2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Colossal Two - Port City Brewing

Colossal Two
No picture uploaded.

Port City Brewing visit their website
Virginia, United States

Smoked Beer |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 02-04-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 20 | Reviews: 5 | Show All Ratings:
jayfro70

4.26/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in a tasting sized sample at the brewery.

A: Appearance was a little darker than I was expecting. Coffee colored brown. Not much head.
S: Not getting much of a smokey smell at all. I was expecting this to be heavier on smoke.
T: The taste follows the smell. The smoke taste is very slight, but still a nice beer. This would probably appeal to drinkers who have tried Smoked Beers in the past and thought they were too bacony or smokey.
M: Smooth and easy to drink. Pretty much what I was expecting in a smoked beer. Very easy to drink.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. I'm a fan of smoked beers, and typically I think the smokier the beer, the better, but this one stands tall with a very subtle smokiness.

08-29-2013 17:09:35 | More by jayfro70
jfmorey

3.85/5  rDev -7%

A pint glass on tap at Whole Foods in Vienna

Very dark brown with a tan head, good lacing

The taste is more woody than smokey, and given the high alcohol, well balanced. More similar to an imperial porter than smoked.

Mouthfeel is a bit light.

Very good overall but not true to the style.

03-04-2013 21:26:28 | More by jfmorey
TheFunGuy

4.04/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I had this in the tasting room, served in a 10oz snifter. It was poured very black with a tan head that faded slowly, to the point I took the first sip through the head.

The smell is thick malt, roast, and some hop.

The taste meets the smell, with less smoke than I expected. An aggressive stout, but mild on the smoke. Because of this, you can drink quicker than you usually can with this style.

I spent some time in Bamberg, where they really like their smoked beer, and this is on the very mild side of that type of beer.

At first I as disappointed, but having thought about it this is a great marketing beer and way to introduce people to the style.

02-09-2013 19:32:16 | More by TheFunGuy
2dogbrew

4.66/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I was lucky to try this 2nd anniversary beer from Port City before the keg was kicked. Wow, what a great beer. This is a Smoked Imperial Porter. More of an Imperial Porter with smoked malts than a smoked beer, in my opinion.

Appearance - reminds me of their porter, which I think is a great beer. Near black color, tan head.

Smell - excellent roasted character with just the right amount of smoke. Hops come through but not overly pronounced.

Taste - couldn't have been better. I am not a big fan of smoked beers, this beer had a good level of smokiness which blended perfectly with the roasted malts. Tastes like a bigger version of their porter with smoked malts added.

Overall - just a solid beer. Glad to have had the chance to try it. Will definitely seek this out!

02-08-2013 00:14:59 | More by 2dogbrew
Thorpe429

2.73/5  rDev -34.1%

On tap at Rustico in Alexandria. Served in a snifter. Pours near black. Nose is far too smokey and meaty. Smoked herring. Some roast underneath. Flavor is similar, but more intense on the smoke. A bit more background beer as it warms, but I just couldn’t get into this one.

02-04-2013 15:28:45 | More by Thorpe429