Winter Grind - Mother's Brewing Company

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TippySelenoid on 11-03-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.33/5  rDev -41.2%

This beer is ALL coffee, and not really very good coffee at that. There is no malt, no hops, nothing but coffee. I personally like coffee, but it should augment the maltiness of the beer, not completely overpower it. This stuff really does taste like somebody took some cold water and mixed it with old coffee grounds. This is not the only beer that I have tried from Mother's, and I have to say that I am really not impressed with any of their offerings that I have tried.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

I got a relatively fresh six pack of this to enjoy and poured into a goblet-shaped claret glass.

Look: Very dark but when held up to the light a reddish hue glows at the edges of the glass. The head is quite tan and this baby laces like a Guinness. The color itself instantly reminded me of Coke, but a bit darker.

Smell: Very robust dark coffee and roasty toasty goodness that carries notes of toffee, black tea, and vanilla. It smells exactly like a delicious cup of espresso.

Taste: The taste is everything you'd want from both a cup of coffee and a stout; nice and bitter-sweet coffee with big amounts of classic stout malts. I also get semi-sweet chocolate, caramel, vanilla, licorice, and flutters of dark fruits. Delicious.

Feel: Quite smooth and pleasant, with a bit of lingering on the back of the palate.

Overall: Delicious! I can't wait to have this one in the morning just like a cup of coffee. It really is one of the best stouts I've had, let alone coffee stouts!

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Tastes like iced black coffee or coffee that has gotten cold before you drank it.
If you like your coffee and beer, like you like your women then this is it

4.76/5  rDev +20.2%

I am going to keep this brief. coffee stouts hold a huge place in my heart, and this is my favorite of the genre. good feel in the mouth. a very upfront coffee in your face smell, yet the coffee notes are cradled to bed by the smoothest and cleanest swallow I have found yet with a coffee stout. semi sweet chocolates with fill the back of your palate, while covering the rest with smokey, and roasty pine nut aromas.

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%

Very solid coffee stout from Mother's. The aroma is insanely powerful, if you're a coffee-lover, this is right up your alley. All rich espresso and bold notes. The taste is a bit sweeter but very much in balance, and everything else is well-crafted. A very easy-drinking coffee stout.

1.41/5  rDev -64.4%

It tasted like burnt coffee. Moreover, the not weak but not super strong malt was not enough to mask the awful coffee flavoring. I'll own up to chugging this one when I realized it was not going to get better. I practically never chug craft beers, but I'm poor, I was at a party, and I could not handle another second of the bitter, burnt coffee stout. Maybe this is just me, but I cannot do crap coffee. I don't expect or get super nice stuff. But if it's burnt or completely bitter. That's a non-option. It will never taste good to me. No matter the amount of creamer, or in this case, malt.

4.04/5  rDev +2%

January 26, 2015

12 oz bottle, snifter

A – Pours moderately inky, black, with some high viscosity. Less than a cm of khaki bubbles settle on top and then dissipate quickly.

S – Freshly pressed coffee of a medium-dark roast, absolutely the primary aroma. Very roasty, almost heading toward chicory. A light touch of chocolate. Hop aroma is hiding behind the coffee but contributing some bitterness on the nose.

T – Like a lightly carbonated, dark, iced coffee. The roasted malts are very strong. Very light hop flavor is earthy, mostly contributing mild bitterness on the back end.

M – Light carbonation and fairly full. Sweetness is low in favor of the roasted bitterness, and hop bitterness is mild. Fairly well-balanced, all in all. Very dry throughout, with lingering bitterness on the aftertaste.

O – For a straight-forward coffee beer, this is dang good, drinkable with breakfast. Not a ton of complexity, no hidden agenda. Just exactly what it is.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L- 1 inch brown head, dark opaque espresso like look.

S- Espresso, roated marshmallow, dark fruit.

T- over the top espresso, burnt malt and heavy stout flavors.

F- watery cappuccino like carbonation.

O- the smell and look of this beer was deceiving to me. The overwhelming taste and thin feel was a letdown!

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This dark brew pours fairly thin into the glass, but is almost black in color. A vigorous pour leaves you with a think, 3 finger head that retains awesomely and laces even better. Coffee hits the nose first and foremost and very dark. The scent of the coffee leans toward the bitter side and reminds me of a whiff of freshly opened coffee grinds. The coffee is pretty much the whole smell and translates straight into the taste. Dark and bitter coffee on the tongue is dead on to the scent. A touch of dark malts mix into the flavor on the back end of the taste in a primarily burnt flavor profile. The beer is smooth, but fairly thin and very easy to drink. Because the alcohol is only at 6% it is very easy to have a few of this.

