Fleur De Ferme - The Commons Brewery

good

The Commons Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: vkv822 on 08-05-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

mdaschaf

03-03-2013 22:48:04 | More by mdaschaf
Alieniloquium

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black with a small khaki head. I turn back to the beer and it's magically gone. I swirl it back and it disappears just as quickly. Dark brown. A little transparent at the edges.

Smell - Very floral. Lots of lavender. Herbal notes. A little fruity. Dark roasted malts.

Taste - The chamomile is much more distinct. Lavender behind it. Creamy nutty malts. A little tinge of acidity in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation. Medium body and a little creamy.

Overall - Very floral and spicy. Dominates the flavor in a good way. A little rough and occasionally has an odd combination of flavors.

01-21-2014 00:18:14 | More by Alieniloquium

Eighty

02-24-2014 22:14:26 | More by Eighty
FourLights

4.84/5  rDev +32.6%

I thought I would hate a beer with lavender, chamomile and hibiscus. This beer did not only pleasantly suprise me, but is one of my favorite beers. I go to the commons 2-3 x /month. I have to get the taster try every time I go because there are always so many new things I want to try. I always get this beer on my taster tray because I was always afraid to get an entire glass because I thought it would be too overwhelming. I was very wrong. I have bought several glasses since and can drink many more. The balance of this beer is extraordinary. You will get plentiful amounts of lavender in a very good way. The chamomile and hibiscus are more subdued and compliment the lavender. The mouth feel is superb and is medium bodied. Head retention is average out of the bottle, above average on draft. This beer pairs amazingly with steak, savory meals, lamb with rosemary etc. They also sell this in bottles which is just as great as on tap. Very special beer.

01-14-2013 04:54:08 | More by FourLights
FondueVoodoo

British Columbia (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Poured with a giant 4 fingers or more of head tan head over a nearly jet black brew, held up to the light you can see a ruby red shine.

S: Smell is unique and unlike anything else. Up front with medicinal notes, wet wood, and maltiness with a base note of flowers and dark bread yeasts.

T: The flavour is distinctly medicinal, suggestive of a drink made from roots & dark malts and herbs. It's not distastefully medicinal, but reminds me of a an old fashioned remedy elixir.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate pin pricks of carbonation.

O: A unique flavoured brew that offers an old fashioned style medicinal elixir feel, but is pleasant. It might be a challenge for someone not used to these flavours - but try this with dried date and figs with blue cheese, matched with this brew the flavours shine.

05-18-2013 03:50:03 | More by FondueVoodoo
Birdlegs

05-04-2014 23:10:31 | More by Birdlegs
GlassOfCoffee

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

06-15-2014 22:04:32 | More by GlassOfCoffee
vkv822

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Dark farmhouse ale with hibiscus, lavender and chamomile.

on-tap at Belmont Station.
from notes.
tulip snifter.

Arrives a dark chocolate brown with a creamy, light brown head. Looks very much like a stout.

Extremely floral and lightly herbal/spicy in the nose and palate. Quite enjoyable. Faint roasty char backing.

Medium body, with prickly, medium carbonation.

I really enjoyed this one. While quite floral and herbal, I didn't find it overwhelming.

08-05-2012 00:11:22 | More by vkv822
davey101

Connecticut

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Thanks bstyle!

A - Pours a dark and murky brown color. Three fingers of mocha foam forms and fizzles away like any soured/infected stout I have encountered. I hate to draw this comparison since I'll be using it in the aroma and taste category....but cola. This look like a god damn glass of Coke.

S - This has that distinct cola like aroma to it, which is followed by herbs, flowers, and some peppercorn. Not bad, in fact its almost nice. Just not what I was expecting at all.

T - Coke with Flowers. What is going on!? It even has some cola-like twang to it. Finishes again with peppers, lavender, and hibiscus. It was a bit much at first but letting it sit for a while really smooths it out. Good, but very different.

M - Oddly enough, NOT cola like. Light carbonation and a thin to medium body.

O - This was a very unusual concept. I'm sure its just my taste buds here, but this was like a Coke variety featuring flowers and herbs. I'm struggling to finish the bottle but it is certainly worth the try considering how unique it us.

04-21-2013 04:46:24 | More by davey101
HuskyinPDX

3.61/5  rDev -1.1%

Bottle opened on 1.31.13

A - Pours a very dark brown with a fizzy three inch light brown head that fades pretty quickly.

S - Very spicy, lavender, corriander, chamomille, hibicus on the label.

T - A quick hit of spices, thenm some roasted coffee, and finishes with a dry herbal taste.

D - Good carbonation with a medium-light body.

O - Spicy and dark, farmhouse, but not my favorite Commons beer.

02-18-2013 05:07:36 | More by HuskyinPDX
sclitch

Alberta (Canada)

01-06-2014 19:26:38 | More by sclitch
vermilcj

05-13-2014 00:54:08 | More by vermilcj
draheim

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

750mL into a tulip. Pours a deep translucent mahogany brown w/ a nice fluffy head, patchy lace, lively carbonation.

Aroma is fruity, sweet, floral. Lots of perfumy/herbal notes, lavender the most pronounced. Extra points for being unique.

Taste is likewise sweet and flowery, you can almost taste the dusty pollen. Ripe berries, sweet candied fruit, herbal tea. I'm not a huge fan of putting lots of exotic ingredients in beer, and I can't say this one works tremendously well. Still, I like the beer well enough and I can't judge it too harshly for being what it is.

Body is light and crisp, with a lingering floral aftertaste. Semi-dry finish.

Overall an interesting beer that I wouldn't have pegged for a saison/farmhouse ale if it didn't say it right on the label. I wouldn't pick this one up again but I'm glad I had a chance to try it.

04-02-2014 01:30:30 | More by draheim
mactrail

2.78/5  rDev -23.8%

At first taste, my thought was this is the most revolting *not spoiled* beer I have ever had. I mean, it's make perfectly well, it's clean, but the overpowering herbal flavor is just loathsome. I'm all for interesting ingredients and flavorings, but this does not work.

Color is an inviting dark brown with a big head in the Stella Artois goblet. Intense bitter medicinal taste with an off-putting sweet undertone. Candied crab apples with tonic water. Cinnamon pickles with aspirin. Burnt butterscotch with cherry cough syrup. I hope it is the hops that add so much bitterness, but I can only think of the Chinese medicinal wine I was fool enough to try.

Interestingly, the palate seems to deaden after some sipping. I suppose you could drink this. No you, not me.

08-17-2014 05:08:58 | More by mactrail

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

01-01-2014 04:11:03 | More by AlexFields
UCLABrewN84

3.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle pour at the bottle share held at Chloe's inside Golden Road Brewing in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a clear dark crimson-brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt and lots of herbal, spice, and floral aromas. Taste is much the same with herbal and floral flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with some interesting aromas and flavors.

04-06-2013 06:08:19 | More by UCLABrewN84