Thank You - Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company visit their website
Alaska, United States

Hefeweizen |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: ThatsThatDude on 06-06-2014

It's a German Hefe with Brett (of course) made for the owner of the Snow Goose Pub, Gary Klopfer. It's a big thanks to him for letting me get my start in his building and letting us rent his brewhouse to produce wort.
to view more.
Ratings: 15 | Reviews: 5
3.74/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is cloudy straw yellow with a small white head.

Smell is lemon and pineapple brett.

Taste is pretty generic brett blonde. I can't say I'm really get any of the base hefe esters, perhaps a hint of clove.

Mouthfeel is light, soft, dry.

Drinkability is high, a light, refreshing blonde. This would have presumably had some of the hefe esters fresh, but even such a short time in the bottle the brett has neutralized it. And that is not a bad thing, but disappointing for anyone looking for a hefe.

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Appearance: Sitting in the glass it looks like dehydrated yurine, opaque with a moderate head... which is good.

Smell: On the sweet and sour end.

Taste: The taste was okay for me, compared to microbrews it's a solid 4... but if your a craft drinker, chances are that you had something better, in which case- a 2 or a solid 3.

Mouthfeel: it was moderately thick, satisfyingly. Anchorage Brewing Company is hands down the most consistent when it comes to this category, everything they have is thick and heavy!!! Mmmm...

Overall: I LOVE this company and everything they have to offer, but this didn't quiet do it for me for some reason, it was an average experience at premium pricing, which is not to say it wasn't worth it! It was, BUT I can tell it was a long shot to make a German beer (were in Alaska!!!), but as a tribute to a veteran (and well respected) brewer, this was a little TOO AMBITIOUS!

4.14/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A-golden color with a nice shite head and great lacing

S-bread, bananas, slight sour grapes, little spice, slight funk

T-bready malt, light lemon, yeast, light funk, hint of banana, spice

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-really enjoyed this unique beer, the Brett was a really nice touch

1.86/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Alright, I'll say something on this.
This was poured into a weizen glass.
There was a clear yellow color with a slight transparency about it allowing some light carbonation to be seen rising. The head was a bit thinner than most hefeweizens I've seen.
The smell was too sour and tart to be a hefeweizen. No bready/yeastiness, no banana esters, sour lemon with too much brett.
The taste was based around the brett- too sour and too tart.
The mouthfeel was too sharp and from what I've been learning, it sounds like the brett was overused.
Overall, swill, pure swill. I'd probably never touch this again. From what I know this would probably piss off most Germans if one would tell them that this is a hefeweizen.

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Updated review 5-7-15

1 year since release - this beer is coming into its own. Still an easy drinker, but the fruity esters and the brett is more pronounced now. This beer is has finally grown into the original advertisement - a brett hefe. A very pleasant surprise considering my initial impression at the release. Time has been kind to Thank You. I will be scouring obscure bottle shops in search of dusty bottles. In Gabe we trust.

to view more.