2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Winter Grind - Mother's Brewing Company

Winter GrindWinter Grind

Mother's Brewing Company visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TippySelenoid on 11-03-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 94 | Reviews: 29 | Show All Ratings:
zeff80

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Poured an opaque, jet black color with a thin, light brown head of foam. It left sudsy trails of lace on the glass.

S - Strong espresso aroma with a robust roastiness.

T - Great coffee flavor with notes of chocolate, strong raosted malt and a touch of piney bitterness.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a clean finish.

O - This is a really good coffee stout. Mother's has done very well with this one. Highly recommended.

04-22-2012 03:09:19 | More by zeff80
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Had this on tap at LL Sayers in Joplin, MO.

Poured black with mocha head. Had Good head retention & sticky lacing

S: Coffee, coffee grounds & Baker's chocolate

T: Rich coffe presence up front with some carob & chocolate notes, plus a bit of woody hop presence, Coffee & cocoa flavor blend with some herbal & woody hop bitterness

MF: Much creamier than the bottled version, nice full body on it as well

This was way easier to drink on tap. I could either session on this or polish of some dessert, either way I would be happy

02-18-2012 13:15:57 | More by russpowell
Tone

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a black color. 1/4 inch head of a tan color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of strong and fresh coffee, hint of roasted malt, hint of alcohol, and slight toffee. Fits the style of an American Stout. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong coffee, slight sweet malt, and a hint of roasted malt. Overall, coffee in both aroma and body was astonishing. The blend was lacking though, as the coffee over-powered all other aspects.

01-03-2012 22:21:20 | More by Tone
DW_and_my_boy_Jones

2.3/5  rDev -40.3%

This last winter (around November 2013), me and my boy Jones were trying to find another good, dark, winter-time brew. I had been noticing all of the different "coffee" stouts available, and decided I would try to locate one locally (here in no-wheres-ville Missouri, these kind of beers are not easy to find). But, to my surprise, a couple of our local beer-buying establishments had Mother's Brewing Company's Winter Grind...needless to say, Jones and I bought us a six-pack on one of those cold winter days!

We both took a drink of this brew at the same time...I really don't know how to describe what happened next. My boy Jones looked at me with a look that is very hard to describe...you know, that look that you might have if your favorite lady made you something new to eat, and you take a bite, and you really want to spit it out, but you are trying to put on a pleasant face? THAT LOOK. I wasn't so subtle...I think the words I said was "holy" something! I gotta tell ya, this beer was God awful...I'm sorry, because all of the reviews of this product seem to give it a high mark, and I love coffee....but I could barely finish it. My boy Jones finished it, but choked it down. It is now almost the first of April 2014, and I still have two of these beers in my beer fridge - and the only way I was able to drink the other two was to mix it with Bud Select to thin it out....I know, I know, but I can only tell the truth!

The color of the beer is outstanding...but it went downhill after that for me. Me and my boy Jones are Missouri boys, and we enjoy several of the Mother's Brewing Company beers, but we will not buy this one ever again....maybe coffee stouts are not for us!

03-26-2014 20:13:24 | More by DW_and_my_boy_Jones
McNealc31

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Strong coffee and not much else in the aroma, as it should be. A little bite from the carbonation. The coffee flavor is a bit mellower than the aroma would have you expect, but it lingers. Oatmeal in the background. Bitterness more from coffee than hops.

Straightforward coffee stout. Not much else going on other than the coffee. I'm not saying that's bad, but that's what it is.

03-01-2014 01:45:36 | More by McNealc31
haggadah

4.74/5  rDev +23.1%

I poured this, expecting very little from a 'coffee stout'. But what a pleasant surprise. The coffee flavor's there, but not overpowering. There are hops, but they do not distract. And the stout is a standard, but tasty stout--thankfully not thick and oily.

This beer is a brilliant exercise in balance. I didn't notice any one ingredient until I focused on it. Else the coffee and stout and hops and alcohol go so well together, you just enjoy the beer.

