Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%) - Small Town Brewery

Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%)
No picture.

Small Town Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-29-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.89/5  rDev -10.8%

It is hard too review this as a beer, since it smells, tastes, and feels just like root beer. I enjoyed it. Pours like a dark root beer, and has the carmel smell. Taste like root beer. I might try to make a float out of it. Skol! (229 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

On tap at World of Beer - Naperville, IL
A - dark brown-mahogany body with zero head
S - root beer
T - tastes like root beer initially; vanilla and spicy, very sweet, but the spices ride out the finish a bit more than I'd like. It's a bit odd; it might be the heavy alcohol with the spices combination that's not working for me
M - full body, lower carbonation, spicy finish
O - overly sweet, very boozy, not particularly what I want to drink when I want a beer. It is good for what it is, but I doubt I'd get it again. (520 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +2.3%

On tap at some dinner by Wrigley Field. Came in a 12 ounce root beer mug. Sweet sticky, not much alcohol presence. This is much better than the 5.7% version. Might be the best tasting root beer I've had. (203 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Much better than the 5.9%... If it wasn't so strong, I'd have no problem drinking 5 or 6 of these. Still just a slight bit more sugary than the 19% abv. (153 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

O: I am amazed at the marvel that is Small Town brewing, that they can put out this root beer in different ABV level, and it all taste the same, except the higher you go the faster you crash... believe me, I found this out personally (233 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -22.9%

I have severely mixed feelings about this beverage. It's delicious. It certainly tastes just like root beer. But, perhaps too much so. To be honest, it tastes like they brewed the most flavorless beer possible, then just added root beer syrup to it. Or as they admit on the label "vanilla extract, natural and artificial flavors, and caramel coloring".

I'm not opposed to brewing with adjuncts, but this might as well just be a can of soda with a shot of vodka added. And, yes, I'm dinging it on appearance for using artificial coloring. (542 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Growing up I remeber drinking Dads rootbeer with my dad. It was our root beer of choice at home. So naturally even the name not your fathers root beer had me. Then the taste. Incredible. Taste just like the best root beer you've ever had (similar to the tastes of dads) lots of spices and bite and has a great ale after taste that is incredibly smooth on the palate! If you like root beer you will love this beer! (413 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -10.6%

Tastes and smells so much like root beer and cannot even taste the alcohol. It's great in small portions but it is cloying. I couldn't finish my 10oz pour because it started to get too sweet. Definitely worth trying. (216 characters)

Look - it looks like syrupy root beer
Smell - it smells like syrupy root beer
Taste - it tastes like syrupy root beer from a fountain that is malfunctioning and only pouring the syrupy shit into your glass.
Feel - it feels like I should turn around after getting a bad soda at Wendys and pour it over the head of the 16 year old punk with bad tattoos and a nose-ring that connects his nostril to his earlobe with a chain that looks like a long string of snot who served it to me.
Overall - shitty. (497 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An alcoholic root beer-beer at 10% ABV you say? I had heard about this from a colleague at work who raved about it to me. Saw it on tap and had to try for myself. Draft pour into snifter. Pours dark brown/black, with a cola hue and very light carbonation present. Great presence of vanilla and toasted oak. The booziness only becomes more apparent when this one warms up, otherwise it is soda pop all the way. A unique tasting experience and one to definitely snap up if you see it in your area. (495 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured and split amongst family

brown in appearance, slightly opaque, minimal head on this guy

Smells just like rootbeer would out of a can, nothing really more to it to explain. Alcoholic Rootbeer

Taste follows the nose here straight up root beer. Maybe a little more syrupy than I would like but really easy to drink. Root beer floats all day

Feel is just a little thicker than the 6%

O - Delicious (405 characters)

Next time I'll just buy regular root beer...there's no difference.

It tastes good but there's absolutely nothing remarkable about it. Yeah, its10% ABV...so in high school, this would have been "deadly". ;) (210 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -6%

People either love or hate this. Small town accomplished exactly what they set out to do, brew the very best root beer flavored strong ale. It is easily the best root beer brew I've ever had. It is very very sweet, but packed with real root beer flavor, very easy to forget what you're drinking. I prefer the 10% abv(tap only) version over the 5.9% version. (359 characters)

I tried this beer at a festival in Wauconda, Illinois . This taste was unexpected, for sure. A very rich and flavorful root beer with only a minor hint I was drinking an alcoholic drink. I enjoyed several glasses and the taste never dulled. I would recommend this beer to anyone that enjoys a home made style root beer. (323 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

This is a short review because there's not really much you can say! This beer tastes incredibly close to root beer. It's sweet and syrupy and spicy and filled with herbs. I have no idea how they made it - did they mix grain alcohol into a keg of Barq's? Maybe! I don't care. It's great. Do you like root beer? You will like this beverage. If you think that regular (non-diet, that is) root beer is too sweet, then you should not even bother trying this. (453 characters)

I was in Chicago last week for some training for work. Me and my co-workers stopped by Harry Caray's 7th Inning Stretch restaurant and I saw, "Not Your Father's Root Beer" on the menu and decided to give it a try. I was glad I ordered a glass of it! This brew is incredibly tasty. The version I was served was the 10% ABV. Like several of the other reviews have stated, you do not taste the alcohol at all. The flavor is a delicious creamy/sweet root beer flavor. The root beer flavor reminded me of a freshly poured A&W root beer served at the root beer stand. This is in contrast to say a flavor like a Barq's or MUG root beer. The creaminess and hints of vanilla come through slightly at the finish. I highly recommend trying this excellent beer if you get the chance. Looking at the Small Town Brewery's website, it appears that it is only available in Illinois. With me being in Ohio, I am hoping to find a local place that can order some for me. Small Town Brewery really should consider a wider distribution than just within Illinois. I am sure it would be a big success wherever it is sold. (1,113 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +14.4%

