Winter Grind - Mother's Brewing Company

Mother's Brewing Company visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TippySelenoid on 11-03-2011

Sip away the season with Mother's Winter Grind. We've combined the rich goodness of a stout with our cold-brewed espresso blend, roasted for us by our coffee loving neighbors at the Mudhouse. The result is a wintery treat that'll give coffee and beer lovers a reason to cheer!

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.41/5  rDev -63.6%

It tasted like burnt coffee. Moreover, the not weak but not super strong malt was not enough to mask the awful coffee flavoring. I'll own up to chugging this one when I realized it was not going to get better. I practically never chug craft beers, but I'm poor, I was at a party, and I could not handle another second of the bitter, burnt coffee stout. Maybe this is just me, but I cannot do crap coffee. I don't expect or get super nice stuff. But if it's burnt or completely bitter. That's a non-option. It will never taste good to me. No matter the amount of creamer, or in this case, malt. (593 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -39.8%

This beer is ALL coffee, and not really very good coffee at that. There is no malt, no hops, nothing but coffee. I personally like coffee, but it should augment the maltiness of the beer, not completely overpower it. This stuff really does taste like somebody took some cold water and mixed it with old coffee grounds. This is not the only beer that I have tried from Mother's, and I have to say that I am really not impressed with any of their offerings that I have tried. (477 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -39%

This last winter (around November 2013), me and my boy Jones were trying to find another good, dark, winter-time brew. I had been noticing all of the different "coffee" stouts available, and decided I would try to locate one locally (here in no-wheres-ville Missouri, these kind of beers are not easy to find). But, to my surprise, a couple of our local beer-buying establishments had Mother's Brewing Company's Winter Grind...needless to say, Jones and I bought us a six-pack on one of those cold winter days!

We both took a drink of this brew at the same time...I really don't know how to describe what happened next. My boy Jones looked at me with a look that is very hard to describe...you know, that look that you might have if your favorite lady made you something new to eat, and you take a bite, and you really want to spit it out, but you are trying to put on a pleasant face? THAT LOOK. I wasn't so subtle...I think the words I said was "holy" something! I gotta tell ya, this beer was God awful...I'm sorry, because all of the reviews of this product seem to give it a high mark, and I love coffee....but I could barely finish it. My boy Jones finished it, but choked it down. It is now almost the first of April 2014, and I still have two of these beers in my beer fridge - and the only way I was able to drink the other two was to mix it with Bud Select to thin it out....I know, I know, but I can only tell the truth!

The color of the beer is outstanding...but it went downhill after that for me. Me and my boy Jones are Missouri boys, and we enjoy several of the Mother's Brewing Company beers, but we will not buy this one ever again....maybe coffee stouts are not for us! (1,690 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -22.2%

Thin black with a wispy ligh tan head of a finger. Translucent edges. Doesn't stick around too long. Not much for lacing either. A rather bland looking stout to b honest.

Full on coffee aroma. Not a coffee drinker, but the strength of the aroma alone here is enough to get u going in the morning. Difficult to pick up much more, but coffee is what they were aiming for and it was a bullseye. I still have to have some barley in my stouts tho.

No surprise. Coffee and roasted notes. Smooth with no astringent roasted character or acidity commonlyp seen of the style. Straifhtforward with some sweet layers here and there.

M- Was too thin for my liking. So thin it's more of a cold coffee with no cream than a stout if there were no alcohol. Missed the mark here.

O- coffee lovers should seek out. I've enjoyed many o coffee stouts, but this one lacked the depth, complexity and character of many others. A lil too heavy on the adjuncts. (943 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -15.5%

12 oz. bottle tried 14 Dec 2011. Served int he 04. L Stuttgarter Hofbrau snifter.

Medium sized brown head. Well carbonated. Clear dark brown in color. Aroma is lots of coffee, espresso, touch of licorice and ethanol. Flavor doesn't start as strong as the aroma. Coffee, some chocolate, espresso. A says a bit like a frappuccino. Light body and light ethanol. Becomes a little sweeter towards the middle. Roasty, espresso, touch of vanilla. Finishes with some burnt sugars, slightly acrid. Lightly burnt aftertaste.

Aroma was very nice but the taste didn't quite live up to expectations. (588 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a black color. 1/4 inch head of a tan color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of strong and fresh coffee, hint of roasted malt, hint of alcohol, and slight toffee. Fits the style of an American Stout. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong coffee, slight sweet malt, and a hint of roasted malt. Overall, coffee in both aroma and body was astonishing. The blend was lacking though, as the coffee over-powered all other aspects. (486 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L- 1 inch brown head, dark opaque espresso like look.

