Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%) - Small Town Brewery

Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%)Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%)

Small Town Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-29-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 460 | Reviews: 65
2.64/5  rDev -40.4%

I was really looking forward to trying this, but I have to admit I am disappointed now that I have. In my opinion at least this is a beer for people who don't really like beer at all just in the regard that it does not have any discernible beer taste that I can detect. if I was blindfolded, given this drink and asked to guess what it was I would have went with a really mediocre root beer soda. It does taste like root beer, I will give it that, but it also has a really sharp, bitter aftertaste. Almost tastes slightly like cough drop syrup. If you like things really sweet then it migh be for you though. Just not my cup of tea...ahem....beer I should say

4.46/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at some dinner by Wrigley Field. Came in a 12 ounce root beer mug. Sweet sticky, not much alcohol presence. This is much better than the 5.7% version. Might be the best tasting root beer I've had.

Wow pours just like a root beer. Same fizz same smell. Alright could have fooled me. Tastes like root beer. Amazing.

4.41/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

so much better than the 5.9% version.

4.01/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Very unique type of beer. This may be a beer that's an acquired taste.

3.5/5  rDev -21%

I could taste the booze, which for me made it less enjoyable than the 5.9%. Still amazing in that you would never guess that it is 10%.

Recently was in Chicago had this with lunch just before a Cubs game very Dangerous, taste like a delicious Root beer! Oh yeah it's 10%

4.06/5  rDev -8.4%

I liked the 5% one better.

4.83/5  rDev +9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Much better than the 5.9%... If it wasn't so strong, I'd have no problem drinking 5 or 6 of these. Still just a slight bit more sugary than the 19% abv.

4.4/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very Dangerous, taste like a delicious Root beer! But Oh yeah it's 10%

4.9/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

O: I am amazed at the marvel that is Small Town brewing, that they can put out this root beer in different ABV level, and it all taste the same, except the higher you go the faster you crash... believe me, I found this out personally

4.44/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Well, it tastes like my dad's root beer. And every other root beer. Which is to say that it's delicious, assuming you enjoy root beer.

4.59/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This tasted so good. It could be a lot of trouble in the summer when it's hot.

Wonder what ice cream would taste like with it?

3.36/5  rDev -24.2%

I have severely mixed feelings about this beverage. It's delicious. It certainly tastes just like root beer. But, perhaps too much so. To be honest, it tastes like they brewed the most flavorless beer possible, then just added root beer syrup to it. Or as they admit on the label "vanilla extract, natural and artificial flavors, and caramel coloring".

I'm not opposed to brewing with adjuncts, but this might as well just be a can of soda with a shot of vodka added. And, yes, I'm dinging it on appearance for using artificial coloring.

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Growing up I remeber drinking Dads rootbeer with my dad. It was our root beer of choice at home. So naturally even the name not your fathers root beer had me. Then the taste. Incredible. Taste just like the best root beer you've ever had (similar to the tastes of dads) lots of spices and bite and has a great ale after taste that is incredibly smooth on the palate! If you like root beer you will love this beer!

This tastes like some of the root beer I've ever had....with alcohol (bonus). You gotta try this!

4.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Tastes just like rootbeer. Have an open mind that it isn't your traditional beer and you have it made

3.9/5  rDev -12%

Tastes and smells so much like root beer and cannot even taste the alcohol. It's great in small portions but it is cloying. I couldn't finish my 10oz pour because it started to get too sweet. Definitely worth trying.

Look - it looks like syrupy root beer
Smell - it smells like syrupy root beer
Taste - it tastes like syrupy root beer from a fountain that is malfunctioning and only pouring the syrupy shit into your glass.
Feel - it feels like I should turn around after getting a bad soda at Wendys and pour it over the head of the 16 year old punk with bad tattoos and a nose-ring that connects his nostril to his earlobe with a chain that looks like a long string of snot who served it to me.
Overall - shitty.

4.36/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smells like root beer, a touch of vanilla. Tastes straight up like root beer. No alcohol taste. A bit sweet. Wow.

4.18/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An alcoholic root beer-beer at 10% ABV you say? I had heard about this from a colleague at work who raved about it to me. Saw it on tap and had to try for myself. Draft pour into snifter. Pours dark brown/black, with a cola hue and very light carbonation present. Great presence of vanilla and toasted oak. The booziness only becomes more apparent when this one warms up, otherwise it is soda pop all the way. A unique tasting experience and one to definitely snap up if you see it in your area.

3.02/5  rDev -31.8%

i like root beer.. i love beer.. this is the most overrated beer IMO EVER... and people trade for it!

4.83/5  rDev +9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is top notch

4.65/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured and split amongst family

brown in appearance, slightly opaque, minimal head on this guy

Smells just like rootbeer would out of a can, nothing really more to it to explain. Alcoholic Rootbeer

Taste follows the nose here straight up root beer. Maybe a little more syrupy than I would like but really easy to drink. Root beer floats all day

Feel is just a little thicker than the 6%

O - Delicious

Next time I'll just buy regular root beer...there's no difference.

It tastes good but there's absolutely nothing remarkable about it. Yeah, its10% ABV...so in high school, this would have been "deadly". ;)

to view more.