Can not give anything a perfect score because there is always room for improvement but this beer is exactly what u think it is 10% abv and tastes just like Root Beer! It is really sweet with strong sarsaparilla and vanilla. you have to remind people that there is alcohol in it. (279 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -14%

Had this on tap in Chicago last spring. Incredible root beer flavor-couldn't tell it was anything other than root beer. Very sweet, and a heavy hitter if you're not careful. (173 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Going to echo Trifecta1 here, except to add that this looks, smells, and tastes like a VERY GOOD root beer, i.e., without the cloying sweetness of HFCS. Inviting spicy aromas of vanilla, sarsparilla. Taste follows. I took my time to finish my $3 PINT, but this is easily crushable. May look thin, but very creamy. (313 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep brown. Medium khaki head. Thin collar.

Smell - Smells like root beer. Lots of sugar. Vanilla. Has a vanilla extract aroma.

Taste - Sweet. Lots of spices. It's root beer. A little malty in the back. Lots and lots of vanilla.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - It's loaded with vanilla. It's just root beer with alcohol. Way too sweet for me. (425 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

It's premium root beer. Looks like root beer, smells like root beer, feels like root beer, tastes like root beer. Alcohol is well hidden. Any qualities that resemble beer are hidden. How they brewed this beast is a mystery, but it is tasty, and no one can deny that. (266 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had this beer almost every time I go to WOB. It is a beer that you can enjoy and try to pick up on all the tastes, or it is a beer that you can slam and will taste great either way.

A- Has that dark brown, almost motor oil color.

S- There is a sweet root beer aroma that this delectable beer leaves in your nose. This beer has a tan head that lingers for a while.

T- This beer is heaven in your mouth. I see that there is a picture of the beer in a bottle, but I haven't been able to find this beer anywhere, bottled (I know they were going through the process of obtaining a bottling permit, not sure if they obtained it or not). It tastes of a home made root beer that you can only find in diners down south.

M- This beer has a sticky feel to it, each and every drop sticks to your tongue and leaves behind an amazing root beer taste.

O- This beer is definitely one of my favorites. Now that I have seen a picture of a bottle of it on BA, I am determined to find it and stock my fridge with it! If you can find this beer in bottles or (if you can purchase) a keg, buy it, you won't be disappointed (that is if you like root beer). (1,145 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Pints in Elmhurst. Served in a 9 oz snifter.

The beer is a mahogany-brown with a skim of off-white foam.

This smells like root beer. A bit of anise, liquorish and brown sugar. If I smelled it blind, I would never guess this is a beer.

The taste is like a very high-end artisanal soda. The root beer elements are extremely prominent and tasty. For a 10% beer there is virtually no alcohol heat. There is sassafras, vanilla and hint of toffee. This one could definitely sneak up on you. One of our group hardly ever drinks beer but liked this one so much she had two.

Mouth is pleasantly thickish with nice carbonation.

I could see this one as great dessert beer. In talking to the manager, he said this is one of their top five sellers which surprised me given their great tap choices but upon drinking it, I can now see why. Well Done! (854 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lucky to try this at a tasting event in Memphis. I will simply echo what reviewers have said...this is ridiculous. I cannot believe this is 10% abv, I can't even believe its alcoholic. It tastes like really good craft root beer. Really sweet, not heavily carbonated. Wish I could buy this all the time, it's one of the most surprising beers I've ever tasted. Bravo. (365 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. I acquired this new oddity at the local beer store about a month or so ago and have been holding it down. My first encounter with this beer and this brewery. "Brewed by: Timothy A. Kovac and John J. Dopak, Wauconda IL 60084 for Small Town Brewery, LLC". Expectations are pretty high based on the hype surrounding this beer and it's current high ratings. My bottle lists a 10.00% abv.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Naturally, it pours a dark cola brown; nearly opaque in the glass. About one to two fingers of foamy khaki head that leaves nice spotty lacing. It looks very good.

S - Wow, the hype is real- this thing smells like a straight up can of root beer poured into a glass. Caramel, vanilla, sugar, & some noticeable carbonation / mustiness.

T - Wow, again. Like the others have said, there isn't a trace of the high 10.00% abv noticeable. This thing doesn't even really taste like a 'beer' at all, more like just a straight up alcoholic root beer. Caramel, vanilla, sugar, & carbonation. A dash of cinnamon / ginger / other spices are noticeable also.

M - Feel is smooth and creamy. Sugary & sticky. Mildly syrupy. Light-bodied with good carb.

Overall, it's delicious. The beer itself isn't very complex, but there is no denying that it tastes like a regular fresh delicious root beer soda. I have never made a float before, but this one would be a more than ideal contender. An extremely unique and delicious beer drinking experience. I'm very curious as to how this is brewed and spiced, and I look forward to trying more from Small Town Brewery.

Small Town Brewery Not Your Father's Root Beer ---4/5. (1,685 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast