Caboose Oatmeal Stout - American Brewing Company

Beer added by: beertunes on 02-28-2011

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 101 | Reviews: 33
4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance: (4.0)
- Super dark stout.. poured black. Like a quiet sleeper stout. Minimal light mocha colored head.. maybe a half a finger or more slowly hit, and went away. Little ring left, and some scattered dusting. Looks like a nice stout.

Smell: (4.5)
- Nice grainy smokey, and husky malts. Like chocolate, big smoke... and a grassy earthy hop flare that spices it up. Smell is super good. Semi-sweet oats and sugars.. but that isn't what stands out.

Taste: (4.5)
- Smooth sailing stout. This is very good. Perfect touch of a smoked roasted character that I find to be missing in many other standard stouts. Smoked malt, light chocolate, perfectly balanced with some good grainy malt sweetness. Bitter early boil grassy hops.. solid stout. I think I found a new favorite.

Mouth Feel: (4.5)
- This is almost the perfect stout. Or maybe it just is. Great medium bodied and slightly creamy brew.. not at all chalky like a find a lot of stouts. Certainly chewy though, and dry like it should be. If I wanted to brew my own perfect stout, I would be happy with the way this turned out.

Overall: (5.0)
- I think this is my favorite stout that I have ever had. I am going to be buying many more. This tastes really good.. is easy to drink, is just the right strength.. with not a touch of alcohol flavor to be noticed. A very good job with this beer. I recommend you all try this soon. Superior.

4.55/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured pitch black into an imperial nonic with a large blooming mocha colored head atop.Molasses and dark fruit aromas really jump out at ya with underlying soft chocolate and hoppy pine notes,very appetizing.Full and creamy feel makes it glide down way way to easy,wow to me its perfect.A great mix of dark char,coffee, devils food chocolate, and dark fruitiness on the palate,its quite brash but it goes down so damn easy!This is a badass oatmeal stout honestly I think the best I have had,at least that I can remember.It looks like American is a rather new brewery out in Washington,if they make more stuff this high quality its in for a long healthy business life span.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

ABV 7.0
IBU's 30
American Oatmeal Stout
Nitro Pour at the brewery. Beautiful very dark brown/black. Creamy foamy head forms from effervescent nitro bubbles throughout raising nicely to the top.
Initial sip blew me away. Incredibly delicious with chocolate and coffee notes blending well. Very creamy feel as one would expect from a nitro pour.
A very worthy effort. Can't wait to go back.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

22 oz bomber courtesy of Libbey pours a rich black color with a vibrant, iron colored head...really cool-looking color on the foam. Retention and lacing are decent.

Mostly sweet roasty and chocolate malt with a kiss of (Im guessing) cascade hops. This might be the most oatmeal-y smelling beer I have had...smells just like a bowl of oatmeal with a heaping spoonful of brown sugar and a few splashes of milk.

Not as sweet as the aroma, which is probably a good thing here...it keeps the beer multi-dimensional. Lots of roast comes out as well as a fairly substantial pine hop bitterness and flavor. Mouthfeel is not the most viscous for the style, but is silky and creamy enough to be wholly satisfying. It has been quite some time since I sunk my teeth into an oaty stout this tasty, easily one of my favorite styles. It does a wonderful job of being characterful - one sip displays a sweet smoothness while the next might show a coffee bitterness and that might be followed by a nutty yeast flavor. Many thanks to Matt for sending this delicious beer.

4.37/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into a big snifter. No dates or codes that I can see.

Pours respectably, black with a light brown head, medium sized, slow carbonation. Smell is roasty, toasty, slightly chocolatey malty goodness. Maybe the slightest hint of vanilla. This smells like a stout should smell, for me.

Taste is sweet and mildly chocolatey up front with a nice roasted bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and silky without being sticky or heavy. Overall, this is a quite good stout.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

22oz poured in snifter...

Dark coffee brown, small brown head.

quite the surprise... very nice/sweet taste upfront with a nice smooth bitterness at the end. mouthfeel is everything in these porters/stouts and this one is near perfect. Again, quite the surprise! will be drinking this again in the near future.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured deep cola brown with a finger of dark khaki head. Smooth aroma of milk chocolate, mild coffee, and light roast.

Moderate carbonation and a full, ultra-creamy mouthfeel. Gentle coffee, hints of caramel, and milky chocolate are in great balance with just a touch of roasty bitterness on the finish.

This is one of the smoothest oatmeal stouts I've tasted -- really balanced and flavorful.

