Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Northern Breweries Red Maple Premium Lager - Northern Breweries Ltd.

Northern Breweries Red Maple Premium Lager

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: TerryW on 02-09-2004

Reviews by stancpa:
4.15/5  rDev n/a

This is my favorite commercial beer. First drank it a few years ago, on my
annual fishing trip to Canada. For a bottle beer it has a great taste.
A number of my buddies now buy this beer on the trip.
This is all I now drink on the fishing trip. Too bad I cannot buy it in the
Detroit area. (293 characters)

2.22/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Globs of taste contained within cheap smelling beer..some head and amberish colour. Some gob to chew over..hmm..very metallic and skunky finish..Not finishable. Minimal malt, thin mouthfeel except of the medium globs. Fizzy carbonation, better to cook with than to drink my dear. (279 characters)

3.07/5  rDev n/a

Light cola in colour with a full finger head on arrival, medium carbonation with a light island lace and full glass ring with cling.
The nose is pleasent, clean, fresh, lightly of cinamon and rye.
The taste unfortunatly does not match up with the nose as it seems thin, lacking real character, more papery than anything else.
The malts do outrank the hops, but for what purpose? (381 characters)

3.58/5  rDev n/a

The 341ML bottle put a beautiful looking reddish dark copper lager in my glass. Nice sand color tight cap with fair retention and lacing on the glass. As soon as I poured the beer a fair aroma of roasty malt was filling the area...up close though, the aroma is more subtle and layered...you get some light spicey sweetness mingling with some herbal-grassy tones...much better than I expected.

The mouth feel is slightly creamy but on the thin side with a fair malt pronouncement defined by light tastey toasty biscuity caramel malt, then the hops show up with that herbal definition characteristic of Hersbrucker and tettnanger varieties..however the edge is taken off these with a spicy maple sort of decernment that is really detectable in the finish.

This is a fair micro lager with many good characteristics and good drinkability but I wish it was a bit firmer in body an not as thin...then again I'm a malt head and think most domestic micros don't have enough malt for my taste. Still, a very tastey and refreshing lager. (1,033 characters)

3.63/5  rDev n/a

Bought this at the Beer Store, because their was nothing else their I wanted to try. It was cheap, and I was expecting a cheap beer. The fact that every other beer I had from this brewery was bad, I was starting to regret my decision when I realised just what I had bought. Then, I opened and poured a bottle. Hmm. I think I like what I bought. Pours a beautiful, vibrant red. Decent head. And sticky. Lots of lace on the glass. The aroma is nice and subtle. Deep malts, sweet maple, and some grassy hops. Mmm, tasty. Sweet maple and malts blend together with a dry, herbal grassiness that creates this pleasant sensation on the palate. Aftertaste has a bit of burnt malts and some english toffee. Mouthfeel is creamy and thick. Definitely will be buying this again. (766 characters)

3.06/5  rDev n/a

Picked up at the Beer Store (yes...just like the one's in Strange Brew) while in St. Catherine's, Ontario.

Appearance: Pours out a lovely clear ruby with an off-white and sudsy head.

Smell: Yeast, wheat bread, red grapes, a hint of brown sugar, and more wheat bread.

Taste: More wheat bread, rye, dark grains, cinnamon, and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a little crispy.

Drinkability: Nothing off but nothing "wow" either. I think I'll save a few of these for some cooler fall days. Glad I tried it but a pretty average beer. (552 characters)

3.21/5  rDev n/a

tried this for the first time earlier this week
great look to the beer, with an inch head on it
head dissipated quickly, but lacing was present throughout the glass
great tasting beer, brewed right here in Sault Ste Marie from all natural and local products...
one of the best products offered by the brewery and I will have it again (337 characters)

3.35/5  rDev n/a

Pours dark coppery red with a one finger head that settles to a ring. Still manages to gives up some lace throughout.

Had a chance to revisit this one after giving it a thumbs down initially (2.85). Must've had an old one (?) to start.

The maple aroma and flavour in the beer is quite distinct. The finish is a noticeable burnt toffee taste. It's interesting, but the finish is a little odd.

Interesting as a novelty beer. (431 characters)

Northern Breweries Red Maple Premium Lager from Northern Breweries Ltd.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.