Winter Grind - Mother's Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 186 | Reviews: 43
Reviews by Goosehunter75:
3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Pours a dark chocolate with a large 2 1/2 finger dark tan head. The head retention on this beer is very good but the lacing is about average

S - Lighter aroma than I anticapted but still a nice smellnig beer. Mainly coffee upfront. It does smell sweet with hints of chocolate int he back.

T - Lots going on in this beer. It tastes much like an iced coffee to me. Very enjoyable and refreshing. There are also undertones of chocolate and caramel present. Nicely done

M - Very good mouthfeel in this beer aswell. Its both creamy and think but goes down very smooth.

O - A great beer! Cant wait to pick this one up again. Great use of coffee as it seems balanced perfectly with the malts. A very refreshing beer as well. It'll be great around a campfire this winter!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance: Beer pours very dark brown with minimal head
Smell: This beer has the strongest coffee smell of any beer I've ever had. I can only pick up coffee, which is not a bad thing.
Taste: Once again, a very coffee forward tasting brew. No real sweetness, and bitterness comes from the coffee. Not a full bodied brew, but good, easy drinking. I wouldn't term it a stout though, because I did not pick up any roasted malt elements.
Overall: I really think that Mother's did a wonderful job with this beer. This is a beer that tastes like drinking an iced coffee, spot on. I would pick up another 6 pack.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz bottle, Boulevard tulip, no visible freshness dating (Mother's usually stamps a Julian date according to Fresh Beer Only).

It's an opaque Stout, with just a dollop of garnet in the divot of the glass above the stem. The head is dark oatmeal colored, thick and like crema.

Sweetened, silky espresso nose. It has that hint of charcoal, like another instant in the oven would have burned the beans, but the brewer and roaster knew what they were doing.

It remains all about the coffee and an almost perfect balance of dark seductive espresso, sweetness, and a dairy note that teases half and half and melds with the burnt caramel, clean sugar sweetness.

This has none of the sludgy thick characteristics of dark mean espresso, but the dairy note invades the texture as well, with a smooth richness for a relatively small beer. A bit like an Oatmeal Stout, but not chewy.

I have not had a coffee beer for awhile, but this is very possibly the best I've had. It is completely coffee-centric with a wonderfully fresh-brewed flavor.

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

Strong coffee and not much else in the aroma, as it should be. A little bite from the carbonation. The coffee flavor is a bit mellower than the aroma would have you expect, but it lingers. Oatmeal in the background. Bitterness more from coffee than hops.

Straightforward coffee stout. Not much else going on other than the coffee. I'm not saying that's bad, but that's what it is.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Had this on tap at LL Sayers in Joplin, MO.

Poured black with mocha head. Had Good head retention & sticky lacing

S: Coffee, coffee grounds & Baker's chocolate

T: Rich coffe presence up front with some carob & chocolate notes, plus a bit of woody hop presence, Coffee & cocoa flavor blend with some herbal & woody hop bitterness

MF: Much creamier than the bottled version, nice full body on it as well

This was way easier to drink on tap. I could either session on this or polish of some dessert, either way I would be happy

3.67/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown, bordering black color with a finger of tan head.

Heavy coffee aroma and an off scent of hot wax.

Coffee flavor with not much depth. The finish is wet cardboard.

It's a small stout. Mouthfeel is thin for the style and some more body could have supported the big coffee flavor better.

Overall, it was a ok beer. It had good coffee flavor but no complexity to it and it drank light.

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours black with a finger of light tan head that fades into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: Roasted malts with bold coffee aromas with some sweet chocolate mixed in as well. Simple, but nice.

T: Roasted malts and bitter coffee dominate the flavor, more bitter than the aroma. The bitterness gives it a charred flavor toward the end.

M: Medium body with lowish carbonation, this beer is a bit watery in the mouth.

O: A pretty decent stout, overall. It's simple, but smells good and tastes nice. It's a little too bitter on the tongue and could use a creamier body, but still a good beer that makes for easy drinking.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

I have been looking at Mother's Brewing products for a while, wondering if they are legit. I have seen them in a lot of stores, just have not really ever tried them on for size. This is my first Mother's experiment, kind of excited. Had no idea they were in Springfield, MO, which is n't too far from here. May be a day trip one day to go check out the goods. Anyway, side poured from the bottle into a Boulevard snifter.

Appearance - Black as coffee, true to name, with a small head that quickly evaporates, but this is usually the case with stouts. A small amount of lacing present. Love the packaging on all Mother's products.

Smell - Coffee dominates the nose from front to back. In fact, I have a hard time picking anything else out of the nose but the overwhelming coffee smell. Not that it is a bad thing, because although I hate the taste of coffee, I love the smell. I just wish it could be more balanced, so I knocked it a little here.

Taste - Again, coffee! Again, not that it is entirely a bad thing either! Coming from a guy who doesn't like coffee, this brew is done good enough where I actually really enjoy the taste. A small sidenote of chocolate and roasted malts can be vaguely detected, but mostly it is coffee.

Mouthfeel - I would like to see them make this stout a little less carbonated and watery. Bulk up the consistency some, make it creamier and thicker. Man this would be a formidable stout then. Medium carbonation, kind of light bodied for the style.

Overall - I would certainly recommend this beer, and will absolutely try it again. I could see this beer being a hit at parties, as it would be an excellent accompaniment to chocolate, tiramisu, or other dishes. They also suggested on the bottle to try it with vanilla bean ice cream for a Mother's float. Nice. I may have to give that a shot. Try this beer, especially if you like coffee, I think you will enjoy it!

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle with no noticeable date into a snifter. Gentle pour that produced a half finger of quickly fading head.

Appearance: Pitch black with tiny carbonation bubbles floating at the top. Poured with a half finger head that quickly faded away. Gentle lacing stays on the side of the glass.

Smell: Roasted coffee, dark malts, chocolate, cocoa, caramel, espresso, dark fruit

Taste: Smooth coffee bean, hint of vanilla creaminess

Overall: Fantastic coffee stout.. Not too big of a beer, but just the right amount of flavor. Perfect for a cool winter night.

4.04/5  rDev +3.9%

January 26, 2015

12 oz bottle, snifter

A – Pours moderately inky, black, with some high viscosity. Less than a cm of khaki bubbles settle on top and then dissipate quickly.

S – Freshly pressed coffee of a medium-dark roast, absolutely the primary aroma. Very roasty, almost heading toward chicory. A light touch of chocolate. Hop aroma is hiding behind the coffee but contributing some bitterness on the nose.

T – Like a lightly carbonated, dark, iced coffee. The roasted malts are very strong. Very light hop flavor is earthy, mostly contributing mild bitterness on the back end.

M – Light carbonation and fairly full. Sweetness is low in favor of the roasted bitterness, and hop bitterness is mild. Fairly well-balanced, all in all. Very dry throughout, with lingering bitterness on the aftertaste.

O – For a straight-forward coffee beer, this is dang good, drinkable with breakfast. Not a ton of complexity, no hidden agenda. Just exactly what it is.

4.06/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It's not winter, but it is raining and cold. Thanks B & M for bringing this back directly from the Brewery and sharing.
"Sip away the season with Mother's Winter Grind. We've combined the rich goodness of a stout with our cold-brewed espresso blend, roasted for us by our coffee loving neighbors at the Mudhouse. The result is a wintery treat that'll give coffee and beer lovers a reason to cheer! Hungry? Goes great with steak & eggs or treats like tiramisu & chocolate cake. Or grab some vanilla bean ice cream for a Winter Grind float!"

Poured jet black color with a thin, light brown head of foam. Good head retention, left chunks of lace on the glass. Strong espresso coffee aroma, roasted malts, and a touch of smoke.
Full coffee flavor, rich creamy and smooth. Some cocoa/chocolate, One of the best coffee stouts I have had in a long time.
Medium bodied pushing to full, but not cloying. Suprisingly smooth and easy to drink.
Would love to try it straight of the tank, maybe a trip to Springfield is in order.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

I got a relatively fresh six pack of this to enjoy and poured into a goblet-shaped claret glass.

Look: Very dark but when held up to the light a reddish hue glows at the edges of the glass. The head is quite tan and this baby laces like a Guinness. The color itself instantly reminded me of Coke, but a bit darker.

Smell: Very robust dark coffee and roasty toasty goodness that carries notes of toffee, black tea, and vanilla. It smells exactly like a delicious cup of espresso.

