Kalamazoo Urban Assault (K.U.A.) - Paw Paw Brewing Company

Kalamazoo Urban Assault (K.U.A.)Kalamazoo Urban Assault (K.U.A.)

Paw Paw Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: Danielr26 on 11-25-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 34 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by jdb288:
3.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottle from trade with Cbuk1013. Pours light gold with thin white head. Decent lacing and aromatics. Aroma is peanuts, hay, grass.

Earthy, nutty taste with smooth hop bitterness. One of the first I can recall with this peanut component. I may be way off but this was an interesting addition. I prefer this to the Chestnut Ale and some of the pecan-laden beers from previous years. Well done.

2.48/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I am not a fan of this one....in fact im not sure I'll even finish it. The beer poured a nice amber with white head that is leaving a lace. The scent has a lactose like flare with hints of alcohol. The taste it bitter and has a funky after taste. The mouthfeel is medium in body with subtle carbonation. Overall....no way. I might try it again if it was from the tap.

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Paw Paw's K.U.A. Extra Pale Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm in the mood for a Pale Ale today and I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design to it and i think it's a little eye catching. It poured a very cloudy yellow color that took on more of a orange color when held to the light with a finger and half worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, but I wish the color wasn't so cloudy.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up with a citrus rind and lemon like aroma being the first to show up and it's followed by floral and light soapy hop aromas. Up next comes the malts which impart some pale malt and grainy aromas with a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, I liked the lemony hops, but i could go without the soapy aspect.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a low amount of sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and it's the lemony citrus rind hops that stick out the most, with hardly any soapy hops coming through. Up next comes the malts which stick out just a little more than they did in the aroma and they impart the same aspects with a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's a lighter amount of bitterness with a lemony and hoppy aftertaste. This is a decent tasting Extra Pale Ale, but i wish there was a little more bitterness to add some balance.

M- Smooth, slightly refreshing, crisp, a little clean, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was pretty close to being average for the style, it was a little unique I'll give it that, but for an Extra Pale Ale I expect a little extra bitterness and when it came to that aspect this beer left me wanting more. This beer had nice drinkability, I could drink a couple, but I think I would start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer is the mouthfeel, it is pretty nice and it's just about where it should be. What I like least about this beer is that it didn't have some more bitterness to help balance it out. I don't think I would buy this beer again since it isn't really what I look for in an Extra Pale Ale. I can't say I recommend it, but if you like Pale Ales on the light side it might be worth a try. All in all I didn't mind this beer, but in the end I wanted more from it, especially for being called an Extra Pale Ale. It's not a favorite from this brewery and it's average for the style. I appreciate the effort, but this beer could use a little work.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours fairly hazy orange/copper color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, melon, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, melon, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, light pine, caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fair amount of pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, melon, citrus peel, light pine, caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice complexity and robustness of juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate bready malt sweetness; with a nice malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately crisp, and lightly creamy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice American pale ale. All around good complexity, balance, and robustness of juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate bready malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

to view more.