4.34/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a nitro tap into a pint glass. It has a completely black with no light transparency appearance with a solid inch of tan micro sized bubble head. It has a mocha coffee nose. It has a real dark chocolate taste with roasted malt notes. It has a thick and creamy mouth feel. Overall nice oatmeal stout and a nice find.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Food Pairing - Chocolate cookie with chocolate chips was pretty good. The natural bitterness of each kind of clashed with one another, but otherwise not a bad pairing.

A - Opaque, so dark it looks black! Powerful foamy head left lovely lacing.
S - Very faint, clean but not much here to entice.
T - Really tasty! Rich oatyness, a bit heavy on the bitter but not off putting. Overall, well balanced between bitterness and malt.
M - Refreshing from the get-go. While this quality can sometimes come with the drawback of a reduced flavor profile, not so in this case! Quite a feat for such a satisfying stout.
O - This brewery's appreciation for the style is evident in this wonderful bit of craft. Highly recommended.

4.29/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Looks perfect--black with a thick, creamy, dark tan head. Smells of roast and chocolate.

Medium body, creamy. Dry, roasted malt with a touch of coffee and chocolate, earthy hops come in at the end. Dry finish.

Thin head lasts all the way to the bottom of the glass, leaving slight lacing behind.

This is what I want my oatmeal stouts to look and taste like. I will go out of my way to drink this again.

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured 75% of the bomber into a big ol over sized snifter,

A - Color is deep dark roasty brown, near black, poured somewhat aggressively, achieving a finger of dense, nice chocolate colored head, strong retention and lacing.

S - sweet chocolate malts, roasty dark chocolate, mild burnt/smokey aromas,

T - Sweet dark cohoclates, fairly bitter roasty with a nice oat flavor - flavors are rather bright. Little sweet molasses type flavors. Minimally mediciney/alcohol traces but no burn, nicely drinkable.

M - Full bodied, very minimal carbonation and smoooth. Enjoyable to sip but not difficult to drink at a steady pace. Mouthfeel is really ideal.

O - Awesome combination of flavor and ideal mouthfeel. Exceeded expectations.

4.2/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a dark black color, nice sized tan head with good lacing
S: Smell is of roasted grain, coffee and slightly of vanilla
T: Roasty grain up front with a big dark roast coffee flavor and earthy hop bite at the end
M: Medium bodied beer, creamy mouthfeel going down
O: This is a great beer, had never heard of this place before but I'm glad I picked this one up and look forward to trying some of their other stuff.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Poured a nice looking deep brownish black color with good carbonation leaving a nice tannish cap

S: Lots of fresh oats, some cocoa and roasted malt

T: Nice. Plenty of roasted malt upfront with oats and cocoa, a little bit of booze, grainy

M: Initial mouthfeel loses a bit of flavor, grains, then some cocoa and oats reappears. heart feel.

O: A good drink and pleasantly surprised

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Another delicious oatmeal stout I randomly picked up in Bellingham, WA a few weeks ago.

It pours a beautiful pitch black into my pint glass, and a minimal head. The taste is delicious; if you are a fan of the coffee-esque tastes that oatmeal stouts have, give this one a try, you won't be disappointed.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Man I love being back in a part of the country where random unknown off the shelf localish beers can turn out to be super delicious.

This one pours a beautiful almost black with a light brown head that sticks around for the party.

The nose presents bakers chocolate and burnt malts, with a sharp sweetness coming in late, somewhere between toffee and a sweet hot chocolate.

Tasty tasty. I don't know what people are complaining about with their talk of overhopping etc. This is predominantly a dark roast coffee flavour, some hops and a burnt bitterness in there as well, but not a dominant flavour. That oatmeal smooths things out giving it a soft finish.

I am quite pleasantly surprised. I didn't know what to expect going in, and it turns out this is a really good oatmeal stout. Highly recommended if you like any of the flavours mentioned above, or this style in general.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Bought a 22 and poured into a stein, that was all my parents had at their house. Guess I better get them a set of glassware for Christmas.

A - Beautiful, rich, black color with a less than impressive brown head. Although, it did leave great color in the lace as I drank my way thru it.

S - Sort of typical stout aroma but I picked up on the alcohol. I didn't get as much oatmeal as I expected.

T - I really enjoyed the roasty flavor. It was a bit more bitter than other stouts I've tasted recently but it was by no means a turn off. Dark chocolate flavor was present on my palate.

