Citra Melon - Paw Paw Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 61 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by BellsFan:
3.43/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Paw Paw Brewing's Citra Melon last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I haven't any beers from this brewery before and I'm interested to see what they are all about, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, it goes good with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a muddy orange brown color that takes on more of a muddy orange color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of bubbly off white that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This isn't a great looking beer, the color is a turn off.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart some nice fruity aromas with a noticeable melon like aroma that's similar to honey dew with the citra hops impart some nice citrus and tropical fruit aromas in the background with just a little bit of green hops. Up next come some doughy yeast that's followed by the malts which impart some, grainy, cereal malts, bready and toasted malts with the cereal malts sticking out the most. This beer has a good aroma, I like the hop profile and the melon like aspects.

T- The taste is a little similar to the aroma, but it's a lighter and it starts off with a lighter amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but they are much lighter with the melon hops still sticking out the most. Up next comes some doughy yeast followed by the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in aroma and they show up the same amount. On the finish it's a little watery with a lower amount of medium bitterness with a slightly hoppy aftertaste with some cereal malts also showing up. This is a decent tasting beer, but I wish the hops showed up more without a watery finish.

M- Smooth, a little clean, crisp, a little watery, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel us nice, but I wish it didn't feel a little watery.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and it was pretty close to be average for the style, the aroma was for sure going in the right direction, but when I got to the taste it just seemed to lack the brightness that the aroma had and that left me wanting more. This beer had ok drinkability, one is my limit, anymore than that and I might start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer is the aroma, it was good and it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it was just a little lighter than it should be and I wish it was more like the aroma. I don't know if I would buy a bottle again, but I would try it on tap to see if it's any different. I can't say I would recommend it, but if you are curious about melon hops it might be worth a try. All in all I didn't hate this beer, but it just seemed liked it fell right in the middle and to me it tasted much more like an average Pale Ale. IT made for an ok first impression for this brewery and it's right around average for style. I appreciate the effort, but I think with a little more work this could be a pretty good beer.

4.27/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Cloudy with a nice white-two finger head

S-Awesome, definitely getting the citra hops but u would swear there is actual fruit in this one. Big time Mellon.

T-Doesn't disappoint from the smell. Citra for sure and the Mellon is just enough for me where it doesn't taste overpowering. If you like the tropical/citrusy hops used in a lot of ipas today then check this one out.

M- appropriate to style. These go down very easy. Refreshing beer for summertime.

O- Great beer. Not for everyone but I'm always up to try new hops. I could see this beer hittin the spot for hopheads, fans of fruit beers, and people that just want an easy drinking beer. Possibly a love it or hate it, but I really enjoyed it.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Pours a dull hazy copper with a two-finger foamy off-white head. Light sticky lacing.

S - Nice aromas off orange, mango, lime, watermelon, and cantaloupe.

T - Follows the aroma with a big dose of citrus and melon upfront. Nice malt sweetness occurs mid-palate. Hops appear in the finish producing a nice floral flavor and some light bitterness.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation. Very crisp and refreshing.

O - This is probably the best session IPA I've had. This is full of citrus flavors. Definetly recommended.

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours lightly hazy burnt orange color with a 2 finger dense and rocky light pink head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice soapy lacing clings down the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of big mango, tangerine, strawberry, honeydew, papaya, peach, lemon/orange peel, floral, grass, honey, bread, and floral earthiness. Very nice aromas with juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt notes; with good strength. Taste of mango, tangerine, strawberry, honeydew, peach, papaya, lemon/orange peel, floral, grass, honey, bread, and floral earthiness. Minimal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of mango, tangerine, strawberry, honeydew, peach, lemon/orange peel, floral, grass, honey, bread, and floral earthiness on the finish for a bit. Nice balance and complexity of juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; with solid robustness and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish as expected of 4.8%. Overall this is a very good session IPA. Good balance and complexity of citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.91/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a pretty ugly color of brown, looks kinda like dirty tap water. Moderate clarity and a small white head.

S- Pretty big melon, much more than I was anticipating. Some citrus is coming through too and a slight metallic roasted note is coming through that is a bit unpleasant.

T- Similar to aroma, tastes is mostly of honeydew melon with some sweet citrus, light bitterness level, the roasted notes coming through aren't that great like in the aroma. Flavors are bigger than many regular strength and even double IPAs I've had.

M- Nice light and refreshing.

O- Very pleasantly surprised by this one. Haven't had too many session IPAs that I've been too impressed by, don't really care for Founders All Day, and this coming from a small brewery like Paw Paw I wasn't expecting such nice bright flavors. This is a perfect summer beer that isn't loaded with artificial citrus flavorings and not an American Wheat or something.

to view more.