Zwickel - Urban Chestnut Brewing Company - Midtown Brewery & Biergarten

ZwickelZwickel

Urban Chestnut Brewing Company - Midtown Brewery & Biergarten visit their website
Missouri, United States

Kellerbier / Zwickelbier |  5.20% ABV

Our flagship lager, pronounced ‘zv-ick-el’, is an unfiltered, unpasteurized, German classic that finishes as a smooth-drinking, vitamin rich (from the yeast), naturally cloudy bier.

(Beer added by: Rifugium on 06-20-2011)
1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

I had this for the first time after drinking mass market american lagers so I reserved my opinion until I could taste it on a clean tongue.

Perhaps I had a bad batch here but I find this to be undrinkable swill. It has a thick cloying heavy moutfeel, with an estery and phenolic finish. The more I drink it, the more I dislike it. Tastes like a hot fermented amateur home brew cream ale. The only positive quality is that it has great head.

I'll try it again in the future and change my rating if it's any different, but suffice to say I'm very disappointed.

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

2.86/5  rDev -24.5%

Golden hued with great clarity. Minimal head. Aroma is slightly nutty with a bit of pale malt. Mouthfeel is salty and light. Flavor is strong in terms of light malt and somewhat salty and buttery. There's just something underwhelming here. This is not one of my favorites.

2.95/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served in a tumbler.

Not sure where he got it, but my boy Matt hooked me up with a bottle o' this stuff during our last get-together. It pours a cloudy straw topped by a finger of lightly cream-white foam. The nose comprises cracked wheat, light biscuit, and grass. The taste brings in more of the same, but everything comes through dry, listless, and strangely bitter (that isn't to say that the bitterness was necessarily unexpected, but rather it was unexpectedly expressed). The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, an okay beer, but it just didn't sit too well with me (nor with anyone else present).

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%