South Branch Summer Ale - Paw Paw Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 10 | Reviews: 1
Reviews by PhilMiller:
2.99/5  rDev -8.6%

I picked up a bottle of Paw Paw's South Branch Summer Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. It's been another warm spring day in Michigan and I thought I would give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- It poured a weird brown orange color that took on more of a darker orange color when held to the light and it had a half a fingers worth of bubbly off white head that died down to thin bubbly rind that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This beer was just ok looking, I thought the color was a little weird.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with a toasted malt and cereal malt like aromas with some coriander also showing up. Up next comes a little bit of orange rind aroma that's followed by a weird olive juice aroma that reminds me of black olives. This beer didn't have a good aroma, the black olive aspect was weird and unwanted.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a low amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and it imparts the same toasted malts and cereal malt aspects that seem to be the aromas that stick out the most in this beer with some bready and doughy yeast flavors. Up next comes a noticeable coriander flavor and on the finish there's not bitterness with a little of orange peel showing up and it shoes up a little in the aftertaste, but it's the cereal and toasted malts that stick out the most. This beer tasted ok, but it was pretty unbalanced.

M- Smooth, a little creamy, a little crisp, medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just Ok and I thought it was a very average example of the style, the brewery calls it a Summer Ale and BA says its a Blonde Ale, but to me it tastes more like a Red Ale or Amber Ale, but in the end I still think it's just an average beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, one is enough for me, halfway through the bottle I got bored with it. What I like the most about this beer is the mouthfeel, it was nice and it was the highlight of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is the aroma , it wasn't good and I don't know what was up with the weird black olive aspect. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's just not for me and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it was pretty unbalanced and a little bland and that made it hard for it to hold my attention. It's my least favorite Paw Paw beer and it's average at best for the style. Better luck next time guys, this one could use some work.

to view more.