Caboose Oatmeal Stout - American Brewing Company

Oatmeal Stout |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: beertunes on 02-28-2011

Reviews by BVukelich:
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Bought a 22 and poured into a stein, that was all my parents had at their house. Guess I better get them a set of glassware for Christmas.

A - Beautiful, rich, black color with a less than impressive brown head. Although, it did leave great color in the lace as I drank my way thru it.

S - Sort of typical stout aroma but I picked up on the alcohol. I didn't get as much oatmeal as I expected.

T - I really enjoyed the roasty flavor. It was a bit more bitter than other stouts I've tasted recently but it was by no means a turn off. Dark chocolate flavor was present on my palate.

M - Lower carb, smooth viscosity,

Overall, a pretty decent oatmeal stout. I'm not an oatmeal stout connessiour but I think it would please most looking to enjoy one over the cold holidays. I would purchase again. (800 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured pitch black into an imperial nonic with a large blooming mocha colored head atop.Molasses and dark fruit aromas really jump out at ya with underlying soft chocolate and hoppy pine notes,very appetizing.Full and creamy feel makes it glide down way way to easy,wow to me its perfect.A great mix of dark char,coffee, devils food chocolate, and dark fruitiness on the palate,its quite brash but it goes down so damn easy!This is a badass oatmeal stout honestly I think the best I have had,at least that I can remember.It looks like American is a rather new brewery out in Washington,if they make more stuff this high quality its in for a long healthy business life span. (673 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

ABV 7.0
IBU's 30
American Oatmeal Stout
Nitro Pour at the brewery. Beautiful very dark brown/black. Creamy foamy head forms from effervescent nitro bubbles throughout raising nicely to the top.
Initial sip blew me away. Incredibly delicious with chocolate and coffee notes blending well. Very creamy feel as one would expect from a nitro pour.
A very worthy effort. Can't wait to go back. (388 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +1%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

3.84/5  rDev -2%

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2.84/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours into a healthy dark brown, almost black with a creamy brown head. Unfortunately, a clean pour is nigh impossible. Out of a 1p6oz bottle, I was only to get roughly a quarter into my pint glass. This beer is so incredibly over carbonated that after maybe three or four ounces, my glass was full of foam on a soft pour.

The aroma is strong of coffee with light cocoa and earth tones.

On taste, this beer is incredibly bitter, there is almost no balance of hop to sweetness. Initially a strong coffee flavor, finishing roughly with the strong flavor of alcohol. This isn't too strong of a beer, 7% ABV so not only is that surprising, but it's a very weak characteristic.

The mouthfeel is incredibly rough, as this beer is overcarbonated. It's possible that some age will take this off, but as it stands the beer's initial flavor is masked by the carbonation.

Overall, I won't be getting this beer again. Nor can I advise my friends or anyone I know to. (961 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks Jim (youradhere)

S: Sweet chocolate with lots of mocha, roastiness.

L: Thick, black, tan creamy head with a little retention.

T: Roasty coffee and chocolate up front. Medium low bitterness leading to dry cocoa and some roastiness. Fairly dry finish, ashy.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Not bad, fairly dry for the style. Expected a larger body being 7% ABV. (377 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Great body and head on this one, but the taste really fails to live up. (71 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance: (4.0)
- Super dark stout.. poured black. Like a quiet sleeper stout. Minimal light mocha colored head.. maybe a half a finger or more slowly hit, and went away. Little ring left, and some scattered dusting. Looks like a nice stout.

Smell: (4.5)
- Nice grainy smokey, and husky malts. Like chocolate, big smoke... and a grassy earthy hop flare that spices it up. Smell is super good. Semi-sweet oats and sugars.. but that isn't what stands out.

Taste: (4.5)
- Smooth sailing stout. This is very good. Perfect touch of a smoked roasted character that I find to be missing in many other standard stouts. Smoked malt, light chocolate, perfectly balanced with some good grainy malt sweetness. Bitter early boil grassy hops.. solid stout. I think I found a new favorite.

Mouth Feel: (4.5)
- This is almost the perfect stout. Or maybe it just is. Great medium bodied and slightly creamy brew.. not at all chalky like a find a lot of stouts. Certainly chewy though, and dry like it should be. If I wanted to brew my own perfect stout, I would be happy with the way this turned out.

Overall: (5.0)
- I think this is my favorite stout that I have ever had. I am going to be buying many more. This tastes really good.. is easy to drink, is just the right strength.. with not a touch of alcohol flavor to be noticed. A very good job with this beer. I recommend you all try this soon. Superior. (1,412 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -5.1%

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Looks perfect--black with a thick, creamy, dark tan head. Smells of roast and chocolate.

Medium body, creamy. Dry, roasted malt with a touch of coffee and chocolate, earthy hops come in at the end. Dry finish.

Thin head lasts all the way to the bottom of the glass, leaving slight lacing behind.

This is what I want my oatmeal stouts to look and taste like. I will go out of my way to drink this again. (463 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%