Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%) - Small Town Brewery

Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%)Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%)

Small Town Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-29-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 434 | Reviews: 58
Reviews by Vince1979:

Look - it looks like syrupy root beer
Smell - it smells like syrupy root beer
Taste - it tastes like syrupy root beer from a fountain that is malfunctioning and only pouring the syrupy shit into your glass.
Feel - it feels like I should turn around after getting a bad soda at Wendys and pour it over the head of the 16 year old punk with bad tattoos and a nose-ring that connects his nostril to his earlobe with a chain that looks like a long string of snot who served it to me.
Overall - shitty.

Poured from a growler by my buddy @getalegup at Jester King's Zwanze Day. I'm going to be real simple with this one.

Appearance: Looks like root beer.

Nose: Smells just like root beer.

Taste: Literally, it tastes just like root beer.

Mouthfeel: Once again, root beer.

Overall: I honestly can't think of a better way to explain this beer. It's root beer with alcohol, though you can't even taste the alcohol, or at least I couldn't. If you like root beer, you will love this beer. If not, then you probably won't like it. That's all there is to it. Since I love root beer, this is easily one of the best beers I've ever had.

3.5/5  rDev -21%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep brown. Medium khaki head. Thin collar.

Smell - Smells like root beer. Lots of sugar. Vanilla. Has a vanilla extract aroma.

Taste - Sweet. Lots of spices. It's root beer. A little malty in the back. Lots and lots of vanilla.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - It's loaded with vanilla. It's just root beer with alcohol. Way too sweet for me.

1.5/5  rDev -66.1%

I seriously don't get the hype, I've never seen something so mediocre so universally loved. In my opinion, this just tastes like Everclear spiked root beer, and not an actually beer. It appalls me that so many 'respectable' beer drinkers are losing their S**t over this and actually consider this to be beer. It's gets a '98'????

Ten FIDY gets a '98' http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/34483/
Who in their right mind would even say NYFRB can hold Ten FIDY's jock strap. Now that's a world class beer, and that's just 1 example.

What an absolute joke, lets face it, this 'beer' is just a way for people to get loaded and pretend that they are experienced beer drinkers.

3.75/5  rDev -15.3%

Had this on tap in Chicago last spring. Incredible root beer flavor-couldn't tell it was anything other than root beer. Very sweet, and a heavy hitter if you're not careful.

4.79/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber, love love it. Think barrel aged hint of bourbon sassafras root beer with teeth. Must go back to Kroger to get Jeni's vanilla ice cream for a 5-star float NOW. Starting to feel the coolness through my vertebrae now. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

4.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I tell you what...put this against any of the root beer brands in a blind taste taste...and watch out...you'll have a bunch of drunk adolescents!!! The beer was root beer in appearance....no head and no lace. The scent was root beer. The taste was...root beer. The mouthfeel felt like a slightly more body than a...root beer. Overall I thought I was drinking root beer...wait....maybe I was...who knows...I would hate to think the establishment was selling a glass of root beer for $8!

4.4/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very Dangerous, taste like a delicious Root beer! But Oh yeah it's 10%

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Going to echo Trifecta1 here, except to add that this looks, smells, and tastes like a VERY GOOD root beer, i.e., without the cloying sweetness of HFCS. Inviting spicy aromas of vanilla, sarsparilla. Taste follows. I took my time to finish my $3 PINT, but this is easily crushable. May look thin, but very creamy.

I tried this beer at a festival in Wauconda, Illinois . This taste was unexpected, for sure. A very rich and flavorful root beer with only a minor hint I was drinking an alcoholic drink. I enjoyed several glasses and the taste never dulled. I would recommend this beer to anyone that enjoys a home made style root beer.

3.99/5  rDev -9.9%

I have to use 250 characters to describe it, so here goes nothing.

Root beer root beer root beer root beer root beer root beer root beer root beer root beer root beer root beer root beer root bee root beer root beer root beer root beer root beer delicious sweet root beer.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a dark chocolate brown with lots of carbonation coming up the sides of the snifter it was poured in. On tap at a local pub.

Spice, some chocolate, and the very unique smell of root beer, with plenty of booze on the nose.