M - Lower carb, smooth viscosity,

Overall, a pretty decent oatmeal stout. I'm not an oatmeal stout connessiour but I think it would please most looking to enjoy one over the cold holidays. I would purchase again.

4.04/5  rDev +3.9%

A fine stout, I would like the chocolate finish a bit stronger but over all this is definitely worth visiting again. I wish it was a bit colder this evening, Stouts are perfect for a cold evening and a fireplace. I'll take some back to Texas in January to see what the boys say.

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I bought a bottle of Caboose Oatmeal Stout in a bottle shop. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours an opaque black color with a creamy two-tone mocha colored head.

Smell is a sweet liquor aroma. Like a coffee liquor.

Taste is a roasted grain and chocolate flavor, with a bit a bourbon flavored finish.

Mouthfeel is thick and smooth, slightly cloying, semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste.

Over all a good oatmeal stout. I would have this again.

Had this beer on-tap at the Hooverville in Seattle. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: quite black with a good finger of pillowy dark tan foam. Just right for a stout.

Smell: sweet malt with a good roasty character. It doesn't stand out from the crowd, but it is very competent and well-made.

Taste: big flavor of coffee and a tart but still rich roasted grain character. Some fruity complexity rounds out the flavor nicely -- a tasty beer indeed.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a nicely silky creaminess. I like it.

Overall: a good solid pint of American stout. This is definitely my favorite offering by American Brewing to date.

Served in straight pint glass. Poured solid black, with over an inch of creamy, tan head that had very good retention and nice, sticky lacing.

The aroma was full of rich roasted notes. Bits of coffee and chocolate were noticeable as well. On the tongue the story was pretty much the same. Lots of full roasted goodness.

The body was full and well-rounded, without being heavy or sticky. Drinkability was very good. I rarely want 2 stouts in a row, but I could easily have several of these. A must try if you see it and worth some effort to find.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz into a tulip. Pours a deep rich brown w/ a thin mocha head.

Aroma is rich and chocolatey. Dry cocoa, bitter roasted malt, a hint of dark fruit.

Taste is likewise chocolatey and dry; cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, and bitter roasted malt. Nice sharp bitter bite on the finish.

Mouthfeel is dry and velvety smooth. Goes down easy.

Overall a really nice, easy-drinking oatmeal stout. Well done American.

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%

22-oz bottle into Snow Cap nonic pint glass
served at celler temperature

My wife bought me this for Valentine's Day; about time I pop it open.

A - pitch black body under 4 fingers of bubbly dark tan foam; PERFECT!

S - primarily coffee, some chocolate

T - bitter roast coffee and dark chocolate; malty and bitter; dry warming finish

M - oily medium body; medium/high carbonation

O - Caboose is a decent oatmeal stout. It looks perfect. It smells about right for the style. The taste is on the bitter side, but still pretty good. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style. Definitely worth a try.

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

American Brewing 'Caboose Oatmeal Stout' @ 6.2% , served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $7.25

A-pour is black from bottle to glass with a thin small tan head , which is quickly dissapating leaving a minimal lace ring along the pint

S-mellow roasted oats

T-rich & robust , not creamy

MF-ok/good carbonation , bit thin , almost full bodied

Ov-ok beer , decent oatmeal stout

prost LampertLand

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

So I finally get to try this oatmeal stout! I am a huge oatmeal stout fan, huge! I originally bought 1 of these way back in the beginning of August (it is now Aug 30 '14), but when I tried to pour it into my glass all I got was foam. Literally couldn't drink it, maybe an inch of beer and the rest foam and when I tried to drink it out of the bottle got nose full of foam with no beer. I took it back to the shoppe and they refunded me, then I e-mailed the brewery simply to let them know and they offered to send me 2 bottles for free as replacement. The 2 bottles just got here today.

I was worried! Worried it would happen again, having traveled from Washington to North Carolina and going from hot to cold. But nope, just poured it and it looks great. The perfect dark black stout color with a 2 finger tan head and fine lacing. The smell is primarily coffee chocolate and alcohol. The taste is of this as well, quite good but it has a nice dark chocolate bitter finish. I do like it but I do think it's just a bit too bitter.

I appreciate American Brewing Co.'s willingness to right the wrong!

Overall 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks Jim (youradhere)

S: Sweet chocolate with lots of mocha, roastiness.

L: Thick, black, tan creamy head with a little retention.

T: Roasty coffee and chocolate up front. Medium low bitterness leading to dry cocoa and some roastiness. Fairly dry finish, ashy.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Not bad, fairly dry for the style. Expected a larger body being 7% ABV.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »