1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Saison - Mystic Brewery

SaisonSaison

Mystic Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rudzud on 09-10-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Alström Bros
2.1/5  rDev -44.6%

Bottle courtesy of Reagan1984. Served in a Mystic saison glass.

Pours a clear medium golden color with a nice white head and a good bit of lacing on the way down. Nice retention.

The nose carries some grainy pilsner malt plus a bit of oxidized malt. Light cardboard character and some fairly-heavy phenols. The flavor carries along the same lines and was a bit too much to handle. Harsh character with a bit of solvent. Hard to get through.

I hope this was a bad batch, as I really enjoyed the Sauv Blanc version of this, and the Cabernet version we had alongside this bottle was much better.

Thorpe429, Mar 16, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -39.3%

Thanks Thorpe, bottle served in a snifter.

Beer is brownish and hazy with a nice white head of small and medium bubbles, some lacing, moderate retention, some carbonation.

Aroma is odd, fusel, sweet, odd.

Beer is close to non-drinkable. I've heard a lot about our bottle of this, mislabeled, wrong batch, whatever the problem is this beer is not good, it is oddly bitter, has other alcohols not ethanol in it, lots of esters and aldehydes carrying through, phenolic and medicinal. Not a repeat. Fortunately the BA versions were vastly superior.

drabmuh, Apr 06, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -39.3%

750ml bottle (Batch 1) poured into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: This beer looks really good. Dark golden orange color with nice fluffy white head. Good sticky lacing. This looks like a very nice saison.

Smell: Citrus, a slight bit of tart/funk, belgian yeast, some alcohol, and flowers. It smells like a pretty good saison.

Taste: Here, unfortunately, is where the wheels come off the bus. This guy is simply dominated by the alcohol and little else. It burns up front and leaves me with a lingering nasty bitter medicinal flavor that won't go away until I punish my taste buds with the next sip, and then the process just repeats. I can believe that there is a tasty beer under here, but reviewing what I have in front of me, this is nearly undrinkable.

Mouthfeel: Aside from the burn… Light to medium body, creamy, and adequately carbed.

Drinkability: Basically a zero. I'm fighting through this glass to give it a fair shake, but the rest of the bottle is headed down the drain.

Overall: Big disappointment. I should know better by now than to expect world class quality control from a new brewery, but for a $10 bottle of beer they should be ashamed. These bad bottles seem widespread enough at this point that there should probably be a recall. Buyer beware. I hope they get their stuff under control, because I do believe there is a lot of talent in this bottle, but they are just not yet ready for prime time.

cbeer88, Sep 25, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -38.5%

A great-looking 750 mL bottle into a Duvel tulip. Batch 001.

This is a gorgeous beer. Body is hazy gold, almost straw. A stiff, two-finger head forms and refuses to recede, leaving gorgeous lacing around my glass. Small peaks of white foam remain in the head throughout. Stunning.

The nose is quite sweet, with a good deal of lemony sweetness and just a touch of pepper. Not much funk, but a Belgian-style yeast flavor shines through. There's also a definite alcohol note at work here.

Right from my first sip, I tasted an alcohol burn that I've never experienced before in a saison. The taste of pure, grain alcohol dominates the taste. There's also an odd, sort of chemical taste reminiscent of plastic. I can taste a little bit of grassy funk, but the alcohol heat just kills it.

The mouthfeel is spot on, lively but creamy. In feel and feel alone, this reminds me of Saison Dupont.

The brewer of this beer has indicated that there was significant bottle variation in this inaugural batch of Mystic Saison, and that many bottles are giving off pronounced alcohol phenols. Even knowing that before purchasing this beer, I still couldn't believe how unbalanced and difficult to drink this was. As much as I want to love this new local brewery - and I certainly intend on trying their beers in the future - this was a disappointment.

amphion1065, Sep 17, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -34%

ChrisPro, Dec 05, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -32.7%

Batch 001

Very classy looking 750ml cork and caged bottle and logo.

Pillowy cloud like head that settled back pretty quickly to a 1/4 inch of foam. Caramel/nutty malt aroma which became a background note in flavor. Most flavor derived from the yeast character which was estery, fusely, and slightly phenolic which came off to me as plasticy and paint like. Ended sweetish with nutty/caramel malt flavor. Medium carbonation and body. This made my head pound for a good 3-4 hours after finishing 3/4 of the bottle which lead me to believe there was a good deal of fusel alcohols present. Hope future batches improve as it would be something I would take to dinner parties due to the classy packaging if the yeast profile improves.

Longstaff, Sep 14, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -29.3%

750 mL bottle shared by Thorpe.

Pours a clear light copper with a quickly fading fizzy white head with dots of lace. Head quickly fades to a thin collar. Grainy aroma, with some yeast and a nasty rubbing alcohol finish. Semi sweet, fruity body with an unbalanced grain finish. Slightly syrupy, low carbonation body with strong alcohol presence again. Not sure I would have blindly guessed this was a saison.

yourefragile, Mar 15, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Golden amber with a hazy tornado spinning through the center vertical. Solid white head with good retention and decent lacing.

S - Aroma is sour and tart smelling. Pear, green apple, cranberry, pomegranate, citrus. I pick up no malt here, though.

T - Green apple, pear, citrus, hops. Malt is absent. Entirely. I can only taste it faintly after swallowing a sip and it's on the very cliffedge of my tastebuds. Also, an unappealing vinegar taste. Ehh.

M - I don't know whether this was old on the shelf or what but this mouthfeel isn't very appealing. Each sip totally comes apart and there is almost no carbonation.

D - A poor showing. Not impressed by any means. The aromas and tastes are sour and anti-fulfilling. For this brewery (and this is the first beer I've tried from them) to call this a saison is just sacrilege to the style. For them to call this a saison is nonsense. There is no saison here. Nothing even approaching it. They could change five things about this beer in an effort to make it a saison and it still wouldn't trigger. This is, frankly, a beer gone wrong.

This is the first beer I've had from Mystic and, though Im disappointed by their first offering, I'll try two more to be faithful to a democratic spirit. I have a couple friends who have attested to Mystic's talent (and they're people whose taste I have faith in) and I'll be indulging them again soon.

jmerloni, Jul 24, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

chet4, Mar 08, 2014
2.9/5  rDev -23.5%

Very cloudy yellow pour with a giant bubbly off-white head. Fermented citrus, lemongrass, bananas, clove spice with hints of hay bales and earthy hops on the aroma; very hefeweizen-like. Heavily carbonated hit of sour fermented citrus fruits, bananas and white bread on the first sip. Thick yeast and bready malts compose most of the overall body with fermented citrus that lingers across the palate, into a sour, dry finish. Light to medium bodied with heavy carbonation. Not dramatically impressive, just about average in my opinion.

YouSkeete, May 03, 2012

seanh99, Jul 05, 2012

Patrickbrusil, Dec 25, 2012

msondel, May 16, 2014

bluerabbit, Jun 04, 2012

TobiasG, Jun 18, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

Picked this up at Bauer W&S in Boston, the clerk was promoting this brewery pretty hard so I figured I'd pick one up.

A: Into a flute- huge carbonation streaming from the bottom, big 4 finger head that diminished slow leaving nice lacing and a golden-orange color.

S: Its got some funk, but it almost reminds me of champagne. Nothing crazy awesome about the smell but it was pleasant. Had a nice funk to it, subtle though.

T: The sauvignon blanc notes stand out here big time, along with a decent farmhouse funk to it. The carbonation is kind of overkill causing a lot of the flavors to be masked. Not fantastic, but not terrible.

M: A lighter-medium bodied beer that has fantastic potential. A good drink, but I would love to see more taste from this beer and maybe a little less carb. Semi-dry finish, nice easy drink that leaves a nice white aftertaste.

O: A decent find, nothing remarkable by any means but I enjoyed it. Could be better but none the less its a nice one-time beer.

DanK4, Mar 04, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

Had on tap at the Driftwood Tavern Plymouth, MA

Appearance: one inch head, gold in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: wheat and light flower

Taste: wheat, hay, light flower, slight lemon

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, light bodied, slightly bitter

Overall: An ok, slightly above average saison. Not a bad beer, but it really did not stick out too much in a style I really like. I would get this again if offered to me, but would not go out of my way for it.

tigg924, Aug 22, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -18.2%

Batch 001, poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with a golden tint. There is a super thick off white two finger head that leaves a nice layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Just a bit sweet. It is reminding me of champagne. I'm getting some mild herbs and a fruity characteristic.

