Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%) - Small Town Brewery

Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%)Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%)

Small Town Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-29-2012)
Reviews by dbc5:
4.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours dark brown with an apparent soda-like carbonation and a not-so-dense, soda like head that recedes leaving a small froth over the top of my glass. Looks exactly like root beer.

S: Smells....like a root beer. Sarsaparilla, vanilla, creamy. The alcohol is not apparent, which should be noted. I wouldn't guess this is 10%.

T: Amazing! The bottle says this is a "dark amber ale" with spices. I'm very curious about the process for making this beer, because this simply tastes like the best craft root beer I've had. Not picking up a "base beer," but an extremely well crafted root beer. Alcohol doesn't come through in the flavor profile, which is again impressive given the alcohol content. The most impressive flavor component for me is the creamy vanilla that lingers on the tongue.

M: Medium body with a light carbonation on the tongue. Slightly thicker than your traditional root beer, which enhances the creamy flavor profile.

O: This is the best craft root beer I've had, alcoholic or not. So ridiculously creamy, which makes it stand above the rest. I'm not a huge soda drinker, but honestly, if this were available to me locally, I would go out of my way to have a few bottles on hand at all times.

Poured from a growler by my buddy @getalegup at Jester King's Zwanze Day. I'm going to be real simple with this one.

Appearance: Looks like root beer.

Nose: Smells just like root beer.

Taste: Literally, it tastes just like root beer.

Mouthfeel: Once again, root beer.

Overall: I honestly can't think of a better way to explain this beer. It's root beer with alcohol, though you can't even taste the alcohol, or at least I couldn't. If you like root beer, you will love this beer. If not, then you probably won't like it. That's all there is to it. Since I love root beer, this is easily one of the best beers I've ever had.

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep brown. Medium khaki head. Thin collar.

Smell - Smells like root beer. Lots of sugar. Vanilla. Has a vanilla extract aroma.

Taste - Sweet. Lots of spices. It's root beer. A little malty in the back. Lots and lots of vanilla.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - It's loaded with vanilla. It's just root beer with alcohol. Way too sweet for me.

3.75/5  rDev -15%

Had this on tap in Chicago last spring. Incredible root beer flavor-couldn't tell it was anything other than root beer. Very sweet, and a heavy hitter if you're not careful.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

4.79/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber, love love it. Think barrel aged hint of bourbon sassafras root beer with teeth. Must go back to Kroger to get Jeni's vanilla ice cream for a 5-star float NOW. Starting to feel the coolness through my vertebrae now. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

4.76/5  rDev +7.9%

4.99/5  rDev +13.2%

4.44/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I tell you what...put this against any of the root beer brands in a blind taste taste...and watch out...you'll have a bunch of drunk adolescents!!! The beer was root beer in appearance....no head and no lace. The scent was root beer. The taste was...root beer. The mouthfeel felt like a slightly more body than a...root beer. Overall I thought I was drinking root beer...wait....maybe I was...who knows...I would hate to think the establishment was selling a glass of root beer for $8!

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Going to echo Trifecta1 here, except to add that this looks, smells, and tastes like a VERY GOOD root beer, i.e., without the cloying sweetness of HFCS. Inviting spicy aromas of vanilla, sarsparilla. Taste follows. I took my time to finish my $3 PINT, but this is easily crushable. May look thin, but very creamy.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%