Wowzers, the alcohol perceived on the nose is nowhere to be found in the mouthful. Beautifully crafted root beer flavors with spice perfectly hide the hefty ABV.

Mouthfeel is sweet and sticky, but plenty of carbonation provides enough bite to cut through like butter.

Overall, hands down the best hard root beer I've had to date, aside from their heftier Not Your Grandfather's variant ;)

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lucky to try this at a tasting event in Memphis. I will simply echo what reviewers have said...this is ridiculous. I cannot believe this is 10% abv, I can't even believe its alcoholic. It tastes like really good craft root beer. Really sweet, not heavily carbonated. Wish I could buy this all the time, it's one of the most surprising beers I've ever tasted. Bravo.

4.59/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This tasted so good. It could be a lot of trouble in the summer when it's hot.

Wonder what ice cream would taste like with it?

4.4/5  rDev -0.7%

Received this in an off-site trade from Chicago.

I really didn't expect to actually be like rootbeer - but this is more of an alcoholic root beer than it is a root beer-flavored beer.

Smell - Exactly like a can of any leading brand of root beer

Appearance -I would absolutely mistake this for soda

Taste: It tasted like a slightly "off" root beer - still more root beer than alcohol taste though, even at ten percent

Mouthfeel: Seriously exactly like soda. Light and carbonated

Overall: I love it. They need to make more of this and distribute it widely.

Aside from my tasting glass, I made myself a root beer float with some vanilla ice cream and it is a real throwback. It works perfectly. I highly recommend it.

3.12/5  rDev -29.6%

Is hard root beer really such a novel concept? I hear they make hard lemonade too...

Served in a 10 oz. snifter at Blackfinn in Mount Prospect.
Dark brown syrupy liquid with a bare skim on top, practically nonexistent. No lace or foam, likely due to the high abv. Brownish mahoghany edges, not much light getting through.

Aroma is intensely of root beer, licorice and sarsaparilla root, vanilla, slightly medicinal. I will say you can't really smell any booze here.

Taste is a different story. Cloying sweet cane sugar, licorice, sarsaparilla, nutmeg, angosturra bitters in the aftertaste. Sticky on the lips with low carbonation. It tastes like a splash of rum in a glass of root beer, and the alcohol is definitely obvious, especially if you have ever put a shot in a soda before. There's a perceptible medicinal alcohol presence, with an odd note of bitters in the aftertaste. Just because a ton of sugar covers up the burn, doesn't mean the alcohol doesn't contribute to the taste. Side by side with n/a root beer, the difference is distinct. That said, this would potentially make a good ice cream float, if you need a sugar fix.

Purely a novelty and nothing more. Tasted side by side with GI Root Beer, which seemed almost dry by comparison... which is weird because i'd always thought it was way too sweet on a fresh palate in the past.

File this away next to Four Loko, Lime-a-rita, and Mike's Hard Lemonade. Pass...

4.54/5  rDev +2.5%

I acquired this via trade from blue-dream. Thank you, sir. It was shipped to me in swing top bottles, securely fastened and taped. So, I will call it a growler for reviewing purposes. I poured it into a mug, as I thought a root beer should be served. It looks a lot like root beer. The head isn't quite as frothy as a root beer, but that is probably due to being pours into a bottle and shipped two states away. Basically, this looks and smells like a root beer. It smells exactly like it. As far as I can tell it tastes exactly like root beer. I am not a big root beer drinker, but the thought of a 10% abv root beer is appealing. The only thing that detracts, is that when it warms I get a little alcohol taste. As long as it is ice cold it is root beer all the way. It is not overly carbonated, but once again, that goes back to the pouring and shipping. Overall, it is fantastic. I wish I had some ice cream to make a float with it. Can you imagine a 10% ice cream float? I am definitely glad I got to try this. This stuff is scary as the drinkability and high abv make a highly potent combination.

4.32/5  rDev -2.5%

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. I acquired this new oddity at the local beer store about a month or so ago and have been holding it down. My first encounter with this beer and this brewery. "Brewed by: Timothy A. Kovac and John J. Dopak, Wauconda IL 60084 for Small Town Brewery, LLC". Expectations are pretty high based on the hype surrounding this beer and it's current high ratings. My bottle lists a 10.00% abv.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Naturally, it pours a dark cola brown; nearly opaque in the glass. About one to two fingers of foamy khaki head that leaves nice spotty lacing. It looks very good.

S - Wow, the hype is real- this thing smells like a straight up can of root beer poured into a glass. Caramel, vanilla, sugar, & some noticeable carbonation / mustiness.

T - Wow, again. Like the others have said, there isn't a trace of the high 10.00% abv noticeable. This thing doesn't even really taste like a 'beer' at all, more like just a straight up alcoholic root beer. Caramel, vanilla, sugar, & carbonation. A dash of cinnamon / ginger / other spices are noticeable also.

M - Feel is smooth and creamy. Sugary & sticky. Mildly syrupy. Light-bodied with good carb.

Overall, it's delicious. The beer itself isn't very complex, but there is no denying that it tastes like a regular fresh delicious root beer soda. I have never made a float before, but this one would be a more than ideal contender. An extremely unique and delicious beer drinking experience. I'm very curious as to how this is brewed and spiced, and I look forward to trying more from Small Town Brewery.

Small Town Brewery Not Your Father's Root Beer ---4/5.

This tastes like some of the root beer I've ever had....with alcohol (bonus). You gotta try this!

4.18/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An alcoholic root beer-beer at 10% ABV you say? I had heard about this from a colleague at work who raved about it to me. Saw it on tap and had to try for myself. Draft pour into snifter. Pours dark brown/black, with a cola hue and very light carbonation present. Great presence of vanilla and toasted oak. The booziness only becomes more apparent when this one warms up, otherwise it is soda pop all the way. A unique tasting experience and one to definitely snap up if you see it in your area.

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance is root beer
The aroma is 100% root beer.
Taste is phenomenal. I'm blown away by this "beer".
It's not heavily carbonated which is a good thing and the taste doesn't linger much.
But there's no mistaking that its root beer.
If I had to guess I would say it is 4%...but it's 10.
I need a never ending fountain of this.
Best beer I've ever had.

4.52/5  rDev +2%

Served in a snifter at the Beer Market in Lincolnshire.

Finally putting down my thoughts on the 10% version of this ridiculousness. It pours a nearly opaque black-brown topped by a finger of light sandy tan foam. The nose comprises light molasses, mild wintergreen, cola, and even a bit of cocoa and maple syrup. Frankly, it smells like root beer. Yup. The taste brings in more of the same, a traditional-tasting root beer with a slight intimation that there might be some alcohol back there somewhere. Imagine your uncle (not the creepy one, though) surreptitiously spiking his own soda during an otherwise boring family party, then possibly (you're not entirely sure, though) doing the same for you, despite your youth. Yup. The body is a fluffy medium, with a moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, a damn tasty beverage, one that combines my love for a well-made root beer with my love for a good-tasting beer. I can't say this vehemently enough: GET SOME!

4.36/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smells like root beer, a touch of vanilla. Tastes straight up like root beer. No alcohol taste. A bit sweet. Wow.

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

A friend had a keg of this at his place so I tried a glass. Only had one because of how dangerously drinkable this stuff is. Wow! Smells like a root beer, but better, somehow. Taste is fresh root beer, maybe a little creamier, with some vanilla hints in there. No detectable alcohol whatsoever, which is what makes it so dangerous. This was definitely a hit at the party. Seek this out if you can. I will be looking to buy a 5 gal keg ASAP.

4.21/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Pints in Elmhurst. Served in a 9 oz snifter.

The beer is a mahogany-brown with a skim of off-white foam.

This smells like root beer. A bit of anise, liquorish and brown sugar. If I smelled it blind, I would never guess this is a beer.

The taste is like a very high-end artisanal soda. The root beer elements are extremely prominent and tasty. For a 10% beer there is virtually no alcohol heat. There is sassafras, vanilla and hint of toffee. This one could definitely sneak up on you. One of our group hardly ever drinks beer but liked this one so much she had two.

Mouth is pleasantly thickish with nice carbonation.

I could see this one as great dessert beer. In talking to the manager, he said this is one of their top five sellers which surprised me given their great tap choices but upon drinking it, I can now see why. Well Done!

to view more.