1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Winged Nut - Urban Chestnut Brewing Company

Winged NutWinged Nut

good

Urban Chestnut Brewing Company visit their website
Missouri, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

We affectionately refer to the first beer in our Revolution series of modern, American craft beer, as our unusual little bird. It’s a little on the flighty side @ 5.4% ABV, and it’s a little on the wacky side because we brew it with finely milled chestnuts (genus castanea …for you nut freaks), Willamette hops, and we ferment it with a Bavarian Weissbier yeast strain. All of these nuances contribute to its ‘nutty’ personality.

(Beer added by: MusicaleMike on 06-28-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 116 | Reviews: 27 | Show All Ratings:
TheSupremeAJ

4.47/5  rDev +25.2%

On tap at Blue Dog in Lansdale, PA.

Poured a brick color with a think white head. The aroma of the chestnuts was noticeable but not cloying. The taste was very balanced, artisanal and delicious. The chestnuts actually became more noticeable towards the end of the beer. Very balanced and smooth. The "finely milled" chestnuts certainly contribute positively to this ale.

Overall this brew is delicious and unique... I've never quite had anything like it.

06-28-2011 23:47:59 | More by TheSupremeAJ
MusicaleMike

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%

Reviewed this beer during Philly Beer Week.

Finely milled chestnuts are added.

A: Hazy Brown body, with an excellent white head and plenty of sticking power. Looked great in the tulip glass...

S: Very interesting aroma. Picked up on the chestnuts, which complemented the toffee malts and the slight undertone of chocolate. Not much hop aroma, but I'm sure the brewers wanted to bring out the uniqueness of this ingredient. For the style this is perfect!

T: Right up front it is kind of tart, but that I would attribute to the Bavarian Weisse Yeast. By the second or third sip, the tartness fades and you get the full effect of the chestnuts. This isn't overly nutty and grossly sweet like British Nut Brown ales, but more delicate. It doesn't pound you over the head trying to make an impression. The aftertaste is good, and I think this might be one of the smoothest beers i have had this year.

M: Excellent body and active carbonation from the wheat beer yeast. Works perfectly with the style!

D: I think this is a fantastic offering from the Midwest. Really impressed with what I have had from them so far. I would imagine that this would pair well with chocolate cake.

Not in PA for very long, which disappoints me. I hope they bring this one back for next year's Philly Beer Week.

06-28-2011 15:11:10 | More by MusicaleMike