Overall, this is probably the best, non-imperial coffee stout I have had. It has a great, dark, and bitter flavor and scent that is very high in quality.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass:
Appearance: Nice pour with little cascade. Almost black with little or no head.
Smell: Coffee. Coffee. Coffee.
Taste: Mouth feel is good and not as heavy as you'd expect. Easy to drink. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. While the coffee is up front and in the finish, its really well balanced with the malt.
Overall: A stout you can drink all day, and not feel like you need a dinner napkin. I often fall a victim to getting too big of a beer as I want a beer with max flavor. Love my face blasting roasted malt bombs, but this beer is great because its so drinkable over time. I'll be grinding my winter away. Great stuff Mothers.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Beer pours very dark brown with minimal head
Smell: This beer has the strongest coffee smell of any beer I've ever had. I can only pick up coffee, which is not a bad thing.
Taste: Once again, a very coffee forward tasting brew. No real sweetness, and bitterness comes from the coffee. Not a full bodied brew, but good, easy drinking. I wouldn't term it a stout though, because I did not pick up any roasted malt elements.
Overall: I really think that Mother's did a wonderful job with this beer. This is a beer that tastes like drinking an iced coffee, spot on. I would pick up another 6 pack.

2.36/5  rDev -40.4%

This last winter (around November 2013), me and my boy Jones were trying to find another good, dark, winter-time brew. I had been noticing all of the different "coffee" stouts available, and decided I would try to locate one locally (here in no-wheres-ville Missouri, these kind of beers are not easy to find). But, to my surprise, a couple of our local beer-buying establishments had Mother's Brewing Company's Winter Grind...needless to say, Jones and I bought us a six-pack on one of those cold winter days!

We both took a drink of this brew at the same time...I really don't know how to describe what happened next. My boy Jones looked at me with a look that is very hard to describe...you know, that look that you might have if your favorite lady made you something new to eat, and you take a bite, and you really want to spit it out, but you are trying to put on a pleasant face? THAT LOOK. I wasn't so subtle...I think the words I said was "holy" something! I gotta tell ya, this beer was God awful...I'm sorry, because all of the reviews of this product seem to give it a high mark, and I love coffee....but I could barely finish it. My boy Jones finished it, but choked it down. It is now almost the first of April 2014, and I still have two of these beers in my beer fridge - and the only way I was able to drink the other two was to mix it with Bud Select to thin it out....I know, I know, but I can only tell the truth!

The color of the beer is outstanding...but it went downhill after that for me. Me and my boy Jones are Missouri boys, and we enjoy several of the Mother's Brewing Company beers, but we will not buy this one ever again....maybe coffee stouts are not for us!

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a dark, rich coffee brown, not quite black. Thick tan head which recedes slowly and leaves heavy lacing behind. Even after it recedes, a thin layer of creamy bubbles floats on top.

Rich espresso aroma. Some cocoa and mild earthiness. Mostly coffee though.

Tastes of roasted coffee. Cream and cocoa go with grain notes. Mild earthy hops. Smooth malt backbone with a hint of smoke. Coffee flavors start sweet and creamy but ends with a bit of bitterness. not a hint of the 6% ABV.

Rich, smooth mouth feel. Slight bitterness in the aftertaste. Medium carbonation.

Very good coffee stout. Oats provide a wonderful smoothness. Coffee is dominant but other flavors provide a nice counterbalance. Fairly low ABV makes this very drinkable.

3.82/5  rDev -3.5%

Strong coffee and not much else in the aroma, as it should be. A little bite from the carbonation. The coffee flavor is a bit mellower than the aroma would have you expect, but it lingers. Oatmeal in the background. Bitterness more from coffee than hops.

Straightforward coffee stout. Not much else going on other than the coffee. I'm not saying that's bad, but that's what it is.

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

I poured this, expecting very little from a 'coffee stout'. But what a pleasant surprise. The coffee flavor's there, but not overpowering. There are hops, but they do not distract. And the stout is a standard, but tasty stout--thankfully not thick and oily.

This beer is a brilliant exercise in balance. I didn't notice any one ingredient until I focused on it. Else the coffee and stout and hops and alcohol go so well together, you just enjoy the beer.

3.81/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Enjoyed on 12/6/13 from a stubby brown bottle with no dating that remember, but I do know for a fact that this is from the 2013 release of this Mother's seasonal. Poured into a 16 oz standard tumbler glass.

