Follow our progress ...

Not Your Father's Root Beer (10.7%) | Small Town Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |

Not Your Father's Root Beer (10.7%)Not Your Father's Root Beer (10.7%)

Small Town Brewery
Illinois, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Not Your Father’s Root Beer 10.7% ABV iteration marks the third nationally distributed product from Small Town Brewery after last year’s rollouts of Not Your Father’s Root Beer 5.9% and Not Your Father’s Ginger Ale. Until now, this higher strength version of Not Your Father’s Root Beer has only been available in limited quantities in the Chicagoland area.

Added by MasterSki on 10-29-2012

Reviews: 61 | Ratings: 593
3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Muddy brown color. Smells like root beer, tastes like the 5.9% version (which tastes exactly like great root beer), but with more booze and off flavors presumably from the alcohol. Like root beer mixed with root beer liquor.

1.9/5  rDev -54.5%

The 10% iteration tastes like you took the 5% and added a splash of liquor and a big spoon of sugar. The 5% at least has the benefit of tasting just like root beer. This just tastes like a half-soda, half-liquor syrupy sweet mess.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark cola brown pour. Small light brown head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

S: Smells like root beer. Strong and sweet.

T: Root beer, of course. Very sweet, very heavy on the vanilla.

M: Heavy and sticky.

O: Not a lot to say, it tastes like the original but just twice as sweet, heavy and alcoholic.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I understand this isn't for everyone but if you enjoy root beer over ice then you'll probably like this. I feel like a lot of people who rate this negatively are either viewing it through the wrong lens or they're not pouring it over ice like it says to do on the side of the bottle, thus keeping it syrupy and boozy.

1.99/5  rDev -52.4%

Cheap boozy syrup in my opinion. I could barely stomach it not because of the sweetness (it's less sweet than the 5.9) but because the schnapps like booze. I don't really get the root beer, it's just high ABV syrup. This is a pretty controversial "beer" and I can see why. You're either gonna love it or hate it.

This is definitely craft beer. Small Town does a great job masking the alcohol at such high ABV. I've had plenty of other hard root beers, and they all taste pretty horrible. These guys know how to do it right.

2.68/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at some joint outside Schaumberg.

It's a more alcoholic, and sweet, version of their lower ABV rootbeer. Same cloying sweetness, same pretty good spice profile, only with a little bit of a booze burn on the finish.

I really don't know what to make of these guys. They're doing a better job of making alcoholic rootbeers than Sam Adams or Sprecher, so that's worth something. But I brewed enough to realize 1)that I suck at brewing, and 2) it's relatively easy for a not that great a brewer to make a decent brew if they're willing to go eXtreme. And this is the eXtreme-iest beer-like product I ever did quaff. So much so that I do not think it should be categorically considered beer. There's still some amount of craft here, and it's okay to appreciate that, but there was a craft to Zima that set it apart from Smirfnoff Ice and Skyy Blue (seriously, not kidding, it was way better than those). I don't mean that as an insult--I actually liked Zima, for what it was--but I think we're getting into weird territory in reviewing this as beer.

Does that mean it's bad? No. But viewed as a beer, by beer standards, it falls short. It's far too sweet. It's not complex beyond it's rather simple SWEET + BURN formula. By all means, drink it and enjoy it, but it's not good by beer standards.

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this beer so much! This one is so much better then the 6% also. The taste is not as sweet as the 6% which makes it more drinkable and balanced.

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It looks, smells, and tastes like root beer. Tough to drink more than one. Too sweet for me but I do enjoy it. Definitely worth a try if you like root beer.

This stuff tastes identical to the 5.9% just a bit stronger and more beer like.

4.41/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I thought I would hate this, but l loved it. It tastes like the best root beer ever, well crafted, artisanal, with all the right spices... but it is a beer. A 10% beer.

3.89/5  rDev -6.9%

It is hard too review this as a beer, since it smells, tastes, and feels just like root beer. I enjoyed it. Pours like a dark root beer, and has the carmel smell. Taste like root beer. I might try to make a float out of it. Skol!

Here's the deal:

Looks like Root Beer.

Smells like Root Beer.

Tastes like Root Beer:

Too sweet to drink multiple, get a bit of a stomach ache. Slightly bumped from 5.9% because of how well it hides the abv.

