Wooden Shoe Bock - Wooden Shoe Brewing Company

good

Wooden Shoe Brewing Company
Ohio, United States

Bock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: JDK on 02-15-2007)
Reviews by FINA:
4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

Copper in color with sparse, lacing head. Notes of cinamon in the nose. Malt / grain dominates flavor profile. Hops are almost non-existent. Sweet bready flavor, but not cloying. Smooth body, very drinkable. Moderate carbonation.

Overall, this is nice representation of an American style Bock beer and at 6.5% ABV, it is definitely something to look forward to in the spring.

FINA, Aug 19, 2007

CDS86, Jan 22, 2012

jminch, Feb 05, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From what I can tell these guys used to be contract brewed at another place or at an actual Heritage Brewing, the new 12 oz bottles state that they are contracted at Elevator Brewing outside of Columbus now. Appears a pale golden tone almost as bright as straw filtered apple juice. Head is slightly off white, nice thick foam forms scattered lacing around my mug. Aromatics bring out some grassy mild hops with some biscuit toned sweetness a really mellow really compared to most micros. Flavor is nice upfront crisp malt sweetness with balancing doses of grassy hops in the background finishes malty like a bock should with a cleaned fine polished lagering. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied no fireworks or explosions just tasty drinkable beer, definitely not watery or off. Catch this while it's fresh like many lagers of this variety I'm guessing it won't hold up for a long time, so drink up.

WVbeergeek, May 18, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

Notes are from last night.

The color really throws me off here. I've seen lighter Bocks, as in dark amber, copper, reddish-brown, etc. This one is more of a deep golden color leaning just a touch toward amber. It immediately makes me question how true to style this beer is going to be, but otherwise it's pretty. A nice, dense white head forms with good retention and leaves some patches of lacing on the glass.
There's a sturdy biscuit malt but, off from the style parameters, the hops in here are more than just balancing. This should be much more malt-forward, good or not. It's a 4 for a nice biscuity malt with a touch of caramel sweetness and a pleasant floral hops addition, but I can't justify a 4 when that's not to style.
Same goes for the flavor. Is this a Bock or an APA or some sort of wacky hybrid? It is tasty, but make a hybrid category and put this in here if you want a solid 4.
The body is a sturdy medium with a nice robustness to it. Carbonation is just enough to add to a nice underlying smoothness.
This is a good beer, and I'd certainly enjoy it again, but it barely verges on Bock. Take it for what it is, not what it's supposed to be, I guess. It's a good beer.

Brenden, Oct 16, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

BamfBacon, Apr 15, 2013

DavidGross, Feb 26, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz. Picked this up in Columbus somewhere.
A dark gold/orange pour. Just a thin layer of white, very thin. There is carbonation throughout the glass though.

Aroma, malty sweet, caramel. Some breadiness.

Taste, malty caramel again, some herbal and toasted notes.

Just the heavy side of light. Enough carbonation, a tad thin. Drinks real easy. An excellent German style example of the style.

Bung, Apr 18, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -7.2%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a Sam Adams BL glass, the beer pours a clear amber color with a half-inch white head. Head retention is low, lacing is OK. It smells like bready malt and also has a weird sour aroma (but not offensive either). Taste is bready/grainy malt and toffee with a bit of honey. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium with average carbonation. It does seem a bit thin. Drinkability is OK, it's smooth and not hard to drink. Overall I think this is an average beer. Not bad, but not something I'd make a point to seek out either.

bluejacket74, Feb 17, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

Much thanks to RocPorterFanatic for this brew!

A: A medium amber orange in color, mostly clear but a slight amount of haze. Off white head starts out full, but quickly starts to sink in.

S: Sweet with caramel, and some light fruit, as well as a hint of maple syrup. Something in the back that I can't figure out.

T: Good malt flavor as well as a nice sweet bready flavor. Still a little fruitiness, and a hint at some herbal in the finish. Nice, I like the first part of the flavor, but the finish seems to lack a little.

M: Medium in body, carbonation seems to be appropriate for the style.

O: Overall it is a tasty beer, although I wish it was smoothed out a bit, with perhaps a little more intense malt.

Beejay, Jun 03, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +8%

22 oz. 6.7 % ABV. Pours a light amber color. Thick foamy off-white head holds together pretty well. Lots of active carbonation. Grainy, bready aroma, with a slight floral background. Nose is pretty simple and straightforward. Malt character has some honey sweetness, and is a bit bready. Malt is balanced well with some floral, earthy hops, which are just enough to offset the sweetness. Good body, the once active carbonation is a bit softer after sitting for a bit. Very drinkable, but not as crisp as I would like. Worth trying.

Bierguy5, Mar 03, 2007
3.94/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Thanks to the lovely folks I met at Mr. Beery's who traded me this beer for an Evo Lot 3! Poured into a Dogfish Head signature snifter. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a dark amber with a 1/2 inch head that drops down to a 1/4 inch. Eventually has a ring of bubbles with a large cluster of light foam on the surface indicating healthy yeast. Halfway decent lacing with coats of bubbles adhering to the glass.

S- A sweet, crisp, alcoholic fume comes from the aroma that's typical of most lagers.

T- Much better than it smells! Smooth, refreshing, subdued maltiness as it goes down and leaves a quick hop flash in the aftertaste making the 6.7% ABV well-hidden which can be difficult with a lager. You would almost think it was your typical five-percenter. Has a bit of caramel sweetness. I could drink these all day and not bat an eye. Well done.

M- Very alive for a lager with medium-high carbonation and a full body. Like it says on the label: "robust."

