Firestarter India Pale Ale - Bonfire Brewing Co.

Firestarter India Pale AleFirestarter India Pale Ale

Bonfire Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: woodychandler on 09-01-2013)
Reviews by kylemckinnis:
1.5/5  rDev -53.3%

1.78/5  rDev -44.5%

16 oz can. Pours slightly hazy orange amber with a medium frothy white head that goes to a thin film and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet perfumey overripe fruit and some caramel.

The flavor is odd. There's a lot of bitterness but it's a bit metallic. It has some cardboardy caramel malts and perfumey, floral, soapy, vegetal notes, plus overripe fruit. The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied and kind of watery.

Overall, very odd. It's got good bitterness, but lots of issues.

3.25/5  rDev +1.2%

3.44/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a deep golden color with orange hues and a 1 inch head. Smell is of piney hops, a bit of malts. Taste is hoppy, bitter, some pine and mint notes, a bit mild for the style, but very drinkable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good, but unspectacular beer.

3.47/5  rDev +8.1%

3.56/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The Old Lady was like a modern Siren, enticing me to come out and visit her in what I now refer to as CANorado. I made the long journey westward, only to find that my amorous feelings for her were MUCH stronger than her reciprocal feelings for me. Ah, ma coeur! In the meantime, she was a most gracious hostess and a like mind, which made it all the more painful. Towards the end of my visit, I gathered my shopping list and went all over town, gathering and buying CANs like it was my first time. The look on the babe's face when she came down from her place of work to help me stow all of my CAN booty in her vehicle was priceless. She could not believe that I had hauled so much around on public trans by myself nor that my (relatively) small frame could carry it, period. I am like an insect, capable of lifting 1000x my body weight, but I was pretty sore for a few days afterward. This will be my fourth in the wondrous event known as New Beer Sunday (week 445 - Labor Day weekend version).

From the CAN: "Cascade hops bring the aroma. Falconer's Flight slings the bitterness. This one gets the fire going quickly."; "The Firestarter was born in a garage and refined in a much larger garage before making it into the friendly [CAN]fines of this [CAN]."; "Coming in at 72 IBUs, citrus hop flavor prevails along with a just-enough bitter finish."; "Want to make Firestarter in your own garage? S[CAN] here [with QR code]".

The Crack was on par, revealing a brimful CAN. I could only respond with an inverted Glug, which in turn resulted in a finger of dense, tawny head with great retention in the face of today's stinking humidity. Summer will NOT die quietly this year, apparently. Color was a solid amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity and I was becoming anxious for a hit. Nose was surprisingly malty and while I assumed that it was an AIPA, I may add it as an EIPA, depending on how things shake out. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was VERY earthy, like a freshly-dug pit or grave. It was just hoppy enough to allow me to stick with AIPA, but it was not this hophead's dream. I dig earthy chicks, unwashed, unshaven, feral (thanks, Jo), but I like my IPAs more floral. This had the taste of soil, which I could get behind in vegetables, but not when I am in the midst of a serious jones. I get it, but I don't dig it, dig? Sticky lacing began to form as I drank, which was a bonus. Finish was difficult to quantify - it was (maybe) semi-dry, but the earthiness made it tough to get a handle on. Would I recommend it? It would really depend on the occasion. Me & The Old Lady, in the shower? Heck, yes! On a hard day when I need to mainline? No. At the beach or in the mountains? Perhaps.

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%

3.26/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Deep amber body with a nice white, frothy head. Caramel, toffee, and orange marmalade aroma. Strongly bitter taste with a modicum of malt sweetness; dry, bitter grapefruit. Medium bodied yet somewhat weak and watery body; very dry finish.

Pretty much a one-dimensional IPA as far as taste goes--very hop bitter but without any decent, off-setting grain or malt sweetness to balance things out. One of my neighbors brought over two cans for me (which I'm grateful for) yet he also found it too bitter (and he's fanatical about a good, hoppy and bitter IPA) for his liking. Drinkable yet rough going on several levels...

3.52/5  rDev +9.7%

1.75/5  rDev -45.5%

3.75/5  rDev +16.8%

3.75/5  rDev +16.8%

3.5/5  rDev +9%

3.53/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

the least impressive of the bonfire stuff so far, and not close to how good their farmer ipa was. this is more of an english style, lots of malt balance getting in the way of the hops, and lots of body filling me up too much to drink a four pack of pint cans. bronze in color with lots of bubbles. the nose is amber malt and bitter hops. i get very little exciting hop aromatic at all, and the malt takes on a cereal sweetness. the flavor is similar, with a roundness of grain and hops that is interconnected, almost nondescript outside of the usual benchmarks for both. i wanted big bright west coast hops on this, especially after i saw the color, but its rather dumbed down, although not lacking for bitterness in the slightest. fuller body, excellent carbonation and mouthfeel, but it gets a bit filling in the belly. a well made beer no doubt, but its not my favorite flavor they have come up with.

3.5/5  rDev +9%

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%

2.75/5  rDev -14.3%

Firestarter India Pale Ale from Bonfire Brewing Co.