White Rajah - The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works

White RajahWhite Rajah

The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: jampics2 on 10-18-2010

A West Coast style IPA full of citrus-like and tropical fruit like hop flavor and aroma with an assertive yet smooth bitter finish....malt, take a back seat please
Reviews: 351 | Hads: 2,005
4.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass, this is a slightly hazy orange-amber beer that develops a large inch-thick head of airy foam--it features excellent head retention, still large after a minute. The nose offers a big bouquet of citrusy hoppiness, readily scentable even while the beer is on the table. Really delicious flavor, too, with gobs of citrusy hop flavor, while the bitterness is not really all that high: emphasis is on taste. The malt adds some sweetness but not any real malty flavor. Finish leaves a lingering hop taste. Body is light despite the 6+% strength.

This was a real surprise. The other beers I've had from Brew Kettle this week have been fairly ordinary. This is a great IPA. (691 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours orange amber with gold highlights, slight haze. Serene, glowing and golden. Creamy head of off white foam that leaves lace. Hop bomb nose. With a citrus and with fruitiness, a good floral perfume. The nose is like a fountain of hops that is shooting into the air spectacularly. A bit of honey sweetness on the nose. Grapefruit, citrus orange and mango. It surprised me with a bit of light sweet caramel on the palate first and then that bushel of fruit. A dry cracker malt and fruit that was both sweet and tart. Lovely light mouthfeel that stayed west coast style light even though there was some malt flavor on the palate. This one drinks juicy and then there's a bitter. A staunch firm and lasting bitter that reminds you as it lingers of all that sweet and delectable fruit.

Wonderful! (797 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (no date) poured into my HF stemmed tulip...

A - Light orange in color with a nice frothy head. Very stick lace all over the glass and good retention throughout

S - Strong citrus aroma.... Oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, lemons, grassy

T - Huge hop bomb! More of the same citrus in the flavor, the slightest of malt in the backbone and some bready notes

M - Real light body, thin mouthfeel, hard hop bite on the finish

Overall, really reminds me of a Stone IPA. Real dank and citrusy. This is excellent and glad I got a chance to try it. (550 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to mtomlins for this one.

Appearance: It has a nice hazy golden/orange color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down moderately slow and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of citrus, grapefruit, pine resins, floral hops, sweet caramel and light bready malts.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has some citrus, grapefruit, floral notes, bitter pine resins, light caramel and some bready malts.

Mouthfeel: It has a low-med carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied by great flavors and aromas. Great IPA but it's just a touch too malty for my liking. (670 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Chilled, poured into IPA glass.
I can find no bottled date on the bottle, but the person I got this from assures me it is less than a month old.

Appearance is a pretty cloudy, not clear. Nice head and lacing, I can clearly track my gulps.
The Smell is beautiful. Before I drank I took several deep whiffs. Wonderful hop aroma.
Taste is really good; the bitterness is a bit more intense than the sweetness, I pick up the bitterness on the finish especially. A lot of citrus notes, resiny, some pine. Very drinkable for sure.

Overall, an outstanding beer that I would seek out again. A light, decently balanced, citrus dominant IPA that would be enjoyable to hop-lovers and balance lovers a like.

Cheers! (707 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First tried White Rajah in a bottle a while ago and was left disappointed; had it on draft last night at J Alexanders and was blown away! Sure wish Brew Kettle bottle dated as I never know how fresh the beer is at local stores. (227 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into my teku glass

A - Pours an aggressive 2.5 finger head, white with tiny bubbles, hazy copper in body. Head lingers and leaves nice lacing on the edges. Legs run quickly.

S - I mostly get citrus. Maybe grapefruit and other non-descript citrus fruits. In the back end, I am getting some sweeter malt, maybe crystal. Weak nose.

T - Taste starts with a nice citrus blast. Mid-palate, it turns a bit piney. On the finish, I get resinous pine and a hint of sweet malt. It's very well balanced while the malt profile still lets the hops steal the show. Probably a heavy dose of citra or centennial in the later stages of the boil/dry hop.

M - Mostly dryish on the finish. Mildly bitter but not offensive.

O - The nose is weak and it's nothing special to look at but the flavor is outstanding. It's a very impressive, citrus-forward IPA that has drinkability and flavor. Well done Brew Kettle. (911 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice, clear golden amber pour on draft at the Magic Tree. One finger of white head which went to lace quickly... nice lacing throughout, though. Clean citrus nose, bit of pine. Astringent bitter note on the nose. Liked it a lot. Nice balance overall with big bitterness and fresh citrus coming through. Good mouthfeel though oily... hangs around a bit with the nice bitterness. Overall a really nice OH IPA choice! Brew Kettle rocks. (433 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but should be pretty fresh. Pours slightly hazy deep gold color with a 2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of big tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, peach, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, floral, grass, pine, honey, light caramel, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fantastic aromas with awesome complexity of big citrus/tropical/grassy hops with light-moderate malt balance; with great strength. Taste of big tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, peach, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, pine, floral, grass, honey, light caramel, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, peach, lemon zest, orange peel/rind, pine, floral, grass, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic complexity or bright citrus/tropical/grassy hops and light-moderate malt sweetness; with a crisp malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and sticky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is an incredible IPA. All around fantastic complexity of bright citrus/tropical/grassy hops with light-moderate malt balance; and extremely smooth and crisp to drink. An extremely outstanding offering. (1,541 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

I am usually more of a DIPA fan, but I tend to prefer the citrus hop profile so I really enjoy this one. One of my fridge staples.