O- Very pleasantly surprised with my first randomly selected review. I'd never even heard of this brewery before and it's a thumbs up! Makes me wonder how much more amazing beer there is out there that I might never have tried...the journey continues!

Immortale25, Oct 21, 2011

jaidenjb, Apr 22, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Yet another BIF beer from western Ohio! And another brewery I'd never even heard of before.

Pours a medium orangey amber color, very clear, with minimal yellowish head. What foam was there is gone almost instantly, leaving a glass-clean surface. No lacing, and very little visible carbonation.

Smell is full of toasty biscuity malts, with a high-noise noble hop aroma behind them. Decent.

Taste starts out toasty as well, before shifting in a weird range that's hard to pin down. It wanders to slight bitterness, back to those toasted malts, and off into a brandy-like flavor that I can't quite put my finger on. It has this odd fruity-winey flavor; as I said above, brandy is the closest I can come to describing it. It's not exactly the dominant flavor, but it's prominent enough to make me take notice. I like what it contributes, even if it is rather odd.

Mouthfeel is fine, and much better than I would have guessed from the appearance. Medium-bodied, with a chewy big-bubble carbonation. Feels like a mealy apple in my mouth, but in a good, beery way. So yes, it has a strange mouthfeel, but I like it.

This is a quirky beer. The mouthfeel is unique, with a sort of chunky sense about it, and the flavor has that interesting brandy character. I like it well enough, and would drink it again, even though it doesn't wow me.

zeledonia, Jun 11, 2012
3.43/5  rDev -5%

Copper/amber in color. Small white head with no lace fades to oblivion rather quickly.

Very odd aromas coming off of this bock. Phenols, alcohol is apparent, very flowery, and light aromas. Okay now I get what I'm smelling, it actually resembles scotch. Very odd indeed.

Again flower is dominate in the flavor, with biscuity malts, very little in the way of bitterness except on the wee ending. A bit buttery as well.

Mouthfeel is thin and a bit watery.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is a solid beer that if I were in for a long haul of a day could be an opportunity for enjoyment.

mcallister, Feb 22, 2007

I hate bocks. I'd just as soon drink a pale wheat ale.

This one has a real nice toasted tone to it. Consistent and nowhere near being a gimmick. It's part of the genetic makeup of this beer. Lots of malts. I like this beer. And, I hate bocks, like I said.

RblWthACoz, Aug 20, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Poured a dark golden with a finger of head.

S: a very bready nose to it with just a hint of pine too

T: tastes just like it smells. The grains are perfectly balanced. Right at the end the hops show through.

M: very smooth with a little tingle.

O: a very drinkable bock. Willbe gettinga lot more of them.

imwalle, Mar 25, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -13.3%

Wooden Shoe Bock pours a gold-orange color with almost no head and minimal lacing.

The smell is sweet with notes of caramel and toffee as well as a hint of alcohol.

The taste is dominated with that sweetness. Nothing objectionable, but nothing that makes me sit up and take notice either.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied as expected.

Overall this is a decent bock. Middle of the road for me, not the best or the worst. Try it for yourself.

slyke, Jul 28, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured a med gold color that was clear with very little head, but laced very well.

The aroma was pleasantly yeasty with a medium hop and a hint of pine the came and went. Hmmm

Taste was no surprise from the smell, well balanced between the malts and hops, flavor didn't change too much as it warmed, I liked it slightly cooler in temperature.

I had a medium amount of carbonation that was enought to clean your palate.

Overall this is an easy drinker that I think will be a goto summer/outside at the grill brew. I liked it, and could have drank several more, without feeling full.

Mario61Aler, May 15, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Slightly cloudy and amber in color. Not much in the head, wispy. Lacing was better.

Smells of light malt, the smell is not that of a 6.7% beer.

For me the taste is not malty enough. Almost too balanced. Not bockish enough.

Mouthfeel should linger more, carbonation is good enough.

When in the area, its good enough to buy again. But otherwise I will grab another.

schmidtn, May 02, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -6.4%

I gotta tell ya, I expected more out of this bock. I love the style but thisone thru me for a loop.
Bought in a 22 oz. bottle, from a cooler directly behind the Wooden Shoe in Minster. Home to my new beer frig and sat for about 10 days. I give you this history only because I thought the beer had a sour taste.
It pours a dirty copper, nice tan head on top, good lace to be had.
The aroma was malty, not strong but with a biscuit note to it.
The taste starts out malty, bread like with a wopper of a sour dough towards the end giving the overall appeal of a sour, not a hop bitter bite, but a sour mouthfelt taste.
Drinkability I had to knock for that though the 6.7%abv is nice.
Of the wooden shoes, I like the Lager better.

chilidog, Apr 28, 2007

outsider, Feb 29, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

crytion, Jan 29, 2013

Blueribbon666, Jan 20, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

-Poured a nice golden amber color with a nice 1/2" head that quickly disappeared. Minimal lacing that clung to the side of the glass but not for long.
-Nice carbonation that gave a very good mouthfeel
-a nice sweetness with a mild hop taste
-Very light smell, especially for a bock, mostly of grain
-Didn't leave much of an aftertaste and it quickly disappeared
-ABV is marked 6.7% on the 22oz bomber

Overall an exceptional beer. I too had this on tap at the Minster,OH Octoberfest and loved both the bock and the lager, although they were both very close in taste. They sold out faster than expected so 4 was all I could get my hands on that day. I had a chance to meet the new owner and he informed me of a long 3 years getting everything together to bring this beer back to production but by the looks of the long line, everyone was looking forward to it's return. Still seems to be a little hard to find although I do expect it to show up in more places more towards summer.

JDK, Feb 15, 2007