Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%) - Small Town Brewery

Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%)
No picture.

Small Town Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-29-2012

Reviews by dbc5:
4.64/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours dark brown with an apparent soda-like carbonation and a not-so-dense, soda like head that recedes leaving a small froth over the top of my glass. Looks exactly like root beer.

S: Smells....like a root beer. Sarsaparilla, vanilla, creamy. The alcohol is not apparent, which should be noted. I wouldn't guess this is 10%.

T: Amazing! The bottle says this is a "dark amber ale" with spices. I'm very curious about the process for making this beer, because this simply tastes like the best craft root beer I've had. Not picking up a "base beer," but an extremely well crafted root beer. Alcohol doesn't come through in the flavor profile, which is again impressive given the alcohol content. The most impressive flavor component for me is the creamy vanilla that lingers on the tongue.

M: Medium body with a light carbonation on the tongue. Slightly thicker than your traditional root beer, which enhances the creamy flavor profile.

O: This is the best craft root beer I've had, alcoholic or not. So ridiculously creamy, which makes it stand above the rest. I'm not a huge soda drinker, but honestly, if this were available to me locally, I would go out of my way to have a few bottles on hand at all times.

Look - it looks like syrupy root beer
Smell - it smells like syrupy root beer
Taste - it tastes like syrupy root beer from a fountain that is malfunctioning and only pouring the syrupy shit into your glass.
Feel - it feels like I should turn around after getting a bad soda at Wendys and pour it over the head of the 16 year old punk with bad tattoos and a nose-ring that connects his nostril to his earlobe with a chain that looks like a long string of snot who served it to me.
Overall - shitty.

2.68/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at some joint outside Schaumberg.

It's a more alcoholic, and sweet, version of their lower ABV rootbeer. Same cloying sweetness, same pretty good spice profile, only with a little bit of a booze burn on the finish.

I really don't know what to make of these guys. They're doing a better job of making alcoholic rootbeers than Sam Adams or Sprecher, so that's worth something. But I brewed enough to realize 1)that I suck at brewing, and 2) it's relatively easy for a not that great a brewer to make a decent brew if they're willing to go eXtreme. And this is the eXtreme-iest beer-like product I ever did quaff. So much so that I do not think it should be categorically considered beer. There's still some amount of craft here, and it's okay to appreciate that, but there was a craft to Zima that set it apart from Smirfnoff Ice and Skyy Blue (seriously, not kidding, it was way better than those). I don't mean that as an insult--I actually liked Zima, for what it was--but I think we're getting into weird territory in reviewing this as beer.

Does that mean it's bad? No. But viewed as a beer, by beer standards, it falls short. It's far too sweet. It's not complex beyond it's rather simple SWEET + BURN formula. By all means, drink it and enjoy it, but it's not good by beer standards.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep brown. Medium khaki head. Thin collar.

Smell - Smells like root beer. Lots of sugar. Vanilla. Has a vanilla extract aroma.

Taste - Sweet. Lots of spices. It's root beer. A little malty in the back. Lots and lots of vanilla.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - It's loaded with vanilla. It's just root beer with alcohol. Way too sweet for me.

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this beer so much! This one is so much better then the 6% also. The taste is not as sweet as the 6% which makes it more drinkable and balanced.

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I thought I would hate this, but l loved it. It tastes like the best root beer ever, well crafted, artisanal, with all the right spices... but it is a beer. A 10% beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Had this on tap in Chicago last spring. Incredible root beer flavor-couldn't tell it was anything other than root beer. Very sweet, and a heavy hitter if you're not careful.

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

On tap at World of Beer - Naperville, IL
A - dark brown-mahogany body with zero head
S - root beer
T - tastes like root beer initially; vanilla and spicy, very sweet, but the spices ride out the finish a bit more than I'd like. It's a bit odd; it might be the heavy alcohol with the spices combination that's not working for me
M - full body, lower carbonation, spicy finish
O - overly sweet, very boozy, not particularly what I want to drink when I want a beer. It is good for what it is, but I doubt I'd get it again.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.43/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.6/5  rDev -16.3%

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber, love love it. Think barrel aged hint of bourbon sassafras root beer with teeth. Must go back to Kroger to get Jeni's vanilla ice cream for a 5-star float NOW. Starting to feel the coolness through my vertebrae now. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Recently was in Chicago had this with lunch just before a Cubs game very Dangerous, taste like a delicious Root beer! Oh yeah it's 10%

4.01/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Very unique type of beer. This may be a beer that's an acquired taste.

Not Your Father's Root Beer (10%) from Small Town Brewery