Porter - Port City Brewing

rAvg: 4
Port City Brewing visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Porter |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: AndrewNations on 02-12-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Porter Alström Bros

cmdQ, Mar 04, 2014

navin, Jun 05, 2013

tdatt43, Apr 28, 2013

Amyliz4, Dec 14, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a dark brown hue with amber highlights. Huge brown, frothy, 3-finger head that slowly dissipates into a solid lace leaving a nice trial down the glass.

S: Strong toasted malt aroma with a solid coffee background. Hints of chocolate malt and caramel in the background.

T: Smooth coffee flavor with a great toasted malt background and caramel mixed in.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Excellent porter! Really smooth with great flavors and aromas.

ckollias, May 30, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +20%

The beer was pitch black/motor oil color. Nose reminds me of a good cup of espresso, some dark chocolate, and dark malts. The best thing was the hop character being pronounced. The malt didn't take everything over and leaving the hops as an afterthought. Not too sweet either which is good because I am sensitive to things being advertised as sweet as it would be probably too sweet for me.

some cocoa aftertaste. medium bodied. Good carbonation.

An excellent porter and will definitely have again.

Mises85, Aug 11, 2013

whitecluster69, Apr 06, 2012

Flyboyman, Aug 05, 2012

Novabrewer, May 22, 2013

Nitty703, Aug 06, 2013

alexrich82, Mar 27, 2012

On draft at Union St.
A perfect black with a dark khaki head that just hangs out. Lacing normally found in awesome west coast IPAs
Dark coffee, chocolate on the nose. Potent.
Huge dark chocolate and coffee evenly. A touch of hop to balance and perfect carbonation. Medium full to full bodied.
This is what I want in a porter. I thought I'd had some awesome porters, but this sets a new bar. A must try.

dbmernin83, Mar 08, 2012

ilkelma, Oct 25, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

I just realized that I live within a mile of this brewery (I'm new to the area) and figured I would give it a try. Picked up a six pack of the porter at Rick's. Pours an opaque black with a thick brown head that slowwwwly drops and leaves plenty of lacing. The smell is roasted coffee and graham cracker with a little bit of vanilla. Definitely has me excited for my first sip. The taste is everything I want out of a porter. Its complex but balanced with a toasted darkness that is warm and welcoming. Finishes slightly bitter. Alcohol is mostly masked except for a little hint at the end that seems to say "aren't I sly." I could easily drink a six pack of this on a cool fall night and promptly fall asleep in my chair. That being said it is currently 99 degrees outside and I am still enjoying this beer. Highly recommended.

Godot, Jul 12, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

This is my kind of porter! Served on tap at Galaxy Hut. The appearance is something like a very dark milk stout with the lean wispy head and dark watery consistency, which gave me initial reservations, for that style is not my favorite. However, the smell was perfectly dark malty without going to bitter, roasty, and a bit of sweet caramel to match for a very nice nose. The texture in the mouth is nice and mellow with only subtle carbonation which fits the flavor profile well. The flavors are a fulfilling complement to the nose, and this has to be one of the best porters I've had. In fact it is so smooth I actually don't believe the ABV is what's stated (I thought I heard 6.5%) but if it's even that, it's so well contained in the flavors and texture, it's very impressive. The most drinkable porter I've had.

Session beer or nightcap to a whole series of excellent beer, this Porter can do both and I'm eager to try it again.

willPS21, Mar 09, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Tried this at The Chesapeake House on 8th street in Capitol Hill.

A - Black as oil and twice as nice.

S - The smell was an intense melange of raisins, coffee, chocolate and a touch of alcohol. Maybe a little orange peel.

T - An absolutely delicious Porter, though on the sweet end of the scale. Again, raisins, coffee, chocolate, orange and toffee infuse the mouth with rich flavor.

M -Slightly syrupiness, and mild carbonation conspire to create a substantive brew.

O - When I think Porter I think of the dryer varieties, and this is my preference, but Port City's Porter is so rich and complex that it's hard not to come away impressed. A very enjoyable drink.

BurpingtonDC, Jun 14, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a bottle purchased at Ned's Rivermont Pizza in Lynchburg, Virginia.

No head, but otherwise a delicious porter. Great flavor and carbonated just right.

I am very impressed from a new brewery that they have produced a quality porter that tastes so good and enjoyable from start to finish.

Metuo, Apr 10, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +15%

#BOTG 79!

Poured from bottle into JK Farmhouse glass. Wrong glassware I assume, but I had something farmhouse worthy earlier and I don't feel like dirtying up another glass. Pours a nice espresso brown color, a little head at the top of the glass. Smell- light cocoa, coffee beans. Not much more here. Taste- wow. Really nice. Smooth milk chocolate, toffee, caramel, espresso, and cocoa. I was not expecting this to be a stand out brew, and it is. Super yummy, complex, and well integrated. For 7% ABV, there is no apparent booze, and the mouthfeel is just right. This is a real winner, and I had never heard of it. Hopefully my Astros quit getting their asses kicked and I can enjoy this brew with a win tonight.

lnashsig, Jul 02, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +15%

Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Black color. One finger of frothy tan head. Retention is below average, but a short ring of lacing is left nonetheless.

4.5 S: Wow is this powerful. Unyieldingly grainy with equally potent chocolate. Toasty after that. Mild roastiness. Coffee with cream. I love the nose on this. It's both bold and well integrated.

4.5 T: Taste is just as impressive. Again a HUGE graininess. This is certainly the grainiest porter I've ever had and I love it. Lots of chocolate with coffee with cream underneath. Again just a mild roastiness, but it works so well. Sweet, hearty neutral maltiness. Just so good. Love this.

5.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Both creamy and silky smooth. Awesome here.

5.0 D: This is one of those beers that you need to buy lots of random beers to find a hidden gem. This is a hidden gem. I could drink this all damn night. I think SteveFinny sent me this, which means I'm even more indebted to him than I already am. This is a killer beer. Get it, drink it, love it.

DavoleBomb, Aug 22, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

Purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - poured into dfh snifter

This beer is damn near perfect. Pours a deep dark brown with minimal light edges, dense head with perfect lacing. Smells of brown sugar and molasses with toasty chocolate. Tastes beautifully bitter for an am porter with a dry finish.

This is a beer that you should trade for if you can't get it wherever you are.. I intend on visiting this brewery.. soon!

engagechad, Jul 08, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +14.5%

Served on tap at brewery, though I've had it elsewhere.

Really nice dark color, with creamy head that lingers for a little bit.

The chocolate and roasted malts really shine on the nose, I could sniff this all day.

Nice mouthfeel, not too heavy, not too light, makes this a highly drinkable porter.

Taste, wow, really nice taste the malts really come through but not overly powerful. I really like Porters and this was one of the best I've had. I was a little skepticle at first as it was a new brewery and local, but I an pleasantly surprised at how well each of their beers are made, all of them are good examples of the styles they are going for. Well done, I'll be back, many times.

dhartogs, Sep 25, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

Any darker brown and you'd have black. Thick finger of tan head with little retention. Spotty lace.

Dark chocolate, freshly ground coffee. Dark fruits: cherries and overripe plum. Excellent.

Lots of dark chocolate and the aforementioned fruits. Smooth but with a nice tang at the end. Just enough hop bitterness to keep everything from being sweet, but there is no real bite.

Full bodied and super smooth. Low carbonation to keep it that way.

Damn fine robust porter. I may have a new homer favorite.

MrOH, Jun 15, 2011