including Columbus IPA and Widmer IPA's featuring Nelson Sauvin and Citra hops. This is an IPA in that class and beyond. As the aroma hinted, this is an IPA that really slams you with hops...in the kindest way. The malt sings backup and does it well. The hops don't go TOO grapefruit,instead have a fine complexity, nice traditions.

I went to a tasting in town, we shared a Kern Citra, later did a side by side of Columbus IPA and Rajah for Ohio IPA champion...Rajah won, and Rajah held up well vs Kern's Citr DIPA too. It ought to stand up even vs legends like Nugget Nectar and Hopslam.

This summer I got my intro to Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious and Columbus IPA...2 super IPA's. I also had Super Juice and Smells Like Weed, Dark Horse's tap only hop monsters and a couple of DIPA classics,Hop Stoopid and Kern Citra. That I'm buying White Rajah 2 sixers at a time if I see it...says a lot.

Mouth....An IPA needs body but has to be snappy,brisk,bittered,ultra refreshing with the right carbo and finish. White Rajah nailed it.

Drinkable/overall...Drinkable is what an IPA has to do. Here's a star of drinkable. I want more.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

With White Rajah, The Brew Kettle has concocted such a wonderfully unique interpretation of the grapefruit/ bitterness characteristics I love so much about the West Coast style IPA that I sense a paradoxical shift in my pallet!
While I've always lived by the adage "More Bitter, More Better" in my endless quest to discover a better beer IBU's have served as my trusty guide.
White Rajah has removed the bitterness to the point that the best description I can come up with is that it's more like a "juicy" grapefruit, yet not to the point that I'd ever say sweet or fruity.
I would also prescribe this beer to everyone whose palate has become stale, although I'm uncertain as to how long this Rx should last? I think I'm developing a White Rajah addiction :-)

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.84/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer was amazing, so much flavor, the smell as I pored the bottle into a pint glass was anything but subtle. So much citrus flavor in every sip.

This is an IPA that an experienced IPA drinker and a craft beer beginner could both enjoy. With all that citrus smell and flavor I was expecting a bitter finish, but it was very smooth going down. Typical IPA golden yellow color with a thin white head that quickly diminished to nothing.

4.84/5  rDev +12.6%

Wow, this was a really good IPA. I’ve heard a lot of buzz in homebrewing circles regarding Citra hops (sold out a lot of places) and I have to say I didn’t understand the buzz until I tasted this beer. A light orange body that is clear but not brilliant under a soft white head. Aroma is very citrus-y with a lot of pineapple notes. Bitterness is quite apparent but not harsh in any way. This beer has got its IBUs in all the right places to make it extremely drinkable. Mouthfeel was smooth and good. This was a very good beer. I had this on-draft at Rozi’s Wine house in Lakewood.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a deep copper with a two inch rocky slightly off white head. Great retention.

Just an amazing nose of tropical and citrus fruits with a hair of floral eaters. Grapefruit, mango, lemon zest, orange, sunflowers and more fantastic.

Very well balanced, with a spritzy biting carbonation that really benefits the beer. Grapefruit, mango, pineapple, star fruit, lemon and lime, flinty after tones leading into a floral boquet and cereal grains on the long dry finish. An amazing ipa that needs bottled soon.

4.81/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter.

A - Dark golden color with a very light head that dissipates quickly, but doesn't quite leave entirely. Lots of good lacing.

S - sweet hops, pine resin and citrus dominate this one. A bit of booze hits before caramel sweetness. You really don't notice it too much though because the hops are so dominant.

T - pine and a surprising tropical fruit that I didn't pick up on the aroma. The citrus is there, but it takes a back seat to what tastes like papaya to me. This one really sticks with you in a nice way. Very impressive with the tropical hitting and sticking around. There is a mild spiciness, like a hint of Rye in this one that shows through once the palate calms down and processes it.

M - The bitterness really hits you the most in this one, setting up the overall mouthfeel. I like this, a solid bitterness on the palate, with a mild sweetness backing it up, but not offsetting it. This is a nice mouthfeel, but not for everyone.

O - I really enjoyed this one. Glad I bought a 6-pack, but wish I had done it sooner. I would like it to be just a touch sweeter on the finish, but still a great beer.

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I think this is one of the best IPAs most people don't know about. Awesome flowery smell. Great mouthfeel, this stuff dances on my tongue. Carbonation is perfect. Great taste, every sip makes me one the next one more.

Great stuff, wish I could get this one all the time.

White Rajah from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works