Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%) - Small Town Brewery

Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%)Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%)

Small Town Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-29-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 434 | Reviews: 58
4.83/5  rDev +9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Much better than the 5.9%... If it wasn't so strong, I'd have no problem drinking 5 or 6 of these. Still just a slight bit more sugary than the 19% abv.

4.4/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very Dangerous, taste like a delicious Root beer! But Oh yeah it's 10%

4.9/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

O: I am amazed at the marvel that is Small Town brewing, that they can put out this root beer in different ABV level, and it all taste the same, except the higher you go the faster you crash... believe me, I found this out personally

4.44/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Well, it tastes like my dad's root beer. And every other root beer. Which is to say that it's delicious, assuming you enjoy root beer.

4.59/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This tasted so good. It could be a lot of trouble in the summer when it's hot.

Wonder what ice cream would taste like with it?

3.36/5  rDev -24.2%

I have severely mixed feelings about this beverage. It's delicious. It certainly tastes just like root beer. But, perhaps too much so. To be honest, it tastes like they brewed the most flavorless beer possible, then just added root beer syrup to it. Or as they admit on the label "vanilla extract, natural and artificial flavors, and caramel coloring".

I'm not opposed to brewing with adjuncts, but this might as well just be a can of soda with a shot of vodka added. And, yes, I'm dinging it on appearance for using artificial coloring.

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Growing up I remeber drinking Dads rootbeer with my dad. It was our root beer of choice at home. So naturally even the name not your fathers root beer had me. Then the taste. Incredible. Taste just like the best root beer you've ever had (similar to the tastes of dads) lots of spices and bite and has a great ale after taste that is incredibly smooth on the palate! If you like root beer you will love this beer!

This tastes like some of the root beer I've ever had....with alcohol (bonus). You gotta try this!

4.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Tastes just like rootbeer. Have an open mind that it isn't your traditional beer and you have it made

3.9/5  rDev -12%

Tastes and smells so much like root beer and cannot even taste the alcohol. It's great in small portions but it is cloying. I couldn't finish my 10oz pour because it started to get too sweet. Definitely worth trying.

Look - it looks like syrupy root beer
Smell - it smells like syrupy root beer
Taste - it tastes like syrupy root beer from a fountain that is malfunctioning and only pouring the syrupy shit into your glass.
Feel - it feels like I should turn around after getting a bad soda at Wendys and pour it over the head of the 16 year old punk with bad tattoos and a nose-ring that connects his nostril to his earlobe with a chain that looks like a long string of snot who served it to me.
Overall - shitty.

4.36/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smells like root beer, a touch of vanilla. Tastes straight up like root beer. No alcohol taste. A bit sweet. Wow.

4.18/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An alcoholic root beer-beer at 10% ABV you say? I had heard about this from a colleague at work who raved about it to me. Saw it on tap and had to try for myself. Draft pour into snifter. Pours dark brown/black, with a cola hue and very light carbonation present. Great presence of vanilla and toasted oak. The booziness only becomes more apparent when this one warms up, otherwise it is soda pop all the way. A unique tasting experience and one to definitely snap up if you see it in your area.

3.02/5  rDev -31.8%

i like root beer.. i love beer.. this is the most overrated beer IMO EVER... and people trade for it!

4.83/5  rDev +9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is top notch

4.65/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured and split amongst family

brown in appearance, slightly opaque, minimal head on this guy

Smells just like rootbeer would out of a can, nothing really more to it to explain. Alcoholic Rootbeer

Taste follows the nose here straight up root beer. Maybe a little more syrupy than I would like but really easy to drink. Root beer floats all day

Feel is just a little thicker than the 6%

O - Delicious

Next time I'll just buy regular root beer...there's no difference.

It tastes good but there's absolutely nothing remarkable about it. Yeah, its10% ABV...so in high school, this would have been "deadly". ;)

4.1/5  rDev -7.4%

People either love or hate this. Small town accomplished exactly what they set out to do, brew the very best root beer flavored strong ale. It is easily the best root beer brew I've ever had. It is very very sweet, but packed with real root beer flavor, very easy to forget what you're drinking. I prefer the 10% abv(tap only) version over the 5.9% version.

I tried this beer at a festival in Wauconda, Illinois . This taste was unexpected, for sure. A very rich and flavorful root beer with only a minor hint I was drinking an alcoholic drink. I enjoyed several glasses and the taste never dulled. I would recommend this beer to anyone that enjoys a home made style root beer.

Un-freaking believable. I've never got sick drinking root beer... Until now.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

This is a short review because there's not really much you can say! This beer tastes incredibly close to root beer. It's sweet and syrupy and spicy and filled with herbs. I have no idea how they made it - did they mix grain alcohol into a keg of Barq's? Maybe! I don't care. It's great. Do you like root beer? You will like this beverage. If you think that regular (non-diet, that is) root beer is too sweet, then you should not even bother trying this.

This is not beer

1.5/5  rDev -66.1%

I seriously don't get the hype, I've never seen something so mediocre so universally loved. In my opinion, this just tastes like Everclear spiked root beer, and not an actually beer. It appalls me that so many 'respectable' beer drinkers are losing their S**t over this and actually consider this to be beer. It's gets a '98'????

Ten FIDY gets a '98' http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/34483/
Who in their right mind would even say NYFRB can hold Ten FIDY's jock strap. Now that's a world class beer, and that's just 1 example.

What an absolute joke, lets face it, this 'beer' is just a way for people to get loaded and pretend that they are experienced beer drinkers.

Poured from a growler by my buddy @getalegup at Jester King's Zwanze Day. I'm going to be real simple with this one.

Appearance: Looks like root beer.

Nose: Smells just like root beer.

Taste: Literally, it tastes just like root beer.

Mouthfeel: Once again, root beer.

Overall: I honestly can't think of a better way to explain this beer. It's root beer with alcohol, though you can't even taste the alcohol, or at least I couldn't. If you like root beer, you will love this beer. If not, then you probably won't like it. That's all there is to it. Since I love root beer, this is easily one of the best beers I've ever had.

I was in Chicago last week for some training for work. Me and my co-workers stopped by Harry Caray's 7th Inning Stretch restaurant and I saw, "Not Your Father's Root Beer" on the menu and decided to give it a try. I was glad I ordered a glass of it! This brew is incredibly tasty. The version I was served was the 10% ABV. Like several of the other reviews have stated, you do not taste the alcohol at all. The flavor is a delicious creamy/sweet root beer flavor. The root beer flavor reminded me of a freshly poured A&W root beer served at the root beer stand. This is in contrast to say a flavor like a Barq's or MUG root beer. The creaminess and hints of vanilla come through slightly at the finish. I highly recommend trying this excellent beer if you get the chance. Looking at the Small Town Brewery's website, it appears that it is only available in Illinois. With me being in Ohio, I am hoping to find a local place that can order some for me. Small Town Brewery really should consider a wider distribution than just within Illinois. I am sure it would be a big success wherever it is sold.

to view more.