Winter Grind - Mother's Brewing Company

Winter GrindWinter Grind

Mother's Brewing Company visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Sip away the season with Mother's Winter Grind. We've combined the rich goodness of a stout with our cold-brewed espresso blend, roasted for us by our coffee loving neighbors at the Mudhouse. The result is a wintery treat that'll give coffee and beer lovers a reason to cheer!

(Beer added by: TippySelenoid on 11-03-2011)

2.3/5  rDev -40.7%

This last winter (around November 2013), me and my boy Jones were trying to find another good, dark, winter-time brew. I had been noticing all of the different "coffee" stouts available, and decided I would try to locate one locally (here in no-wheres-ville Missouri, these kind of beers are not easy to find). But, to my surprise, a couple of our local beer-buying establishments had Mother's Brewing Company's Winter Grind...needless to say, Jones and I bought us a six-pack on one of those cold winter days!

We both took a drink of this brew at the same time...I really don't know how to describe what happened next. My boy Jones looked at me with a look that is very hard to describe...you know, that look that you might have if your favorite lady made you something new to eat, and you take a bite, and you really want to spit it out, but you are trying to put on a pleasant face? THAT LOOK. I wasn't so subtle...I think the words I said was "holy" something! I gotta tell ya, this beer was God awful...I'm sorry, because all of the reviews of this product seem to give it a high mark, and I love coffee....but I could barely finish it. My boy Jones finished it, but choked it down. It is now almost the first of April 2014, and I still have two of these beers in my beer fridge - and the only way I was able to drink the other two was to mix it with Bud Select to thin it out....I know, I know, but I can only tell the truth!

The color of the beer is outstanding...but it went downhill after that for me. Me and my boy Jones are Missouri boys, and we enjoy several of the Mother's Brewing Company beers, but we will not buy this one ever again....maybe coffee stouts are not for us!

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

2.99/5  rDev -22.9%

Thin black with a wispy ligh tan head of a finger. Translucent edges. Doesn't stick around too long. Not much for lacing either. A rather bland looking stout to b honest.

Full on coffee aroma. Not a coffee drinker, but the strength of the aroma alone here is enough to get u going in the morning. Difficult to pick up much more, but coffee is what they were aiming for and it was a bullseye. I still have to have some barley in my stouts tho.

No surprise. Coffee and roasted notes. Smooth with no astringent roasted character or acidity commonlyp seen of the style. Straifhtforward with some sweet layers here and there.

M- Was too thin for my liking. So thin it's more of a cold coffee with no cream than a stout if there were no alcohol. Missed the mark here.

O- coffee lovers should seek out. I've enjoyed many o coffee stouts, but this one lacked the depth, complexity and character of many others. A lil too heavy on the adjuncts.

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

12 oz. bottle tried 14 Dec 2011. Served int he 04. L Stuttgarter Hofbrau snifter.

Medium sized brown head. Well carbonated. Clear dark brown in color. Aroma is lots of coffee, espresso, touch of licorice and ethanol. Flavor doesn't start as strong as the aroma. Coffee, some chocolate, espresso. A says a bit like a frappuccino. Light body and light ethanol. Becomes a little sweeter towards the middle. Roasty, espresso, touch of vanilla. Finishes with some burnt sugars, slightly acrid. Lightly burnt aftertaste.

Aroma was very nice but the taste didn't quite live up to expectations.

Winter Grind from Mother's Brewing Company