Appearance - Pours a midnight black body with ample two finger khaki head comprised of dense, microbubble foam. Takes a few minutes to dissipate, initially leaving faint sheets of lacing around the edge and a consistent, rather thick film of foam covering the body. As I drink it down, there is a consistent amount of lacing that is dense up near the top of the glass, but becomes more mottled and sparse as it gets closer to the liquid.

Smell - Dominated by fresh espresso, drip coffee, roasted malts and even some fainter hints of bittersweet chocolate, but that last part is harder to pick up. This bad boy is all coffee beer, based on the nose.

Taste - This one could be described, quite succinctly, as carbonated iced coffee. The element from the beans is just so prevalent that it really dominates anything else. It lacks a complexity, but in my experience, if you're reaching for a coffee beer, you aren't going to be disappointed with something that tastes like you're drinking straight-up coffee.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, but it's perhaps on the light side for a stout. Certainly a little thinner than another super popular stout with coffee that shall remain nameless (non barrel-aged). Carbonation is moderate--plenty to give this beer some notes of interest in the texture department. Finish is semi-sweet, as one might expect from the style.

Overall, this is an excellent coffee stout, and one that is reasonably priced and low enough in ABV that I could have a couple or few and not be done for the night. Certainly an acceptable part-time substitute for said other coffee stout, given the price and availability. Mother's seems to be putting out quite a few tasty beers these days.

3.01/5  rDev -24%

Thin black with a wispy ligh tan head of a finger. Translucent edges. Doesn't stick around too long. Not much for lacing either. A rather bland looking stout to b honest.

Full on coffee aroma. Not a coffee drinker, but the strength of the aroma alone here is enough to get u going in the morning. Difficult to pick up much more, but coffee is what they were aiming for and it was a bullseye. I still have to have some barley in my stouts tho.

No surprise. Coffee and roasted notes. Smooth with no astringent roasted character or acidity commonlyp seen of the style. Straifhtforward with some sweet layers here and there.

M- Was too thin for my liking. So thin it's more of a cold coffee with no cream than a stout if there were no alcohol. Missed the mark here.

O- coffee lovers should seek out. I've enjoyed many o coffee stouts, but this one lacked the depth, complexity and character of many others. A lil too heavy on the adjuncts.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle with no noticeable date into a snifter. Gentle pour that produced a half finger of quickly fading head.

Appearance: Pitch black with tiny carbonation bubbles floating at the top. Poured with a half finger head that quickly faded away. Gentle lacing stays on the side of the glass.

Smell: Roasted coffee, dark malts, chocolate, cocoa, caramel, espresso, dark fruit

Taste: Smooth coffee bean, hint of vanilla creaminess

Overall: Fantastic coffee stout.. Not too big of a beer, but just the right amount of flavor. Perfect for a cool winter night.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Pours a dark chocolate with a large 2 1/2 finger dark tan head. The head retention on this beer is very good but the lacing is about average

S - Lighter aroma than I anticapted but still a nice smellnig beer. Mainly coffee upfront. It does smell sweet with hints of chocolate int he back.

T - Lots going on in this beer. It tastes much like an iced coffee to me. Very enjoyable and refreshing. There are also undertones of chocolate and caramel present. Nicely done

M - Very good mouthfeel in this beer aswell. Its both creamy and think but goes down very smooth.

O - A great beer! Cant wait to pick this one up again. Great use of coffee as it seems balanced perfectly with the malts. A very refreshing beer as well. It'll be great around a campfire this winter!

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown almost ruby colored. Nice brown head, immediately there are hints of coffee, cream, sugar, brown sugar some cinnamon. I like it. It has a nice mouthful and finishes rather smooth. This is Mother's best beer although their IPA is up there as well. Wished they had this year round.

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown, bordering black color with a finger of tan head.

Heavy coffee aroma and an off scent of hot wax.

Coffee flavor with not much depth. The finish is wet cardboard.

It's a small stout. Mouthfeel is thin for the style and some more body could have supported the big coffee flavor better.

Overall, it was a ok beer. It had good coffee flavor but no complexity to it and it drank light.

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It's not winter, but it is raining and cold. Thanks B & M for bringing this back directly from the Brewery and sharing.
"Sip away the season with Mother's Winter Grind. We've combined the rich goodness of a stout with our cold-brewed espresso blend, roasted for us by our coffee loving neighbors at the Mudhouse. The result is a wintery treat that'll give coffee and beer lovers a reason to cheer! Hungry? Goes great with steak & eggs or treats like tiramisu & chocolate cake. Or grab some vanilla bean ice cream for a Winter Grind float!"

