Blur - Circle Brewing Company

Hefeweizen |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 02-06-2011

Ratings: 60 | Reviews: 9
Reviews by ExaltedNecrosis:

This is by far my favorite beer ever. Hefeweizen is the bane of my beer-drinking existence. Finding one brewed locally that is as delicious as Blur is has been a blessing. I have to hunt it down here in San Antonio but it is worth the stalking. I am by far not a beer snob but I am very, very picky. Blur is delicious.

2.17/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Pours with a lot of chunky yeast floating around. A pale yellow color with no head or lace. Looks unattractive.
S: Big banana ester, and some spice in the nose. That is it.
T: Again, huge on the banana flavors. Like a banana cream. Very sweet. That is it.
M/D: A light body with very low carbonation. Almost under carbonated. Just kind of lifeless. An unattractive and thin beer makes this hard to drink.

I did not enjoy this. There is not much going on, and it just seems like a rushed product. I love supporting the local guys, but there are a ton of other good breweries in Texas that I will go to before this. Hopefully they can try and clean this mess up.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

"Blur (Texas Hefe)" served on-draught into a pilsner glass at Stubbs BBQ here in Austin, Texas. Cost was $5.00 USD. Reviewed from notes taken a few weeks ago.

A: No bubble show.

Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of light khaki colour. Complexion is soft. Head retention is above average - about 3-4 minutes. Has decent lacing.

Body colour is a hazy orange-copper. Nontransparent. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible.

Pretty standard fare for a hefeweizen across the board.

Sm: Wheat, clove, floral hops, and clove honey. A clean and fresh aroma. Not getting as much depth or complexity as I'd like from the yeast notes. Pleasant. Mild in strength.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: Wheat, clove, orange peel, and light floral hop character. Some cream. Good balance and build, but it lacks the complexity and subtlety that the great hefeweizens possess. Flavour duration is average. Good intensity of flavour. Pretty good depth of flavour as well. I like it, but the yeast character is a bit lacking.

No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Good body. Good thickness. Good carbonation. Complements the flavour profile well. A well executed texture.

Not oily, harsh, biting, rough, scratchy, or hot.

Dr: Very drinkable and enjoyable. I'd get it again. A solid American hefeweizen, but it's not without its flaws. Worth trying for any fan of the style.

B-

2.45/5  rDev -31.9%

Maybe it's just me, but when I first tasted this beer, I immediately thought it was very similar to Blue Moon? My mind may be playing havocs on me, but I just couldn't get over the fact that I kept comparing it to Blue Moon.

The appearance does look appetizing, but there wasn't much of a head, so it did appear to be flat.

The smell is strong for a hefeweizen. Is that good thing, yes, but it only works if it tastes just as good!

Like I said, the taste seems too bland because it quite doesn't stand out from the hefeweizen crowd for me. I'm torn between whether this is too fruity with too much of banana/orange notes to it or it's just missing something else...

The beer did feel flat in my mouth, so I'm not sure if there should have been a bit more of carbonation to make it slightly more lively?

I'll revisit this review again, because I definitely want to give this beer another chance. This current review reflects my first impression of the beer.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap at the Flying Saucer Houston in a plain pint.

A: Golden, straw flavor. Cloudy and unfiltered with a thin white head.

S: Medium yeast smell, banana and coriander.

T: Strong banana and hefe yeast flavor which disappears quickly.

M: Light bodied, creamy.

O: It's a decent Hefe. Easy to drink but not the best of the style.

3.49/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Blur Hefeweizen on draught at Flying Saucer Austin
Circle
20130616
Tap, Shaker Pint

A - Thin yet frothy looking head. Uniformly cloudy, opaque off-gold with a tinge of yellow. Lacing sticks around quite nicely, it is quite thick swathed.

S - Banana and wheat, with some bubblegum.Very slight lemon. Also a little nuttiness. Detecting a very slight grass as well,. Banana is the largest smell component.

T - A banana-wheaty mix, with some earthiness. Slight lemon zest on back end. The earthiness is a mix of a wood and some nuttiness. No obvious off flavors (no bacteria, cabbage, rust, etc.).

M - Smooth yet nicely carbonated. Medium bodied, not very bright/refreshing in feel. Carbonation kind of falters fast, almost as if this was on nitro,

D - I'd like to get more wheat, less earthiness, and a lighter body. Still better than expected based on recollection of a different beer from this brewery (did my best to disregard that memory and give this beer a fair shake).
4, 3.75, 3.5, 3, 3.25
(try but not worth seeking; if it's the only hef on the menu, settle for it).

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Had a pint on tap at the draught house in Austin.

Appearance: Pretty typical looking for a hefeweissen. Pours hazy golden color with small off white head.
Aroma: What is expected from a hefeweissen fermented on the warmer side. Lots of banana ester.
Taste: Banana comes to the forefront again which is not necessarily a bad thing in a hefeweissen, but I would expect some hints of clove or ornge to balance. There is no balance.
Mouthfeel: Yeasty as one would expect, nothing exciting.

Overall: Pretty average beer, not a bad beer nor a great one. I would drink this again but wouldnt go out of my way to find it. When presented with a choice of hefeweissens this one will certaintly not stand out.

4.72/5  rDev +31.1%

Appearance - Very opaque, golden orange / yellow color. Light amount of lacing on the glass. Got about 1/2" of head. Looks like a hefeweizen!
Smell - moderate levels of citrus and banana and a subtle hint of cloves. Caught myself smelling this beer like 4 times before I actually tasted it because of the great yeast characteristics. Little to no hop aroma.
Taste - bright, slightly malty, some citrus there too. Very low hop and bitterness on the palate, as expected. Very subtle tartness.
Mouthfeel - Very pleasant, slight dryness, pronounced citrus tastes there.
Overall - Pleasant and refreshing! A great interpretation of the Weizen style (15A)! Stands out from other hefes because the citrus isn't in your face and the tartness is mild. Good balance between all of the typical hefeweizen flavors and aromas.

2.91/5  rDev -19.2%

On-tap at the Circle Brewing Company grand opening.

Blur is the operative word, here, as this hefeweizen sports a cloudy orange body with a cap of eggshell-white foam that retains well and leaves behind a nice coating of lace. The aroma is mild, with a hint of wheat, banana, and orange peel. A bit of a mineral presence as well.

The flavor starts off nicely, with a burst of sweetened orange juice leading the way, followed by wheat, banana, and some pale malts. However, the finish is absolutely devoid of flavor. Like, nothing. Some might enjoy that, and it certainly makes Blur an easy drink on a hot day, but I much prefer some substance to my hefeweizens. Body is thin and weakly carbonated with a listless feel on the palate. Kudos to CBC for trying to make this style in a town where Live Oak Hefeweizen is king, but this is a weak attempt. I'd reach for LO Hefe 100/100 times.

Blur from Circle Brewing Company