12-30-2013 00:02:43 | More by haggadah
LambicPentameter

Kansas

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Enjoyed on 12/6/13 from a stubby brown bottle with no dating that remember, but I do know for a fact that this is from the 2013 release of this Mother's seasonal. Poured into a 16 oz standard tumbler glass.

Appearance - Pours a midnight black body with ample two finger khaki head comprised of dense, microbubble foam. Takes a few minutes to dissipate, initially leaving faint sheets of lacing around the edge and a consistent, rather thick film of foam covering the body. As I drink it down, there is a consistent amount of lacing that is dense up near the top of the glass, but becomes more mottled and sparse as it gets closer to the liquid.

Smell - Dominated by fresh espresso, drip coffee, roasted malts and even some fainter hints of bittersweet chocolate, but that last part is harder to pick up. This bad boy is all coffee beer, based on the nose.

Taste - This one could be described, quite succinctly, as carbonated iced coffee. The element from the beans is just so prevalent that it really dominates anything else. It lacks a complexity, but in my experience, if you're reaching for a coffee beer, you aren't going to be disappointed with something that tastes like you're drinking straight-up coffee.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, but it's perhaps on the light side for a stout. Certainly a little thinner than another super popular stout with coffee that shall remain nameless (non barrel-aged). Carbonation is moderate--plenty to give this beer some notes of interest in the texture department. Finish is semi-sweet, as one might expect from the style.

Overall, this is an excellent coffee stout, and one that is reasonably priced and low enough in ABV that I could have a couple or few and not be done for the night. Certainly an acceptable part-time substitute for said other coffee stout, given the price and availability. Mother's seems to be putting out quite a few tasty beers these days.

12-10-2013 20:26:57 | More by LambicPentameter
Bosoxfan20

2.99/5  rDev -22.3%

Thin black with a wispy ligh tan head of a finger. Translucent edges. Doesn't stick around too long. Not much for lacing either. A rather bland looking stout to b honest.

Full on coffee aroma. Not a coffee drinker, but the strength of the aroma alone here is enough to get u going in the morning. Difficult to pick up much more, but coffee is what they were aiming for and it was a bullseye. I still have to have some barley in my stouts tho.

No surprise. Coffee and roasted notes. Smooth with no astringent roasted character or acidity commonlyp seen of the style. Straifhtforward with some sweet layers here and there.

M- Was too thin for my liking. So thin it's more of a cold coffee with no cream than a stout if there were no alcohol. Missed the mark here.

O- coffee lovers should seek out. I've enjoyed many o coffee stouts, but this one lacked the depth, complexity and character of many others. A lil too heavy on the adjuncts.

11-28-2013 19:58:54 | More by Bosoxfan20
jmccullough108

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle with no noticeable date into a snifter. Gentle pour that produced a half finger of quickly fading head.

Appearance: Pitch black with tiny carbonation bubbles floating at the top. Poured with a half finger head that quickly faded away. Gentle lacing stays on the side of the glass.

Smell: Roasted coffee, dark malts, chocolate, cocoa, caramel, espresso, dark fruit

Taste: Smooth coffee bean, hint of vanilla creaminess

Overall: Fantastic coffee stout.. Not too big of a beer, but just the right amount of flavor. Perfect for a cool winter night.

11-12-2013 02:29:04 | More by jmccullough108
Goosehunter75

4.01/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Pours a dark chocolate with a large 2 1/2 finger dark tan head. The head retention on this beer is very good but the lacing is about average

S - Lighter aroma than I anticapted but still a nice smellnig beer. Mainly coffee upfront. It does smell sweet with hints of chocolate int he back.

T - Lots going on in this beer. It tastes much like an iced coffee to me. Very enjoyable and refreshing. There are also undertones of chocolate and caramel present. Nicely done

M - Very good mouthfeel in this beer aswell. Its both creamy and think but goes down very smooth.

O - A great beer! Cant wait to pick this one up again. Great use of coffee as it seems balanced perfectly with the malts. A very refreshing beer as well. It'll be great around a campfire this winter!

11-06-2013 19:44:16 | More by Goosehunter75
rtrasr

Arkansas

4.49/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown almost ruby colored. Nice brown head, immediately there are hints of coffee, cream, sugar, brown sugar some cinnamon. I like it. It has a nice mouthful and finishes rather smooth. This is Mother's best beer although their IPA is up there as well. Wished they had this year round.

