Hegemony Imperial Stout - St. Boniface Craft Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: woodychandler on 02-17-2011

4.32/5  rDev n/a

Pours a thick, dark mahogany, almost black. You can’t see through it. Large tan head that didn’t hang around too long but left lots of lace. Nose of coffee, chocolate, and malt. Thick, almost chewy mouthfeel. Taste at first almost like a chocolate milkshake but then the hops kick in to balance it out. (306 characters)

3.62/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

10 oz straight from a firkin

A-pitch black. No head.

S-no lactose in this? Very sweet, noisy and dark malts.

T- sweet, very sweet, slightly astringent. Dark coffe notes and a bit of milk chocolate

M- thick, slick, and coating. A bit dry on the finish.

O- a bit sweet, but overall quite good. (297 characters)

3.7/5  rDev n/a

The board at the Bull's Head listed this at 8% abv

a: This was a very dark brown and it was served to me with a small dark tan colored head.

s: Reminds me of an imperial milk stout. I smelled sweet milk chocolate and a hint of coffee; not much roast or hops.

m: Again I'm reminded of an imperial milk stout, I swear I taste lactose. I also found lots of milk chocolate sweetness. I wouldn't have minded more roast or bitterness at the end, but this was pretty good regardless.

m: Very creamy overall.

d: Pretty nice stout, I look forward to trying more from these guys. (574 characters)

3.58/5  rDev n/a

A growler at Imminent Liquidation.

A: The stout pours with a steady black darkness. There wasn't much of a head.

S: The nose is roasted, sweet with chocolate. The body isn't as strong as many double stouts; it does, though, have a nice ring to it.

T: The ale strikes me as more of a schwarzbier, roasted and dark but not to the nth degree. Surprisingly, I like the more restrained body of the stout. Chocolate lingers, loiters even, but it never rises to the 'too strong' level. The ale retains a light body throughout, sweetly roasted without a strong hop presence.

M: The mouthfeel is roasted sweet, a chocolatey blend. Hops and thick malts are nowhere to be found, instead I enjoyed to relaxed body.

D: I can't imagine that this stout is too strong. It strikes me as a schwarzbier, rather than a stout or a double stout. (828 characters)

3.97/5  rDev n/a

The initial pour gave me a finger of deep-tan bubbles that quickly faded to wisps. Color was a deep dark-brown allowing zero light penetration. Nose had a dark chocolate richness, like a brownie or a piece of fudge. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, a little on the thin side for the style. I got an initial wash of dark chocolate on the tongue, then I tasted a smoky charcoal quality. Finish had a dusty, cocoa powdery quality initially, then fading off to a smokiness that lingered well past the swallow. This is not one of my favorite styles, but for an initial offering from a new local brewery, they really did themselves proud. I look forward to the releases of their other beers in the future. (696 characters)

Hegemony Imperial Stout from St. Boniface Craft Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.