Caboose Oatmeal Stout - American Brewing Company

Oatmeal Stout |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: beertunes on 02-28-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.24/5  rDev -44%

Poured out of a bomber. First indication of a problem was the smell--nice roasted notes were infiltrated by an offputing aroma reminiscent of the draft beer at my college's bar.. whose tap lines I'm sure go months at a time without even a glance from a bottle of soap. Taste followed the nose: notes of coffee, but badly tinged by lactobacillus. Too bad, I was looking forward to this one. I suggest that the brewery look into their quality control because, glancing at the other reviews, it appears I am not the first victim of a contaminated bottle of this stout.

2.39/5  rDev -40.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. Bomber. The beer is a dark brown, almost black that allows no light through with a one inch cream colored head. Smell was not like any of the other reviews and the taste was extremely sour. This must be an infected batch. Couldn't finish the glass and ended up as a drain pour.

2.84/5  rDev -29%

Pours into a healthy dark brown, almost black with a creamy brown head. Unfortunately, a clean pour is nigh impossible. Out of a 1p6oz bottle, I was only to get roughly a quarter into my pint glass. This beer is so incredibly over carbonated that after maybe three or four ounces, my glass was full of foam on a soft pour.

The aroma is strong of coffee with light cocoa and earth tones.

On taste, this beer is incredibly bitter, there is almost no balance of hop to sweetness. Initially a strong coffee flavor, finishing roughly with the strong flavor of alcohol. This isn't too strong of a beer, 7% ABV so not only is that surprising, but it's a very weak characteristic.

The mouthfeel is incredibly rough, as this beer is overcarbonated. It's possible that some age will take this off, but as it stands the beer's initial flavor is masked by the carbonation.

Overall, I won't be getting this beer again. Nor can I advise my friends or anyone I know to.

3.2/5  rDev -20%

Thanks to bfg75 for sending me a load of good beer from the PNW, including this extra from a heretoforward unheardoftome brewery. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife.

Pop goes the cap. Rolling goes the fog. Pour - holy shit! Emergency mouth-to-glass after about two ounces foams up like Ole Yeller, boiling up & over the edge. Infected, or overcarbonated? Ten minutes later the bit of beer is ready to be examined. Black. OK. Nose is nice sweet malts, chocolate, but with a dose of earth. Earth? Doesn't seem right.

Just looked up. The remaining eighteen ounces is creeping, creeping down the neck. The foam is about one-third of the way down the bottle. Maybe it's possessed.

Caboose Oatmeal Stout is, shockingly, not infected. At least overtly. I'd have bet against it. What it is, is massively overcarbonated, to the point of obscuring the beer by about 68%. Underneath it matches up with the nose: nice chocolate bite, sweet, but with a previously undetected char that sticks the mid-section. Lingering bitterness. That earthiness sticks its wide-load in, but it's much weaker than in the nose.

Like drinking a champagne stout. There's clearly something off about this beer, but I have a a good whiff of the solid beer underneath. But this bottle is just decent.

3.36/5  rDev -16%

22oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours dark brown nearly black with a big brown head that fades to a ring and leaves lacing on the glass.

S: The nose starts with big notes of cocoa and smoke and then the hops show up in the background.

T: The taste is very similar to the nose with decent notes of chocolate, smoke, and citrusy hops.

M: The feel is medium and creamy.

O: This is a very average, at best, Oatmeal Stout and one I probably would pass up if I saw it on the shelves. Not the biggest fan of too much hops in my stouts and this one had just a bit too much.

3.61/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very deep brown color with a dark beige head in the snifter. Plenty of carbonation though a little weak in the head. Pleasant aroma of chocolate and dark grains. Rich malty flavor but a lighter mouthfeel. Quite sudsy and silky and easy to drink. Not so sweet, with an expansive variety of roasted malt flavors from caramel to blackened. Bitter chocolate in the aftertaste.

Somewhat woody after some sipping. Thoroughly drinkable big stout. A nice balance of sweet malt with the charred barley and bitter hoppy twang. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Wine World and Spirits in north Seattle.

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks Jim (youradhere)

S: Sweet chocolate with lots of mocha, roastiness.

L: Thick, black, tan creamy head with a little retention.

T: Roasty coffee and chocolate up front. Medium low bitterness leading to dry cocoa and some roastiness. Fairly dry finish, ashy.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Not bad, fairly dry for the style. Expected a larger body being 7% ABV.

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Near black with a finger of light brown foam.

S: Lots of chocolate and roast with a little cream. Earthy with more dark chocolate and a light dark fruit presence. Light molasses in the finish with a touch of nuttiness.

T: Bitter dark chocolate with some dark fruits. Low bitterness with a firm roast and some nuttiness. Lots of dark chocolate and molasses in the earthy finish.

M: Medium body, a little thin. Upper medium carbonation.

Overall: A solid Oatmeal Stout.

3.73/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours dark with a nice creamy head. Smells of chocolate and smoke, taste is good but not great, delivering pretty much everything the nose delivered. It feels nice going down and while the flavor is certainly better than average, the overall experience just isn't very exciting. I suppose if I didn't have so experience with stouts, I'd be more impressed. Close, but no cigar...There are just too many other and better efforts in this category.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

So I finally get to try this oatmeal stout! I am a huge oatmeal stout fan, huge! I originally bought 1 of these way back in the beginning of August (it is now Aug 30 '14), but when I tried to pour it into my glass all I got was foam. Literally couldn't drink it, maybe an inch of beer and the rest foam and when I tried to drink it out of the bottle got nose full of foam with no beer. I took it back to the shoppe and they refunded me, then I e-mailed the brewery simply to let them know and they offered to send me 2 bottles for free as replacement. The 2 bottles just got here today.

I was worried! Worried it would happen again, having traveled from Washington to North Carolina and going from hot to cold. But nope, just poured it and it looks great. The perfect dark black stout color with a 2 finger tan head and fine lacing. The smell is primarily coffee chocolate and alcohol. The taste is of this as well, quite good but it has a nice dark chocolate bitter finish. I do like it but I do think it's just a bit too bitter.

I appreciate American Brewing Co.'s willingness to right the wrong!

Overall 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

American Brewing 'Caboose Oatmeal Stout' @ 6.2% , served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $7.25

A-pour is black from bottle to glass with a thin small tan head , which is quickly dissapating leaving a minimal lace ring along the pint

S-mellow roasted oats

T-rich & robust , not creamy

MF-ok/good carbonation , bit thin , almost full bodied

Ov-ok beer , decent oatmeal stout

prost LampertLand

3.91/5  rDev -2.3%

22-oz bottle into Snow Cap nonic pint glass
served at celler temperature

My wife bought me this for Valentine's Day; about time I pop it open.

A - pitch black body under 4 fingers of bubbly dark tan foam; PERFECT!

S - primarily coffee, some chocolate

T - bitter roast coffee and dark chocolate; malty and bitter; dry warming finish

M - oily medium body; medium/high carbonation

O - Caboose is a decent oatmeal stout. It looks perfect. It smells about right for the style. The taste is on the bitter side, but still pretty good. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style. Definitely worth a try.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz into a tulip. Pours a deep rich brown w/ a thin mocha head.

Aroma is rich and chocolatey. Dry cocoa, bitter roasted malt, a hint of dark fruit.

Taste is likewise chocolatey and dry; cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, and bitter roasted malt. Nice sharp bitter bite on the finish.

Mouthfeel is dry and velvety smooth. Goes down easy.

Overall a really nice, easy-drinking oatmeal stout. Well done American.

4/5  rDev 0%

Had this beer on-tap at the Hooverville in Seattle. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: quite black with a good finger of pillowy dark tan foam. Just right for a stout.

Smell: sweet malt with a good roasty character. It doesn't stand out from the crowd, but it is very competent and well-made.

Taste: big flavor of coffee and a tart but still rich roasted grain character. Some fruity complexity rounds out the flavor nicely -- a tasty beer indeed.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a nicely silky creaminess. I like it.

Overall: a good solid pint of American stout. This is definitely my favorite offering by American Brewing to date.

4/5  rDev 0%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured solid black, with over an inch of creamy, tan head that had very good retention and nice, sticky lacing.

The aroma was full of rich roasted notes. Bits of coffee and chocolate were noticeable as well. On the tongue the story was pretty much the same. Lots of full roasted goodness.

The body was full and well-rounded, without being heavy or sticky. Drinkability was very good. I rarely want 2 stouts in a row, but I could easily have several of these. A must try if you see it and worth some effort to find.

4.01/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I bought a bottle of Caboose Oatmeal Stout in a bottle shop. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours an opaque black color with a creamy two-tone mocha colored head.

Smell is a sweet liquor aroma. Like a coffee liquor.

Taste is a roasted grain and chocolate flavor, with a bit a bourbon flavored finish.

Mouthfeel is thick and smooth, slightly cloying, semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste.

Over all a good oatmeal stout. I would have this again.

4.04/5  rDev +1%

A fine stout, I would like the chocolate finish a bit stronger but over all this is definitely worth visiting again. I wish it was a bit colder this evening, Stouts are perfect for a cold evening and a fireplace. I'll take some back to Texas in January to see what the boys say.

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Bought a 22 and poured into a stein, that was all my parents had at their house. Guess I better get them a set of glassware for Christmas.

A - Beautiful, rich, black color with a less than impressive brown head. Although, it did leave great color in the lace as I drank my way thru it.

S - Sort of typical stout aroma but I picked up on the alcohol. I didn't get as much oatmeal as I expected.

T - I really enjoyed the roasty flavor. It was a bit more bitter than other stouts I've tasted recently but it was by no means a turn off. Dark chocolate flavor was present on my palate.

M - Lower carb, smooth viscosity,

Overall, a pretty decent oatmeal stout. I'm not an oatmeal stout connessiour but I think it would please most looking to enjoy one over the cold holidays. I would purchase again.

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Man I love being back in a part of the country where random unknown off the shelf localish beers can turn out to be super delicious.

This one pours a beautiful almost black with a light brown head that sticks around for the party.

The nose presents bakers chocolate and burnt malts, with a sharp sweetness coming in late, somewhere between toffee and a sweet hot chocolate.

Tasty tasty. I don't know what people are complaining about with their talk of overhopping etc. This is predominantly a dark roast coffee flavour, some hops and a burnt bitterness in there as well, but not a dominant flavour. That oatmeal smooths things out giving it a soft finish.

I am quite pleasantly surprised. I didn't know what to expect going in, and it turns out this is a really good oatmeal stout. Highly recommended if you like any of the flavours mentioned above, or this style in general.

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Poured a nice looking deep brownish black color with good carbonation leaving a nice tannish cap

S: Lots of fresh oats, some cocoa and roasted malt

T: Nice. Plenty of roasted malt upfront with oats and cocoa, a little bit of booze, grainy

M: Initial mouthfeel loses a bit of flavor, grains, then some cocoa and oats reappears. heart feel.

O: A good drink and pleasantly surprised

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

Another delicious oatmeal stout I randomly picked up in Bellingham, WA a few weeks ago.

It pours a beautiful pitch black into my pint glass, and a minimal head. The taste is delicious; if you are a fan of the coffee-esque tastes that oatmeal stouts have, give this one a try, you won't be disappointed.

4.2/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a dark black color, nice sized tan head with good lacing
S: Smell is of roasted grain, coffee and slightly of vanilla
T: Roasty grain up front with a big dark roast coffee flavor and earthy hop bite at the end
M: Medium bodied beer, creamy mouthfeel going down
O: This is a great beer, had never heard of this place before but I'm glad I picked this one up and look forward to trying some of their other stuff.

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured 75% of the bomber into a big ol over sized snifter,

A - Color is deep dark roasty brown, near black, poured somewhat aggressively, achieving a finger of dense, nice chocolate colored head, strong retention and lacing.

S - sweet chocolate malts, roasty dark chocolate, mild burnt/smokey aromas,

T - Sweet dark cohoclates, fairly bitter roasty with a nice oat flavor - flavors are rather bright. Little sweet molasses type flavors. Minimally mediciney/alcohol traces but no burn, nicely drinkable.

M - Full bodied, very minimal carbonation and smoooth. Enjoyable to sip but not difficult to drink at a steady pace. Mouthfeel is really ideal.

O - Awesome combination of flavor and ideal mouthfeel. Exceeded expectations.

4.29/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Looks perfect--black with a thick, creamy, dark tan head. Smells of roast and chocolate.

Medium body, creamy. Dry, roasted malt with a touch of coffee and chocolate, earthy hops come in at the end. Dry finish.

Thin head lasts all the way to the bottom of the glass, leaving slight lacing behind.

This is what I want my oatmeal stouts to look and taste like. I will go out of my way to drink this again.

4.32/5  rDev +8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Food Pairing - Chocolate cookie with chocolate chips was pretty good. The natural bitterness of each kind of clashed with one another, but otherwise not a bad pairing.

A - Opaque, so dark it looks black! Powerful foamy head left lovely lacing.
S - Very faint, clean but not much here to entice.
T - Really tasty! Rich oatyness, a bit heavy on the bitter but not off putting. Overall, well balanced between bitterness and malt.
M - Refreshing from the get-go. While this quality can sometimes come with the drawback of a reduced flavor profile, not so in this case! Quite a feat for such a satisfying stout.
O - This brewery's appreciation for the style is evident in this wonderful bit of craft. Highly recommended.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast