Caboose Oatmeal Stout - American Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 95 | Reviews: 32
Reviews by loren01:
4.2/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a dark black color, nice sized tan head with good lacing
S: Smell is of roasted grain, coffee and slightly of vanilla
T: Roasty grain up front with a big dark roast coffee flavor and earthy hop bite at the end
M: Medium bodied beer, creamy mouthfeel going down
O: This is a great beer, had never heard of this place before but I'm glad I picked this one up and look forward to trying some of their other stuff.

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured pitch black into an imperial nonic with a large blooming mocha colored head atop.Molasses and dark fruit aromas really jump out at ya with underlying soft chocolate and hoppy pine notes,very appetizing.Full and creamy feel makes it glide down way way to easy,wow to me its perfect.A great mix of dark char,coffee, devils food chocolate, and dark fruitiness on the palate,its quite brash but it goes down so damn easy!This is a badass oatmeal stout honestly I think the best I have had,at least that I can remember.It looks like American is a rather new brewery out in Washington,if they make more stuff this high quality its in for a long healthy business life span.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

ABV 7.0
IBU's 30
American Oatmeal Stout
Nitro Pour at the brewery. Beautiful very dark brown/black. Creamy foamy head forms from effervescent nitro bubbles throughout raising nicely to the top.
Initial sip blew me away. Incredibly delicious with chocolate and coffee notes blending well. Very creamy feel as one would expect from a nitro pour.
A very worthy effort. Can't wait to go back.

2.84/5  rDev -27.4%

Pours into a healthy dark brown, almost black with a creamy brown head. Unfortunately, a clean pour is nigh impossible. Out of a 1p6oz bottle, I was only to get roughly a quarter into my pint glass. This beer is so incredibly over carbonated that after maybe three or four ounces, my glass was full of foam on a soft pour.

The aroma is strong of coffee with light cocoa and earth tones.

On taste, this beer is incredibly bitter, there is almost no balance of hop to sweetness. Initially a strong coffee flavor, finishing roughly with the strong flavor of alcohol. This isn't too strong of a beer, 7% ABV so not only is that surprising, but it's a very weak characteristic.

The mouthfeel is incredibly rough, as this beer is overcarbonated. It's possible that some age will take this off, but as it stands the beer's initial flavor is masked by the carbonation.

Overall, I won't be getting this beer again. Nor can I advise my friends or anyone I know to.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks Jim (youradhere)

S: Sweet chocolate with lots of mocha, roastiness.

L: Thick, black, tan creamy head with a little retention.

T: Roasty coffee and chocolate up front. Medium low bitterness leading to dry cocoa and some roastiness. Fairly dry finish, ashy.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Not bad, fairly dry for the style. Expected a larger body being 7% ABV.

2.69/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Great body and head on this one, but the taste really fails to live up.

4.57/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance: (4.0)
- Super dark stout.. poured black. Like a quiet sleeper stout. Minimal light mocha colored head.. maybe a half a finger or more slowly hit, and went away. Little ring left, and some scattered dusting. Looks like a nice stout.

Smell: (4.5)
- Nice grainy smokey, and husky malts. Like chocolate, big smoke... and a grassy earthy hop flare that spices it up. Smell is super good. Semi-sweet oats and sugars.. but that isn't what stands out.

Taste: (4.5)
- Smooth sailing stout. This is very good. Perfect touch of a smoked roasted character that I find to be missing in many other standard stouts. Smoked malt, light chocolate, perfectly balanced with some good grainy malt sweetness. Bitter early boil grassy hops.. solid stout. I think I found a new favorite.

Mouth Feel: (4.5)
- This is almost the perfect stout. Or maybe it just is. Great medium bodied and slightly creamy brew.. not at all chalky like a find a lot of stouts. Certainly chewy though, and dry like it should be. If I wanted to brew my own perfect stout, I would be happy with the way this turned out.

Overall: (5.0)
- I think this is my favorite stout that I have ever had. I am going to be buying many more. This tastes really good.. is easy to drink, is just the right strength.. with not a touch of alcohol flavor to be noticed. A very good job with this beer. I recommend you all try this soon. Superior.

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Looks perfect--black with a thick, creamy, dark tan head. Smells of roast and chocolate.

Medium body, creamy. Dry, roasted malt with a touch of coffee and chocolate, earthy hops come in at the end. Dry finish.

Thin head lasts all the way to the bottom of the glass, leaving slight lacing behind.

This is what I want my oatmeal stouts to look and taste like. I will go out of my way to drink this again.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

22oz poured in snifter...

Dark coffee brown, small brown head.

quite the surprise... very nice/sweet taste upfront with a nice smooth bitterness at the end. mouthfeel is everything in these porters/stouts and this one is near perfect. Again, quite the surprise! will be drinking this again in the near future.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

22 oz bomber courtesy of Libbey pours a rich black color with a vibrant, iron colored head...really cool-looking color on the foam. Retention and lacing are decent.

