2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Patriarch - Idle Hands Craft Ales

Patriarch
No picture uploaded.

Idle Hands Craft Ales visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-02-2011)
View: Beers (24) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 32 | Reviews: 2 | Show All Ratings:
donkeyrunner

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My wife and I ran through some of Idle Hands' offerings at their brewery and thought this was the best. We bought a growler.

For what it's worth this is Idle Hands' house beer that is brewed only upon receiving a fresh batch of yeast. After going through a batch of Patriarch that yeast is then used in all (most?) of Idle Hands' beer as their house strain. Hence the name. All batches are pilsener, yeast, water and a different hop each time. This batch was Perle.

Translucent orangey golden hay color with a thin head from my poor pour. Head lays down into a a crescent moon collar with a foamy smudge in the middle of my glass. Rouses well. Served in a Sambvca tulip 'cause that's what I had.

Dry hay, dry board, all the lovely yeasty phenols that make for a phenomenal barnyard beer.

Wonderfully dry and phenolic. Bread crust and a little sugared lemon/orange rind sweetness. Earthy, herbal hop for balance.

Everything I'd ever want in a BPA - dry, simple yet with lots of depth, balanced. Helluva yeast strain.

Serving type: growler

06-09-2013 13:50:55 | More by donkeyrunner
jaasen64

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Growler purchased today from the brewery- awesome place, definitely stop by if you're in the area. Poured into a CCB snifter.

A- Pours a translucent orange gold, tiny carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass, below average carbonation, about a quarter finger of white head.

S- Sweet citrus- lemons and a little bit of oranges, yeasty, a mixture between floral and bready notes.

T- Sweet citrus, a little bit of lemon, orange, a little bit of a white grape taste reminiscent of a white wine, some apples and other fruits, a little bit malty, some hops and yeast, a little bit sweet/bitter on the finish.

M- Medium bodied to a little bit on the light side, goes down very smoothly, not much carbonation.

O- This was an awesome BPA from a local nanobrewery, probably one of my favorite BPAs I've tried. Decided to purchase a growler of this because it was one of my favorites of the 5-6 beers we tried during the tasting. Its the perfect beer for a hot day, like it is today. Nice refreshing citrusy/white wine tasting beer that is well-balanced and very easy to drink. My only complaint was that it could have used a little bit more carbonation, other then that though it was great. I wish it was a regular offering that was available to purchase at stores. If you're in the area, I definitely recommend going to the brewery and trying this beer out.

Serving type: growler