Taste: Light and slightly herbal, but less so than I would expect from the style. There is a noticeable alcohol presence and some fruity notes. Those facts combine to make me think of champagne here as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with way too much carbonation. The finish is quite dry.

Overall: Not my favorite saison. Too much alcohol and not delicate enough if you ask me. I think I would pass in the future.

oline73, Aug 27, 2012

ShanePB, May 22, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A- Way over carbonated. This 2011 bottle is nearly impossible to pour, and presents a aquarium like appearance visible through the golden honey body.

S- Smells really nice though. Peppery opening with a sharp clove middle. I'm talking super pepper like I sprinkled it all over the head. Beyond that a bit of fruity esters but they are really really hard to get beyond the pepper and banana nature.

T- Lots of fruity esters assault my taste buds. What presents through the intensely bright carbonation is bubble gum with banana flavor. Lots of bubble gum actually with fruit esters. Some tartness of citrus and a phenolic finish. Bit of leather or band-aid character with sprinkled pepper. Its complex but too jumbled and sweet. Juicy even.

M- Bright carbonation but not dry enough. Very sweet, malty even. Full bodied, the carbonation gives it a thick flavor. Lingering flavors of pepper and lemon grass on the back end help bring up the score a bit.

Its nice.. just not what I want at all in a saison. In fact, I'm not even sure I could call this a saison.

Khazadum, Mar 03, 2012

CB_Crowe, May 09, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Batch 001, served from a 750mL and shared in a couple tulips

A - deep golden color with a big, fluffy white head. doesn't stick around for long though, as both our glasses quickly diminish to just beer with no lacing

S - banana/clove, candied sugar, light floral hops

T - immediately get some interesting, spicy yeast flavors. bubblegum, light grain, however a noticeable amount of solvency. as others have noted, the brewer has come out and said their second batch does not demonstrate this trait

M - highly carbonated, which plays well with the spicy notes of the yeast

A great saison from a local Boston brewer, one that reminds me of an authentic Belgian ale. For only $9 it's not a bad price, and I'm really excited to try the slightly tweaked batch in the future. Once other batches are released, I'll be sure to try them out and re-review.

gdkersey, Sep 23, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml brown corked and caged bottle.

LOOK: Clear brassy hue, chunky semi-dense off-white head sticks well to the glass.

SMELL: Peppercorn, chalky yeast, ripe persimmons, faint pineapple, slightly medicinal, dusty cellar, biscuit dough, crackers.

TASTE: Smooth, moderate body, bitty snap, golden raisins, ripe pears, faint honey, floury grain, subtle hop flavor, peppery, papaya, yeast, faint broth, bitter herbs, alcohol, dry yeasty finish.

Very interesting, perhaps that is a loaded way to start my notes and yes it is an interesting beer. The yeast forward aspect drags this beer down a bit for me, not to the point of being undrinkable but it clearly leaves a note that my palate can't shake. Love the dryness and use of hop but I expected a bit more malt character to back all of this up. Glad I tried this again, batch #1 that I shared at Bukowski's seemed like a yeast bomb. Looking forward to trying future batches if there are variances.

Jason, Nov 22, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured into my Portsmouth tulip a heady translucent orange honey color, good lacing as it deflates to a finger of solid white.

The nose is light bubblegum and citrus with a dominating phenol alcohol presence.

A sip is medium with smooth carbonation - caramel malt, grassiness, and light citrus. But as mentioned in previous reviews, due to batch variation this one is really boozy to me - almost band aid medicinal. It's not that unpleasant, but it's not right.

Seems to be nicely hopped, but the big alcohol presence just isn't to style. Will definitely try a new bottle much later on, because it seems others have enjoyed the good half of the bath.

OldIronLungs, Sep 20, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Yellowish beer with some traces of orange, a bit hazy. Nice big white head, good lacing.

S - Grainy, some pretty distinct (not terribly pleasant either) spices, and some harsh phenols.

T - A bit sweeter than the nose. Still has that spice, a little peppers, and phenols from the yeast. Slightly citrus, not great but passable.

M - Medium bodied, slightly dry on the finish, good carbonation.

O - Not a huge fan, many better saisons out there with better tastes.

AgentZero, Oct 08, 2011