Lil' Helper - Mother's Brewing Company

Lil' HelperLil' Helper

Mother's Brewing Company visit their website
Missouri, United States

You’re in for a helluva burly bite with this one. Mother’s India Pale Ale is aggressively hopped in both the wort kettle and aging vessel for a sharp, clean bitterness and fragrant citrus hop flavors. We've instilled a mellow malt character as the backbone to balance the elevated alcohol and hop levels IPA lovers crave. Whether you’re an IPA loyalist or just sampling, you've found yourself a great beer. So spend some quality time with Mother’s Lil’ Helper.

(Beer added by: StLThrash on 08-29-2011)
DustinHermesch

1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

06-25-2014 22:41:01 | More by DustinHermesch
DW_and_my_boy_Jones

1.74/5  rDev -54%

My boy Jones borrowed a power washer from the engineering manager where we work. We took it back after work one afternoon (very warm early summer day), and, being British, he had to invite us in for a beer (the Brit's are so nice). He served us a Lil' Helper (his favorite beer) in a pint glass. The beer looked very appealing, but it lost it's appeal to me very quickly! Now, I thought this was God awful, but Jones liked it okay. I have since had other IPA's in an attempt to "expand" my horizons, but I can't stomach it. To me, it has a 'skanky-beer' taste to it. One thing about it though - that high ABV sure did help things! Hell, after we left, my boy Jones had to go buy another six-pack! I bought myself a Jack Daniels and Diet Coke pre-mixed drink (pint aluminum bottle) in order to get the taste out of my mouth!

I love some of Mother's Brewing Company's other brews (and we are Missouri boys), but I won't purchase this one again...I guess I am not sophisticated enough for the IPA crowd!

03-26-2014 17:46:31 | More by DW_and_my_boy_Jones
Kpitevl

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

08-13-2012 01:35:45 | More by Kpitevl
Schlafly33

03-10-2014 12:31:54 | More by Schlafly33
DouglasRHenderson

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

The Lil' Helper is a very weak IPA and generally poor quality beer.

With a rich burnt orange color and a good head, Lil' Helper deceives visually what its sub-par performance on the tongue quickly reveals. This beer is virtually flavorless, which may be exactly what Mother's was going for but which leaves the patron unfulfilled.

09-07-2013 22:28:39 | More by DouglasRHenderson

08-27-2012 21:29:37 | More by AllHailBeercules
Beaver13

Colorado

2.65/5  rDev -29.9%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy light golden amber with a medium creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is biscuity malts and sugary candied tropical fruits and a little resiny hops.

The flavor is sweet vegetal biscuity malts and some ripe tropical fruit with a resiny grassy hop finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK IPA. I don't really care for the mix of flavors.

08-16-2013 03:10:34 | More by Beaver13

djre4orm

06-13-2013 18:24:16 | More by djre4orm
zeledonia

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

Picked this up on a trip through Kansas City. Tasted 22 February 2013.

Pours a medium orangey amber, clear. Half finger of whitish head, okay retention, nice lacing. Not bad, nothing special.

Smell is faint and totally lacking in hop pop or bite. This is an IPA? Could have fooled me. Mild caramel malt background is most of what I get, with a very thin layer of citrus on top.

Tastes like a bland pale ale with a dash of bitter. It's a thick bitterness, weighing down my tongue. Other than that, it's grainy and slightly sweet. Okay; kinda dull.

Feel is fine. Medium-bodied, carbonation swelling up with loads of little bubbles, then drifting away like a receding wash of wave on the beach. Fine stuff.

This is one of those blah IPAs that I think many breweries crank out to fill the style checklist. Not impressive in any way, but I suppose I can tell from the taste that it's an IPA, and it doesn't taste bad. Not one I'd look for again, though, with so many more hop-forward and tastier ones around.

02-23-2013 02:37:27 | More by zeledonia

KegsAndEggs

07-30-2014 19:51:07 | More by KegsAndEggs
MBrausen

3.3/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A. Pours a dark honey gold, 2 fingers of crystal whit foam, resides to a very fluffy uneven and dimpled head with nice lacing.

S. Smells of sweet citrus and orange peel.

T. Tastes of citrus, very tart and a little bitter. Not very complex. Pretty straight forward.

M. Medium thin body, lightly carbonated, very dry finish.

O. An okay beer. Nothing amazing or impressive. But okay to have a few of around a campfire. But it's not anything special.

01-25-2012 02:22:12 | More by MBrausen
soju6

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

On Tap at the brewery.

A: Pours a dark copper color with a good head that fades slowly to decent lacing.

S: Clean aroma of citrus, bit of fruit and bit of malt sweetness.

T: Taste is a bit tart then a bit of caramel sweetness. Nice bitterness and a dry finish.

F: medium body, crisp and quite smooth.

O: Nice drinker good for a few. Not an overly engineered beer, just a nice straight ahead IPA.

05-21-2012 16:06:49 | More by soju6
htomsirveaux

3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

12 oz. bottle tried 11 Dec 2011. Served in the Schlafly shaker pint.

Medium sized dark beige head. Medium carbonation. Clear dark amber in color. Aroma is sweet and resiny with a touch of butterscotch. Starts sweetly orange and resiny. Citrus throughout. Medium body, moderate ethanol. Lingering citric bitter finish. Aftertaste is orangey bittersweet.

Not bad, but when SN Torpedo is available for the same price...

03-21-2012 02:56:21 | More by htomsirveaux