The Commons Brewery
Active Beers: 47
Beer Ratings: 612
Beer Avg: 3.81
Taps: 8 / Bottles: -
Cask: N / Beer-to-Go: Y
Ratings: 7 | Reviews: 5 | Show All Ratings:
4.06/5 rDev -5.8%
vibe: 5 | quality: 4 | service: 3.75 | selection: 4 | $$$
The commons is yet another awesome brewery to hit on the east side of the willamette. The cool thing about the commons is their tasting room, they just have some barrels setup around their brewing facility where people stand around the fermenters and enjoy some of the best Belgian style beers in the Northwest. They have a similar feel to Upright in my opinion, both are 2 really great Portland breweries. They have bottles for sale at the brewery which may be a tad cheaper than you can find them around town. Overall their prices are a bit high but like most Belgian style breweries this is the case. One of my favorite breweries on the east side of the river.
11-19-2013 18:44:48 | More by loren01
4/5 rDev -7.2%
vibe: 4 | quality: 4 | service: 4 | selection: 4 | $$
Swung in on our way back towards downtown. Make sure to check hours if you plan on going as they are limited.
We showed up about 20 minutes before they were supposed to open, but the young man working welcomed us in and served us up anyways. Very friendly, very helpful and just a pleasant guy. They had roughly 10 beers on tap, all of which we tried in a sampler tray. High quality farmhouse and sour beers which aren't typically my thing, but I did enjoy trying them, especially the farmhouse brews. They did also have an oatmeal stout on which would fit the bill for many.
They only had four stools in the whole place, but several tables to use. This is literally on the brewery floor, which I thought was pretty cool for an atmosphere. Simple and very casual, reasonable prices and something different from most of the other breweries in Portland. A worthy stop.
06-22-2013 03:04:53 | More by jera1350
4.03/5 rDev -6.5%
vibe: 4.25 | quality: 4 | service: 4 | selection: 4 | $$
pretty cool tasting room - buried in a modern warehouse building, <10 minute walk from cascades. Big, airy and bursting with light. Seating amongst the tanks. A good selection of their beer on tap - Boysen was a nice treat. We enjoyed this - had been meaning to swing through. The Commons makes consistently solid stuff and I have to imagine their breakthrough into "exceptional" is somewhere around the corner
04-22-2013 21:06:16 | More by dirtylou
4.97/5 rDev +15.3%
vibe: 4.75 | quality: 5 | service: 5 | selection: 5 | $
The commons brewery is by far one of the best breweries in Oregon. They are thinking outside the box with every beer that they produce. They have taken traditional belgian inspired beers and have transformed them into a style unto their own. They have truly made something special.
1. Atmosphere- You are literally in the brewery at this place. You are part of the process in terms of being able to view active fermentation. Beers are visibly being aged in oak barrels, bourbon barrels etc. The brewers are there on a regular basis interacting with customers. The only downside is that the brewery is open Thurs, Fri, sat for limited hours. I wish they were open seven days a week, obviously for selfish reasons.
2. Quality speaks for itself. You have to try it for yourself to appreciate the thought that goes into this beer.
3. Service- The brewers are there and are friendly, helpful, and personable. The bartender/server/ beer expert Travis is kick ass.
4. Selection: We go there 2-3 x/ month and their taplist is constantly changing, there is always something that is new and awesome
5. Food : they offer no food, however there is a customer that brings homemade bread every friday that is delicious.
01-14-2013 04:36:45 | More by FourLights
4.6/5 rDev +6.7%
vibe: 4 | quality: 5 | service: 5 | selection: 4 | $$
The Commons was super hard to find but it was cool when we finally approached it. The interior is the brewery. It's not much of a taproom. There is a bar and there are some tables in various spots to enjoy your beer at. No seats. Standing room only but provides a good vibe with the barrels, etc. surrounding.
The beer is excellent. Some of the best beer being put out in Portland currently. The selection is pretty solid. All Commons beers of course. Lots to try. Regulars and specials.
The staff were super friendly on my visit. Very courteous and attentive.
Paid with Square so that was a plus. I love technology. The beer is exceptional.
09-10-2012 23:34:48 | More by djbreezy
The Commons Brewery in Portland, OR
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.