Porter - Port City Brewing

Port City Brewing visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: AndrewNations on 02-12-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Porter Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
4.82/5  rDev +19%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a dark brown hue with amber highlights. Huge brown, frothy, 3-finger head that slowly dissipates into a solid lace leaving a nice trial down the glass.

S: Strong toasted malt aroma with a solid coffee background. Hints of chocolate malt and caramel in the background.

T: Smooth coffee flavor with a great toasted malt background and caramel mixed in.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Excellent porter! Really smooth with great flavors and aromas. (525 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer was pitch black/motor oil color. Nose reminds me of a good cup of espresso, some dark chocolate, and dark malts. The best thing was the hop character being pronounced. The malt didn't take everything over and leaving the hops as an afterthought. Not too sweet either which is good because I am sensitive to things being advertised as sweet as it would be probably too sweet for me.

some cocoa aftertaste. medium bodied. Good carbonation.

An excellent porter and will definitely have again. (500 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +16.8%

On draft at Union St.
A perfect black with a dark khaki head that just hangs out. Lacing normally found in awesome west coast IPAs
Dark coffee, chocolate on the nose. Potent.
Huge dark chocolate and coffee evenly. A touch of hop to balance and perfect carbonation. Medium full to full bodied.
This is what I want in a porter. I thought I'd had some awesome porters, but this sets a new bar. A must try. (403 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%

I just realized that I live within a mile of this brewery (I'm new to the area) and figured I would give it a try. Picked up a six pack of the porter at Rick's. Pours an opaque black with a thick brown head that slowwwwly drops and leaves plenty of lacing. The smell is roasted coffee and graham cracker with a little bit of vanilla. Definitely has me excited for my first sip. The taste is everything I want out of a porter. Its complex but balanced with a toasted darkness that is warm and welcoming. Finishes slightly bitter. Alcohol is mostly masked except for a little hint at the end that seems to say "aren't I sly." I could easily drink a six pack of this on a cool fall night and promptly fall asleep in my chair. That being said it is currently 99 degrees outside and I am still enjoying this beer. Highly recommended. (828 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with an eighth of a finger of oatmeal-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very roasty and malty. Tons of roasted malt, black pepper, brown sugar and notes of freshly baked pumpernickel bread.

Taste: Delicious! Tons of roasted malt, imparting a slight smokiness, some notes of coffee, brown sugar, and some subtle hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied to slightly chewy, and very smooth, as there is hardly any carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 7.2%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a damn good porter. Nice roasty flavors, balanced with some good sweetness. If you’re a porter fan, you should definitely try it. I’ll certainly keep it as one of my house porters! (892 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.1%

This is my kind of porter! Served on tap at Galaxy Hut. The appearance is something like a very dark milk stout with the lean wispy head and dark watery consistency, which gave me initial reservations, for that style is not my favorite. However, the smell was perfectly dark malty without going to bitter, roasty, and a bit of sweet caramel to match for a very nice nose. The texture in the mouth is nice and mellow with only subtle carbonation which fits the flavor profile well. The flavors are a fulfilling complement to the nose, and this has to be one of the best porters I've had. In fact it is so smooth I actually don't believe the ABV is what's stated (I thought I heard 6.5%) but if it's even that, it's so well contained in the flavors and texture, it's very impressive. The most drinkable porter I've had.

Session beer or nightcap to a whole series of excellent beer, this Porter can do both and I'm eager to try it again. (935 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.1%

Tried this at The Chesapeake House on 8th street in Capitol Hill.

A - Black as oil and twice as nice.

S - The smell was an intense melange of raisins, coffee, chocolate and a touch of alcohol. Maybe a little orange peel.

T - An absolutely delicious Porter, though on the sweet end of the scale. Again, raisins, coffee, chocolate, orange and toffee infuse the mouth with rich flavor.

M -Slightly syrupiness, and mild carbonation conspire to create a substantive brew.

O - When I think Porter I think of the dryer varieties, and this is my preference, but Port City's Porter is so rich and complex that it's hard not to come away impressed. A very enjoyable drink. (667 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Served on tap at brewery, though I've had it elsewhere.

Really nice dark color, with creamy head that lingers for a little bit.

The chocolate and roasted malts really shine on the nose, I could sniff this all day.

Nice mouthfeel, not too heavy, not too light, makes this a highly drinkable porter.

Taste, wow, really nice taste the malts really come through but not overly powerful. I really like Porters and this was one of the best I've had. I was a little skepticle at first as it was a new brewery and local, but I an pleasantly surprised at how well each of their beers are made, all of them are good examples of the styles they are going for. Well done, I'll be back, many times. (691 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Black color. One finger of frothy tan head. Retention is below average, but a short ring of lacing is left nonetheless.

