Colossal Two - Port City Brewing

to view more.
Ratings: 52 | Reviews: 8
4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Very smoky

Probably one of Port City's best beers but not one for everyone. Body is black with minimal head like a porter/stout but blindfolded this could've been a rauchbier for all I knew b/c it smells so smoky and meaty, probably a touch of sweet malt gives it away. I really like the smokiness/gaminess of beer (and I don't eat meat at all, mind you) which is heavy on tongue but completely overpowering. This allows for a mellow balance that gives off just enough sweetness to counter the "meat" flavor without compromising the smoke aspects of the beer. An enjoyable beer that nicely blends two different styles.

4.46/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes in a dark brown black color.

The aroma has licorice, bitter chocolate, coffee, heavy caramel, roasted malt, and earthy hops.

The flavor follows of licorice, molasses, chocolate. The beer has a chewy mouthfeel with roasted coffee on the finish. There's a bacon and woody bitter quality throughout.

An extremely well done imperial stout.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in a tasting sized sample at the brewery.

A: Appearance was a little darker than I was expecting. Coffee colored brown. Not much head.
S: Not getting much of a smokey smell at all. I was expecting this to be heavier on smoke.
T: The taste follows the smell. The smoke taste is very slight, but still a nice beer. This would probably appeal to drinkers who have tried Smoked Beers in the past and thought they were too bacony or smokey.
M: Smooth and easy to drink. Pretty much what I was expecting in a smoked beer. Very easy to drink.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. I'm a fan of smoked beers, and typically I think the smokier the beer, the better, but this one stands tall with a very subtle smokiness.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

A pint glass on tap at Whole Foods in Vienna

Very dark brown with a tan head, good lacing

The taste is more woody than smokey, and given the high alcohol, well balanced. More similar to an imperial porter than smoked.

Mouthfeel is a bit light.

Very good overall but not true to the style.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I had this in the tasting room, served in a 10oz snifter. It was poured very black with a tan head that faded slowly, to the point I took the first sip through the head.

The smell is thick malt, roast, and some hop.

The taste meets the smell, with less smoke than I expected. An aggressive stout, but mild on the smoke. Because of this, you can drink quicker than you usually can with this style.

I spent some time in Bamberg, where they really like their smoked beer, and this is on the very mild side of that type of beer.

At first I as disappointed, but having thought about it this is a great marketing beer and way to introduce people to the style.

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I was lucky to try this 2nd anniversary beer from Port City before the keg was kicked. Wow, what a great beer. This is a Smoked Imperial Porter. More of an Imperial Porter with smoked malts than a smoked beer, in my opinion.

Appearance - reminds me of their porter, which I think is a great beer. Near black color, tan head.

Smell - excellent roasted character with just the right amount of smoke. Hops come through but not overly pronounced.

Taste - couldn't have been better. I am not a big fan of smoked beers, this beer had a good level of smokiness which blended perfectly with the roasted malts. Tastes like a bigger version of their porter with smoked malts added.

Overall - just a solid beer. Glad to have had the chance to try it. Will definitely seek this out!

2.76/5  rDev -30.8%

On tap at Rustico in Alexandria. Served in a snifter. Pours near black. Nose is far too smokey and meaty. Smoked herring. Some roast underneath. Flavor is similar, but more intense on the smoke. A bit more background beer as it warms, but I just couldn’t get into this one.

to view more.