S- Espresso, roated marshmallow, dark fruit.

T- over the top espresso, burnt malt and heavy stout flavors.

F- watery cappuccino like carbonation.

O- the smell and look of this beer was deceiving to me. The overwhelming taste and thin feel was a letdown! (313 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

It's black with some tan head that quickly turns to a solid layer of lace.

It smells like coffee. It smell a lot like iced coffee. There are some toasty malt smells too. But its got HUGE coffee smells.

It tastes like coffee but in a beer way. It's a LOT of coffee. The bottle says it's made with cold brewed espresso, it tastes like it.

Its mouthfeel is pretty light. It's nice carbonation, pretty creamy.

Overall if you like your coffee stouts to tsate like coffee this beers for you. The coffee really dominates everything about this beer. It's a decent offering, but not something I'm crazy for. (629 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours black with a finger of light tan head that fades into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: Roasted malts with bold coffee aromas with some sweet chocolate mixed in as well. Simple, but nice.

T: Roasted malts and bitter coffee dominate the flavor, more bitter than the aroma. The bitterness gives it a charred flavor toward the end.

M: Medium body with lowish carbonation, this beer is a bit watery in the mouth.

O: A pretty decent stout, overall. It's simple, but smells good and tastes nice. It's a little too bitter on the tongue and could use a creamier body, but still a good beer that makes for easy drinking. (629 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -5.4%

(Note: personal scoring system is in whole numbers only)

12oz bottle given as extra by powz87, no bottling date, poured into Bells tulip and quaffed today, 2/21/2013

Aroma: Full of brewed black coffee. As a coffee drinker who likes my drip coffee as black as my soul, this is a welcome nose. However for the style, the coffee completely overwhelms any roast barley flavour you'd find in any stout. You do get hints of burnt sugar and barley malt but the coffee arises above all. It may just be me, but I've come to expect a little more stouty malt presence in coffee stouts. (3)

Colour: Looks jet black, becomes dark cola-coloured when illuminated. An appealing looking stout. Pours with a fluffy 3cm light brown head that dissipates within a minute. Lacing is decent. I call it above-average. (4)

Flavour: This brew's best suit. Coffee blast before, during and after. But unlike the nose, its somewhat balanced by a nice roast barley presence of burnt sugar, coffee and cocoa, which wins out in the end. And this is what makes it enjoyable. Its not particularly complex as its still dominated by the coffee but for the coffee stout style, it's quite good. (4)

Mouthfeel: Thinner medium body as expected for a stout, very good carbonation that leaves it fizzing on the tip of the tongue. It's on the dry side with the aftertaste being full of coffee and the roast barley flavours, which lingers for some time after each swallow. Pretty straightforward coffee stout. (3)

Overall: This is what it is- a nice coffee stout that's strong on the coffee. For a coffee drinker like me, I really like it. I am consciously forcing myself not to compare it to FBS or BCBCS or other imperial stouts with coffee in order to make this review a fair one. For the style, it beats out quite a few of the other coffee stouts I've had including New Glarus' coffee stout offering, but it doesn't make it to a 5 overall. (4) (1,909 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown, bordering black color with a finger of tan head.

Heavy coffee aroma and an off scent of hot wax.

Coffee flavor with not much depth. The finish is wet cardboard.

It's a small stout. Mouthfeel is thin for the style and some more body could have supported the big coffee flavor better.

Overall, it was a ok beer. It had good coffee flavor but no complexity to it and it drank light. (399 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Pours a black color with a small tan head that fades to some lacing.

S: Fresh aroma of coffee, dark chocolate with some roasted malt thrown in.

T: Taste follows the aroma with coffee, roasted malt with bittersweet chocolate. Mild bitterness and a dry finish.

F: Medium body, smooth and creamy, nicely balanced.

O: Easy drinker. good for a few. A quality beer from a small regional brewer. (395 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle pours a near opague black with quickly disapating head and minimal lacing. Fantastic intense coffee aroma. Taste is coffee, licorice, and chocolate but somewhat acrid. The acridity (if that's a word) extends to the mouthfeel, not very smooth - pretty harsh. The initial whiff gave me high hopes for this one but the great aroma didn't extend to the taste or mouthfeel. Not bad, but not something I would seek out again. (432 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Enjoyed on 12/6/13 from a stubby brown bottle with no dating that remember, but I do know for a fact that this is from the 2013 release of this Mother's seasonal. Poured into a 16 oz standard tumbler glass.

Appearance - Pours a midnight black body with ample two finger khaki head comprised of dense, microbubble foam. Takes a few minutes to dissipate, initially leaving faint sheets of lacing around the edge and a consistent, rather thick film of foam covering the body. As I drink it down, there is a consistent amount of lacing that is dense up near the top of the glass, but becomes more mottled and sparse as it gets closer to the liquid.

Smell - Dominated by fresh espresso, drip coffee, roasted malts and even some fainter hints of bittersweet chocolate, but that last part is harder to pick up. This bad boy is all coffee beer, based on the nose.

Taste - This one could be described, quite succinctly, as carbonated iced coffee. The element from the beans is just so prevalent that it really dominates anything else. It lacks a complexity, but in my experience, if you're reaching for a coffee beer, you aren't going to be disappointed with something that tastes like you're drinking straight-up coffee.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, but it's perhaps on the light side for a stout. Certainly a little thinner than another super popular stout with coffee that shall remain nameless (non barrel-aged). Carbonation is moderate--plenty to give this beer some notes of interest in the texture department. Finish is semi-sweet, as one might expect from the style.

Overall, this is an excellent coffee stout, and one that is reasonably priced and low enough in ABV that I could have a couple or few and not be done for the night. Certainly an acceptable part-time substitute for said other coffee stout, given the price and availability. Mother's seems to be putting out quite a few tasty beers these days. (1,929 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -1.3%

Strong coffee and not much else in the aroma, as it should be. A little bite from the carbonation. The coffee flavor is a bit mellower than the aroma would have you expect, but it lingers. Oatmeal in the background. Bitterness more from coffee than hops.

Straightforward coffee stout. Not much else going on other than the coffee. I'm not saying that's bad, but that's what it is. (381 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1%

I have been looking at Mother's Brewing products for a while, wondering if they are legit. I have seen them in a lot of stores, just have not really ever tried them on for size. This is my first Mother's experiment, kind of excited. Had no idea they were in Springfield, MO, which is n't too far from here. May be a day trip one day to go check out the goods. Anyway, side poured from the bottle into a Boulevard snifter.

Appearance - Black as coffee, true to name, with a small head that quickly evaporates, but this is usually the case with stouts. A small amount of lacing present. Love the packaging on all Mother's products.

Smell - Coffee dominates the nose from front to back. In fact, I have a hard time picking anything else out of the nose but the overwhelming coffee smell. Not that it is a bad thing, because although I hate the taste of coffee, I love the smell. I just wish it could be more balanced, so I knocked it a little here.

Taste - Again, coffee! Again, not that it is entirely a bad thing either! Coming from a guy who doesn't like coffee, this brew is done good enough where I actually really enjoy the taste. A small sidenote of chocolate and roasted malts can be vaguely detected, but mostly it is coffee.

Mouthfeel - I would like to see them make this stout a little less carbonated and watery. Bulk up the consistency some, make it creamier and thicker. Man this would be a formidable stout then. Medium carbonation, kind of light bodied for the style.

Overall - I would certainly recommend this beer, and will absolutely try it again. I could see this beer being a hit at parties, as it would be an excellent accompaniment to chocolate, tiramisu, or other dishes. They also suggested on the bottle to try it with vanilla bean ice cream for a Mother's float. Nice. I may have to give that a shot. Try this beer, especially if you like coffee, I think you will enjoy it! (1,902 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top; simple, but nice label. Brewed w/cold-pressed espresso from a local coffee vendor. Into my Pumking globe.

Appearance: Very dark brown, almost black, with deep ruby highlights if held up to a bright light. Nice, light-tan cap with decent retention.

Smell: I think I remember seeing on their website something like 'more coffee than stout' or something like that in describing this beer, and from the aromas, that's certainly true. RICH, vibrant, freshly-brewed coffee with notes of chocolate as well. That's all that's here, folks, but it's quite pleasant.

Taste: Rich, medium-roasted coffee and chocolate notes, with the slightest astringency and a whisp of dry grain on the finish. Just like in the aromas, coffee is front and center here. No real hop notes, very little malt presence; this is a coffee-lover's dream in beer form.

Mouthfeel: Begins very creamy (notes suggest that this might be brewed with oats) but ends just a bit lighter than I'd like. Still, not bad for a 6% brew.

Overall: My score here might be a bit harsh, because there's not a lot of DEPTH here (though this is true of many coffee beers). However, for coffee lovers and coffee-beer lovers, this is an excellent brew: hands-down, one of the best I've had (alongside fresh Redband and Schlafly Coffee Stout). Heck, this gives FBS a decent run for its money, and at around $8.99 a sixer, it's cheaper too. If you like coffee beers, this is well worth the search!