08-06-2013 00:04:12 | More by rtrasr
Vonerichs

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown, bordering black color with a finger of tan head.

Heavy coffee aroma and an off scent of hot wax.

Coffee flavor with not much depth. The finish is wet cardboard.

It's a small stout. Mouthfeel is thin for the style and some more body could have supported the big coffee flavor better.

Overall, it was a ok beer. It had good coffee flavor but no complexity to it and it drank light.

05-24-2013 02:00:47 | More by Vonerichs
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It's not winter, but it is raining and cold. Thanks B & M for bringing this back directly from the Brewery and sharing.
"Sip away the season with Mother's Winter Grind. We've combined the rich goodness of a stout with our cold-brewed espresso blend, roasted for us by our coffee loving neighbors at the Mudhouse. The result is a wintery treat that'll give coffee and beer lovers a reason to cheer! Hungry? Goes great with steak & eggs or treats like tiramisu & chocolate cake. Or grab some vanilla bean ice cream for a Winter Grind float!"

Poured jet black color with a thin, light brown head of foam. Good head retention, left chunks of lace on the glass. Strong espresso coffee aroma, roasted malts, and a touch of smoke.
Full coffee flavor, rich creamy and smooth. Some cocoa/chocolate, One of the best coffee stouts I have had in a long time.
Medium bodied pushing to full, but not cloying. Suprisingly smooth and easy to drink.
Would love to try it straight of the tank, maybe a trip to Springfield is in order.

05-23-2013 13:57:35 | More by BigBry
Stevedore

Wisconsin

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

(Note: personal scoring system is in whole numbers only)

12oz bottle given as extra by powz87, no bottling date, poured into Bells tulip and quaffed today, 2/21/2013

Aroma: Full of brewed black coffee. As a coffee drinker who likes my drip coffee as black as my soul, this is a welcome nose. However for the style, the coffee completely overwhelms any roast barley flavour you'd find in any stout. You do get hints of burnt sugar and barley malt but the coffee arises above all. It may just be me, but I've come to expect a little more stouty malt presence in coffee stouts. (3)

Colour: Looks jet black, becomes dark cola-coloured when illuminated. An appealing looking stout. Pours with a fluffy 3cm light brown head that dissipates within a minute. Lacing is decent. I call it above-average. (4)

Flavour: This brew's best suit. Coffee blast before, during and after. But unlike the nose, its somewhat balanced by a nice roast barley presence of burnt sugar, coffee and cocoa, which wins out in the end. And this is what makes it enjoyable. Its not particularly complex as its still dominated by the coffee but for the coffee stout style, it's quite good. (4)

Mouthfeel: Thinner medium body as expected for a stout, very good carbonation that leaves it fizzing on the tip of the tongue. It's on the dry side with the aftertaste being full of coffee and the roast barley flavours, which lingers for some time after each swallow. Pretty straightforward coffee stout. (3)

Overall: This is what it is- a nice coffee stout that's strong on the coffee. For a coffee drinker like me, I really like it. I am consciously forcing myself not to compare it to FBS or BCBCS or other imperial stouts with coffee in order to make this review a fair one. For the style, it beats out quite a few of the other coffee stouts I've had including New Glarus' coffee stout offering, but it doesn't make it to a 5 overall. (4)

02-22-2013 03:14:14 | More by Stevedore
BedetheVenerable

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top; simple, but nice label. Brewed w/cold-pressed espresso from a local coffee vendor. Into my Pumking globe.

Appearance: Very dark brown, almost black, with deep ruby highlights if held up to a bright light. Nice, light-tan cap with decent retention.

Smell: I think I remember seeing on their website something like 'more coffee than stout' or something like that in describing this beer, and from the aromas, that's certainly true. RICH, vibrant, freshly-brewed coffee with notes of chocolate as well. That's all that's here, folks, but it's quite pleasant.

Taste: Rich, medium-roasted coffee and chocolate notes, with the slightest astringency and a whisp of dry grain on the finish. Just like in the aromas, coffee is front and center here. No real hop notes, very little malt presence; this is a coffee-lover's dream in beer form.

Mouthfeel: Begins very creamy (notes suggest that this might be brewed with oats) but ends just a bit lighter than I'd like. Still, not bad for a 6% brew.

Overall: My score here might be a bit harsh, because there's not a lot of DEPTH here (though this is true of many coffee beers). However, for coffee lovers and coffee-beer lovers, this is an excellent brew: hands-down, one of the best I've had (alongside fresh Redband and Schlafly Coffee Stout). Heck, this gives FBS a decent run for its money, and at around $8.99 a sixer, it's cheaper too. If you like coffee beers, this is well worth the search!

Overall: 88 = B+

01-04-2013 04:43:39 | More by BedetheVenerable
Ed_Johnson

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

A: Pours a dark brown with an off-white head that filled up the rest of the glass to the brim. The airy head took forever to fade into a thick film leaving chunks of lace down the glass.

S: Tons of coffee on the nose mixed in with a few notes of malt; but almost all coffee. It smells like a french press of freshly ground coffee.

T: Coffee and more coffee. Not much else here, except that it is coffee with no acid and coffee with no astringency. Tastes like great coffee smells.

M: Medium to light body, for a stout, drying mouth feel with a touch of sweetness, and soft, even, carbonation.

O: A coffee lover's dream. Cannot wait to pair it with a sweet dessert.

12-31-2012 22:54:30 | More by Ed_Johnson
pixieskid

Germany

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Have had several mothers beers, by far the best offering I have had. This one deserves a bit higher of an overall score in my opinion. If you like coffee in your stouts, this one is definitely worth picking up if you have the chance.

Delicious stout full of delightful coffee notes. From the roastiness to the espresso bitterness; just amazing in terms of coffee flavors. Additionally, solid milk chocolate notes with a rounded roastiness and med body; nice creamy mouthfeel as well.

Overall; for a mid-level abv stout with coffee added, this thing is killer. Highly recommend if you like coffee notes in your beer...

12-15-2012 23:45:35 | More by pixieskid
TheCondor

3.85/5  rDev 0%

I have been looking at Mother's Brewing products for a while, wondering if they are legit. I have seen them in a lot of stores, just have not really ever tried them on for size. This is my first Mother's experiment, kind of excited. Had no idea they were in Springfield, MO, which is n't too far from here. May be a day trip one day to go check out the goods. Anyway, side poured from the bottle into a Boulevard snifter.

Appearance - Black as coffee, true to name, with a small head that quickly evaporates, but this is usually the case with stouts. A small amount of lacing present. Love the packaging on all Mother's products.

Smell - Coffee dominates the nose from front to back. In fact, I have a hard time picking anything else out of the nose but the overwhelming coffee smell. Not that it is a bad thing, because although I hate the taste of coffee, I love the smell. I just wish it could be more balanced, so I knocked it a little here.

Taste - Again, coffee! Again, not that it is entirely a bad thing either! Coming from a guy who doesn't like coffee, this brew is done good enough where I actually really enjoy the taste. A small sidenote of chocolate and roasted malts can be vaguely detected, but mostly it is coffee.

Mouthfeel - I would like to see them make this stout a little less carbonated and watery. Bulk up the consistency some, make it creamier and thicker. Man this would be a formidable stout then. Medium carbonation, kind of light bodied for the style.

Overall - I would certainly recommend this beer, and will absolutely try it again. I could see this beer being a hit at parties, as it would be an excellent accompaniment to chocolate, tiramisu, or other dishes. They also suggested on the bottle to try it with vanilla bean ice cream for a Mother's float. Nice. I may have to give that a shot. Try this beer, especially if you like coffee, I think you will enjoy it!

11-26-2012 04:13:39 | More by TheCondor
brewerburgundy

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

12oz bottle, Boulevard tulip, no visible freshness dating (Mother's usually stamps a Julian date according to Fresh Beer Only).

It's an opaque Stout, with just a dollop of garnet in the divot of the glass above the stem. The head is dark oatmeal colored, thick and like crema.

Sweetened, silky espresso nose. It has that hint of charcoal, like another instant in the oven would have burned the beans, but the brewer and roaster knew what they were doing.

It remains all about the coffee and an almost perfect balance of dark seductive espresso, sweetness, and a dairy note that teases half and half and melds with the burnt caramel, clean sugar sweetness.

This has none of the sludgy thick characteristics of dark mean espresso, but the dairy note invades the texture as well, with a smooth richness for a relatively small beer. A bit like an Oatmeal Stout, but not chewy.

I have not had a coffee beer for awhile, but this is very possibly the best I've had. It is completely coffee-centric with a wonderfully fresh-brewed flavor.

11-14-2012 20:34:01 | More by brewerburgundy
scratch69

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Black in color with a fingers worth of tan head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted malt.

Taste- Rich coffee flavor with roasted malt and a hint of bitter chocolate.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied but a bit watery. Smooth with a slightly dry finish.

Overall- Very good stout, the coffee flavor is rich but not overpowering. Worth having again and again.

11-12-2012 16:38:31 | More by scratch69
soju6

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Pours a black color with a small tan head that fades to some lacing.

S: Fresh aroma of coffee, dark chocolate with some roasted malt thrown in.

T: Taste follows the aroma with coffee, roasted malt with bittersweet chocolate. Mild bitterness and a dry finish.

F: Medium body, smooth and creamy, nicely balanced.

O: Easy drinker. good for a few. A quality beer from a small regional brewer.

05-23-2012 11:52:00 | More by soju6
JEdmund

Kansas

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

A really nice looking stout thanks to its luscious head; it’s thick and creamy and tan. The brew shows some ruby highlights in an otherwise black body.

Mother’s really nailed the coffee aroma on this. This is what I want to smell! And how cool the Mudhouse provided the beans! Coffee notes are complemented by chocolate notes.

Coffee flavor is equally nailed. It’s not overpowering, nor is it lacking—just right. Body also gets high marks for feeling full and velvety, though it’s not actually thick or syrupy. The finish is nice and dry, with a slight woodsy flavor.

This is only my second Mother’s beer, and it outshines Three Blind Mice. It’s a stellar coffee stout, and I really like it. I’m happy to have tried it, and I’ll have to pick up a six-pack of next year’s release.

04-19-2012 22:56:59 | More by JEdmund
coldriver

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle pours a near opague black with quickly disapating head and minimal lacing. Fantastic intense coffee aroma. Taste is coffee, licorice, and chocolate but somewhat acrid. The acridity (if that's a word) extends to the mouthfeel, not very smooth - pretty harsh. The initial whiff gave me high hopes for this one but the great aroma didn't extend to the taste or mouthfeel. Not bad, but not something I would seek out again.

03-23-2012 23:07:44 | More by coldriver
htomsirveaux

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

12 oz. bottle tried 14 Dec 2011. Served int he 04. L Stuttgarter Hofbrau snifter.

Medium sized brown head. Well carbonated. Clear dark brown in color. Aroma is lots of coffee, espresso, touch of licorice and ethanol. Flavor doesn't start as strong as the aroma. Coffee, some chocolate, espresso. A says a bit like a frappuccino. Light body and light ethanol. Becomes a little sweeter towards the middle. Roasty, espresso, touch of vanilla. Finishes with some burnt sugars, slightly acrid. Lightly burnt aftertaste.

Aroma was very nice but the taste didn't quite live up to expectations.

03-22-2012 03:23:46 | More by htomsirveaux
Amerrell

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

If you take your coffee black, you'll like this beer. Pours jet black with a 2 finger off white head. Aroma is all coffee. Starts off tasting like cold espresso. A little bit of the milky sweet stout taste comes through in the middle, then finishes off with some bitterness that I assume ones from the coffee. Tastes like someone took a good stout then poured in a few shots of quality espresso.

Personally I love this beer. It makes me sad it's seasonal, I'd drink it year round. I can certainly understand how someone may find the coffee overpowering though, it's rather strong. So be advised.

03-20-2012 02:35:35 | More by Amerrell