Taste: The taste is everything you'd want from both a cup of coffee and a stout; nice and bitter-sweet coffee with big amounts of classic stout malts. I also get semi-sweet chocolate, caramel, vanilla, licorice, and flutters of dark fruits. Delicious.

Feel: Quite smooth and pleasant, with a bit of lingering on the back of the palate.

Overall: Delicious! I can't wait to have this one in the morning just like a cup of coffee. It really is one of the best stouts I've had, let alone coffee stouts!

1.41/5  rDev -63.8%

It tasted like burnt coffee. Moreover, the not weak but not super strong malt was not enough to mask the awful coffee flavoring. I'll own up to chugging this one when I realized it was not going to get better. I practically never chug craft beers, but I'm poor, I was at a party, and I could not handle another second of the bitter, burnt coffee stout. Maybe this is just me, but I cannot do crap coffee. I don't expect or get super nice stuff. But if it's burnt or completely bitter. That's a non-option. It will never taste good to me. No matter the amount of creamer, or in this case, malt.

2.36/5  rDev -39.3%

This last winter (around November 2013), me and my boy Jones were trying to find another good, dark, winter-time brew. I had been noticing all of the different "coffee" stouts available, and decided I would try to locate one locally (here in no-wheres-ville Missouri, these kind of beers are not easy to find). But, to my surprise, a couple of our local beer-buying establishments had Mother's Brewing Company's Winter Grind...needless to say, Jones and I bought us a six-pack on one of those cold winter days!

We both took a drink of this brew at the same time...I really don't know how to describe what happened next. My boy Jones looked at me with a look that is very hard to describe...you know, that look that you might have if your favorite lady made you something new to eat, and you take a bite, and you really want to spit it out, but you are trying to put on a pleasant face? THAT LOOK. I wasn't so subtle...I think the words I said was "holy" something! I gotta tell ya, this beer was God awful...I'm sorry, because all of the reviews of this product seem to give it a high mark, and I love coffee....but I could barely finish it. My boy Jones finished it, but choked it down. It is now almost the first of April 2014, and I still have two of these beers in my beer fridge - and the only way I was able to drink the other two was to mix it with Bud Select to thin it out....I know, I know, but I can only tell the truth!

The color of the beer is outstanding...but it went downhill after that for me. Me and my boy Jones are Missouri boys, and we enjoy several of the Mother's Brewing Company beers, but we will not buy this one ever again....maybe coffee stouts are not for us!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown almost ruby colored. Nice brown head, immediately there are hints of coffee, cream, sugar, brown sugar some cinnamon. I like it. It has a nice mouthful and finishes rather smooth. This is Mother's best beer although their IPA is up there as well. Wished they had this year round.

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours an opaque ruby-tinted chocolate brown topped with a large foamy tan head.

Nose is full of roasted coffee beans with a touch of vegetal green pepper that always seems to accompany coffee beers. Though there is coffee flavor added, which usually detracts from a beer, there is clearly a lot of actual coffee used, so the "natural flavor" twang is thankfully missing. A bit of chocolate and roasted grain underneath, but the coffee is the big player.

The base stout comes through more on the palate, with a pretty big dose of caramel malt, alongside coffee beans, roasted malt, and a touch of grassy hops. Well balanced, and the best non-imperial coffee stout I've tried.

3.01/5  rDev -22.6%

Thin black with a wispy ligh tan head of a finger. Translucent edges. Doesn't stick around too long. Not much for lacing either. A rather bland looking stout to b honest.

Full on coffee aroma. Not a coffee drinker, but the strength of the aroma alone here is enough to get u going in the morning. Difficult to pick up much more, but coffee is what they were aiming for and it was a bullseye. I still have to have some barley in my stouts tho.

No surprise. Coffee and roasted notes. Smooth with no astringent roasted character or acidity commonlyp seen of the style. Straifhtforward with some sweet layers here and there.

M- Was too thin for my liking. So thin it's more of a cold coffee with no cream than a stout if there were no alcohol. Missed the mark here.

O- coffee lovers should seek out. I've enjoyed many o coffee stouts, but this one lacked the depth, complexity and character of many others. A lil too heavy on the adjuncts.

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Enjoyed on 12/6/13 from a stubby brown bottle with no dating that remember, but I do know for a fact that this is from the 2013 release of this Mother's seasonal. Poured into a 16 oz standard tumbler glass.

