Follow our progress ...

Tap It IPA | Tap It Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
3.8

Tap It IPATap It IPA

Tap It Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

This first wort-hopped IPA has a harmonious explosion of hop flavor and aroma. A hazy head leads drinkers toward a beer rich in citrus and earthy flavors with a smooth and rich finish. The complex floral and citrusy tones from the Citra and Simcoe hops welcome you, while two more aromatic varietals mate perfectly with specialty malts for an unmatched aroma.

Added by ThreeWiseMen on 03-04-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 58 | Ratings: 302
3.91/5  rDev +2.9%

Let me start by saying that this beer may be a little past its prime--I picked it up in September while visiting SLO and have had it in my chiller until today, when I have poured the 12-oz bottle into my Delirium snifter.

A: Bright amber (think the stone, not the actually auburn "amber beer" color. Nice clarity of the body with a lick of head that quickly fizzes out to form wisps in the center of the glass and fine lace at the sides.

N: Sweet caramel malt (yeah, I waited to long on this one!) and pine. I remember it having more of a floral nose when I first enjoyed this sixer on the strand fronting Morro Bay.

T/M: Not too bad for an "over the hill" IPA. The palette is mostly dominated by pine with a touch of citrus flavor, that balances well of the sweet caramel malt backing. There is a subtle bitterness on the finish that befits a good IPA, but over all it ends with a crisp and clean flavor.

Not too bad of a beer. I think that if this were around when I was at Poly, it may have been my go to sixer (instead of the never disappointing Double Barrel....when I actually had money, that is). I look forward to trying other styles from this brewery.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

First enjoyed this brew several times at the 2011 SLO County Brews & Bites Fest. Stoked to pick up a sixer now.

*Notes from Christmas Day consumption
12oz with pint glass

A: Tap It IPA pours a clear deep rich caramel color with a choppy one finger khaki tan head. Each sip leaves tracks of lacing upon the glass.

S: Smell is very floral and hoppy with some nice pine accents and a sweet pale malt aroma.

T: Taste has a caramel malt sweetness overall but with a great hoppy spicing. Citrus and pine notes. Definite dry hop presence creates a nice hempy and herbal component. Taste is very similar to Green Flash West Coast IPA. Just as enjoyable. Slightly sweet but rich and tasty with some nice balance.

M: Med body with good carbonation that lends to a lighter crisp finish. Slight sleek mouth coating of hop residues and malted sugars.

D: Rich caramel malt base with a decent dose of hops makes this one for a very enjoyable drinking IPA. I will definitely be seeking this one out again.

Would recommend especially if you are a fan of GF West Coast IPA. Very similar here. Slightly diff hop usage it seems but very easy going down. A bit steep on the price point at $12.99/sixer albeit still delicious.

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%

The haziness was a little disappointing but not terrible. The smell suggested a bitterness that we're come to expect with California IPAs - good pine and grass suggestions. The big surprise came in the taste. The beer was smooth and quite well balanced favoring the hops rather than the malt. Mouth feel was a little thin, but there was little, if any, astringency.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. I could see drinking several at my local pizza parlor or barbeque.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

Shared a 6 pack with some friends (peacebone116 and his wife and my wife), sadly didn’t have the option to get an appearance since we drank them from the bottles on a picnic.

A – N/A Since it wasn’t poured into a glass, so I’ll go middle of the road with a 3.

S – A good citrus scent that seems to over power the malt smell all together.

T – This is a good IPA, has a nice hop character with a little malt undertone. The hops are very citrus similar to the nose, the malt is a very mild sweet flavor, but adds some good character.

M – Just like I like them, a good carbonation but not too chewy.

O – Was really impressed with this SLO brew, never had seen it before and I would buy it again. Great example of the style.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle received completely unexpectedly from a generous Californian. Well played Rich!

Pours an opaque deep orange with a massive cloud of sticky off whites: oodles of stickiness here.

Smells of subdued orange juice and a splash on tangerines. C-hops all up in my grill, though some additional dry hopping might help this to pop.

Moderate bitterness and citrus fruits rule the show. Malt takes a backseat to the hops here.

Highly carbonated and medium bodied and sticky. The carbonation makes this fluffy and very easy to drink. I slammed this glass.

Not the most diverse or over the top IPA, but that can be overblown and overdone. I enjoyed this.

3.36/5  rDev -11.6%

Slightly chill hazed orange amber colored beer. This fits the color spectrum I refer to as IPA Orange. Tall light tan colored head.

Smell is strong C type hops biggest scents are grapefruit. Malt exists here as only a vague sweet scent.

Starts out slightly sweet and bitter with a woody aftertaste. Good basic IPA flavor with a woody aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good.

Good drinkability. Not a bad beer but not outstanding either. Essentially an IPA that any good brewer is making a version of.

4.39/5  rDev +15.5%

Slightly hazy caramel amber with a nice thick cap of off-white head. Good retention and lacing. Citric and catty nose, exceedingly potent. It’s rather full-bodied for the style, but the matching full carbonation lends a certain fluffiness to the mouthfeel. Rather than swimming in caramel (my #1 pet peeve about east coast IPAs), it’s very bready with a dry, toasty, and sticky finish. I’ll admit I was pleasantly surprised by the hop character of this beer; there’s a mean, almost angry bitter streak running through it and the hop flavor is an explosive combo of pungent, earthy and grapefruit goodness. The touch of heat is a minor complaint (make that very minor; I killed the growler with alarming ease). A great choice for local hop junkies.

Overall impression: Trifecta joins Sweetwater as the second representative in my top-tier of east-coast IPAs. Well done, guys.

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from a bottle into a firestone brewing pint glass. An off-white yellowish head tops the brew, about a finger in width with a fluffly texture that leaves thick lacing as it dissipates in moderate time. The body is a dense unfiltered coppery golden haze.

The scents are pretty muted, I think the floral hops and the rich malt blend well together which masks them both. I think some dry-hopping could make this much better.

The flavor is pretty solid, has a nice honey malt backbone and slightly biscuity flavor to it. The hops are pretty mellow, there is a slight bitterness all throughout the taste with a hint of pineapple and citrus undertones.

The mouthfeel is great, it's a rich creamy malty one that goes down smooth. Overall I think it's a solid basic IPA recipe but I feel like there is so much more you could do to this beer to make it awesome.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Tap It IPA from Tap It Brewing Co.