4.5 S: Wow is this powerful. Unyieldingly grainy with equally potent chocolate. Toasty after that. Mild roastiness. Coffee with cream. I love the nose on this. It's both bold and well integrated.

4.5 T: Taste is just as impressive. Again a HUGE graininess. This is certainly the grainiest porter I've ever had and I love it. Lots of chocolate with coffee with cream underneath. Again just a mild roastiness, but it works so well. Sweet, hearty neutral maltiness. Just so good. Love this.

5.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Both creamy and silky smooth. Awesome here.

5.0 D: This is one of those beers that you need to buy lots of random beers to find a hidden gem. This is a hidden gem. I could drink this all damn night. I think SteveFinny sent me this, which means I'm even more indebted to him than I already am. This is a killer beer. Get it, drink it, love it. (1,032 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a bottle purchased at Ned's Rivermont Pizza in Lynchburg, Virginia.

No head, but otherwise a delicious porter. Great flavor and carbonated just right.

I am very impressed from a new brewery that they have produced a quality porter that tastes so good and enjoyable from start to finish. (301 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

Purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - poured into dfh snifter

This beer is damn near perfect. Pours a deep dark brown with minimal light edges, dense head with perfect lacing. Smells of brown sugar and molasses with toasty chocolate. Tastes beautifully bitter for an am porter with a dry finish.

This is a beer that you should trade for if you can't get it wherever you are.. I intend on visiting this brewery.. soon! (451 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

#BOTG 79!

Poured from bottle into JK Farmhouse glass. Wrong glassware I assume, but I had something farmhouse worthy earlier and I don't feel like dirtying up another glass. Pours a nice espresso brown color, a little head at the top of the glass. Smell- light cocoa, coffee beans. Not much more here. Taste- wow. Really nice. Smooth milk chocolate, toffee, caramel, espresso, and cocoa. I was not expecting this to be a stand out brew, and it is. Super yummy, complex, and well integrated. For 7% ABV, there is no apparent booze, and the mouthfeel is just right. This is a real winner, and I had never heard of it. Hopefully my Astros quit getting their asses kicked and I can enjoy this brew with a win tonight. (714 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

Any darker brown and you'd have black. Thick finger of tan head with little retention. Spotty lace.

Dark chocolate, freshly ground coffee. Dark fruits: cherries and overripe plum. Excellent.

Lots of dark chocolate and the aforementioned fruits. Smooth but with a nice tang at the end. Just enough hop bitterness to keep everything from being sweet, but there is no real bite.

Full bodied and super smooth. Low carbonation to keep it that way.

Damn fine robust porter. I may have a new homer favorite. (504 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

This is a fantastic robust porter - it drinks a bit like an imperial stout without being as rich or strong, but being rather close to that.

I like the seamless chocolate/coffee aromas and flavors - great to braise beef in, pour in a pot of chili, sip with a sweater and book by a winter fire, or have with a grilled hamburger.

It's amazing they could get this so right and yet get the IPA and Pale Ale so wrong. Let's hope the wit beer keeps their books balanced because I don't see the other three doing it. (510 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on draft to compliment a bacon infused burger.

Poured a hearty dark brown with a lighter brown head (it was dark outside for what it's worth). Looked like a delicious "desert" beer.

The smell was mild, hints of chocolate and coffee were present but not strong.

The flavors present in the taste were much stronger than the small. Chocolate, coffee, malts, possible espresso all mixed together for an amazing beer. I wanted to savor every sip of this delicious beer (knowing it was the only one I'd have), but I could not drink it slow enough.

The feel was nice. Medium viscosity, low carbonation made for a velvety smooth feel which complimented the taste.

I'd put this in my top five beers. I'm a huge porter fan and this would replace my go-to if I could find where I live. (789 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

12 oz bottle Poured into a Sam Adams pub glass.

A: black dark Sacloth that repels all light.

S: dark plum. Dark roast Colombian coffee. Burnt twig. Brown sugar.

T: dark chocolate Malts. Raisin, plum, 90 Percent cocoa, Colombian dark roast coffee and Graham cracker.

M: smooth. Perfect carbonation and mouthful for a porter.

O: this beer really shines through as a perfect example our a a super solid Porter. Alexandria you just shocked me. Time to visit the brewery. Enjoy (478 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

very deep dark brown, small tan colored head, not a lot of lace, pretty clear

SCaramel and chocolate predomintaly, with a touch of roasted coffe and an ever so slight hoppy back. Very nice, lots of caramel and roasted malts, with a nice hoppy back. Dry finish. Lots of sugar, very good. Uber smooth, a very good feeling porter. Not too thick, just about right to be totally sessionable. I thought the decent carbonation played a good roll here

Great, a very sessionable porter. Not heavy enough to distract you or bog you down, I could put down six of these with some ease. (575 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +8.9%

Porter being my favorite style, I was anticipating this one as it is brewed locally - and, of course, I am always seeking out new ones to try.

It pours out a quick head that dissipates into a translucent foam atop a foreboding body of molasses colored goodness. From the bottle, which this reveiw is based - though I did enjoy one on tap soon thereafter, there emanates sweet notes of brown sugar and (obviously) molasses. Nice, but not the strong point, here. The taste, therein lies the rub; it consists of a yummy blast of cocoa, dark chocolate and chewy malt, all of which soaks into the tongue. There is a beautiful coda of balanced chewiness with a subtle bittersweet fade. If you see it, get it. If you love porters, thank me. Cheers! (742 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a dark brown/almost black color with a thin, fluffy tan head that dissipates to almost nothing and minimal lacing.

S - Dark roasted malts; coffee, chocolate, rich earthy notes.

T - A nice blend of coffee and chocolate malts; a very rich and rewarding taste. Nothing complex, but very enjoyable.

M - Slightly heavier than medium bodied, pretty smooth and drinkable. A little creamy.

O - Port City's Porter is an extremely well-done and solid brew. It's a fantastic example of the porter style and Port City's best year-round beer. (543 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2/10/13 Port City Brewing Company | Porter | Growler

Appearance- Deep deep brown, not quite black, tan lacy head, completely opaque

Aroma- Chocolate is most pronounced, roasted coffee, toasty, slight hazlenut, nutty, earthy

Mouthfeel- moderate-high CO2, pretty smooth, well balanced, warming alcohol

Taste- Very tasty! Chocolate upfront that turns into a malty / roasted barley center. Finish is bittersweet chocolate, maybe a little burnt coffee?

Residual- bittersweet chocolate lingers, not coating or drying, pleasant aftertaste

Overall- I’m a fan of this beer. It’s a malty and robust porter, really enjoyable during the winter months. Easily my favorite offering from Port City (693 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a very dark brown almost black colour with a small tan colour head.

The smell is chocolate and sweet malts.

The taste is smooth chocolatey and malty with a slightly bitter after taste.

The mouth feel is medium with very light carbonation. Feels creamy and smooth.

Overall a very nice porter not particularly complex but great tasting. Hides it's abv very well, was surprised to see it was 7.5%. (405 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Had this at Fireflies in Del Ray.
A: poured very dark, minimal head, decent lacing
S: strong, "meaty", some chocolate in there.
T: I enjoyed this thoroughly, both by itself and with a meal. Lots of flavors going on here but it really works. Some bitterness at the end. Didn't really taste the alcohol here.
M: very smooth but also substantial
O: this is the best of the Port City beers. I will be drinking this again and again. (427 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Dark brown in color, this porter offers a nose of roasted malt, alcohol, chocolate, nuts, sugar, and spice. The tan- colored foam maintains its presence for a while as you consume, leaves some lace, and it helps make for a positive initial impression.

This porter has a complex flavor profile that combines roasted malt, chocolate, some dark fruit, light coffee, alcohol, and spice. Some earthy notes and a slight bitter edge in the finish combine to make the tasting experience complete and memorable.

Port City Porter is a solid, tasty porter that would be good consumed all by itself or with a rich, nutty dessert. Its medium to full body is just about right and the beer is quite filling- a few bottles is like consuming a meal. I tried this at a restaurant while on vacation, so I will have to look for this one again in local stores. I hope I can find it, because I consider it a very good example of its style. (921 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

12oz bottle sent as an extra by Thorpe429...thanks!

Beautiful pour--Port City's Porter fills the Foothills pint glass with a deep mocha brown body. A towering taupe head steadily builds to a finger's height before slowly settling to a hefty cap of foam. Solid aroma, too, with lots of earthy roast, chocolate, and coffee from the malts. Yeast throws off a hint of dark berry sweetness that balances the malt profile well.

Big body to this porter, with lots of complexity hitting the palate in the form of dark chocolate, charred malts, and liqueur-like booziness. Rich, yet smooth and quite drinkable at the same time. Mouthfeel is delicate in carbonation with a medium-full body. This beer easily rides the middle ground between the porter style and its imperial counterparts. Highly recommended! (799 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at Ella's Pizza in Washington DC. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Grand entrance into the glass with a symphony of CO2 bubbles harmoniously yet chaotically rising to where the beer meets the sky soon forming a friendship of evenly distributed off-white cream.

Smell: Chocolate and coffee greet the nostrils on the initial sniff not leaving much to the imagination.

Taste: Pleasant blend of sweet malt succulence and slight hop presence that will tickle your innards.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and a bit of pleasant alcohol soothes the days strifes.

One of the best porters I've had to date. I enjoyed that this beer was on the upper end of the sweetness meter and hops weren't allowed to drop their trench and go streaking across my palate. Definitely wasn't expecting enjoying the beer this much and would absolutely recommend. Will be visiting the brewery soon. (876 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last