Lil' Helper - Mother's Brewing Company

Lil' HelperLil' Helper

Mother's Brewing Company visit their website
Missouri, United States

You’re in for a helluva burly bite with this one. Mother’s India Pale Ale is aggressively hopped in both the wort kettle and aging vessel for a sharp, clean bitterness and fragrant citrus hop flavors. We've instilled a mellow malt character as the backbone to balance the elevated alcohol and hop levels IPA lovers crave. Whether you’re an IPA loyalist or just sampling, you've found yourself a great beer. So spend some quality time with Mother’s Lil’ Helper.

(Beer added by: StLThrash on 08-29-2011)

1.5/5  rDev -60.1%

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

1.74/5  rDev -53.7%

My boy Jones borrowed a power washer from the engineering manager where we work. We took it back after work one afternoon (very warm early summer day), and, being British, he had to invite us in for a beer (the Brit's are so nice). He served us a Lil' Helper (his favorite beer) in a pint glass. The beer looked very appealing, but it lost it's appeal to me very quickly! Now, I thought this was God awful, but Jones liked it okay. I have since had other IPA's in an attempt to "expand" my horizons, but I can't stomach it. To me, it has a 'skanky-beer' taste to it. One thing about it though - that high ABV sure did help things! Hell, after we left, my boy Jones had to go buy another six-pack! I bought myself a Jack Daniels and Diet Coke pre-mixed drink (pint aluminum bottle) in order to get the taste out of my mouth!

I love some of Mother's Brewing Company's other brews (and we are Missouri boys), but I won't purchase this one again...I guess I am not sophisticated enough for the IPA crowd!

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a shaker. Generous off white head, lacing throughout tasting. A deep golden/orange liquid fills my glass...clear but deep.

Citrus orange peel on the nose. Some light floral melds with a hint of pine...a touch of sweet malty bread finishes it off.

First swallow...perfect carbonation, a heavy mouth feel that isn't thick but layering flavor across my tongue. The sweetness of mandarin orange blends effortlessly with a hint of the bitterness of grapefruit and the subtle notes of pine. A quick finish follows...the hoppy dryness is overcome by a creamy sweet honeysuckle burst.

At 7% this is an incredibly smooth drinking IPA. Great hop profile dances with the sweetness of honey and bread...a really easy beer to swallow, clean and refreshing. I will buy again and look forward to more beers from Mother's.

Lil' Helper from Mother's Brewing Company