Overall: I don't really like the process used to make the beer, so down from a 5 it goes.

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

On tap at World of Beer - Naperville, IL
A - dark brown-mahogany body with zero head
S - root beer
T - tastes like root beer initially; vanilla and spicy, very sweet, but the spices ride out the finish a bit more than I'd like. It's a bit odd; it might be the heavy alcohol with the spices combination that's not working for me
M - full body, lower carbonation, spicy finish
O - overly sweet, very boozy, not particularly what I want to drink when I want a beer. It is good for what it is, but I doubt I'd get it again.

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Same thing as the 5.9% version- alcoholic root beer. Sassafras and other warm spices, highly carbonated, sweet. This does start to pick up an unpleasant mineral/chalk taste, probably from the rampant alcohol. Again, don't expect a balanced, mature brew here, expect a highly stylized, highly adulterated, highly delicious root 'beer'.

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap at some dinner by Wrigley Field. Came in a 12 ounce root beer mug. Sweet sticky, not much alcohol presence. This is much better than the 5.7% version. Might be the best tasting root beer I've had.

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Much better than the 5.9%... If it wasn't so strong, I'd have no problem drinking 5 or 6 of these. Still just a slight bit more sugary than the 19% abv.

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

O: I am amazed at the marvel that is Small Town brewing, that they can put out this root beer in different ABV level, and it all taste the same, except the higher you go the faster you crash... believe me, I found this out personally

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%

I have severely mixed feelings about this beverage. It's delicious. It certainly tastes just like root beer. But, perhaps too much so. To be honest, it tastes like they brewed the most flavorless beer possible, then just added root beer syrup to it. Or as they admit on the label "vanilla extract, natural and artificial flavors, and caramel coloring".

I'm not opposed to brewing with adjuncts, but this might as well just be a can of soda with a shot of vodka added. And, yes, I'm dinging it on appearance for using artificial coloring.

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Growing up I remeber drinking Dads rootbeer with my dad. It was our root beer of choice at home. So naturally even the name not your fathers root beer had me. Then the taste. Incredible. Taste just like the best root beer you've ever had (similar to the tastes of dads) lots of spices and bite and has a great ale after taste that is incredibly smooth on the palate! If you like root beer you will love this beer!

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

Tastes and smells so much like root beer and cannot even taste the alcohol. It's great in small portions but it is cloying. I couldn't finish my 10oz pour because it started to get too sweet. Definitely worth trying.

Look - it looks like syrupy root beer
Smell - it smells like syrupy root beer
Taste - it tastes like syrupy root beer from a fountain that is malfunctioning and only pouring the syrupy shit into your glass.
Feel - it feels like I should turn around after getting a bad soda at Wendys and pour it over the head of the 16 year old punk with bad tattoos and a nose-ring that connects his nostril to his earlobe with a chain that looks like a long string of snot who served it to me.
Overall - shitty.

4.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An alcoholic root beer-beer at 10% ABV you say? I had heard about this from a colleague at work who raved about it to me. Saw it on tap and had to try for myself. Draft pour into snifter. Pours dark brown/black, with a cola hue and very light carbonation present. Great presence of vanilla and toasted oak. The booziness only becomes more apparent when this one warms up, otherwise it is soda pop all the way. A unique tasting experience and one to definitely snap up if you see it in your area.

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured and split amongst family

brown in appearance, slightly opaque, minimal head on this guy

Smells just like rootbeer would out of a can, nothing really more to it to explain. Alcoholic Rootbeer

Taste follows the nose here straight up root beer. Maybe a little more syrupy than I would like but really easy to drink. Root beer floats all day

Feel is just a little thicker than the 6%

O - Delicious

Next time I'll just buy regular root beer...there's no difference.

It tastes good but there's absolutely nothing remarkable about it. Yeah, its10% ABV...so in high school, this would have been "deadly". ;)

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

People either love or hate this. Small town accomplished exactly what they set out to do, brew the very best root beer flavored strong ale. It is easily the best root beer brew I've ever had. It is very very sweet, but packed with real root beer flavor, very easy to forget what you're drinking. I prefer the 10% abv(tap only) version over the 5.9% version.

Not Your Father's Root Beer (10.7%) from Small Town Brewery