Appearance - Pours a midnight black body with ample two finger khaki head comprised of dense, microbubble foam. Takes a few minutes to dissipate, initially leaving faint sheets of lacing around the edge and a consistent, rather thick film of foam covering the body. As I drink it down, there is a consistent amount of lacing that is dense up near the top of the glass, but becomes more mottled and sparse as it gets closer to the liquid.

Smell - Dominated by fresh espresso, drip coffee, roasted malts and even some fainter hints of bittersweet chocolate, but that last part is harder to pick up. This bad boy is all coffee beer, based on the nose.

Taste - This one could be described, quite succinctly, as carbonated iced coffee. The element from the beans is just so prevalent that it really dominates anything else. It lacks a complexity, but in my experience, if you're reaching for a coffee beer, you aren't going to be disappointed with something that tastes like you're drinking straight-up coffee.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, but it's perhaps on the light side for a stout. Certainly a little thinner than another super popular stout with coffee that shall remain nameless (non barrel-aged). Carbonation is moderate--plenty to give this beer some notes of interest in the texture department. Finish is semi-sweet, as one might expect from the style.

Overall, this is an excellent coffee stout, and one that is reasonably priced and low enough in ABV that I could have a couple or few and not be done for the night. Certainly an acceptable part-time substitute for said other coffee stout, given the price and availability. Mother's seems to be putting out quite a few tasty beers these days.

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L- 1 inch brown head, dark opaque espresso like look.

S- Espresso, roated marshmallow, dark fruit.

T- over the top espresso, burnt malt and heavy stout flavors.

F- watery cappuccino like carbonation.

O- the smell and look of this beer was deceiving to me. The overwhelming taste and thin feel was a letdown!

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Pours a black color with a small tan head that fades to some lacing.

S: Fresh aroma of coffee, dark chocolate with some roasted malt thrown in.

T: Taste follows the aroma with coffee, roasted malt with bittersweet chocolate. Mild bitterness and a dry finish.

F: Medium body, smooth and creamy, nicely balanced.

O: Easy drinker. good for a few. A quality beer from a small regional brewer.

3.47/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a black color. 1/4 inch head of a tan color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of strong and fresh coffee, hint of roasted malt, hint of alcohol, and slight toffee. Fits the style of an American Stout. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong coffee, slight sweet malt, and a hint of roasted malt. Overall, coffee in both aroma and body was astonishing. The blend was lacking though, as the coffee over-powered all other aspects.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Poured an opaque, jet black color with a thin, light brown head of foam. It left sudsy trails of lace on the glass.

S - Strong espresso aroma with a robust roastiness.

T - Great coffee flavor with notes of chocolate, strong raosted malt and a touch of piney bitterness.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a clean finish.

O - This is a really good coffee stout. Mother's has done very well with this one. Highly recommended.

4.76/5  rDev +22.4%

I am going to keep this brief. coffee stouts hold a huge place in my heart, and this is my favorite of the genre. good feel in the mouth. a very upfront coffee in your face smell, yet the coffee notes are cradled to bed by the smoothest and cleanest swallow I have found yet with a coffee stout. semi sweet chocolates with fill the back of your palate, while covering the rest with smokey, and roasty pine nut aromas.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

A really nice looking stout thanks to its luscious head; it’s thick and creamy and tan. The brew shows some ruby highlights in an otherwise black body.

Mother’s really nailed the coffee aroma on this. This is what I want to smell! And how cool the Mudhouse provided the beans! Coffee notes are complemented by chocolate notes.

Coffee flavor is equally nailed. It’s not overpowering, nor is it lacking—just right. Body also gets high marks for feeling full and velvety, though it’s not actually thick or syrupy. The finish is nice and dry, with a slight woodsy flavor.

This is only my second Mother’s beer, and it outshines Three Blind Mice. It’s a stellar coffee stout, and I really like it. I’m happy to have tried it, and I’ll have to pick up a six-pack of next year’s release.

4.11/5  rDev +5.7%

Very solid coffee stout from Mother's. The aroma is insanely powerful, if you're a coffee-lover, this is right up your alley. All rich espresso and bold notes. The taste is a bit sweeter but very much in balance, and everything else is well-crafted. A very easy-drinking coffee stout.

to view more.