Overall: 88 = B+ (1,497 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Black in color with a fingers worth of tan head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted malt.

Taste- Rich coffee flavor with roasted malt and a hint of bitter chocolate.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied but a bit watery. Smooth with a slightly dry finish.

Overall- Very good stout, the coffee flavor is rich but not overpowering. Worth having again and again. (432 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Poured an opaque, jet black color with a thin, light brown head of foam. It left sudsy trails of lace on the glass.

S - Strong espresso aroma with a robust roastiness.

T - Great coffee flavor with notes of chocolate, strong raosted malt and a touch of piney bitterness.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a clean finish.

O - This is a really good coffee stout. Mother's has done very well with this one. Highly recommended. (450 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle with no noticeable date into a snifter. Gentle pour that produced a half finger of quickly fading head.

Appearance: Pitch black with tiny carbonation bubbles floating at the top. Poured with a half finger head that quickly faded away. Gentle lacing stays on the side of the glass.

Smell: Roasted coffee, dark malts, chocolate, cocoa, caramel, espresso, dark fruit

Taste: Smooth coffee bean, hint of vanilla creaminess

Overall: Fantastic coffee stout.. Not too big of a beer, but just the right amount of flavor. Perfect for a cool winter night. (580 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Pours a dark chocolate with a large 2 1/2 finger dark tan head. The head retention on this beer is very good but the lacing is about average

S - Lighter aroma than I anticapted but still a nice smellnig beer. Mainly coffee upfront. It does smell sweet with hints of chocolate int he back.

T - Lots going on in this beer. It tastes much like an iced coffee to me. Very enjoyable and refreshing. There are also undertones of chocolate and caramel present. Nicely done

M - Very good mouthfeel in this beer aswell. Its both creamy and think but goes down very smooth.

O - A great beer! Cant wait to pick this one up again. Great use of coffee as it seems balanced perfectly with the malts. A very refreshing beer as well. It'll be great around a campfire this winter! (771 characters)

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours an opaque ruby-tinted chocolate brown topped with a large foamy tan head.

Nose is full of roasted coffee beans with a touch of vegetal green pepper that always seems to accompany coffee beers. Though there is coffee flavor added, which usually detracts from a beer, there is clearly a lot of actual coffee used, so the "natural flavor" twang is thankfully missing. A bit of chocolate and roasted grain underneath, but the coffee is the big player.

The base stout comes through more on the palate, with a pretty big dose of caramel malt, alongside coffee beans, roasted malt, and a touch of grassy hops. Well balanced, and the best non-imperial coffee stout I've tried. (717 characters)

A- Pours a tar-like black with a tan head.

S- Smells like I just walked into a coffee house.

T-The taste is like a sledgehammer of coffee for the tastebuds. Not much nuance, but on a cold December night it hit the spot.

M- Medium bodied with an unusual amount of carbonation.

O- I enjoyed this beer, but thought the carbonation was a little too lively for the style. This is a once or twice or year brew for me. (416 characters)

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass:
Appearance: Nice pour with little cascade. Almost black with little or no head.
Smell: Coffee. Coffee. Coffee.
Taste: Mouth feel is good and not as heavy as you'd expect. Easy to drink. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. While the coffee is up front and in the finish, its really well balanced with the malt.
Overall: A stout you can drink all day, and not feel like you need a dinner napkin. I often fall a victim to getting too big of a beer as I want a beer with max flavor. Love my face blasting roasted malt bombs, but this beer is great because its so drinkable over time. I'll be grinding my winter away. Great stuff Mothers. (662 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +4.4%

January 26, 2015

12 oz bottle, snifter

A – Pours moderately inky, black, with some high viscosity. Less than a cm of khaki bubbles settle on top and then dissipate quickly.

S – Freshly pressed coffee of a medium-dark roast, absolutely the primary aroma. Very roasty, almost heading toward chicory. A light touch of chocolate. Hop aroma is hiding behind the coffee but contributing some bitterness on the nose.

T – Like a lightly carbonated, dark, iced coffee. The roasted malts are very strong. Very light hop flavor is earthy, mostly contributing mild bitterness on the back end.

M – Light carbonation and fairly full. Sweetness is low in favor of the roasted bitterness, and hop bitterness is mild. Fairly well-balanced, all in all. Very dry throughout, with lingering bitterness on the aftertaste.

O – For a straight-forward coffee beer, this is dang good, drinkable with breakfast. Not a ton of complexity, no hidden agenda. Just exactly what it is. (981 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast