Tap It IPA - Tap It Brewing Co.

Tap It IPATap It IPA

Tap It Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 03-04-2011

Ratings: 283 | Reviews: 58
3.91/5  rDev +0.8%

Let me start by saying that this beer may be a little past its prime--I picked it up in September while visiting SLO and have had it in my chiller until today, when I have poured the 12-oz bottle into my Delirium snifter.

A: Bright amber (think the stone, not the actually auburn "amber beer" color. Nice clarity of the body with a lick of head that quickly fizzes out to form wisps in the center of the glass and fine lace at the sides.

N: Sweet caramel malt (yeah, I waited to long on this one!) and pine. I remember it having more of a floral nose when I first enjoyed this sixer on the strand fronting Morro Bay.

T/M: Not too bad for an "over the hill" IPA. The palette is mostly dominated by pine with a touch of citrus flavor, that balances well of the sweet caramel malt backing. There is a subtle bitterness on the finish that befits a good IPA, but over all it ends with a crisp and clean flavor.

Not too bad of a beer. I think that if this were around when I was at Poly, it may have been my go to sixer (instead of the never disappointing Double Barrel....when I actually had money, that is). I look forward to trying other styles from this brewery.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

First enjoyed this brew several times at the 2011 SLO County Brews & Bites Fest. Stoked to pick up a sixer now.

*Notes from Christmas Day consumption
12oz with pint glass

A: Tap It IPA pours a clear deep rich caramel color with a choppy one finger khaki tan head. Each sip leaves tracks of lacing upon the glass.

S: Smell is very floral and hoppy with some nice pine accents and a sweet pale malt aroma.

T: Taste has a caramel malt sweetness overall but with a great hoppy spicing. Citrus and pine notes. Definite dry hop presence creates a nice hempy and herbal component. Taste is very similar to Green Flash West Coast IPA. Just as enjoyable. Slightly sweet but rich and tasty with some nice balance.

M: Med body with good carbonation that lends to a lighter crisp finish. Slight sleek mouth coating of hop residues and malted sugars.

D: Rich caramel malt base with a decent dose of hops makes this one for a very enjoyable drinking IPA. I will definitely be seeking this one out again.

Would recommend especially if you are a fan of GF West Coast IPA. Very similar here. Slightly diff hop usage it seems but very easy going down. A bit steep on the price point at $12.99/sixer albeit still delicious.

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%

The haziness was a little disappointing but not terrible. The smell suggested a bitterness that we're come to expect with California IPAs - good pine and grass suggestions. The big surprise came in the taste. The beer was smooth and quite well balanced favoring the hops rather than the malt. Mouth feel was a little thin, but there was little, if any, astringency.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. I could see drinking several at my local pizza parlor or barbeque.

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%

Shared a 6 pack with some friends (peacebone116 and his wife and my wife), sadly didn’t have the option to get an appearance since we drank them from the bottles on a picnic.

A – N/A Since it wasn’t poured into a glass, so I’ll go middle of the road with a 3.

S – A good citrus scent that seems to over power the malt smell all together.

T – This is a good IPA, has a nice hop character with a little malt undertone. The hops are very citrus similar to the nose, the malt is a very mild sweet flavor, but adds some good character.

M – Just like I like them, a good carbonation but not too chewy.

O – Was really impressed with this SLO brew, never had seen it before and I would buy it again. Great example of the style.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle received completely unexpectedly from a generous Californian. Well played Rich!

Pours an opaque deep orange with a massive cloud of sticky off whites: oodles of stickiness here.

Smells of subdued orange juice and a splash on tangerines. C-hops all up in my grill, though some additional dry hopping might help this to pop.

Moderate bitterness and citrus fruits rule the show. Malt takes a backseat to the hops here.

Highly carbonated and medium bodied and sticky. The carbonation makes this fluffy and very easy to drink. I slammed this glass.

Not the most diverse or over the top IPA, but that can be overblown and overdone. I enjoyed this.

3.36/5  rDev -13.4%

Slightly chill hazed orange amber colored beer. This fits the color spectrum I refer to as IPA Orange. Tall light tan colored head.

Smell is strong C type hops biggest scents are grapefruit. Malt exists here as only a vague sweet scent.

Starts out slightly sweet and bitter with a woody aftertaste. Good basic IPA flavor with a woody aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good.

Good drinkability. Not a bad beer but not outstanding either. Essentially an IPA that any good brewer is making a version of.

4.39/5  rDev +13.1%

Slightly hazy caramel amber with a nice thick cap of off-white head. Good retention and lacing. Citric and catty nose, exceedingly potent. It’s rather full-bodied for the style, but the matching full carbonation lends a certain fluffiness to the mouthfeel. Rather than swimming in caramel (my #1 pet peeve about east coast IPAs), it’s very bready with a dry, toasty, and sticky finish. I’ll admit I was pleasantly surprised by the hop character of this beer; there’s a mean, almost angry bitter streak running through it and the hop flavor is an explosive combo of pungent, earthy and grapefruit goodness. The touch of heat is a minor complaint (make that very minor; I killed the growler with alarming ease). A great choice for local hop junkies.

Overall impression: Trifecta joins Sweetwater as the second representative in my top-tier of east-coast IPAs. Well done, guys.

3.4/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from a bottle into a firestone brewing pint glass. An off-white yellowish head tops the brew, about a finger in width with a fluffly texture that leaves thick lacing as it dissipates in moderate time. The body is a dense unfiltered coppery golden haze.

The scents are pretty muted, I think the floral hops and the rich malt blend well together which masks them both. I think some dry-hopping could make this much better.

The flavor is pretty solid, has a nice honey malt backbone and slightly biscuity flavor to it. The hops are pretty mellow, there is a slight bitterness all throughout the taste with a hint of pineapple and citrus undertones.

The mouthfeel is great, it's a rich creamy malty one that goes down smooth. Overall I think it's a solid basic IPA recipe but I feel like there is so much more you could do to this beer to make it awesome.

Tap It IPA from Tap It Brewing Co.