Huge nose. Tons of citrus and flowery hops in the aroma and in the taste. Grapefruit, lemon, pineapple. Also some orange like sourness. A decent bit of sweetness from the malt to offer some balance. Juicy, bursting with flavors, and easy to drink. Finish is slick and solidly bitter.

For you hop heads, this should be on your hit list. Overall it is an excellent representation of the style for sure. I believe it is not only world class when fresh, but one of the best IPAs out there, The biggest problem with no bottle dating. Even though I have this and Head Hunter scored the same (really is a toss up), I prefer this one bu a hair. Not just for price reasons, but it is just sooooo juicy. (828 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A: Light colored IPA. Two finger retention of white head, lacing is decent but disappears quickly

S: AMAZING! Lots of fruits: orange and grapefruit jump out and a strong pine with light floral.

T: Excellent. Hoppy up front which fades nicely to a smooth drink, hints of grapefruit. All followed by delicious malt!

M: Very very smooth and easy to drink. Goes down really, really quick. Every taste bud gets hit by delicious hoppyness.

O: Great IPA and located in Ohio. Always grabbing a sixer at my local bottle shop! (522 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pretty light colored IPA. Clear, dark gold with a two finger white head. Retention is decent, but fades away as the glass empties. Pretty good looking.

S: Really yummy, strong nose. Lots of tropical fruits (orange and grapefruit jump out) and a strong dollop of pine.

T: Excellent taste. Slightly herbaceous up front. Nice bit of grapefruit and guava after that. Then, there's a kiss of alcohol followed by a nice, sweet, biscuity malt. Ends slightly bitter, but not too bad.

M: Way too smooth and easy drinking. Goes down really, really quick. It coats the mouth very well with all the hoppy goodness.

O: Definitely one of the better IPAs I've had. Unfortunately, however, it seems impossible to get unless you're in northern Ohio. I stocked up when I recently went to Cleveland.... (824 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Holy nose! I took a whiff of this thing right off the pour and it was super resin. Flavor is very much the same. Strong tones of it. Whew! Meaty this beer is (read that in a Yoda voice). Just wads of pine on top of gobs of it. And I like it. Smooth feel. I found Columbus IPA and this one at the same store and felt pretty lucky. In the end, I think this one wins the battle of the Ohio IPA heavyweights. (404 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

With White Rajah, The Brew Kettle has concocted such a wonderfully unique interpretation of the grapefruit/ bitterness characteristics I love so much about the West Coast style IPA that I sense a paradoxical shift in my pallet!
While I've always lived by the adage "More Bitter, More Better" in my endless quest to discover a better beer IBU's have served as my trusty guide.
White Rajah has removed the bitterness to the point that the best description I can come up with is that it's more like a "juicy" grapefruit, yet not to the point that I'd ever say sweet or fruity.
I would also prescribe this beer to everyone whose palate has become stale, although I'm uncertain as to how long this Rx should last? I think I'm developing a White Rajah addiction :-) (761 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a translucent amber gold with a very light head which is gone almost immediately. Head settles into a slight ring around the edge with decent lacing. Floral notes and grapefruit hit the nose first with a bit of caramel malt. Perfect amount of bitterness in the taste with a will balanced malt and hop profile. Grapefruit definitely dominated the taste but isn't overwhelming. Bitterness tingles the palate almost perfectly. No pocket effect. Overall an excellent brew great for the warm weather after some gardening. (526 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz into a tulip.

A: Pours a dark orange with a nice off-white head.

S: Aroma is sticky tangelo, light pine, grapefruit, a bit of pineapple.

T: Taste brings rindish orange, grapefruit zest, a bit of caramel, tangerine.

M: Medium-bodied, creamy.

O: A very good, citrusy IPA. If this was available locally I would buy sixes quite often. (340 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle poured into a goblet

A: Light golden copper; clear; 1-finger head that stuck around for a few minutes and left some light lacing

S: Lots of sweet tropical fruit

T: Very sweet initially, then makes a rough and sudden transition to being very bitter; the aftertaste --or something underneath the initial fruity sweetness -- is moldy, rusty and metallic

M: Texture is fine, but leaves a very unpleasant bitterness on the tongue

O: This one just doesn't do it for me. Something about the sweetness and bitterness is out of whack, at least the way I taste it. And the aftertaste makes me shudder. I'm obviously in the minority on this one, but I've had the same negative reaction each time I've tried White Rajah. (725 characters)

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I started drinking this beer after I opened a Dirtwolf. This is a much more superior beer.

A - Golden, light orange hues.
S - Smells sweet with hints of orange and pine.
T - The taste is desirable and subdued. Hoppy, light citrusy pine taste + grapefruit and goodness.
M - Outstanding mouthfeel. The beer expands inside my mouth. It feels good in there. Great.
O - This is a great all around beer. It is worthy.

I would definitely buy this if it was available in my area. I could easily see myself drinking several of these in one sitting. I like it. (552 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 12 fl. ozs bottle acquired in a trade with mps
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, medium amber color. Shockingly transparent. The liquid was topped by a creamy, three-finger tall, bone white, sea foam crown. Thick, drippy rings of lacing coated the glass.

The aroma was really interesting. Floral hops dominated. Strong honey-like notes. Hints of lavender were noticeable. Sweet, perfumey and fragrant. Candied citrus peel cames through as the beer warmed. Some apricot notes appeared as well. There was a subtle, biscuity malt presence. Overall, very unique.

Although a bit more straightforward, the flavor profile was also excellent. Quite hoppy. The hops were well matched by a biscuit and caramel malt backbone that privided just enough sweetness. Loads of candied orange peel and juicy tangerine notes. Quite peachy. Mango was also detectible. Grapefruit came through on the back end and carried into the moderately dry and bitter finish. Hints of pine were noticeable as well.

The mouthfeel was medium-full bodied. Creamy, smooth and slick on the palate. The liquid contained a super fine, moderate effervescence. Pillowy soft and near perfect for the style.

White Rajah is an amazingly flavorful yet extraordinarily well balanced double IPA. I really wish that I had easier access to this beer. (1,340 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle purchased at Kafe Kerouac in Columbus, OH and drank there.

Pours a clear dark yellow/gold, with a one inch head, and great lacing down the glass.

Smells like citrus zest- some orange, peach, and grapefruit, with some underlying pine.

The taste is incredible. Quite bitter, but pleasantly so. Very fruity hops- orange, apricot, peach, grapefruit, that taste like they are covered in honey and caramel, due to the very light malt backbone. Some dank, earthy pine flavors as well. Finishes long and bitter and dry. No alcohol present.

Medium bodied, starts a little sweet, but not much, then finishes very dry. Crisp mouthfeel, good carbonation.

A classic IPA, one of the best. (686 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%

Grabbed a six pack of this for a beer tasting party.

Pop the top and pour a golden clear beer. Lots of citrus aroma and decent head retention. Nice lacing and medium mouthfeel. Bitterness creeps up on you and finishes with just a hint of sweetness. Tasty all around. (267 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%

Clear golden hue with a nice tight finger high head of white. Average retention and attractive curtains of lacing.

This is tropical and juicy, big tropical and bright floral character reigned by passionfruit, pineapple and mango. Backing of pink citrus and a breezy pine. Sweetness from the malt is candi sugar, light and lightly crystalizing on the hops. I could smell this all day.

Clean bready malt, simple syrup sweetness making way for the hops. Tropical flavor doesn't carry into into the flavor, rather an even balanced trifecta of west coast hop profile awaits with citrus, grass and pine. Through the drink the pine and grassy tones begin to dominate before a lemony zip enters in the finish. Aftertaste is a bright and drying pine.

Medium, easy drinking body, carbonation is calm but adequate allowing the flavors to shine. Alcohol is barely felt and it dries very well.

One of the best IPAs I have had of late. The tropical juicy aroma is captivating, hop flavors are satisfying and the mouthfeel is silky and it releases from the palate perfectly. I need more of these asap. (1,090 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I actually went back to a pub I had been to when I realized they had this and I missed it. The prior night I had Fathead Headhunter and thought that was amazing. Honestly, I think this little IPA topped it! The smell was perfect. Heavy floral and fruits, how I like it. Taste just as great. The smell translated well to the taste and had just enough sweetness and just enough bitterness. Really glad I found this one. Makes my top five IPAs up there with headhunter and jai alai. If you find this one try it and but it. Glad I had to go to Ohio for a wedding to find this. (572 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I think this is one of the best IPAs most people don't know about. Awesome flowery smell. Great mouthfeel, this stuff dances on my tongue. Carbonation is perfect. Great taste, every sip makes me one the next one more.

Great stuff, wish I could get this one all the time. (271 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a huge, white head with great persitence. Nice, bright citrus aroma. Hazy straw color. Starts EXTREMELY bitter with huge notes of grapefruit and citrus rind, with a touch of pine in the back. There is (surprisingly) some malt showing through. The bitterness rapidly drops to create a slightly malty, citrus rind bitterness lingering into the finish.

This isn't too bad. Definitely West Coast styled, which isn't my favorite. I was really surprised by the malt presence here (i.e. detectable) because that's surprising for the style. (539 characters)

White Rajah from The Brew Kettle Taproom & Smokehouse / Production Works