Mostly sweet roasty and chocolate malt with a kiss of (Im guessing) cascade hops. This might be the most oatmeal-y smelling beer I have had...smells just like a bowl of oatmeal with a heaping spoonful of brown sugar and a few splashes of milk.

Not as sweet as the aroma, which is probably a good thing here...it keeps the beer multi-dimensional. Lots of roast comes out as well as a fairly substantial pine hop bitterness and flavor. Mouthfeel is not the most viscous for the style, but is silky and creamy enough to be wholly satisfying. It has been quite some time since I sunk my teeth into an oaty stout this tasty, easily one of my favorite styles. It does a wonderful job of being characterful - one sip displays a sweet smoothness while the next might show a coffee bitterness and that might be followed by a nutty yeast flavor. Many thanks to Matt for sending this delicious beer.

4.34/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a nitro tap into a pint glass. It has a completely black with no light transparency appearance with a solid inch of tan micro sized bubble head. It has a mocha coffee nose. It has a real dark chocolate taste with roasted malt notes. It has a thick and creamy mouth feel. Overall nice oatmeal stout and a nice find.

3.77/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

American Brewing 'Caboose Oatmeal Stout' @ 6.2% , served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $7.25

A-pour is black from bottle to glass with a thin small tan head , which is quickly dissapating leaving a minimal lace ring along the pint

S-mellow roasted oats

T-rich & robust , not creamy

MF-ok/good carbonation , bit thin , almost full bodied

Ov-ok beer , decent oatmeal stout

prost LampertLand

4.04/5  rDev +3.3%

A fine stout, I would like the chocolate finish a bit stronger but over all this is definitely worth visiting again. I wish it was a bit colder this evening, Stouts are perfect for a cold evening and a fireplace. I'll take some back to Texas in January to see what the boys say.

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

22oz into a tulip. Pours a deep rich brown w/ a thin mocha head.

Aroma is rich and chocolatey. Dry cocoa, bitter roasted malt, a hint of dark fruit.

Taste is likewise chocolatey and dry; cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, and bitter roasted malt. Nice sharp bitter bite on the finish.

Mouthfeel is dry and velvety smooth. Goes down easy.

Overall a really nice, easy-drinking oatmeal stout. Well done American.

3.61/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very deep brown color with a dark beige head in the snifter. Plenty of carbonation though a little weak in the head. Pleasant aroma of chocolate and dark grains. Rich malty flavor but a lighter mouthfeel. Quite sudsy and silky and easy to drink. Not so sweet, with an expansive variety of roasted malt flavors from caramel to blackened. Bitter chocolate in the aftertaste.

Somewhat woody after some sipping. Thoroughly drinkable big stout. A nice balance of sweet malt with the charred barley and bitter hoppy twang. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Wine World and Spirits in north Seattle.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

So I finally get to try this oatmeal stout! I am a huge oatmeal stout fan, huge! I originally bought 1 of these way back in the beginning of August (it is now Aug 30 '14), but when I tried to pour it into my glass all I got was foam. Literally couldn't drink it, maybe an inch of beer and the rest foam and when I tried to drink it out of the bottle got nose full of foam with no beer. I took it back to the shoppe and they refunded me, then I e-mailed the brewery simply to let them know and they offered to send me 2 bottles for free as replacement. The 2 bottles just got here today.

I was worried! Worried it would happen again, having traveled from Washington to North Carolina and going from hot to cold. But nope, just poured it and it looks great. The perfect dark black stout color with a 2 finger tan head and fine lacing. The smell is primarily coffee chocolate and alcohol. The taste is of this as well, quite good but it has a nice dark chocolate bitter finish. I do like it but I do think it's just a bit too bitter.

I appreciate American Brewing Co.'s willingness to right the wrong!

Overall 3.75

Had this beer on-tap at the Hooverville in Seattle. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: quite black with a good finger of pillowy dark tan foam. Just right for a stout.

Smell: sweet malt with a good roasty character. It doesn't stand out from the crowd, but it is very competent and well-made.

Taste: big flavor of coffee and a tart but still rich roasted grain character. Some fruity complexity rounds out the flavor nicely -- a tasty beer indeed.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a nicely silky creaminess. I like it.

Overall: a good solid pint of American stout. This is definitely my favorite offering by American Brewing to date.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

4/27/2012

Thanks!

A: Near black with a finger of light brown foam.

S: Lots of chocolate and roast with a little cream. Earthy with more dark chocolate and a light dark fruit presence. Light molasses in the finish with a touch of nuttiness.

T: Bitter dark chocolate with some dark fruits. Low bitterness with a firm roast and some nuttiness. Lots of dark chocolate and molasses in the earthy finish.

M: Medium body, a little thin. Upper medium carbonation.

Overall: A solid Oatmeal Stout.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Man I love being back in a part of the country where random unknown off the shelf localish beers can turn out to be super delicious.

This one pours a beautiful almost black with a light brown head that sticks around for the party.

The nose presents bakers chocolate and burnt malts, with a sharp sweetness coming in late, somewhere between toffee and a sweet hot chocolate.

Tasty tasty. I don't know what people are complaining about with their talk of overhopping etc. This is predominantly a dark roast coffee flavour, some hops and a burnt bitterness in there as well, but not a dominant flavour. That oatmeal smooths things out giving it a soft finish.

I am quite pleasantly surprised. I didn't know what to expect going in, and it turns out this is a really good oatmeal stout. Highly recommended if you like any of the flavours mentioned above, or this style in general.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Food Pairing - Chocolate cookie with chocolate chips was pretty good. The natural bitterness of each kind of clashed with one another, but otherwise not a bad pairing.

A - Opaque, so dark it looks black! Powerful foamy head left lovely lacing.
S - Very faint, clean but not much here to entice.
T - Really tasty! Rich oatyness, a bit heavy on the bitter but not off putting. Overall, well balanced between bitterness and malt.
M - Refreshing from the get-go. While this quality can sometimes come with the drawback of a reduced flavor profile, not so in this case! Quite a feat for such a satisfying stout.
O - This brewery's appreciation for the style is evident in this wonderful bit of craft. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Bought a 22 and poured into a stein, that was all my parents had at their house. Guess I better get them a set of glassware for Christmas.

A - Beautiful, rich, black color with a less than impressive brown head. Although, it did leave great color in the lace as I drank my way thru it.

S - Sort of typical stout aroma but I picked up on the alcohol. I didn't get as much oatmeal as I expected.

T - I really enjoyed the roasty flavor. It was a bit more bitter than other stouts I've tasted recently but it was by no means a turn off. Dark chocolate flavor was present on my palate.

M - Lower carb, smooth viscosity,

Overall, a pretty decent oatmeal stout. I'm not an oatmeal stout connessiour but I think it would please most looking to enjoy one over the cold holidays. I would purchase again.

2.39/5  rDev -38.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. Bomber. The beer is a dark brown, almost black that allows no light through with a one inch cream colored head. Smell was not like any of the other reviews and the taste was extremely sour. This must be an infected batch. Couldn't finish the glass and ended up as a drain pour.

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Thanks to bfg75 for sending me a load of good beer from the PNW, including this extra from a heretoforward unheardoftome brewery. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife.

Pop goes the cap. Rolling goes the fog. Pour - holy shit! Emergency mouth-to-glass after about two ounces foams up like Ole Yeller, boiling up & over the edge. Infected, or overcarbonated? Ten minutes later the bit of beer is ready to be examined. Black. OK. Nose is nice sweet malts, chocolate, but with a dose of earth. Earth? Doesn't seem right.

Just looked up. The remaining eighteen ounces is creeping, creeping down the neck. The foam is about one-third of the way down the bottle. Maybe it's possessed.

Caboose Oatmeal Stout is, shockingly, not infected. At least overtly. I'd have bet against it. What it is, is massively overcarbonated, to the point of obscuring the beer by about 68%. Underneath it matches up with the nose: nice chocolate bite, sweet, but with a previously undetected char that sticks the mid-section. Lingering bitterness. That earthiness sticks its wide-load in, but it's much weaker than in the nose.

Like drinking a champagne stout. There's clearly something off about this beer, but I have a a good whiff of the solid beer underneath. But this bottle is just decent.

4.01/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I bought a bottle of Caboose Oatmeal Stout in a bottle shop. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours an opaque black color with a creamy two-tone mocha colored head.

Smell is a sweet liquor aroma. Like a coffee liquor.

Taste is a roasted grain and chocolate flavor, with a bit a bourbon flavored finish.

Mouthfeel is thick and smooth, slightly cloying, semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste.

Over all a good oatmeal stout. I would have this again.

3.91/5  rDev 0%

22-oz bottle into Snow Cap nonic pint glass
served at celler temperature

My wife bought me this for Valentine's Day; about time I pop it open.

A - pitch black body under 4 fingers of bubbly dark tan foam; PERFECT!

S - primarily coffee, some chocolate

T - bitter roast coffee and dark chocolate; malty and bitter; dry warming finish

M - oily medium body; medium/high carbonation

O - Caboose is a decent oatmeal stout. It looks perfect. It smells about right for the style. The taste is on the bitter side, but still pretty good. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style. Definitely worth a try.

to view more.