Poured jet black color with a thin, light brown head of foam. Good head retention, left chunks of lace on the glass. Strong espresso coffee aroma, roasted malts, and a touch of smoke.
Full coffee flavor, rich creamy and smooth. Some cocoa/chocolate, One of the best coffee stouts I have had in a long time.
Medium bodied pushing to full, but not cloying. Suprisingly smooth and easy to drink.
Would love to try it straight of the tank, maybe a trip to Springfield is in order.

3.66/5  rDev -7.6%

(Note: personal scoring system is in whole numbers only)

12oz bottle given as extra by powz87, no bottling date, poured into Bells tulip and quaffed today, 2/21/2013

Aroma: Full of brewed black coffee. As a coffee drinker who likes my drip coffee as black as my soul, this is a welcome nose. However for the style, the coffee completely overwhelms any roast barley flavour you'd find in any stout. You do get hints of burnt sugar and barley malt but the coffee arises above all. It may just be me, but I've come to expect a little more stouty malt presence in coffee stouts. (3)

Colour: Looks jet black, becomes dark cola-coloured when illuminated. An appealing looking stout. Pours with a fluffy 3cm light brown head that dissipates within a minute. Lacing is decent. I call it above-average. (4)

Flavour: This brew's best suit. Coffee blast before, during and after. But unlike the nose, its somewhat balanced by a nice roast barley presence of burnt sugar, coffee and cocoa, which wins out in the end. And this is what makes it enjoyable. Its not particularly complex as its still dominated by the coffee but for the coffee stout style, it's quite good. (4)

Mouthfeel: Thinner medium body as expected for a stout, very good carbonation that leaves it fizzing on the tip of the tongue. It's on the dry side with the aftertaste being full of coffee and the roast barley flavours, which lingers for some time after each swallow. Pretty straightforward coffee stout. (3)

Overall: This is what it is- a nice coffee stout that's strong on the coffee. For a coffee drinker like me, I really like it. I am consciously forcing myself not to compare it to FBS or BCBCS or other imperial stouts with coffee in order to make this review a fair one. For the style, it beats out quite a few of the other coffee stouts I've had including New Glarus' coffee stout offering, but it doesn't make it to a 5 overall. (4)

3.88/5  rDev -2%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top; simple, but nice label. Brewed w/cold-pressed espresso from a local coffee vendor. Into my Pumking globe.

Appearance: Very dark brown, almost black, with deep ruby highlights if held up to a bright light. Nice, light-tan cap with decent retention.

Smell: I think I remember seeing on their website something like 'more coffee than stout' or something like that in describing this beer, and from the aromas, that's certainly true. RICH, vibrant, freshly-brewed coffee with notes of chocolate as well. That's all that's here, folks, but it's quite pleasant.

Taste: Rich, medium-roasted coffee and chocolate notes, with the slightest astringency and a whisp of dry grain on the finish. Just like in the aromas, coffee is front and center here. No real hop notes, very little malt presence; this is a coffee-lover's dream in beer form.

Mouthfeel: Begins very creamy (notes suggest that this might be brewed with oats) but ends just a bit lighter than I'd like. Still, not bad for a 6% brew.

Overall: My score here might be a bit harsh, because there's not a lot of DEPTH here (though this is true of many coffee beers). However, for coffee lovers and coffee-beer lovers, this is an excellent brew: hands-down, one of the best I've had (alongside fresh Redband and Schlafly Coffee Stout). Heck, this gives FBS a decent run for its money, and at around $8.99 a sixer, it's cheaper too. If you like coffee beers, this is well worth the search!

Overall: 88 = B+

4.82/5  rDev +21.7%

A: Pours a dark brown with an off-white head that filled up the rest of the glass to the brim. The airy head took forever to fade into a thick film leaving chunks of lace down the glass.

S: Tons of coffee on the nose mixed in with a few notes of malt; but almost all coffee. It smells like a french press of freshly ground coffee.

T: Coffee and more coffee. Not much else here, except that it is coffee with no acid and coffee with no astringency. Tastes like great coffee smells.

M: Medium to light body, for a stout, drying mouth feel with a touch of sweetness, and soft, even, carbonation.

O: A coffee lover's dream. Cannot wait to pair it with a sweet dessert.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast