Caboose Oatmeal Stout - American Brewing Company

Caboose Oatmeal StoutCaboose Oatmeal Stout

American Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beertunes on 02-28-2011)
3.2/5  rDev -19%

mpalestino, Saturday at 03:17 AM
4.68/5  rDev +18.5%

IsaiahHoogendyk, Sep 02, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

So I finally get to try this oatmeal stout! I am a huge oatmeal stout fan, huge! I originally bought 1 of these way back in the beginning of August (it is now Aug 30 '14), but when I tried to pour it into my glass all I got was foam. Literally couldn't drink it, maybe an inch of beer and the rest foam and when I tried to drink it out of the bottle got nose full of foam with no beer. I took it back to the shoppe and they refunded me, then I e-mailed the brewery simply to let them know and they offered to send me 2 bottles for free as replacement. The 2 bottles just got here today.

I was worried! Worried it would happen again, having traveled from Washington to North Carolina and going from hot to cold. But nope, just poured it and it looks great. The perfect dark black stout color with a 2 finger tan head and fine lacing. The smell is primarily coffee chocolate and alcohol. The taste is of this as well, quite good but it has a nice dark chocolate bitter finish. I do like it but I do think it's just a bit too bitter.

I appreciate American Brewing Co.'s willingness to right the wrong!

Overall 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

SJbigtuna, Jul 13, 2014

sharpski, Jun 25, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a nitro tap into a pint glass. It has a completely black with no light transparency appearance with a solid inch of tan micro sized bubble head. It has a mocha coffee nose. It has a real dark chocolate taste with roasted malt notes. It has a thick and creamy mouth feel. Overall nice oatmeal stout and a nice find.

DKRowden, Apr 14, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

PEIhop, Feb 26, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

Marshman, Feb 15, 2014
3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

Very deep brown color with a dark beige head in the snifter. Plenty of carbonation though a little weak in the head. Pleasant aroma of chocolate and dark grains. Rich malty flavor but a lighter mouthfeel. Quite sudsy and silky and easy to drink. Not so sweet, with an expansive variety of roasted malt flavors from caramel to blackened. Bitter chocolate in the aftertaste.

Somewhat woody after some sipping. Thoroughly drinkable big stout. A nice balance of sweet malt with the charred barley and bitter hoppy twang. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Wine World and Spirits in north Seattle.

mactrail, Feb 11, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

22oz into a tulip. Pours a deep rich brown w/ a thin mocha head.

Aroma is rich and chocolatey. Dry cocoa, bitter roasted malt, a hint of dark fruit.

Taste is likewise chocolatey and dry; cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, and bitter roasted malt. Nice sharp bitter bite on the finish.

Mouthfeel is dry and velvety smooth. Goes down easy.

Overall a really nice, easy-drinking oatmeal stout. Well done American.

draheim, Feb 07, 2014
4.04/5  rDev +2.3%

I bought a bottle of Caboose Oatmeal Stout in a bottle shop. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours an opaque black color with a creamy two-tone mocha colored head.

Smell is a sweet liquor aroma. Like a coffee liquor.

Taste is a roasted grain and chocolate flavor, with a bit a bourbon flavored finish.

Mouthfeel is thick and smooth, slightly cloying, semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste.

Over all a good oatmeal stout. I would have this again.

RJLarse, Feb 03, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured 75% of the bomber into a big ol over sized snifter,

A - Color is deep dark roasty brown, near black, poured somewhat aggressively, achieving a finger of dense, nice chocolate colored head, strong retention and lacing.

S - sweet chocolate malts, roasty dark chocolate, mild burnt/smokey aromas,

T - Sweet dark cohoclates, fairly bitter roasty with a nice oat flavor - flavors are rather bright. Little sweet molasses type flavors. Minimally mediciney/alcohol traces but no burn, nicely drinkable.

M - Full bodied, very minimal carbonation and smoooth. Enjoyable to sip but not difficult to drink at a steady pace. Mouthfeel is really ideal.

O - Awesome combination of flavor and ideal mouthfeel. Exceeded expectations.

MacQ32, Jan 29, 2014
3.76/5  rDev -4.8%

American Brewing 'Caboose Oatmeal Stout' @ 6.2% , served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $7.25

A-pour is black from bottle to glass with a thin small tan head , which is quickly dissapating leaving a minimal lace ring along the pint

S-mellow roasted oats

T-rich & robust , not creamy

MF-ok/good carbonation , bit thin , almost full bodied

Ov-ok beer , decent oatmeal stout

prost LampertLand

LampertLand, Dec 12, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

trytoketchup, Dec 07, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Bought a 22 and poured into a stein, that was all my parents had at their house. Guess I better get them a set of glassware for Christmas.

A - Beautiful, rich, black color with a less than impressive brown head. Although, it did leave great color in the lace as I drank my way thru it.

S - Sort of typical stout aroma but I picked up on the alcohol. I didn't get as much oatmeal as I expected.

T - I really enjoyed the roasty flavor. It was a bit more bitter than other stouts I've tasted recently but it was by no means a turn off. Dark chocolate flavor was present on my palate.

M - Lower carb, smooth viscosity,

Overall, a pretty decent oatmeal stout. I'm not an oatmeal stout connessiour but I think it would please most looking to enjoy one over the cold holidays. I would purchase again.

BVukelich, Nov 29, 2013

Gaffattack, Nov 11, 2013

Hopmodium, Oct 29, 2013

ms11781, Oct 16, 2013
4.06/5  rDev +2.8%

A fine stout, I would like the chocolate finish a bit stronger but over all this is definitely worth visiting again. I wish it was a bit colder this evening, Stouts are perfect for a cold evening and a fireplace. I'll take some back to Texas in January to see what the boys say.

ssteakley, Oct 11, 2013